Target Resistance

In Addition.... is it strange that on my Ohm Meter, that my coils read 0.32... Yet on my Device they read as 0.13?

Or is something faulty perhaps?

In Addition.... is it strange that on my Ohm Meter, that my coils read 0.32... Yet on my Device they read as 0.13?

Or is something faulty perhaps?
thats a big difference, i would say is loose or touching somewhere to have such a difference.

does it read that on different devices?

thats a big difference, i would say is loose or touching somewhere to have such a difference.

does it read that on different devices?
it reads 0.13 on my Vaporesso and on My VGOD... Im thinking the Ohm Meter is faulty...

What is everyone's general target resistance for coil building?

MTL Single coil devices ... 6 wraps of 28G Stainless Steel on a 2.5mm former = 0.6 Ohm
DL Single Coil devices ... 5 to 6 wraps of 26G Stainless Steel on a 3mm former = 0.4 to 0.5 Ohm
DL Dual Coil devices ... 2 * 5-6 wraps of 26G Stainless Steel on a 3mm former = 0.2 to 0.3 Ohm
MTL Mesh Kanthal ... 0.3 to 0.6 Ohm
DL Mesh (usually Stainless) ... 0.1 to 0.2 Ohm

My MTL vaping is usually in the range 6 to 10 Watts and my DL vaping, in the range 10 to 20 Watts

As to mod vs Ohm Meter / Multimeter resistance measurements ... it's been discussed a few times on ecigssa, check out;
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/threads/different-chipsets-giving-different-resistances.73757/post-935823

I always aim between 0.25 and 0.30 ohm and only build single coils

0.4 is my ideal but it differs depending on wire material, I can use equally as well for either MTL or RDL!

MTL Single coil devices ... 6 wraps of 28G Stainless Steel on a 2.5mm former = 0.6 Ohm
DL Single Coil devices ... 5 to 6 wraps of 26G Stainless Steel on a 3mm former = 0.4 to 0.5 Ohm
DL Dual Coil devices ... 2 * 5-6 wraps of 26G Stainless Steel on a 3mm former = 0.2 to 0.3 Ohm
MTL Mesh Kanthal ... 0.3 to 0.6 Ohm
DL Mesh (usually Stainless) ... 0.1 to 0.2 Ohm

My MTL vaping is usually in the range 6 to 10 Watts and my DL vaping, in the range 10 to 20 Watts

As to mod vs Ohm Meter / Multimeter resistance measurements ... it's been discussed a few times on ecigssa, check out;
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/threads/different-chipsets-giving-different-resistances.73757/post-935823
What SS wire do you use cause I battle to get decent SS wire

What SS wire do you use cause I battle to get decent SS wire
I have a stash of 304 and 316 Stainless, bought at prices not to be seen in SA for a while, however smaller rolls of 316 are still available in SA;

1696857805669.png

I have a stash of 304 and 316 Stainless, bought at prices not to be seen in SA for a while, however smaller rolls of 316 are still available in SA;

View attachment 277904
Thanks not a fan of geekvape or vandy wire
SS from KP is as rare in SA as chicken now

Thanks not a fan of geekvape or vandy wire
SS from KP is as rare in SA as chicken now
I'm curious as to why ... Cost?
To be able to be called 316 Stainless Steel, it has to be within a composition specification that all merchants have to conform to.
1696868880405.png

i use Ni80 only from KP or gashapse
i got 316 and 430 SS but i use them very rarely
the problem i got with SS wire is i dont vape on temp control - yes i know you can vape on watts also but as soon as i do a rewick the flavour is gone them i built my Ni80 alien coils again

Do you have Jewellery making vendors in SA that sell spools of SS wire, I have found some in the US (no good to me shipping is silly money) but also a couple in the UK (only a quick search sure to be more). They do all the guages common to vapers, the most common SS wires on these sites tend to be 304 and 430 and the 430 rather than having a trace of Nickel is Nickel free.

Another idea if certain wire is getting difficult to get in SA is set up a group buy thread and use Zivipf in Germany, great reputation and have just about every wire that can be used for vaping. He also only puts a valuation of $1 down for each spool for international orders to keep any charges low (I had no fees to pay). Thomas is also very helpful if you have a query and his English is better than mine.

the problem i got with SS wire is i dont vape on temp control - yes i know you can vape on watts also but as soon as i do a rewick the flavour is gone them i built my Ni80 alien coils again
Yep I know @Intuthu Kagesi will tell me how dangerous Ni80 is but when I used power modes for vaping I just couldn't beat it for flavour, even when using Replay with SS316 I had hybrid coils made for me with Ni80 outer binding, so glad I have now fully converted to TC so flavour just isn't an issue.

Like you, I also vape mainly on power, and I rewick daily as I find it kinda therapeutic on a level, to which a quick coil glow and dunk into water loosens any gunk and oxides, and I experience minimal if any degradation of flavour. More often than not the reason I replace coils is because I've gotten too enthusiastic pulling out the old wick, and deformed the poor things, (they are skinny 28 gauge wire coils after all), to which winding a new one is jus' quicker and easier than attempting to straighten what looks similar to a bowl of spaghetti.

As to Ni80 ... hmmmm ... I'll keep my big mouth shut, save to say that Nickel Oxide has a Hazmat code :rolleyes:

Yep I know @Intuthu Kagesi will tell me how dangerous Ni80 is but when I used power modes for vaping I just couldn't beat it for flavour, even when using Replay with SS316 I had hybrid coils made for me with Ni80 outer binding, so glad I have now fully converted to TC so flavour just isn't an issue.
IF you never glow your coils, then sure ... Ni80 is an option, buuuuuut ... we know that vapers cook the crud off their coils on a rewick :wasntme:

IF you never glow your coils, then sure ... Ni80 is an option, buuuuuut ... we know that vapers cook the crud off their coils on a rewick :wasntme:
Using TC I forgot that some get crud on their coils, lol!

Like you, I also vape mainly on power, and I rewick daily as I find it kinda therapeutic on a level, to which a quick coil glow and dunk into water loosens any gunk and oxides, and I experience minimal if any degradation of flavour. More often than not the reason I replace coils is because I've gotten too enthusiastic pulling out the old wick, and deformed the poor things, (they are skinny 28 gauge wire coils after all), to which winding a new one is jus' quicker and easier than attempting to straighten what looks similar to a bowl of spaghetti.
On one level I hope trying to re-wick my Zirconium build turns into a monumental f^ck up, I can't wait to wrap another coil and yes while not needing to re-wick for such a long period of time is great on one level I also find re-wicking therapeutic!

Strang though, my twisted Kanthal at 0.38 gives a better flavour hit than my fused claptons that iget to 0.13

Back