SMOK TFV4 - First Impressions

@Cave Johnson , you did a great review and put in a lot of effort
I look forward to the next one!

@jtgrey See the video for his way of wicking. Personally, my method is completely different but this does appear to work as well. Will give this method a go next time.

@wazarmoto definitely depends on how much you vape. I don't have it long enough to give my experience but I speculate that they should last around 3 weeks.

So I've tried this wicking method, but cut the wick about 1.2-1.4mm longer (than in the video) on each side. Vaping at 30W at working brilliantly. Wicking well and no dry hits.

All in all, excellent review, made my choice. This will be my second tank.

Cave what alternative coil will work with this as i purchased my tfv4 tday but no coil stock. Secondly what lifespan you reckon the triple coil that came with it will have?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Cave what alternative coil will work with this as i purchased my tfv4 tday but no coil stock. Secondly what lifespan you reckon the triple coil that came with it will have?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Did you get an RBA Deck with it? If you get the build right it does a pretty kick ass job.
I only used the stock coils on and off for about ten days so no clear indication of how long they might last. Will depend largely on your juice, quantity of vaping and power that you're using. The stocks I have look perfect still so seems like they might last a couple weeks.
@Frostbite will be able to hook you up with some coils.

UPDATE TIME: Got me the TF-R2 last week-the dual rebuildable deck, oh how I searched for this thing. Good thing, one of the forum vendors got stock and came through.

Overall thoughts on the deck
It's a good deck. The size is it's biggest plus. You can fit in 3mm ID 24g,26g, 10 wrap coils easily.
It would have been nicer if they added post holes and not just two screws. This means you need to line up both coils perfectly and get your lead lengths right before you tighten which can be a headache. I've built with the leads on the same side of the screw as well as either side of each screw and both methods seem to work well. Having the leads on either side of the screw does however make things a little easier.

Here are some pics of a setup that I built yesterday. It's by no means text book but I found coiling and wicking like this works for me.
0.35ohms at 50W on the eVic VT and no dry hits, holds up pretty well.

20150902_081717-01.jpg 20150902_081725-01.jpg 20150902_081728-01.jpg 20150902_081731-01.jpg 20150902_082420-01.jpg 20150902_082712-01.jpg 20150902_083903-01.jpg
Nice dense flavorful clouds and the vape was not warm. No need to open the additional drip tip airflow.

Overall rating for the deck: 8.7/10
Gains points for size, airflow, wicking wells, flavour, wicking speed.
Looses points for lack of post holes.

UPDATE TIME: Got me the TF-R2 last week-the dual rebuildable deck, oh how I searched for this thing. Good thing, one of the forum vendors got stock and came through.

Overall thoughts on the deck
It's a good deck. The size is it's biggest plus. You can fit in 3mm ID 24g,26g, 10 wrap coils easily.
It would have been nicer if they added post holes and not just two screws. This means you need to line up both coils perfectly and get your lead lengths right before you tighten which can be a headache. I've built with the leads on the same side of the screw as well as either side of each screw and both methods seem to work well. Having the leads on either side of the screw does however make things a little easier.

Here are some pics of a setup that I built yesterday. It's by no means text book but I found coiling and wicking like this works for me.
0.35ohms at 50W on the eVic VT and no dry hits, holds up pretty well.

View attachment 34940 View attachment 34941 View attachment 34942 View attachment 34943 View attachment 34944 View attachment 34945 View attachment 34946
Nice dense flavorful clouds and the vape was not warm. No need to open the additional drip tip airflow.

Overall rating for the deck: 8.7/10
Gains points for size, airflow, wicking wells, flavour, wicking speed.
Looses points for lack of post holes.
The TF-R2 looks like a great deck to build some claptons on and I think with regular old 2.5mm coils the airflow should be very flowy. I think I'm going to have to get me a setup like this, I like airy dual coil RBA tanks :)

The TF-R2 looks like a great deck to build some claptons on and I think with regular old 2.5mm coils the airflow should be very flowy. I think I'm going to have to get me a setup like this, I like airy dual coil RBA tanks :)

Agreed, will build some claptons on it when I have the patience :p

You're right on them smaller coils, here's a 2mm I did last week.

IMG-20150826-WA0002.jpg

Oh wow look at that shiney medal:MILKED:

Thanks man!!! ;):inlove::rock::happy::D:p

Awesome build on the dual coil deck @Cave Johnson
Looks very textbook to me!

Morning guys can some one please share there wicking methods with the single coil base on.

Morning guys can some one please share there wicking methods with the single coil base on.

Have a look at the video above. What I did was cut the wick 1.2-1.4mm longer than what he did and worked perfectly.
Your cotton will however be a little wider than standard practice.

Ahh Damn, Riaz you beat me to it.

Great review, but i must add.

You need more power to take full advantage.

What I can say so far is just, amazing !

This is a monster tank, with monster cloud and super flavour that loves your
Juice!IMG_20150903_185838.jpg

I have been on the rba only, and frankly it kicks all other rebuildables ass.
And this is not even yet the dual.

Id say, it is worth it, it caters for everyone, especially the upcomming coils.
6x coil, and also the higher normal ohm coils.

@MunG Yipp I agree. Definitely need more power for the standard coils.

For me thus far, I'm happy with 50W on the dual coil set up. It's my all day tank so I can't allow it to be even heavier on juice :rolf:

Definitely looking forward to that 6 coil coming. Will give the dual nickel a chance as well.

Thanks Cave Johnson for the awesum detailed review, Now i know how to properly wick my TF-R2 :D

@Cave Johnson - Did your TF-R2 come with two spare coils? Mine came with two installed and two spares. the Spares were made from thicker wire and bigger diameter but apparently they are all the same resistance. I installed them yesterday , the Xcube was reading it as 0.3Ohms, but the taste wasn't coming through properly. Just wanted to know if you have tried using these spares and how did it work for you?

@Cave Johnson - Did your TF-R2 come with two spare coils? Mine came with two installed and two spares. the Spares were made from thicker wire and bigger diameter but apparently they are all the same resistance. I installed them yesterday , the Xcube was reading it as 0.3Ohms, but the taste wasn't coming through properly. Just wanted to know if you have tried using these spares and how did it work for you?

Yipp i received two spare coils, 3mm ID. They look like they were meant to fit in the single coil deck but cut the leads and made it fit on the dual deck. If memory serves correct, I was reading around 0.35ohms. Took me two tries to get the wicking correct but worked flawlessly once I got the wicking right.

I recommend a spaced 26g 5-6 wrapped 3mm ID coil. Works like a charm. Using this set up for two weeks now at 50W, no dry hits, wicking perfectly.

Yipp i received two spare coils, 3mm ID. They look like they were meant to fit in the single coil deck but cut the leads and made it fit on the dual deck. If memory serves correct, I was reading around 0.35ohms. Took me two tries to get the wicking correct but worked flawlessly once I got the wicking right.

I recommend a spaced 26g 5-6 wrapped 3mm ID coil. Works like a charm. Using this set up for two weeks now at 50W, no dry hits, wicking perfectly.
Thanks Bud. I also thought they were for the single deck at first, I did cut them and made them fit but i think i have to look at re-wicking it. then i screwed it into the base without the top cap, it was reading 0.7ohms and when i hit the fire bar, after 3seconds, it caught on fire lol . thats when i removed it and fitted the quad coil and decided to seek better advice :D

Back