Silver's first adventure into DIY

You remind me so much of myself the first time I did DIY @Silver. The excitement, the awareness of the small things and the sense of accomplishment once you finished your first mix. Such a wonderful time that. Alas, I did not know of ELR or ecigssa when I started mixing (started mixing a week after I started vaping), so my first recipes were all self creations and were, for the want of using stronger words, not all that great. But you seem to have some nice ones going here for you and I bid you all of the best in your endeavor! :)

Many thanks @ivc_mixer
I have big admiration of people like you that started without any of the info and resources we have now ;-)
I am nowhere near making my own recipes and might not even go that far - but I may end up tweaking things I like. Will see how it goes...

I am nowhere near making my own recipes and might not even go that far

Flavour development is one of the most amazing, and at the same time frustrating, things of DIY. Getting to taste so many juices that are terrible and almost getting despondent, but then you get the one, the one juice that makes it all worth while. It's a lot like playing golf, most of your shots are okay and quite a few terrible ones, but that one shot is the one which gets you to come back time after time.

And the more you play (I call it playing as a lot of times I am just playing around with flavours and hoping for the best), the better you get at it. Still a lot of not-so-good ones, but more and more gems appear in the rough.

One tip I can give you though, and a very important one too, is keep notes. Of everything. Save it on your phone on the Notepad function or if you feel like it get an application like Evernote. Keep notes of what you mixed, what it tastes like, what you should add or take away, what you like about it and what not and how it tastes at various stages of steeping, etc. It is good to have a electronic notepad of sorts as you may be sitting in the middle of a meeting and inspiration may strike (it has happened to me), then you just jot it down quickly.

Thanks for that @ivc_mixer - much appreciated

I will take note of that ;-) and take notes as I go...

Time to start tasting the first juice.

Decided to go with Mustard Milk since it was my first one.
This has TFA Strawberry and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Simple 2 ingredient mix.

It's 6 days after mixing.

Mmmmm... it smells lovely.

b1bc5ab3fee226c3f8753830e5313ad0.jpg

Petri ready. Freshly wicked. CB2. Wicks primed. Ooooohhh this always makes me so excited.
Momentous for me because it's my first tasting of a DIY juice that I made.

22d500515ecd9196ea84c7772b3d10ac.jpg

And? What's the verdict?

I don't like it at all!!!!

The Strawberry is too sour. And a bit synthetic tasting. Can hardly taste any cream or ice cream.
It's quite unpleasant actually.

Well, that's the day 6 tasting. Have no idea how long this needs to steep but I don't like what I am tasting now. Quite disappointed because I thought this was at least a nice juice and would be ok after 6 days.

Ah well. One juice down.

Will probably try this again in about another week.

On the positive side I have learnt something. My label on my bottle has already smudged so I will probably need another plan for that.

Welcome to diy.

When I tried it i used FW VBIC because I didn't have TFA. Lets just say that vaping actual mustard might be better.

Strawberry Ripe I find is an acquired taste. Some people like the fresh and crisp strawberry. It sometimes is just too much for me. It does mellow out over time. I have since used CAP Sweet Strawberry with Strawberry Ripe. It comes out much better and smoother.

Welcome to diy.

When I tried it i used FW VBIC because I didn't have TFA. Lets just say that vaping actual mustard might be better.

Strawberry Ripe I find is an acquired taste. Some people like the fresh and crisp strawberry. It sometimes is just too much for me. It does mellow out over time. I have since used CAP Sweet Strawberry with Strawberry Ripe. It comes out much better and smoother.

Thanks @Adephi
The recipe i used has just TFA Strawberry, not Strawberry Ripe
Strawberry at 6% and VBIC at 8%
Am hoping it improves over time but i heard that if you dont like a DIY juice after a few days, its not likely going to do a 180 degree turn when it matures.
Will give it another week and see.

Other thing is I havent been shaking it every day. Just a bit when i mixed it and then once or twice after that. Dont know how much of an impact that would make?

Ah yes, I remember. That was the second mistake I made when I tried it. Haven't tried plain TFA Strawberry just yet.

But I do know the VBIC needs to steep for at least 7 days. And I have had juices that turned around after a few weeks steeping. Don't give up hope yet. If it fails just kill it with some menthol and vape it when you have a coil on its last days.

You got plenty of juices busy steeping. Don't give up just yet.

Time to start tasting the first juice.

Decided to go with Mustard Milk since it was my first one.
This has TFA Strawberry and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Simple 2 ingredient mix.

It's 6 days after mixing.

Mmmmm... it smells lovely.

b1bc5ab3fee226c3f8753830e5313ad0.jpg

Petri ready. Freshly wicked. CB2. Wicks primed. Ooooohhh this always makes me so excited.
Momentous for me because it's my first tasting of a DIY juice that I made.

22d500515ecd9196ea84c7772b3d10ac.jpg

And? What's the verdict?

I don't like it at all!!!!

The Strawberry is too sour. And a bit synthetic tasting. Can hardly taste any cream or ice cream.
It's quite unpleasant actually.

