Silverback

Noob Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi guys :hi:! First off, sorry if this thread is in the wrong place. I figured this would be the best subforum to put this out there as I'd like feedback from the stores themselves and the community at large. But if it has to be moved, I understand.

I have several issues with the level of professionalism that I've encountered over the last few months. My perception is, I guess, influenced by both my experience working for some time in retail and generally the standard I expect as a customer. I'm not sure if this is an issue that anyone else relates to?

I've had experiences where store employees work with no shoes on, swear constantly, don't know what items are in stock or not (popular items, nothing niche), don't know the price of juices off-hand, have ignored me, and/or other customers waiting in the store because they're chatting to their colleagues behind the counter/in the store or gaming.

I know that some people will say, 'the vaping community is chilled and friendly and we're all bros' but I can't help feeling that all this will reflect poorly on the industry as a whole, especially to outsiders/regulators etc.

Am I over reacting, or should we expect better standards in our stores:THINKINGFACE:?

Thread moved to the "Who has stock" subforum just in case vendors want to participate with discussing their products and services

Not over reacting at all, iv been in stores that i would feel uncomfortable referring to refined/cultured/elderly gentlemen/ladies looking to kick the habbit, of course this cant be said for all stores. Some set a fantastic example of what a vape store should be.

I think everyone would agree that any store should display a descent level of professionalism.
I for one would never buy from Vapemob (Bellville) again because of the experience i had. It was no biggie since there are many other stores to use. I just scratched them off my list. :)
If you are not willing to name-and-shame any stores then give them a pm or call and maybe they would do something about it.

I fully agree, some shops, and some even on our Supporting vendor list just does not provide the service that I feel they should, since vaping is still relatively new.
When I just started with the Ijust and Goblin mini on loan from my brother. I went to 4 of the shops in our general area. At only one of them did the employees actually HELP me, and that was atJuicy Joes. Took some time to listen to my budget/expectation and made relevant suggestions.
At VapeMob Bellville the guy behind the counter talked down to me and actually made me rethink this vape-subculture, I really did not feel welcome. The fact that I went back and another employee actually talked c**p about the other vendors and how they operate put me off and was the last straw, will not support them again. I left the shop with close to R2k worth of goods on the counter.
At VapeCartel I was standing there, hoping to be helped but they employees obviously rather help their regulars/friends. Unfortunately I was pressed for a certain product that only they had stock off so I had to wait.
VapeMob Longstreet, after asking for help and explaining why I did not want to use pliers on the new RTA, they guy took out his leatherman and scratched the chimney of said RTA. I asked them for one of those ceramic pliers with the ring, but he just rammed om and couldnt get it loose even with his leatherman. Guess what, the pliers worked perfectly. I bought them and did the job myself, but on a scratched RTA unfortunately.

TL: DR, employees should listen to newbies, should assist everyone fairly, LISTEN To requests, do not talk down to anyone

Thank you for this thread

Last edited:
I understand your point exactly and agree on your general view - some serious customer service training/guidance is required by pretty much most of the retail outlets...

As echoed above, one never feels too comfortable in these stores as the chaps behind the counter are all self confessed experts and they will flog whatever the owner told them or whatever the current craze is. I still feel intimidated as a relative seasoned vapor as the assumption is that they know better - but as stated, this is often not the case.

I never get a warm welcome (except at my local store in Fourways with a crown and a star by a chap who's name rhymes with jolly ;)) but rather treated like another consult at divorce court. I have to explain my history and apologise that I really like vanilla custard juice and not the new dragonfruit-litchi-strawberry-mango-kiwi--berry-grape- watermelon-papaya-apple-lime-anise concoction.

