THC Tauren Solo RDA

Timwis

Vaping Royalty
LV

Awards
Hi Ecigssa members, In this review i take a look at the Tauren Solo RDA from Thunderhead Creations. The Tauren Solo RDA was sent for the purpose of this review by Pearl from Cigabuy.

https://www.cigabuy.com/authentic-thc-ta...14334.html

Introduction

Thunderhead Creations are best known for their rebuildable atty's especially the Tauren series. The machining and overall build quality of any THC product i have used in the past has always been a cut above the norm if the atty's themselves are not always suitable for the beginner builder. Coming like other THC atty's, packaged in a Stainless Steel Canister with base also being an atty stand then placed within a pouch along with a bag of accessories, the Tauren Solo RDA is immaculately presented. Let's give it a good look!

In The Box

Contents:

Comes in Metal casing with base being an atty stand
1 x THC Tauren Solo RDA(with regular 510 pin)
1 x 510 BF pin
1 x Hexagon wrench
1 x Accessories bag

Aesthetics

The Tauren Solo RDA came in the usual canister with base that doubles up as an atty stand, the can along with a bag of accessories including manual has then been placed into a pouch with a tag giving the name of the product and colour version. I received the Gunmetal version, it's also available in SS Black, SS, Gold, Copper, Brass Black, Copper Black and Brass, all versions come with a ultem Goon style fitting 810 up top. The drip tip has a Black band around it's base with "THUNDERHEAD CREATIONS" printed, for those that like plain atty's i can't see this bothering you as the band is very narrow and the printed writing is tiny and barely noticeable. Around the top of the RDA we have heavy knurling in a sought of gear design and on the face of the sleeve we have the Tauren logo and "SOLO" carved very cleanly into the metal. We have dual side airflow slots then moving to the base we have etched branding and serial number, mine is No 0443. The Tauren Solo comes with a standard Gold plated 510 pin installed but a BF pin is also included, the pin is Hybrid safe in my opinion. The metal on the RDA is thick making it reassuringly weighty and the machining is so clean, very impressed with the build quality.

Tauren Solo RDA Specs and Features:

Size: 24 x 30mm
Material: 304SS / Brass / Copper
Capacity: 2ml
Drip Tip: 810 PEI
Deck: Single Coil (BF supported)
Unique 3D honeycomb airflow system
Easy single coil build deck
31-micro air holes for excellent flavor
Deep juice well & top / bottom filling
Thread: 510
Colours: SS Black, SS, Gunmetal, Gold, Copper, Brass Black, Copper Black, Brass

It's Various Parts

The Tauren Solo simply consists of a goon style drip tip, one piece sleeve and base (deck) section. It comes pre-installed with a standard pin which to remove to install the BF pin needs unscrewing with a flathead screwdriver which isn't included. The sleeve has 2 elongated notches cutout inside which in conjunction with the outside of the deck is your locking system and also acting as stoppers for airflow adjustment, once the sleeve is fitted it only allows movement the length of the notches which is just what is needed to go from airflow fully open to fully closed.

The Airflow

The Tauren Solo has a honeycomb airflow system with air coming from underneath the coil and from both sides. We have 17 holes shared between 3 rows underneath the coil and 7 holes on each post with both the bottom and side airflow being contoured around the coil to give 3D coverage. The airflow can be adjusted by dual cyclops and the air enters the airflow system through a slot each side found on the outside of the base section. The air is angled downwards to enter an air chamber underneath the deck, some air on it's journey will also enter the hollows in the centre sections of the posts to enter the deck through the air holes directed at the side and top of the coil. Most of the air as mentioned will go underneath the deck and get forced up through the 17 holes underneath the coil. As well as the airflow system trying to give as much coverage as possible it has also been designed to try and prevent leaking through the airflow slots. First the airflow is angled downwards from the slots so any e-liquid that gets into the airflow would need to go upwards to escape but also you can see just how good the design is when swapping 510 pins has this allows removal of the airflow system to have a closer look. At the base of the airflow chamber underneath the honeycomb airflow holes it is slanted from the centre downwards both sides directing any e-liquid that gets into the airflow out of the airflow system and into the juice wells.

