Sx350 - 510 Connectors, Ohm Readings And Other Stuff Needed?

Ended up phoning a tree felling company and finding out where they were working in my neck of the woods. Then I just threw some few massive logs into my motor. Will be bringing the chainsaw out on Sunday
Ok. So after I liberated two car loads of solid wood from people's pavements, and managed to get my hands covered in sap, it dawned on me that wood needs to be dry before one works on it.

So I looked up drying wood and learned a terrible truth.

1 year per cubic inch drying time.

The worst "DOH" moment ever...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Birch Ply! Its available at most hobby stores, is relatively cheap, unbelievably strong, and you can cut it with a stanley knife. Plus, it looks stunning (varnished or not)
I wasn't actually paying attention when I read this post. Damn the negro in me! You wrote birch ply and I read "***** please!"

I need to get more sleep.

Cut smaller chunks and pop them in the oven at a low temp with a wooden spoon jammed in the door to keep it closed. Pop em in there for an hour an evening and they should be good to go in a week!

You sir, are a god amongst insects. A man amongst boys. A shining beacon of light in an otherwise drab and dreary world!

How many degrees C?

Keep it below 100c.

Remember wood will always return back to what the humidity is. You can actually over dry it, but either way, smaller pieces are pretty stable. If the pieces are small (like in the pics) I'd say closer to 50c. The whole trick is to do it gradually - don't want it to move too quickly as it might crack.

How are you planning to finish them?

They'll be bigger than the ones in the last pic. Some will be whole X sections of the log (but that's for another project. Maybe 300mm cubed.

By finish do you mean varnish?

Hmmm, err on the cool side of things :)

Yea! I'd personally recommend some Tung oil. Ends up feeling incredible in the hand and it's quite a strong finish, also foodsafe if that matters.

Never heard of tung oil before. If anyone's interested, I came across a timber yard called country woods based here in sa that has some really stunning local and imported wood. They have warehouses in Jozi, durbs and ct.

Yea, I've bought from em, got some real cool goodies! If you'd like to give some TO a bash, I'll try remember to bring my bottle with next time I pass Jhb and you can give it a bash instead of buying a can yourself (in case you don't like it)

y4u4a6us.jpg

There's another one too. Just haven't taken a picture of it yet.

sapele mahogany is an amazing wood that's also native to our parts, and this stuff is incredible to work with, especially for fine work. My dad made me a lounge table a about 10 years ago from some stock I bought. And it's beautiful.

sapele_title.jpg

Last edited:
Guys, is anyone else having difficulty upgrading the chip to 35w in win8 64bit? Followed all the instructions on the web on how to fix this and it's still giving me grief. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guys, is anyone else having difficulty upgrading the chip to 35w in win8 64bit? Followed all the instructions on the web on how to fix this and it's still giving me grief. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Where are you getting stuck?

Back