The big question MTL, DL, RDL

Oh there are many iterations of a "Silver"

Most will include but not exclusively

A feeling of lightheaded
The inability to stand up
weakness in the knees
The inability to elucidate exactly what is wrong with you.

if you have never had the above, you have never done a "Silver"

Oh there are many iterations of a "Silver"

Most will include but not exclusively

A feeling of lightheaded
The inability to stand up
weakness in the knees
The inability to elucidate exactly what is wrong with you.

if you have never had the above, you have never done a "Silver"

In other words, the same feeling I get every time I see Jennifer Connelly...

Ahhh - that's me with 12mg MTL juice (hate the stuff).
Mind you the same used to happen to me back in the day when trying to do weed & that's why I never took to it
Its different though, one is getting baked, the other one is getting flame seared on the open fire pits of hell xD

@Spunk3yMunk3y it all boils down to your own preference and how you build and vape on any tank. You don't need to use a MTL RTA purely for MTL, there is a lot of vapers that opens it up, slaps a lower ohm coil in there and go RDL on a MTL tank. Then you get vapers that takes a DL tank, put a 810-510 adapter in, stick a 510 driptip on there and vape it as MTL.

The industry norm is easy:

MTL - 0.7ohm and above, 20W and lower.
RDL - 0.2ohm to 0.6ohm, 30-60W
DL - sub 0.2ohm, 60W+

But still, it boils down to preference.

Me, I don't like full blown DL. I RDL at +/- 0.25ohm and 45-50W. And then I love MTL at 1ohm and 15W. I use max 6mg Nic in all setups (but mostly 3mg) and I don't use 50/50 High Nic as I don't like High Nic and my stomach is not fond of high PG levels, so most of my juice I use is 70/30 (yes, in MTL too). The only difference is that I wick for thicker juice in my MTL setups as well which means tight in the coil but light in the wick ports.

I have also found a liking in juices that don't affect each other, so if I change from MTL (Tobacco/Tobacco & other flavors/Vanilla Custard/Banana Custard) to RDL (Fruit on Ice) the different flavor profiles does not affect each other and I can change without having to first clear my pallet between vapes. I have also not experience vapors tongue for more than a year now.

What I can suggest you do is do some research, watch as much YouTube videos as your data plan can allow you, pick a couple of tanks from each area of MTL/RDL/DL and get some suggestions on which ones to try and which ones to avoid. You will get mixed feedback on most, but there will always be a consensus on most of them. Then shortlist it and try the ones suggested. Take it and do various build options and run different juice profiles through them. Going to take you a week or two per tank but you will quickly start filtering out what works best with each type of vaping style for you. From there you can fine tune what you are looking for. If you want something more restricted than a Dead Rabbit V2 RDA, go for a Digiflavor Drop or a Drop Dead for example. If you want something tighter than a Hellvape Vertex on MTL, go for an OBS Engine MTL RTA.

Coiling and wicking is also subject to your liking, not everyone likes the same type of wire and cotton. Coil placement works different for everyone, just like the amount of cotton used. But ask if you don't come right or want "more" from what you are experiencing on a specific setup. Someone might just have the answer you need to make it that 5% better you are looking for.

The amount of options out there is almost equal to the amount of opinions. Don't rush it, dont force it. It is a learning curve with a hit and miss process.
Yep. my favoured way to vape recently is a medium MTL but with a a 0.4ohm coil which also means the tighter airflow and long narrow bore 510 means it's great at just 20w while giving a strong vape intense with flavour!

There is no rules or regulations, You may do as you please. And unfortunately that may cause the end of vaping.
I know people that vape 30+mg nic salts on DL or RDL 0.5 ohm, maybe because they don't know the risk or maybe because they just can?

I personally like to vape a loose mtl or tight rdl on a lower ohm coil but less watts than the norm like a 0.3ohm coil on 28watts or 0.5ohm coil on 18 watts
Yes those wattages with those ohms are in line with how I vape as well and I vary between a medium MTL up to a tight RDL so very similar!

When I started vaping the mg was important to me and getting a throat hit to mimic that of a cigarette and when I use to vape different styles I needed to adjust the nic strength accordingly! Years later it doesn't matter what style I vape at what wattage, 70/30 3mg with everything!