The Deck and Build

I have already explained the airflow system on the deck and i must say the machining on the deck is very impressive. We have 2 posts facing each other with terminals at both ends with the side airflow holes between. Although this is a 24mm deck and their are 4 terminals this is strictly a single coil RDA and not the easiest build. Their is a groove each side of the deck to rest a coiling rod in to help keep the coil in position while tightening the hex screws when fitting your legs and trying to hold your coil in the small area between the 3 airflow sections without the aid of a tool would be very tricky. You also need to pre-cut your coil legs and need them quite short because if they are too long to centre the coil it would need lifting too far up and not getting the full benefit of the airflow, you really do need the coil sitting very low. Once you have your legs cut (4.5mm is about spot on) and in your terminals, fasten down the screws and then using the coiling rod position centrally if needed. Once your coil is fitted you are home and dry as wicking is straight forward with the deep juice wells allowing you to be generous with your cotton. I already mentioned a flathead screwdriver wasn't included when one is needed to swap the pins and also you get no coils or cotton which is a big con. In my opinion any rebuildable atomizer should come with all the tools needed and also what's needed to do at least one build.

My Experience Using The Tauren Solo

The Tauren Solo gives far more air than most single coil RDA's with just slight restriction. After trying different airflow positions i settled for it 2 thirds open which is less restriction than i normally go for but the Solo likes both air and wattage. The Solo is quite a loud RDA but it's not turbulence as the airflow is smooth as honeycomb airflow designs tend to be. I did 2 builds both using a fused Clapton, one with the standard pin and one with the BF pin. The build with the BF pin came out at 0.28ohms while the build with the standard pin (the pictured build) came out at 0.43ohms. I did intend just to use the Tauren Solo on the Tauren Mech Mod and the semi mechanical Asmodus Pumper Squonk Mod but it became evident the Solo wanted more wattage than single battery unregulated devices were giving even with a fresh battery. When trying each build on regulated devices i found even the 0.43ohm build which i usually would be at 30W was at it's best at 65W, i also used the 0.28ohm build with the topside Dual at 95W which is strange as usually i don't get on with anything like that sort of wattage but the Solo lapped it up. When i first saw the airflow design and how the whole coil should be getting coverage i did expect the Solo to be a flavour banger and although the flavour is good it's far more a cloud producer that gives good but not great flavour. I can see a lot of vapers loving this high wattage single coiler but personally flavour is my priority and i prefer to be more efficient with my batteries vaping between 30W to 50W max. The airflow is designed to prevent leaking and i had no issues whatsoever but no RDA i have used is leakproof and even with the Solo if you seriously over squonk or drip leaking is more than possible.

Very good build quality
Excellent packaging
Base of canister doubles up as an atty stand
Aesthetically pleasing
Plenty of colour options
All machining impressive
Takes quite some over squonking or dripping to have leaking issues
Personally suffered no leaking
Honeycomb 3D airflow
O-ring tolerances for airflow adjustment spot on
Excellent cloud production
Those that like high wattage will like this
Flavour good (flavour also mentioned in cons as although good their are RDA's that give much better)
BF pin included
Deep juice well
Smooth airflow
Plenty of air for single coiler

Cons

Not the easiest to build (wouldn't recommend to someone new to rebuildables)
No coils, cotton or flathead screwdriver (needed to swap pins)included
More for cloud than flavour (flavours good but plenty of RDA's give better flavour)
Quite loud
Not suitable for those that like low wattage

I would once again like to thank Pearl from Cigabuy for supplying the Tauren Solo RDA for the purpose of this review.

https://www.cigabuy.com/authentic-thc-ta...14334.html

Nice review as always. My concern here is that bottom airflow. So when you drip you have to do so on the sides where the cotton is and not directly on the coil since the juice wil just go down the AF. thinking about it in a logical point it should only leak if u purge and drip onto the coil. Dripping on the coil even if some juice goes into the AF it shouldn't repel out the sides due to the angles of machinery done. Taking a normal drag should take the small amounts that went into the AF straight back into the deck.

If you like to purge and drip on the coil this wont be really enjoyable.

I agree even when squonking, you’d better be cautious as it’s prone to leaking…

I agree even when squonking, you’d better be cautious as it’s prone to leaking…
I solved that issue by cutting the cotton a bit shorter so that when you squonk the juice doesn’t push against the cotton and come back up and out the air holes.

Never had any leaking issues with the angled airflow but then I am always very conservative when squonking and on the rare occasion I drip!

Single coil 24mm RDA, side to bottom airflow and a deep juice well. You need to seriously over drip/squonk or let your setup lie on its side to get leaking out of this one.

Back