The JB Squonker Thread

Good job John. I like the look of this one, how tight is the button push on your side firing REO?
The button is a bit tricky to get right because the wall thickness on the Grand is much less than a P67,I tried to get the button to sit in the cut out when its in the off position,I haven't quite managed it but I may be able to mill just a little more out of the side and drill the hole in the button a little deeper as well.

The button is a bit tricky to get right because the wall thickness on the Grand is much less than a P67,I tried to get the button to sit in the cut out when its in the off position,I haven't quite managed it but I may be able to mill just a little more out of the side and drill the hole in the button a little deeper as well.
I'm liking the idea of one of your classy JB Squonkers with a side fire button.
The white one specifically :D

I'm liking the idea of one of your classy JB Squonkers with a side fire button.
The white one specifically :D
Not so easy to do especially in a non conductive case,but its given me something to think about:)

Not so easy to do especially in a non conductive case,but its given me something to think about:)
I would appreciate you gave some thought into adding a dna 200 chip in there as well.

Time for some American to South African translations... :D

In SA we call these chips..

In the US these are crisps
download (1).jpg

And these are French Fries
download.jpg

And this we call a Scone and in the US a scone is a biscuit.
download (2).jpg

And robot vs traffic light
And boot vs trunk

mmmmmm scones with some apricot jam and whip cream.

slap chips, Rob you will have to translate

slap chips.jpg

Another of my hobbies/passions it's turned into a food/cooking thread :D:banana:

Last edited:
When I polished a P67 recently I thought it might be a nice project to try and turn a standard Reo into a sort of P67 trying to use a many of the original parts as I could.
I set out with the intention of making this another polished mod but I like the brushed look so much I'm keeping it that way for now.
The 'inset' on the back is filled with dyed stabilised wood dust and again I was going to CA finish and polish it,but I like it as is because it matches the mod.
View attachment 49395 View attachment 49396 View attachment 49397 View attachment 49398

Looks stunning Genosmate - I just can't see how the switch 'button' connects the positive from battery to the 510 center pin?

Your skills are amazing @Genosmate!

I'm super jealous. For the first time with me and gadgets, I'm really bothered by the aesthetics of my Reo.

I got yet another 22mm atty - the Hastur - and the overhang is driving me mad :)

I've wondered what tools I would need to chop off that damn raised part.

It all this ogling of these gorgeous mods lately that everyone posts pics of. I never used to care less what my mods looked like.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Looks stunning Genosmate - I just can't see how the switch 'button' connects the positive from battery to the 510 center pin?
Hi Johan,you are the one who had to take all your time and patience to explain how I could get a battery to provide power to an atty via a switch and this one uses what you told me 'kiss'.
I've fixed a piece of BC to the underside of the delrin insert,I've dropped a spot of solder on the BC so I can use a flat top 18650 and made sure to keep it insulated from the outside of the new 510 by making an elongated insulator,initially I planned to take an L shape piece of BC from the 510 pos but realised I could do it by just using the nut.if I also understood you correctly, less parts and less differing materials should equal less voltage drop.

Your skills are amazing @Genosmate!

I'm super jealous. For the first time with me and gadgets, I'm really bothered by the aesthetics of my Reo.

I got yet another 22mm atty - the Hastur - and the overhang is driving me mad :)

I've wondered what tools I would need to chop off that damn raised part.

It all this ogling of these gorgeous mods lately that everyone posts pics of. I never used to care less what my mods looked like.

Thanks for the comments,very kind.
I've done two variations of a 'flat top',one with and one without a 510.
The one with a 510 is probably easier.you could drill out the existing 510 (not sure how easy this would be on a S/S one) on a drill press,maybe even using a hand held drill.Cutting off the catch cup could be done with a hacksaw and tidied up with a file and wet sanding.'letting' in the deck of the 510 maybe possible with a spade bit but at very slow rotation.The other bits could be done with hand tools and patience if you keep the existing firing button etc.let me know if you give it a try and I'll help where I can.

Thanks for the comments,very kind.
I've done two variations of a 'flat top',one with and one without a 510.
The one with a 510 is probably easier.you could drill out the existing 510 (not sure how easy this would be on a S/S one) on a drill press,maybe even using a hand held drill.Cutting off the catch cup could be done with a hacksaw and tidied up with a file and wet sanding.'letting' in the deck of the 510 maybe possible with a spade bit but at very slow rotation.The other bits could be done with hand tools and patience if you keep the existing firing button etc.let me know if you give it a try and I'll help where I can.
Lol... it won't be any time soon. I would be to scared to ruin my only Reo.

But thank you very much, I will remember in future. When I get another Reo.

Translation attempt... french fries that are not crisp but almost mushy and normally wrapped in paper with a helping of vinegar. Very South African.

Thanks for all the interpretation of potato products.

I live in a province called British Columbia in a country that is a former British colony, so (unlike the US) we have many of the same terms for some things (e.g, "chips", and everyone here knows about boots and bonnets). We also have a french heritage, so "frits" are an acceptable term, too.

And then there is this...

201473-poutine.jpg

It's poutine - chips, cheese curd, and gravy. It's also a heart attack in a bowl.

Thanks for all the interpretation of potato products.

I live in a province called British Columbia in a country that is a former British colony, so (unlike the US) we have many of the same terms for some things (e.g, "chips", and everyone here knows about boots and bonnets). We also have a french heritage, so "frits" are an acceptable term, too.

And then there is this...

View attachment 49581

It's poutine - chips, cheese curd, and gravy. It's also a heart attack in a bowl.
Then we have some things in common : chips are chips or frites not crisps and what are French fries! I'm a Brit living in SA for about 10 years now and my wife is French :)

Then we have some things in common : chips are chips or frites not crisps and what are French fries! I'm a Brit living in SA for about 10 years now and my wife is French :)

Ho ho - so is my wife. C'est bon, n'est-ce pas? ;)

We don't usually use the term "french" fries in this part of the country - our hippy west coast society can get a bit touchy about cultural references.

Hi Johan,you are the one who had to take all your time and patience to explain how I could get a battery to provide power to an atty via a switch and this one uses what you told me 'kiss'.
I've fixed a piece of BC to the underside of the delrin insert,I've dropped a spot of solder on the BC so I can use a flat top 18650 and made sure to keep it insulated from the outside of the new 510 by making an elongated insulator,initially I planned to take an L shape piece of BC from the 510 pos but realised I could do it by just using the nut.if I also understood you correctly, less parts and less differing materials should equal less voltage drop.

Thanks for the explanation, I initially thought you make contact with the nut, then I thought I might be nuts ;-).

Refined a couple things on the side firing Reo and decided to play around with flat top.
I often get asked to modify Reo's but once I've done one I don't want to replicate it,I suppose I might part with one or two of my own but who wants a Reo with the same atty mated to it.
I fitted a spring loaded 510 so technically flat top isn't flat anymore,cut the button size down a bit,then had a play with some ink because the brass door is crap.
Cleaned the CC a bit as well.
IMG_1822.jpg

Back