When I started vaping the mg was important to me and getting a throat hit to mimic that of a cigarette and when I use to vape different styles I needed to adjust the nic strength accordingly! Years later it doesn't matter what style I vape at what wattage, 70/30 3mg with everything!
I've been struggling to get a throat hit going, more so feels like a lung hit depending on the juice haha the smashd 10mg 50/50 makes me cough but the snow cone 12mg 60/40 feels fine and tastes great... Weird how it works. Maybe I am somewhat desenstised to throat hit idk.
For me so far I've noticed the following from this discussion and my own experience:

The quality of juice makes a huge difference in harshness

The coil you use and wicking technique makes a huge difference

The rest (see mods and tanks) don't seem?? To make that big a difference if we all sticking sub 80 Watts and above 0.1x ohms anyway??

Or am I wrong?

Sometimes feels like there's too many variables and even with the same build on the same tank and same juice unless you are a clinical coil builder and wicker it'll still come out slightly different every time?

Last edited:
Also, in saying this, I've never vaped on high end gear so I probably have a McDonald's taste vs Gordon Ramsay Wagyu burger xD

Also, in saying this, I've never vaped on high end gear so I probably have a McDonald's taste vs Gordon Ramsay Wagyu burger xD
Save your money, spending big doesn't necessarily mean you get better vape or/and performance!

I've been struggling to get a throat hit going, more so feels like a lung hit depending on the juice haha the smashd 10mg 50/50 makes me cough but the snow cone 12mg 60/40 feels fine and tastes great... Weird how it works. Maybe I am somewhat desenstised to throat hit idk. For me so far I've noticed the following:
The quality of juice makes a huge difference in harshness
The coil you use and wicking technique makes a huge difference
The rest (see mods and tanks) don't seem?? To make that big a difference if we all sticking sub 80 Watts and above 0.1x ohms anyway??
Or am I wrong? Sometimes feels like there's too many variables and even with the same build on the same rank and same juice unless you are a clinical coil builder and wicker it'll still come out slightly different every time?
2 things really give the throat hit although the characteristics of atomisers can also play a role. It's the nic strength and PG ratio although as we have moved towards higher VG e-liquids PG plays less of a role but at one time the most common ratios were 70PG/30VG, 80PG/20VG, with 50/50 giving the highest VG you would get! The higher the wattage and you vapourize much more e-liquid in one hit so if 12mg is ideal for some one at 15w mtl if they then vaped DL at 80w they would get just as much nic in one hit at 3mg! Also like you say other variables so even the brand of nic used in the e-liquid can effect harshness and also nic salts are much smoother!

2 things really give the throat hit although the characteristics of atomisers can also play a role. It's the nic strength and PG ratio although as we have moved towards higher VG e-liquids PG plays less of a role but at one time the most common ratios were 70PG/30VG, 80PG/20VG, with 50/50 giving the highest VG you would get! The higher the wattage and you vapourize much more e-liquid in one hit so if 12mg is ideal for some one at 15w mtl if they then vaped DL at 80w they would get just as much nic in one hit at 3mg! Also like you say other variables so even the brand of nic used in the e-liquid can effect harshness and also nic salts are much smoother!
Man I had to read that twice! PG was literally like how VG is today! 70Pg/30Vg just imagine the harshness... And the juice must have been basically like water :O it's quite amazing how we have "evolved"

Man I had to read that twice! PG was literally like how VG is today! 70Pg/30Vg just imagine the harshness... And the juice must have been basically like water :O it's quite amazing how we have "evolved"
Yep the sub-ohm tank is only about 6 years old! And wicking holes on Mtl coils and in clearomisers were like pin size, any thicker they wouldn't wick!

Just thought I would say that I have been asking exactly the same Questions as OP in the last few days and the last few weeks have taught me just how much personal experience and needs account for personal taste.

I have only been using PNP Pod tanks yet I started with MTL because I wanted the experience to match smoking as closely as possible.
I then flipped to DL after trying everything in between that my pod would allow.

I have tried all the above with two types of coils and wattage's ranging from 25 to 75watt using juices from 6mg to 18mg.

The one thing that matters is I found a system that works for me.
I preferred and still prefer this over tobacco. I feel like I hit the jackpot at times in fact:)

Anyway, I have gotten to the point where I accept I can not know everything about this all at once but will learn as time goes on.