The whole counter thing does not work for me either - besides security reasons, can we not rather have the stuff displayed around the store? Why must everything be behind lock and key in fancy glass cabinets? Not even the iStore keep all their most valuable assets hidden away from customers....I can happily go to any iStore and tinker on the new iMac at R50k - but *(insert religious deity here) forbid I want to hold the minikin...
Have some juice sampling stations - I'm sure the manufacturers wont mind throwing in a couple of sample bottles with each order...with a pretty lady with BIIIGGGG blue eyes (offense intended) and she'll double the vanilla custard sales in a day - not some snot nose, pimple ridden laaitie who wants to blow another mushroom type thingy to impress his chommies...

The store with the clouds and a lounge ;-) is on the right track but it feels like the vaping aspect is a sideline rather than the main focus...

We're not buying roast chicken at the counter at Woolies - mind you - the lady behind the roast chicken counter at Woolies is far more helpful and does not look at me funny if I only take a small chicken this week...

Get with it guys...

This is exactly why I'm very scared to visit a shop. I've been vaping for quite some time now, and I've never put a foot into a shop. I do all my shopping and research online.

I've been to a few retailers of late - Vape Cartel Greenside - outstanding service, the young chap was very helpful & chatted away like we'd know one another for decades. Vape King Krugersdorp, those guys were very efficient and friendly. The bad ones I won't even bother with but agree that some sort of training needs to be implemented.

Hehe, ok I just deleted about 15 minutes worth of typing. But I decided not to rant.

We are all in agreement that ...

Training is essential! In retail especially, you should train staff in, or employ someone that knows, the fine art of retail. Enthusiasm for the product is one thing. And that is something we cannot take away from any of the vape store employees. But knowing your client and reading a first time client is something that most of them can work on and then building a relationship with the client.

AND THEN .. common sense and basic manners in-front of clients.

I do not live in one of the big cities and so have not been able to visit a store as yet, but I have had similar experience with online vendors.
I have had people that replied to my emails with questions within an hour or so, even when I am clearly just planning a small purchase - which I think is excellent... And some that have not even bothered to reply at all, which if you are running an online shop is just kinda rude in my opinion.
The good ones I recommend and the bad ones I just don't support again.
Thank goodness for choice!

I fully agree, some shops, and some even on our Supporting vendor list just does not provide the service that I feel they should, since vaping is still relatively new.
When I just started with the Ijust and Goblin mini on loan from my brother. I went to 4 of the shops in our general area. At only one of them did the employees actually HELP me, and that was atJuicy Joes. Took some time to listen to my budget/expectation and made relevant suggestions.
At VapeMob Bellville the guy behind the counter talked down to me and actually made me rethink this vape-subculture, I really did not feel welcome. The fact that I went back and another employee actually talked c**p about the other vendors and how they operate put me off and was the last straw, will not support them again. I left the shop with close to R2k worth of goods on the counter.
At VapeCartel I was standing there, hoping to be helped but they employees obviously rather help their regulars/friends. Unfortunately I was pressed for a certain product that only they had stock off so I had to wait.
VapeMob Longstreet, after asking for help and explaining why I did not want to use pliers on the new RTA, they guy took out his leatherman and scratched the chimney of said RTA. I asked them for one of those ceramic pliers with the ring, but he just rammed om and couldnt get it loose even with his leatherman. Guess what, the pliers worked perfectly. I bought them and did the job myself, but on a scratched RTA unfortunately.

TL: DR, employees should listen to newbies, should assist everyone fairly, LISTEN To requests, do not talk down to anyone

Thank you for this thread
I had a similar experience at vape cartel on Saturday. Being new to this and wanting to get my first mod, I felt like I was unwelcomed especially when I mentioned that I'll only be purchasing next month. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to visit any other shops, but the level of service at vape shop canal walk was way better even though I kept asking the same questions each time I would pass by.

Its really heartening and messed up that people are having these similar experiences. I'm JHB based, so as I said earlier, I've had the chance to pop into a good few stores. By far the worst culprit personally is Vaperite.

I had a massive issue with their Melrose store a couple of months back, which I took up with their head office. To their credit the were apologetic and offered me a discount on my next purchase. I went in a few days later to give them another shot, and ended up leaving without buying and never going back. A few weeks ago I was in the east and their Bedford branch was open, had an even worse experience. The quality control on the people they hire seems non existent.

