Should I Get A Mech?

Bonez007

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi guys,

So heres the thing, I want to step up my game a bit here. The only pieces of gear i own are the twisp (which i am donating to a friend in need) and a vision 2/protank mini3.

I have already placed an order for an Aerotank Mega.
I need a device to attach this mega to. Initially i was heart set on an SVD. But then, i was busy looking at rebuildable tanks and mods for my near future purchases to expand my gear, when i thought, should i just get a mech now, rather than the SVD, and at a later date buy just the rebuildable tank?
The mechs i like are the Nemesis, and the Vanilla (leaning towards the vanilla). They both have good reviews everywhere, so i know that either purchase would be a good one.
I have a few questions though:

1. Should i really buy a mech, instead of the SVD?
2. Will a mech like the Vanilla work well with the Aerotank Mega?
3. Will a Kick 2 work in the Vanilla? (because i am a noob and i dont want to blow my face off)
4. What size batteries will the vanilla use with the kick in it? im guessing 18500? Unless there is a kick adaptor available for it so i can use an 18650 battery with the kick 2?
5. Will a Vanilla (or other mech) work nicely with a kick on a rebuildable tank like the kayfun?
6. What is the width of the vanilla, and is it the same as the aerotank mega, so i get a straight flush join?
7. Is the upgrade kit for the vanilla really worth it?
8. Does the copper vanilla oxidize and rub off on your hand? (I have head that the new version has a coating that prevents this)
9. Am i correct in saying that there is an adaptor which will allow my protank mini3 to attach onto the vanilla?

Sorry for all the questions guys, and much appreciated :)

You may get conflicting advice here... but for a newbie I would get an electronic mod like a Sigelei 30W or something cheaper if money is an issue. I would also make sure my first device (be it mechanical or electronic) is an 18650 battery device.

I personally dislike most of the mech mods because of the bottom firing button which I find uncomfortable. I also like the fact that I can alter the power of the device on an electronic especially seeing you are going to be using a standard factory tank and not a rebuildable where you can build your own coil to suit your vape preference.

Yip. For now you would be better off with an electronic mod. Once you go for the RBA you should consider a mech. And yes, the Vanilla is a great device for a good price. Dont know about a kick tho. Imho it defeats the purpose anyway.

The copper does get patina after a while. The latest version is glazed.

Thank you guys! So i will go ahead and get the SVD for now. Thank you :)

Edit: But, i see that the kick 2 is variable wattage from 5 to 15 watts? Which would make the vanilla a slightly underpowered sigelei?

I've been having the same debate myself now for the last month and carefully watching all the vape related news I can find. Personally, I'm getting a regulated device and then might snipe a mech later off the classifieds to see what the fuss is about.

I've been having the same debate myself now for the last month and carefully watching all the vape related news I can find. Personally, I'm getting a regulated device and then might snipe a mech later off the classifieds to see what the fuss is about.

Hey man, which regulated mod are u looking at?

Stuck between DNA30 clone and the IPV2.

Both full my current and projected needs, same price range. I'm not going to often use the full power in either of for a while but it is nice to do a bit of willy-waving now and then. Box mods because they don't roll or tip.
The main things I am concerned about is reliability and battery life. While it's fun to have a flashy toy, the point of this though is to get off the analogues so it needs to work. DNA30 is winning by a slim margin, simply because it is proven and 50W seems like overkill coming from Evods and Twisps.

Yes, agree with the advice above. A mechanical mod with a kick is just a glorified electronic mod. Rather get a powerful electronic mod, which will also serve you with rebuildable atomizers later on should you wish to go that way. Like a Sigelei 30W, Cana 30W or IPV 50W. My personal preference is the IPV50W, coupled with a Mini Aspire Nautilus.

