Smok Marshal; G-Priv; Alien

If there is some space to "fold" the vinyl around the edges - cut vinyl into shape of the panel (slightly larger), take vinyl backing off, place sticky side up, apply sunlight liquid (mix with water, about 50/50), make sure there is no grime and dust or dog hair, put panel on the vinyl. Turn around, smooth out (credit card works well as a squeegy, take hair dryer, blow dry, but not not too hot, you'll get the "feel" after a while - the heat helps with the adhesion, especially on corners, and also with the stretch around the edges. Use a nt-cutter to cut excess vinyl, and voila!
Thanks for the little walk through, wasnt sure if the sunlight water mix would affect the vinyl adhesion. I havent had edge lifting problems with the many RC planes I've done over the years, or my cars C pillars in the 3 years since I applied it, it does sleep in the garage though.
That said constant handling as in the case of a mod might be a different kettle of fish.

As @BumbleBee said 3 small security screws on the bottom hold it together and although its probably not a good idea if its your prime device @gdigitel both the affected panels on your one just slide out without any fuss or need to solder, no dropping + & - butttons either.
The fire button has a spring so its prudent to hold the mod when sliding the main back panel/batt door assembly off to keep the parts in the same neighbourhood.

Where on earth did you guys buy your mod from? :eek:
Bought mine from Sir Vape and the paint is fine. Tried scratching the bottom with my nail and nothing comes off ... Sucks, pity the vendors cannot send it directly back to Smok with a label on the container: "Get your Sh!t Together". :WATCHINGYOU:

I also bought mine from Sir Vape and i have no problems eith mine.Got mine more than a month now and +\- 6500 puffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eish !

I want to buy one of these but the paint problems is worrying......

Can we be sure that units from certain vendors will be shitty and units from other vendors will be good ? If so - what vendor stocks the ones where the paint will not peel ?

Eish !

I want to buy one of these but the paint problems is worrying......

Can we be sure that units from certain vendors will be shitty and units from other vendors will be good ? If so - what vendor stocks the ones where the paint will not peel ?
Sir Vape as far as the general consensus goes :D

Also bought from Sir Vape...3 weeks down the line and no scratch...touch wood...

Same here...purchased from Sirvape, 2 weeks old and no paint issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work - Looks like Hammerite paint??

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk
No, it's a gloss spray, clearly I suck at painting stuff :rolleyes:

I used a grey primer on the bare metal after a good wash and rinse with paint stripper, but I don't have much hope for this, I'm expecting it to come off soon.

No, it's a gloss spray, clearly I suck at painting stuff :rolleyes:

I used a grey primer on the bare metal after a good wash and rinse with paint stripper, but I don't have much hope for this, I'm expecting it to come off soon.
I am assuming cans of aerolak?

Pity you do not get proper primer in cans. If I ever paint one of my mods it will be MS primer.... base coat and 2k clear. Will hold up well but still look at behind the door handle on any 4 year old car. It will scratch and peel eventually.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

WARNING!! WARNING!! The following image is even more graphic than the previous images I posted. Mods feel free to remove it f deemed necessary.
After 3 weeks of use my alien looks like this ...

Attachments

• IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 43
WARNING!! WARNING!! The following image is even more graphic than the previous images I posted. Mods feel free to remove it f deemed necessary.
After 3 weeks of use my alien looks like this ...
:seenoevil: :seenoevil: :seenoevil:

I would really be so furious if a mod did this after three weeks! I would seriously take this back to my vendor and get them to refund me! Is that wrong of me?

According to the vendor this is normal and if it still vapes its fine. I must in future just not mess any e-liquid on it or avoid my pockets and hot cars .... and super-moons and unicorns.
They did however offer me a complementary cover when they get them in.

Stupid question but why isn't this kinda stuff powder coated
Too expensive.
You first shoot the primer layer and bake at 160 to 250 degrees C.
Then the color layer goes on and gets baked again.
Followed by the clear protective layer and bake.

Compare this with the Aliens paint, no primer, one very thin layer and no need to bake.

I dont think the zinc alloy that mods are made from can withstand the bake temps, possibly a special coating could be used like with some plastics, but again too expensive for volume production.

According to the vendor this is normal and if it still vapes its fine. I must in future just not mess any e-liquid on it or avoid my pockets and hot cars .... and super-moons and unicorns.
:eek:

That would really get to me! I have had one or two experiences with being told stuff like that, and rather than let it upset me I have taken deep breaths and developed a long term twitch from the internal struggles. International vendor by any chance?

Imagine if you bought a new car, and the paint started peeling off in three weeks. You take it back to the dealership and they tell you, "It's still driving so it's fine".

That would really get to me! I have had one or two experiences with being told stuff like that, and rather than let it upset me I have taken deep breaths and developed a long term twitch from the internal struggles. International vendor by any chance?

Imagine if you bought a new car, and the paint started peeling off in three weeks. You take it back to the dealership and they tell you, "It's still driving so it's fine".
Chana's can't seem to keep their paint either :rolleyes:

DSCF2219 sc.jpg

If that was my Alien Mod peeling after 3 weeks I'd expect a replacement or in the least a repair at the vendors expense. It's then the vendors issue to sort out reimbursement with their supplier. Just because it still works does not mean that the buyer must be happy to be stuck with an inferior product..

I work in the Motor Manufacture industry and this is a quality issue. It's not the end users problem and should warrant a repair in the least.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It's a ZA vendor. They have a few stalls around and online shop.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

That's nonsense! I have messed plenty e-liquid on mine and often clean it with Disinfecta wipes. Still in pristine condition ... it seems that the Alien mods from @Sir Vape must have been either a really good batch, or something else went cockeyed. Sorry to see you're having bad luck, you must insist you receive a refund.
:YOUKIDDINGME:

These paint issues do seem to be isolated cases, Smok knows about them but hasn't officially commented yet. The vendor I got mine from is arranging my replacement :)

In the mean time I'm still enjoying the mod and I'm having fun with trying on new "outfits" from time to time, have some interesting plans for the one I have now.

Back