ECIGSSA Admin
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
FINES MASTER
LV

Awards
SID 001.JPG
As some of you know I went off fishing today... and I carry my Nautilus on top of my SID in my side short pants pocket for handy reach down and vape between casts...

And it was a pretty warm day so I keep myself hydrated by drinking lots of water... having a pee off the boat is no issue... you go to the back and the rest is pretty easy... however... if you have SID in your pocket and you lift the leg of your shorts to retrieve your kidney emptying device your pocket tends to become horizontal and any large heavy items can fall out...

Yes the SID with the Nautilus on top (and full of VM Menthol Ice) slide out of my pocket and bounced once on the deck and then proceeded to make a small splash as it entered the water... thereafter a few bubbles...

Initial panic was that I now had nothing to Vape on the water... as soon as I realised I did bring a spare Nautilus full of Menthol Ice and a Zmax to drive it I calmed a little... then I didn't want to loose my SID or a Nautilus especially with the current rarity status!

I'm still staring at the water rings caused by the splash when my fishing buddy whipped off his shirt and shoes and was into the water... luckily we only had a depth of around 5-6'... by now I had gotten some composure and too had disrobed and entered the dirty stinking dam... feeling the bottom with my toes...

Five minutes of search and rescue and I felt something.... Whoooo... the SID was rescued...

SID 007.JPG

Surprisingly enough there was almost no moisture in the battery tube when I took it apart to dry it out...

Will fire it up a bit later and see if she is still operational!

Maybe give it a good blow with the hairdryer. Then let it rather dry overnight imo.

yikes!!!!
if you have, spraying some contact cleaner will help as well. It is a very high concentrate alcohol in a spray can.
Or you can treat it like a phone and put it in your bag of rice at home till tomorrow.

Moral of the story don't lift your leg if you have vape gear in your pocket - glad you got it back.

Maybe give it a good blow with the hairdryer. Then let it rather dry overnight imo.

Whoops... just as well you made me check it... the control head is full of water! Now shaking it like a man possessed and water is coming out the bottom and the fire button!

I looked to see if I could take the head apart but it appears glued fast... will give it the hair dryer treatment and then a couple of days in some rice! :oops:

Bwahahahaha - I was waiting for this to happen, especially after your iphone record.

Seriously, glad you got it back and hope it dries out and fires up again. Almost need an elastic lanyard of some sorts as pouches around the neck are not ideal as we bend over the boat rails to land our fish. I'm petrified using the mini whilst on the water as I've lost my fair share of greensmokes overboard.

Bwahahahaha - I was waiting for this to happen, especially after your iphone record.

Seriously, glad you got it back and hope it dries out and fires up again. Almost need an elastic lanyard of some sorts as pouches around the neck are not ideal as we bend over the boat rails to land our fish. I'm petrified using the mini whilst on the water as I've lost my fair share of greensmokes overboard.

Big time Markus! We need a system for Vaping on board! I have managed not to throw the eciggie overboard like we used to throw smokes overboard when we got a bite... so that's a step in the right direction... I'm thinking maybe one of those round vape stands in the drinks container? Then I have to bend all the time... next idea...

For now it will have to be either a Mickey Mouse battery and mPT3 in the pocket... or the real device in the cubby hole and just stop every now and again for a vape like I ended up doing today!

Just be careful of using rice, the starch can sometimes start getting into the item you are trying to dry. Ideal would be if you have a bunch of those Silica packets lying around.

Tip for anyone worried about a similar future event. Save up all those silica packets and keep them in an airtight jar, works like a charm. :)

Try one of those cell phone holsters for belts for your mini?

Big time Markus! We need a system for Vaping on board! I have managed not to throw the eciggie overboard like we used to throw smokes overboard when we got a bite... so that's a step in the right direction... I'm thinking maybe one of those round vape stands in the drinks container? Then I have to bend all the time... next idea...

For now it will have to be either a Mickey Mouse battery and mPT3 in the pocket... or the real device in the cubby hole and just stop every now and again for a vape like I ended up doing today!

I stowed mine in the sneaker pedal foot well at div's but it killed my back. I'm definitely going to explore the elastic lanyard idea (same as our motor kill switches) but just need to figure out the details.