Well, that's the day 6 tasting. Have no idea how long this needs to steep but I don't like what I am tasting now. Quite disappointed because I thought this was at least a nice juice and would be ok after 6 days.

Ah well. One juice down.

Will probably try this again in about another week.

On the positive side I have learnt something. My label on my bottle has already smudged so I will probably need another plan for that.

@Silver mustard milk is a love/hate relationship... some love whilst others hate it... It’s not ur DIY skills

Ps I think it’s absolutely vile tasting

Thanks @Adephi
Am hoping it improves over time but i heard that if you dont like a DIY juice after a few days, its not likely going to do a 180 degree turn when it matures.
Will give it another week and see.

Other thing is I havent been shaking it every day. Just a bit when i mixed it and then once or twice after that. Dont know how much of an impact that would make?
Don't think the shaking everyday will have that big of a difference but then I am not that professional. It has been a long time since I mixed this strawberry recipe but think I should give it a go again when I get home. 1% of fa marshmallow smooths this recipe a bit. I rarely mix a strawberry recipe with only one strawberry I borrow good attributes from different strawberrys to build one that I like. But that's subjective again. I use 2% tfa strawberry in one of my mixes and it feels dominating it is a potent strawberry but it has a bit of a weird after taste. I remember that I did not like mustard milk alot but mixed it with tfa strawberry ripe the strawberry milkshake tipe thing that I enjoyed the most when starting out is called strawberry fog: http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/226322 I have tweaked this recipe to my taste and it's now one of my adv.
Don't give up on diy you will hit gold eventually and then it makes it worth the effort I am currently vaping a juice that I do not like but at least I learned something from mixing it. When you start experimenting with your own creations and one actually tastes amazing then you become hooked to the diy thing.

Don't think the shaking everyday will have that big of a difference but then I am not that professional. It has been a long time since I mixed this strawberry recipe but think I should give it a go again when I get home. 1% of fa marshmallow smooths this recipe a bit. I rarely mix a strawberry recipe with only one strawberry I borrow good attributes from different strawberrys to build one that I like. But that's subjective again. I use 2% tfa strawberry in one of my mixes and it feels dominating it is a potent strawberry but it has a bit of a weird after taste. I remember that I did not like mustard milk alot but mixed it with tfa strawberry ripe the strawberry milkshake tipe thing that I enjoyed the most when starting out is called strawberry fog: http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/226322 I have tweaked this recipe to my taste and it's now one of my adv.
Don't give up on diy you will hit gold eventually and then it makes it worth the effort I am currently vaping a juice that I do not like but at least I learned something from mixing it. When you start experimenting with your own creations and one actually tastes amazing then you become hooked to the diy thing.

Thanks @Friep, i appreciate the feedback and the encouragement
And the tips!!

I am not really into strawberry creams, but I do like Strawberry
I probably wont try to modify this mustard milk to my liking
I just picked it as a recipe to make in my first batch to see...

Thanks @Friep, i appreciate the feedback and the encouragement
And the tips!!

I am not really into strawberry creams, but I do like Strawberry
I probably wont try to modify this mustard milk to my liking
I just picked it as a recipe to make in my first batch to see...
I want to make a strawberry menthol sometime but first I need to get a menthol concentrate. My adventure with tfa peppermint gave me a craving for menthol/mint flavours all that I want to vape currently and finished the last bit of that juice today. Luckily leaving for home tomorrow night but early January I am taking the plunge into menthol vapes.

You made a whole batch of mixes. The others?
I’m interested to hear your opinion of the bruised berry ice. I need a icy/mentholy/fruity thingy going in my steep cupboard.

It’s currently full of ry4’s, custards and cereal types but I’m on the menthol train switching between Panama and xxx and gringo so that one piqued my interest in a big way!

You made a whole batch of mixes. The others?

Correct @Raindance
The others I will taste over time. Just did the one today.
There is rhe Bruised Berry Ice from @rogue zombie which is smelling super
And the milkmaid one from @Ripstorm
Will try those two next

The other four are tobaccoes, so they can wait. I assume their steep time is much longer anyway.

Will certainly report back here on all of them when i taste them

Correct @Raindance
Will try those two next

The other four are tobaccoes, so they can wait. I assume their steep time is much longer anyway.

We are waiting in abject suspense

Correct @Raindance
Will try those two next

I admire your patience. I remember when I first started my DIY journey I could not wait to taste my mixes. I ended up hating many of them because I could not wait for it to steep properly. That also led me to learning just how damn important steeping is.

Out of curiosity - is it just the strawberry your are not liking or are you getting a peppery taste as well? This mix was actually my first one as well and I hated it at first. The strawberry was too "chemically" and I had the dreaded pepper taste as well. My wife loved it which just shows how our tastes differ. Anyway, I chucked it in the back of my cupboard and after a few months decided to give it another try - it was lovely. Exactly as other people describe. It was obviously the steeping which helped; I've discovered that 3 weeks brings this mix to my sweet spot. Perhaps just give it more time and see, hopefully you'll come to like your first little "venture".

