Steeping Techniques

Ok so pretty much there will be no turning back once I go for the USC option....

Thanks for the confirmation @Rowan Francis and @johanct I have found one for a good deal, will be making the purchase

You will be highly surprised with the result - remember to put mixes in glass bottles (buy at local pharmacy) before you put in ultra sonic bath.

Small jewelry ones (saw some at Dischem) last year was about R300 and industrial units from R2k

Quite technical but in short: the glass transfers the ultra sonic waves better than plastic.

how effective are the small dischem ones?

Just as good as an industrial unit - the ones they use in chemical labs to mix fluids are about the same or less power as the small ones.

Just as good as an industrial unit - the ones they use in chemical labs to mix fluids are about the same or less power as the small ones.

Perfect, definitely an investment to take then.

Man I love this forum, so much info. Just need a bigger bank balance ;)

@Rowan Francis and @johanct any chance you guys could post a pic of your USCs?

I am still hunting one down. Seems I have found a unit that strikes the balance between build quality, tank capacity and hopefully price.

Would be interesting to see what you guys are using

Here's what I have found so far:

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/1361...Cleaner_For_Jewelry_Glasses_Dentures_etc.html (Can currently be purchased for R51 - not expecting much at that price)

On Groupon (Poopon)

http://www.groupon.co.za/deals/national-deals/gg-prc-4/34162139 (Again, looks a little nasty, but much better than the first one)

http://www.importitall.co.za/Ultras...id-Jewelry-and-Gem-Cleaner-ap-B0049OVNFE.html (This could be the toyota cressida of USCs, built strong, runs forever)

Last edited:
This is what I'm using - total overkill but have it in the electronic lab, use it mainly to clean pcb's after assembly.
Model # PS-D30
Unit Size: 330 x 180 x 260mm
Tank capacity: 4.5L

USC2L.jpg

Hahaha That is a beast!

Thanks Johan :)

I have tracked one down, but its no where near as hardcore as that puppy

No worries, as I said previously even the smallest unit will impress regarding steeping.

i dont have a ultrasonic , i am using a kitchen / bar frother for milk !! and it works brilliantly ....
Same Here! Also using a frother! Can't believe the difference it makes. And you can pic it up for R100

Yip CNA has a nice one for R100 and if you wanna use it for coffee as well they give stencils in the pack

Just realized that I haven't added this method in this thread... It really works wonders. Below is instructions:

"Honestly, this method steeped my Elvis's breakfast in no time and works way better than hot water... Let the bottle get warm for about 5 - 10 mins, remove, shake well, air well and repeat a couple of times. The next day your juice will have changed colour :rock:

In this picture, the bottle is standing up, but rather let it lay down.."

FYI - This desk lamp has a metal cover which helps direct the heat as well, and a 100w normal globe.

Attachments

• IMG_20140624_153858.jpg
    IMG_20140624_153858.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 20
Heat will work, but you will compromise nicotine at temperature >60°C. Also light, (especially in the UV spectrum) will degrade your nic content.

Yip you could be right, but these changes if any will be so minute and fine that it would be hard to notice the difference. Look, if you really cannot wait a week for your juice to steep naturally, it's the next and quickest method.

Damn... where do you guys find the time to do all of this?

If my wife has to see me giving my e-liquid a bath, she will have thought i've lost it :p

If my wife has to see me giving my e-liquid a bath, she will have thought i've lost it :p

Lol... Well on my side, I sit at my work desk almost everyday.. I had juice in my hand, and wanted to vape it but needed to steep first.. that's how it came about :D

Some people watch TV, some people mix juice ;)

So enjoying the wealth of knowledge you guys put out there via your own trial and error. Had a major giggle fit at the microwaving effort and I am looking forward to the rest of the stories after all the other nuked their juices too. But thanks again, for the enlightenment as before today I did not even know what steeping was. Rock on and report back soon on all those interesting experiments

Back