The gestation of a box mod :P

n0ugh7_zw

Data in the streets, Riker in the sheets!
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
Ok, so I've been fooling around with making micarta (Kinda related to fibre glass and carbon fibre), cutting it in my laser engraver, and then working on it with hand tools.

I'm really far from an expert, only been messing with it for a week.

But! I want to make a box mod :) I think I do a dual parallel box to start. But I really want a quad parallel box, kinda like the Hammer of God mod, but prettier :p

Here's a picture of a dual 18650 stand I made this week, it's very rough around the edges but it's taught me a lot about how to work with the micarta.

I've gotten myself some better clamps, and 2 old but polished slabs of granite to clamp the micarta down, so there should be minimal variations in thickness. I'm also hoping to pick up some better quality resin this morning, so that it saturates more of the fabric fibres. It should help with getting a nice shiny polished finish.

My goal for today is to cast 2-3 panels, and polish them. so that they can get cut on Monday.

Then... Hopefully I can do all my assembly work on Tuesday-Thursday and possibly finish the mod off on Saturday when I grab a DIY box kit at the meet.

Last edited:
:p casting the panels will be more like a weekend goal :) it's going a little slower than I'd like.

I did find some awesome colour changing fabric, goes from a purple to a dark brown to a green.

Keen to see how that works out in the final sheets. First ones clamped down, should be able to post pics in 5-7hrs once its cured.

P.S. ProTip No. 1 don't get polyester resin on your skin... its a right b*** to get off.

Last edited:
:p casting the panels will be more like a weekend goal :) it's going a little slower than I'd like.

I did find some awesome colour changing fabric, goes from a purple to a dark brown to a green.

Keen to see how that works out in the final sheets. First ones clamped down, should be able to post pics in 5-7hrs once its cured.

P.S. ProTip No. 1 don't get polyester resin on your skin... its a right b*** to get off.

PS: Get Acetone, it takes resin off almost anything.

Hmmm, first result. I'm not that keen on it tbh. It wasn't soaked with enough resin, and the pattern sewn onto the fabric makes it look like the micarta's being eaten by worms.

I'm going to try and take off the pattern. Because I am very keen on the colours this stuff gives. I'm also going to get more inventive with my layering for round 2.

I'm aiming for around 5mm thick, thats enough to make a sturdy box out of.

So my Ideal sheet size is pretty small. 110 x 170 X 5mm

The 2 slabs of granite + the 4 "G" clamps worked well :)

Righto, another update pretty tatty :p but I'm learning :)

I need to work on a nicer design... This ones very boxy :p the internal dimensions of the box are 90 x 60 x 30mm (I want to have the flexibility to use 30mm atties on it) I'm probably not going to take this one any further, the yellow micarta is very boring since I didn't layer any other colours in it.

Last edited:
some fun and games with the dremel later, and this is what its looking like. I'm kinda liking it :)

Still want to use a better composed sheet of micarta, i'm thinking maybe yellow + black, or yellow + red :p

Ok, so.... I've decided to go b***s deep with this thing.

Step 1
I'm designing a press to make sheets of micarta that are 500 x 300 x 5mm with a reasonable amount of consistency.

The slabs of granite + G clamps is still giving me a variance of around 1.5mm.
Which ain't bad, but for accurate joins and stuff it's a pain in the ass. Also
because the granite method limits me to a sheet size of about 125 x 170mm
making anything substantial needs multiple sheets, which makes the variance
issue even worse.

On the plus side, micarta is really receptive to laser cutting and engraving.
Minimal melting and distortion.

Step 2
I'm going to design a regulated box (Hopefully SX350J based).

I want to go quad 18650 (dual series, in parallel).
But I'm not sure if thats going to be feasible.
(I'm thinking about 120 x 60 x 50mm for the quad)

If its not then it'll have to be a normal dual 18650 series box.
(I'm thinking 120 x 60 x 30mm for the dualie)

I'm expecting to go through a crap load of material in testing and getting things to line up and such.
(I'm keen on the idea of using this yellow sponge cloth stuff with a dark denim)

So this won't be quick.
Maybe a month or 2 worth of work.

Step 3
I'm going to try and document/video as much of the process of making it as possible.
I also want to post all my source files (in PDF for optimum compatibility) either here or link to it here.
So that anyone who wants to follow me down the rabbit hole has a map :p

Tomorrow morning I'll start by uploading the design for a dual 18650 mechanical box (Still kinda rough around the edges, but it's perdy accurate)

Will need to wait till I've secured a board before I can design the alpha of the box :p

Hey @n0ugh7_zw - I admire your determination!

After being imparted with some seriously good advice and conversation from @hands I've been focussing more on finishing the box i started. before moving onto the next thing.

OMG... like no nicotine at all... This CA finish is so shiny!

From this

To this

Then this

And then this... :p

IMG_1643.JPG here is that pan scrubbing pad i talked about. its about 8mm thick and big enough to make panels for a 4 battery mod.just soak in resin and press and you good to go, instant panels.

I have to say the finish on your mod is incredible, awesome work @n0ugh7_zw

Dude, I've been keeping an eye on this and I must say I'm pretty excited to see it finished but at the same time I'm enjoying the process.

Well done man :)

Dude, I've been keeping an eye on this and I must say I'm pretty excited to see it finished but at the same time I'm enjoying the process.

Well done man :)

Thanks a lot man, i'll bring it down with me, so you can check it out up close.

Last edited:
who needs sleep anyway ;)
the box has a retro kind of look and i like that
reminds me of
Pacman-cutscene.png

or more modern
4628fbb9dc70514d389ed9491243866f_400x400.png

Right, sorry for the quiet patch, but i've been busy.

This is version 0.000001 lots of stuff i want to change and do better.

that's one big box:clap:. what material did you use on this one?.

Back