Loving your play-by-play on this. Makes me excited to go and mix.

I admire your patience. I remember when I first started my DIY journey I could not wait to taste my mixes. I ended up hating many of them because I could not wait for it to steep properly. That also led me to learning just how damn important steeping is.

Out of curiosity - is it just the strawberry your are not liking or are you getting a peppery taste as well? This mix was actually my first one as well and I hated it at first. The strawberry was too "chemically" and I had the dreaded pepper taste as well. My wife loved it which just shows how our tastes differ. Anyway, I chucked it in the back of my cupboard and after a few months decided to give it another try - it was lovely. Exactly as other people describe. It was obviously the steeping which helped; I've discovered that 3 weeks brings this mix to my sweet spot. Perhaps just give it more time and see, hopefully you'll come to like your first little "venture".

Loving your play-by-play on this. Makes me excited to go and mix.

Thanks so much for popping in with this comment @Dewald
Not picking up a peppery taste in the strawberry. Its just a bit sour and yes, a bit chemically. Synthetic.
Am curious to see how it changes over time...
Thanks again and happy new year to you!

Sad to hear that Mustard Milk didn't turn out well, @Silver, although I wouldn't get despondent. It was one of the first mixes I did too and while it was OK, I haven't mixed it since. It was an early recipe and fizzmustard has since moved on to bigger things, now running a pro juice line that is the envy of many top mixers. It's an 'important' recipe in DIY history because everybody mixes it but there are way better strawberry creams out now.

I would also give it a longer steep, ditto for Ripstorm's Blushing Milkmaid. Although strawberries are renowned as short steepers and faders, I like to give mine at least a month. skiddlz's God Milk transforms at around the eight week mark and becomes a thing of beauty. The best way to describe it is that a fresh mixed batch is like a squirt of strawberry syrup atop a milkshake bed. The two components haven't blended/balanced and you get either a bit too much strawberry or too much cream. A long steep makes it like a double thick milkshake that has melted and blended into a perfect pink creamy mush.

Sad to hear that Mustard Milk didn't turn out well, @Silver, although I wouldn't get despondent. It was one of the first mixes I did too and while it was OK, I haven't mixed it since. It was an early recipe and fizzmustard has since moved on to bigger things, now running a pro juice line that is the envy of many top mixers. It's an 'important' recipe in DIY history because everybody mixes it but there are way better strawberry creams out now.

I would also give it a longer steep, ditto for Ripstorm's Blushing Milkmaid. Although strawberries are renowned as short steepers and faders, I like to give mine at least a month. skiddlz's God Milk transforms at around the eight week mark and becomes a thing of beauty. The best way to describe it is that a fresh mixed batch is like a squirt of strawberry syrup atop a milkshake bed. The two components haven't blended/balanced and you get either a bit too much strawberry or too much cream. A long steep makes it like a double thick milkshake that has melted and blended into a perfect pink creamy mush.

Thanks @RichJB
Much appreciated
I will let it steep for longer and see how it goes. Great description of the flavours combining with the strawberry syrup and milkshake analogy !

The best Strawberry Milk is still for me by far Mike's Mega Mixes... which he kindly released to public. Top draw stuff.

And still THE ONLY local retailer/ juice maker to release a commercial juice recipe.

*tongue in cheek hint* :D

The best Strawberry Milk is still for me by far Mike's Mega Mixes... which he kindly released to public. Top draw stuff.

And still THE ONLY local retailer/ juice maker to release a commercial juice recipe.

*tongue in cheek hint* :D
Link please, I think I saw it but couldn't find it again:(

I must say that since implementing the seedling tray system, I haven't wanted to improve or tweak it in any way. I have over 300 concentrates now and it takes me literally three seconds or so to find any one of them. The coloured dots and double alphabetic system makes it a breeze. By that, I mean that I put a coloured dot with a permanent marker in the little indentation in the middle of the cap - red for FA, green for Cap, and so on.

Then I store concentrates alphabetically, firstly in a generic sense - FA Meringue goes into M, etc. But secondly, I store alphabetically within the brand. So the generic M section will first have all the FA grouped together with their red dots, then the TFA with their blue dots, then Cap with their green dots, Inw with purple dots, and so on. And each brand will also be sorted alphabetically. So FA Marshmallow will be stored ahead of FA Meringue, which will be stored ahead of FA Morning Sun.

If I then want to find Cap Vanilla Custard v1 for a mix, I go straight to the V section, go straight to the cluster of Cap bottles with green dots on the cap, and I know that Vanilla Custard (Va---) will be the first or second bottle in the cluster. Finding any concentrate is simple and quick.

My only concern is that vendors are gradually moving across to PET bottles with child-proof caps (often black) which can't be marked visibly with a permanent marker. However, I have tons of spare 10ml HDPE droppers so I can just decant into those. Alternatively, I could buy those sheets with little coloured dot stickers which are used for arts and crafts, and then stick a coloured dot on each cap.

RichJB You're obviously a logical, well-organised person! Here's a tip for marking black lids: use nail varnish

Back