@Bonez007 I have a sigelei 30w and a coupe of mechs, if you would like we could meet up and you could test them out and see the differences, before you buy. No kick tho

Thank you @Al3x for the offer. I really appreciate it. Let me see when i can find some time. Work days are pretty hectic, weekends too! If all else fails i will see you at the meet :)

The new SVD's and Segelei 30w, or evic supreme supports subohm vaping meaning you have an electrical that can run a RBA. Mechs are very awesome toys, but for everyday vape go with one of the new Elec mods. my opinion only

Ok, ok, i bite :)

But the look of that vanilla... God help me!
I will go for a electronic mod, and later on i will get me my vanilla

Thank you to everyone

Ok, ok, i bite :)

But the look of that vanilla... God help me!
I will go for a electronic mod, and later on i will get me my vanilla

Thank you to everyone
Lol. The main differences:
  1. Electronic mod will give you the same power all the time. Mech mod's power will decline all the time as you vape.
  2. Electronic mods is easy to adjust the power. Mech mod you do it by way of your coil build.
  3. Electronic mod is usually more expensive, but if you go original mech mod it could be the other way around.
  4. Electronic mod will have given up the ghost many moons ago, but the mech mod will still be going.
  5. Mech mods are smaller than electronic mods.
Of course, not speaking of the Reo mech mod, which has some other advantages as well.

Lol. The main differences:
  1. Electronic mod will give you the same power all the time. Mech mod's power will decline all the time as you vape.
  2. Electronic mods is easy to adjust the power. Mech mod you do it by way of your coil build.
  3. Electronic mod is usually more expensive, but if you go original mech mod it could be the other way around.
  4. Electronic mod will have given up the ghost many moons ago, but the mech mod will still be going.
  5. Mech mods are smaller than electronic mods.
Of course, not speaking of the Reo mech mod, which has some other advantages as well.

Thanks @Andre i hear ya! I thought i could save some cash in the long run by geting one device that could power up commercial tanks and rebuildables that i would most probably do in the not too distant future. That, plus my mom would whip my ass if she sees that i spend all my money on vape stuff. I also thought of the possible resale value too (who know what i may want in the future) im sure an authentic vanilla would be more valuable than an SVD.

Thanks @Andre i hear ya! I thought i could save some cash in the long run by geting one device that could power up commercial tanks and rebuildables that i would most probably do in the not too distant future. That, plus my mom would whip my ass if she sees that i spend all my money on vape stuff. I also thought of the possible resale value too (who know what i may want in the future) im sure an authentic vanilla would be more valuable than an SVD.
For the price you spend on a vanilla, you might as well spend a bit more on a REO setup. ;)

Haha everyone is trying to convert me into a box mod man :whip:
If you have the opportunity, I would highly recommend trying it out.

Otherwise look at something like the IPV V2 or Cana mod.

Both will run your commercial tanks comfortably and you can run some decent drippers when you feel the urge to dabble on that side.

Buy a 2nd hand mech fairly cheap, say 200-300 bux, if the mech life is not for you then sell it again.

I'm addicted to mechs, I use them all day everyday.

Sent from my S4 LTE using my finger

The only reason I would say the nem with the kick may be a good idea, is cause you are coming off a twisp. Some files will say I'm a noobi and that's fine I am. I have done a lot if research and if you want to go on rebuilds on a budget then its safe for a start. If you are not on a budget then there are loads of vw devices that can do a lot. But if it breaks(and I don't say it will) then you are stuck. So I personally think start mech, do 1,5 builds with a kick, learn the craft, save and get a nice vw. That way if it breaks down you have a good much to fall back on.

The only reason I would say the nem with the kick may be a good idea, is cause you are coming off a twisp. Some files will say I'm a noobi and that's fine I am. I have done a lot if research and if you want to go on rebuilds on a budget then its safe for a start. If you are not on a budget then there are loads of vw devices that can do a lot. But if it breaks(and I don't say it will) then you are stuck. So I personally think start mech, do 1,5 builds with a kick, learn the craft, save and get a nice vw. That way if it breaks down you have a good much to fall back on.
The theory "if it breaks u are stuffed" may be right....but tbh, everyone will eventually have more then one device. I bought the relatively cheap cloupor mini just as backup.

The theory "if it breaks u are stuffed" may be right....but tbh, everyone will eventually have more then one device. I bought the relatively cheap cloupor mini just as backup.

Those questions were posed at the beginning of August 2014, which is a long time in vaping terms. The OP, @Bonez007 is now an experienced vaper.

Back