There really is no standard for everyone but I think there is a solution for everyone.

I have started and stopped vaping many times until I finally found rebuildables (initially could not understand the hype... my oh my was I wrong). I found flavour on a cheap tank that a lot of people wrote off but it worked for me at the time. I have 2 setups in rotation, one DL and one MTL/RDL so I have not spent a lot...... yet. For me 12Mg Freebase nic did the trick with a tobaccoish profile (there are plenty to choose from) As mentioned earlier , play with wicking thickness and length (not so thick you cannot guide it through the coil but not loose enough to fall out either) and position and distance of teh coil from airflow.

May you build happy clouds and find your sweet spot way sooner than the end of another rabbit hole (or another stinkie) :beer-toast1:

I have started and stopped vaping many times until I finally found rebuildables (initially could not understand the hype... my oh my was I wrong). I found flavour on a cheap tank that a lot of people wrote off but it worked for me at the time. I have 2 setups in rotation, one DL and one MTL/RDL so I have not spent a lot...... yet. For me 12Mg Freebase nic did the trick with a tobaccoish profile (there are plenty to choose from) As mentioned earlier , play with wicking thickness and length (not so thick you cannot guide it through the coil but not loose enough to fall out either) and position and distance of teh coil from airflow.

May you build happy clouds and find your sweet spot way sooner than the end of another rabbit hole (or another stinkie) :beer-toast1:

Thanks dude, I hope so too, I feel like I need to break the mold and just try stuff and experiment, just mess around and have fun and see what comes, good or bad

Last edited:
Just thought I would say that I have been asking exactly the same Questions as OP in the last few days and the last few weeks have taught me just how much personal experience and needs account for personal taste.

I have only been using PNP Pod tanks yet I started with MTL because I wanted the experience to match smoking as closely as possible.
I then flipped to DL after trying everything in between that my pod would allow.

I have tried all the above with two types of coils and wattage's ranging from 25 to 75watt using juices from 6mg to 18mg.

The one thing that matters is I found a system that works for me.
I preferred and still prefer this over tobacco. I feel like I hit the jackpot at times in fact:)

Anyway, I have gotten to the point where I accept I can not know everything about this all at once but will learn as time goes on.

There really is no standard for everyone but I think there is a solution for everyone.
That's great that you found what works for you! When you experimented with different styles and wattages was that with the PnP Pod tank? If so you were never going to get a good MTL but manufactured due to the airflow leakage and proprietary drip tip! What @DarthBranMuffin said is quite correct but only if it's within the design capabilities of the atomiser! The purpose made MTL P'n'P pod does give a reasonable MTL vape but not really on one of the Voopoo pod devices due to the flawed airflow design which gives too much air leakage as mentioned, those pods and pod tanks from Voopoo are great for a DL vape (apart from leaking coils) which is why that's where you found your happy place with it!

Last edited:
That's great that you found what works for you! When you experimented with different styles and wattages was that with the PnP Pod tank? If so you were never going to get a good MTL but manufactured due to the airflow leakage and proprietary drip tip! What @DarthBranMuffin said is quite correct but only if it's within the design capabilities of the atomiser! The purpose made MTL P'n'P pod does give a reasonable MTL vape but not really on one of the Voopoo pod devices due to the flawed airflow design which gives too much air leakage as mentioned, those pods and pod tanks from Voopoo are great for a DL vape (apart from leaking coils) which is why that's were you found your happy place with it!

Thank you for the above and yes I agree, I think the DL also came from only being able to find 6mg/ml juice at the time of buying my kit and chainsmoking.

Currently I DL juices ranging from 12 to 16mg/ml @ 28 t0 45W. I know it sounds OTT but Nic and W have been dropping significantly over the past few weeks without me chain vaping (as in I was DL'ing 18mg @ 45 to 55w a couple weeks back).

All back to personal preference/need I guess :)

Currently All I would like to perfect my experience is less darth vader noises :))

As well as MTL, RDL and DL there's a bespoke style that comes within that loose MTL, tight RDL area! A very loose MTL and tight RDL has the same restriction it's just the style you change! When I use to vape more RDL style I would switch between RDL and MTL with the same set-up and airflow (with atomisers like the original single coil Zeus and Serpent Elevate), those that do this often enough tend to merge the two styles and develop a bespoke style!

Last edited:
Back