If I had to name top three on my shizz list, based on overall experience it would be Vaperite, Vapeking and Vape Cartel, greenside (where the guy was shoe-less, gaming and completely ignoring the customers in the store.

Stores, please get it together ;( I don't think we're asking for a lot.

This is a great thread you started @Silverback

I too have been quite frustrated at some shops where the young chaps behind the counter seem to think its "cool" to be working in a vape shop. And they dont know how to listen and advise correctly.

But

There are many great shops too. With outsanding people that listen and try their best to advise you on what would work for you. I far prefer someone who pays attention and tries to help but may not know everything than someone who may know a lot more, but makes you feel like they are doing you a favour.

I sincerely hope that vendors read this thread and dont view it as a bashing but rather as constructive feedback. To improve and up their game.

There are many great shops too.
You guys up north are blessed with many great shops. Down here we only have a few and them some of them are linked and unfortunately I will not visit either of the "chained" stores, since I havn't had any joy from one of them.

I sincerely hope that vendors read this thread and dont view it as a bashing but rather as constructive feedback. To improve and up their game.

That is what this community is about, HELPING. We cannot expect vaping to become bigger and better in SA if our vendors are not aware of the fact that employees are doing harm to the enthusiasm of the community. Honestly if we only had the one shop in Bellville I would most probably not have continued vaping.

As a vendor I can only thank every one for this thread.

We ave already put processes in place to improve the experience of shopping with Vape Cartel :) We have also taken everything mentioned here in to account and we will build even further on the plans currently in place

A friend of mine wants to start vaping, but wont go in to a vape store after being with me while I was trying to buy some juice. He's convinced that the staff won't answer his questions or will be snobby again because he's a "noob".

Another friend of mine is a vaper and a mother, apparently at one of the shops there was a really young guy buying juice and gear, and being a mother she's concerned with the whole underage debate, and asked the guy helping her if they had asked the guy's age, they replied "nah we don't do that, but we won't sell him anything with nicotine in it". :rolleyes:

Glad this thread was started, these are issues in all retail fields, but it would be nice if there was a more pro-active movement to try and maintain the image and accessibility to vaping.

A friend of mine wants to start vaping, but wont go in to a vape store after being with me while I was trying to buy some juice. He's convinced that the staff won't answer his questions or will be snobby again because he's a "noob".

Another friend of mine is a vaper and a mother, apparently at one of the shops there was a really young guy buying juice and gear, and being a mother she's concerned with the whole underage debate, and asked the guy helping her if they had asked the guy's age, they replied "nah we don't do that, but we won't sell him anything with nicotine in it". :rolleyes:

Glad this thread was started, these are issues in all retail fields, but it would be nice if there was a more pro-active movement to try and maintain the image and accessibility to vaping.

You know how many times ive seen this where items get sold but its "OK" cause it doesnt have nicotine.

What a load a crap... What about all the other toxins? Nicotine is probably the least of our worries.

Vaping should be for 18 and over full stop no ifs no buts...

Please bring your mate to Vape Cartel :) We love helping out noobies and will take the time to answer all of his questions. We have staff who have been vaping for a couple years as well as a couple months. If it will make him feel easier, he can chat to Chad the the Meyersdal Store. He is our teams newest vaper and truly understands how intimidating it can be when starting out :)

Regarding the underage debate, we will not sell anything to anyone under 18. We chase guys out the store daily trying their luck.
The only time we ever make an exception is if someone under 18 comes in to the store WITH a parent. We have actually had some parents come in with their kids to get them a set up as they were smoking on the sly. It is only under these circumstances. the same kid can come in alone and will not be served

You know how many times ive seen this where items get sold but its "OK" cause it doesnt have nicotine.

What a load a crap... What about all the other toxins? Nicotine is probably the least of our worries.

