Spaced coil on RM2 - Popping and Spitting

Thanks very much!
- that was well photographed and brilliantly explained!

I will follow that procedure exactly when I get round to making the next one.

It's my pleasure!

Good luck! Hope it works out better this time for you.

Hi fellow Reonauts

I decided to do something slightly different with my routine coil on my RM2 for my Reo Mini

I spaced the wraps a bit instead of compressing them.

View attachment 15227

VERDICT - it pops and spits like a rattlesnake and spitting cobra put together!!

WHAT I LEARNT - compressed coils are far more refined and more to my liking.

More details

• the first toot after its standing for a bit lets off a gigantic pop. I got such a fright once I nearly dropped my beloved Reo Mini. It calms down a bit with a few toots - but is still vicious and noisy. Far from stealthy
  • If you fire it without putting your mouth on the drip tip it looks like a steam train that's a bit confused. Small puffs of vapour come out of the airhole and drip tip periodically.
  • You don't pinch and squeeze to get the coil glowing from the centre - but interestingly it glowed from the centre outwards from the beginning. And one or two snooker stick moves (ala @Andre) made it even better
  • Its 28g Kanthal, 1.5mm ID, 7 wraps - pretty much my usual Reo Mini coil - perfect for my VM Choc Mint. This spaced coil came out at 1.02 ohms.
  • I wicked it like I normally do, with organic cotton - not too tight, not too loose
  • The flavour is good - perhaps slightly less than with the compressed coil. Throat hit is definitely a bit less.
Just thought I would document and share my findings. If anyone knows why this is performing like it is, I'm all ears. Perhaps its the wicking, perhaps its the spacings that are not uniform. Not sure - but I am nearly ready to rip it out...

@Silver your attention to detail is as always outstanding. Great write up and really worth the read.

@Silver - I cannot comment on the RM2 as I don't own one, but I use the Atomic on my Reo and only use spaced coils. For me, they bring out the flavor more than tight coils. I also use spaced coils in my drippers. Never had spitting in any of them as I make sure that my wick fits nice and tight (not too tight - must be able to pull it back and forth in the coil without holding the coil). Just my 2c :)

@Silver i remember a thread a few months back with a similar topic 'spitting' think i may have even initiated the discussion. what i found is that when i used too little rayon i would get this spitting as a result. in my head it makes sense that if you had loosely wrapped coil with more rayon it would mean that there is more juice available to vaporize as apposed to the opposite where you have hungry coils all fighting for what little juice is available in the rayon. possibly try to wick with a little more wicking material and see if that yields a postivie result. i dont belive this to be an atty result but more a perfecting your build result.
with tight coils the amount of wicking material might work perfectly but as we have learned each coil build requires small changes. and with a loosely wrapped coil its possible more wick is what i needs

@Silver i remember a thread a few months back with a similar topic 'spitting' think i may have even initiated the discussion. what i found is that when i used too little rayon i would get this spitting as a result. in my head it makes sense that if you had loosely wrapped coil with more rayon it would mean that there is more juice available to vaporize as apposed to the opposite where you have hungry coils all fighting for what little juice is available in the rayon. possibly try to wick with a little more wicking material and see if that yields a postivie result. i dont belive this to be an atty result but more a perfecting your build result.
with tight coils the amount of wicking material might work perfectly but as we have learned each coil build requires small changes. and with a loosely wrapped coil its possible more wick is what i needs

Thanks @Marzuq - will try a bit more wicking material.

the first toot after its standing for a bit lets off a gigantic pop. I got such a fright once I nearly dropped my beloved Reo Mini. It calms down a bit with a few toots - but is still vicious and noisy. Far from stealthy

Hii Ho @Silver I burst out laughing! I have the same t-shirt! I had the same issue with the first coil I built in Brooklyn for some unknown reason! Everytime I pressed the fire button I had to change my underpants! :eek: ;)

Interesting thread @Silver with interesting reads, some I can relate to, some not as much maybe.

If I get any snapping/popping it's in an occasional monster 3.5mm-4.5mm big wire way low ohm coil build (they are mostly dual contact coils). To me big coils means big wicks to hold more joose for my long lung hits and at times chain vaping. But they can also hold too much joose if the wicking is not just the right amount with the right tension in the coils. When I don't have it just right I have noticed joose bubble up through the coils to lay on top of them and boil until the coils get up to a temperature that can keep up with the massive available joose supply. So ramp up time becomes a factor. A happy medium is a bit of a quandary as some of my DIY's like tighter coils than others to get their perfect vapes from them. They are all VG or VG Heavy, I build for the joose itself in the atty it's ran in, so the only other factor is their ingredients. Grounds for a possible future study if I ever got around to it maybe. Anyway, I don't see the issue at all with 3.0mm coils (the smallest I build except for the ceramic wicks). I only see it the larger coils sometimes. Easy solution would be to stay with 3mm coils mainly, but I don't always chose to do things the easy way. :) Besides, it rarely happens so it's not a big deal to just rewick a 4th of July build.

Thanks @Spydro
I dont get much spitting anymore but havent experienced more with spaced coils on the RM2
I have been using small ID contact coils for some time and its been no spitting or popping!

Back