Oh and talking of fines.........:p

Try one of those cell phone holsters for belts for your mini?

Good idea and thanks for reminding me. In the video I posted on Tyler's reo mod thread the guy had fitted a belt clip directly on his grand.

Good idea and thanks for reminding me. In the video I posted on Tyler's reo mod thread the guy had fitted a belt clip directly on his grand.
Yes, saw that thanks, but not for me.

Rob get a tin of Contact Cleaner as @CraftyZA suggested (available at electrical or electronic shop) - spray thoroughly through device's electronic section, wipe excess and you ready to go.

View attachment 2493
As some of you know I went off fishing today... and I carry my Nautilus on top of my SID in my side short pants pocket for handy reach down and vape between casts...

And it was a pretty warm day so I keep myself hydrated by drinking lots of water... having a pee off the boat is no issue... you go to the back and the rest is pretty easy... however... if you have SID in your pocket and you lift the leg of your shorts to retrieve your kidney emptying device your pocket tends to become horizontal and any large heavy items can fall out...

Yes the SID with the Nautilus on top (and full of VM Menthol Ice) slide out of my pocket and bounced once on the deck and then proceeded to make a small splash as it entered the water... thereafter a few bubbles...

Initial panic was that I now had nothing to Vape on the water... as soon as I realised I did bring a spare Nautilus full of Menthol Ice and a Zmax to drive it I calmed a little... then I didn't want to loose my SID or a Nautilus especially with the current rarity status!

I'm still staring at the water rings caused by the splash when my fishing buddy whipped off his shirt and shoes and was into the water... luckily we only had a depth of around 5-6'... by now I had gotten some composure and too had disrobed and entered the dirty stinking dam... feeling the bottom with my toes...

Five minutes of search and rescue and I felt something.... Whoooo... the SID was rescued...

View attachment 2494

Surprisingly enough there was almost no moisture in the battery tube when I took it apart to dry it out...

Will fire it up a bit later and see if she is still operational!
Ha, ha, ha, ha, I know exactly what you are talking about. I use the same pee method when deep sea fishing for Kabeljou. Although on a rocky boat one has to keep at least one hand on something, so both hands are then occupied. And being in the deep sea, skippers do not under any circumstances come in when one requires a leek.

Thanks for this advice, I will be sure to find a safer method, maybe find a way to make a pouch on the rod, next to the reel, to store the device when not vaping. As while deep sea fishing we do not put down the rod, except for rebating of course. And then there is the smell of the bait we use, sardines, mmmm, that smell sticks to your hands for weeks after, even with dettol, jik etc etc. I will have to buy a dedicated fishing vape device, since that stink will never leave. And diving in to fetch it, well, the sharks in Infanta, on the east Coast side of the Western Cape, have a nasty habit nowdays of following fishing boats out to steel their catch. Massive Bull Sharks are often spotted, so one would truly have to love his device to risk limbs. Ag well, I will just have to bite the shark back.

Excellent story Rob I can see you would be right at home on our boat while deep sea fishing. P.S. When are you coming to Cape Town?

Gee, Rob hopefully you get it working

And then there is the smell of the bait we use, sardines, mmmm, that smell sticks to your hands for weeks after, even with dettol, jik etc etc.

Excellent story Rob I can see you would be right at home on our boat while deep sea fishing. P.S. When are you coming to Cape Town?

Happily Bass fishing is very clean and there is no stinky bait... I'm not sure I could even touch red bait or sardine again ever! I have been deep sea a few times but I always have a Gilly nowadays! :D You definitely need a dedicated deep sea vape device that can stay in the garage with the rest of the smelly equipment!

We hope to hit CT sometime in May!

Damn @Rob Fisher , that sucks big time!

I really hope that it still works for your part...

The one thing that comes to mind that concerns me is like a cellphone; should you not submerge it back into water to remove the battery otherwise it shorts?

I have always done this as I though it was the norm, really hope it doesnt apply to PV's aswell...

The one thing that comes to mind that concerns me is like a cellphone; should you not submerge it back into water to remove the battery otherwise it shorts?

I've never heard of doing that before? I just retrieved it and took it apart as fast as I could... o_O

put it in a bowl of rice overnight... Know that works with Cellphones maybe the same applies here?

Back