Vaping should be for 18 and over full stop no ifs no buts...

And vendors should have a strong stance on that, because at the end of the day it's just shooting the whole vape-scene in the foot.

Please bring your mate to Vape Cartel :) We love helping out noobies and will take the time to answer all of his questions. We have staff who have been vaping for a couple years as well as a couple months. If it will make him feel easier, he can chat to Chad the the Meyersdal Store. He is our teams newest vaper and truly understands how intimidating it can be when starting out :)

Regarding the underage debate, we will not sell anything to anyone under 18. We chase guys out the store daily trying their luck.
The only time we ever make an exception is if someone under 18 comes in to the store WITH a parent. We have actually had some parents come in with their kids to get them a set up as they were smoking on the sly. It is only under these circumstances. the same kid can come in alone and will not be served

Thanks I'll do that, because he keeps bugging me to just choose his gear for him online, and I keep telling him it's all part of the experience to go in and get a hands-on feel for the gear.

I can vouch for Vape Cartel Meyersdal , really friendly staff , Ryan always helps me out even when i need my batteries re wrapped, and when Keenan is there hes also very helpful.

I totally agree with the lack of service and am glad some vendors are going to work on improving it.

I also think store layout plays a major role in this issue. I haven't seen a single vape store yet that I could just see what I want and how much it costs let alone see something interesting and read up on it without intervention. How much time is wasted on people simply waiting and asking the price of an item or "what this RTA/Mod is that's on special?"

So a typical experience:
Go somewhere...
Pass a vape store...
Let the family carry on and wait 20min to be served...
First I have to ask if they have coils for 'X'...
Then they need to go check...
Then I need to ask how much they are...
Then they go find out (and God forbid there's more than one variation of coil because I have to ask for each one while they go check each time)...
They tell me the price...
I say 'OK' and look to see if there's anything and they look at me condescendingly for wasting their time...
I'm thinking how the hell could they be twice as expensive as the 2 vendors I checked on my phone while having my last vape, nevertheless I continue to look for something to buy since I went in there...
I ask about an item that might make the effort worthwhile for us both...
I get an uninformed answer that directly contradicts what is written on the packaging, let alone more detailed information than what is already visible...
I point it out and get some waffling that just proves more so how they only really know a little about the gear they're using at that moment...
I decide to just get a juice so I ask if about some...
They tell me 'X' is awesome but not much about the actual flavour and vapour apart from the profile written on the bottle that they read out...
I ask if they have testers or an open bottle to at least smell it since 'X' costs more than Five Pawns...
They respond I can smell it (through the box and heatshrink plastic)...
The staff probably think what a time-waster that doesn't want to buy anything...
I leave with regret that I wasted valuable time that could have been spent with my family when I could have should have been able to take 5 minutes to pop in see the coils I wanted and price and either take it or leave...

I've been to a few stores and I honestly have not had a bad experience... bar one, which was really one small thing that I made the most of at a later stage. I was sold 2 different batteries for my dual battery Cuboid, which I didn't know shouldn't be done at the time. I've since bought more batteries and use these in my single battery setups so I'm not upset. I just feel like they should have known better. But, they also sold me the Cuboid and Cubis tank, which was a great setup and great advice for me at the time. I used that setup for a good 3 months before upgrading the tank. I still use the mod every now and then with 22mm tanks.

I love Greenstone Vaperite's juice testing station.
I loved chatting to @Maxxis at Lung Candy when I popped by (Still use my Petri everyday)
Loved chatting to Hugo at @Sir Vape when I was there in June (Good call on the Hotcig r150)
The guys at Greenstone Vape King actually called me back when an item I called for was back in stock.

I've actually just had good experiences with the online and B&M stores.

Then again, I prefer to do my research (and rarely get time to get to a store) so I usually buy online, so store visits are usually in and out, with a short chat if I'm torn between two items to get opinions.

I disagree pretty much on the stance on the under 18's but I do understand why it's important to have that rule.

Back