The Official Air Fryer thread

Hard boil 6 eggs and when done drop into ice water.

Let eggs cool while you take one onion, dice and fry.

Peel and grate the eggs and mix with onion.

Shape into fingers (like fish fingers) roll in flour, then roll in beaten egg and then roll in bread crumbs.

200C for 5-6 mins and then turn and another 3-4 mins for the other side

Serve on a toasted muffin covered with a cheese sauce (from Woolies)

An airfryer basically is a small fan assisted oven. Most of the designs feature a heating element similar to what you find under the hot plate of an electric hob. Add to that a fan and a pan with holes in it and you have a fan assisted oven.

You would normally heat up an oven or a pan to cook, to my mind same principle applies. I would never do meat in an oven from cold, neither would I put bacon in a cold pan.

That makes sense ... I'll preheat in future. Thanks!

So my wife and I decided to adult a bit and get an airfryer.

Need some advice on the models. (Feels like the beginning of another rabbithole)

Hifi Corp got the Phillips XL on a pretty good special right now. But you don't seem to find many accesories for it. Does the XXL accesories fit in the XL model?

So my wife and I decided to adult a bit and get an airfryer.

Need some advice on the models. (Feels like the beginning of another rabbithole)

Hifi Corp got the Phillips XL on a pretty good special right now. But you don't seem to find many accessories for it. Does the XXL accesories fit in the XL model?

Nope. You have to get the accessories for the size which you have. Have a look on Takealot for accessories.

EDIT
Before you buy, why do you want an airfryer? The reason I'm asking is this. I bought one because I thought it would make washing up easier.

I fry (in coconut oil) most of my food on the stovetop and there's always oil splatter which has to be cleaned off the stove and counter. I thought an airfryer would eliminate that. However, the airfryer quadruples washing up!

Clean after stovetop frying:
1. Pan/wok
2. Stove
3. Counter

Clean after airfrier:
1. Grid/basket - and this is a MISSION because the food sticks to the grid, even if Spray 'n Cook is used. I have to use a nailbrush to get it clean.
2. The part which holds the basket.
3. The part which holds the part which holds the basket.
4. The inside of the airfryer - sides and element.
5. Wipe down outside.

I hate the bloody thing and I seldom use it!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Me... just waiting here for @Stranger to jump in....

tenor.gif

Nope. You have to get the accessories for the size which you have. Have a look on Takealot for accessories.

EDIT
Before you buy, why do you want an airfryer? The reason I'm asking is this. I bought one because I thought it would make washing up easier.

I fry (in coconut oil) most of my food on the stovetop and there's always oil splatter which has to be cleaned off the stove and counter. I thought an airfryer would eliminate that. However, the airfryer quadruples washing up!

1. Pan/wok
2. Stove
3. Counter

Clean after airfrier:
1. Grid/basket - and this is a MISSION because the food sticks to the grid, even if Spray 'n Cook is used. I have to use a nailbrush to get it clean.
5. Wipe down outside.

I need something to shorten cooking time. I work 12 hours every night and my wife works almost 12 hours during the day. Between all the chores and kids there's not much time left for cooking. So we are quickly getting in the habit of take-aways every night. Not very healthy the hips or the wallet.

Guess I'm going to spend my Friday night watching air fryer reviews. What has become of my life?

EDIT

1. Pan/wok
2. Stove
3. Counter

Clean after airfrier:
5. Wipe down outside.

Mine (Phillips) is a 2 piece basket and it goes straight in the dishwasher, no effort required!

After the dishwasher, it's the hardest working appliance in our house!

Well, since you asked, mine is also really hard working but just like any cooking magufta, if you find it sticking, it means it has not been seasoned. First use should be a good wash and then coated in oil and then cooked for 30 mins on 200C. After that the dishwasher can take care of everything else.

All this " no oil" stuff is rubbish, it does need some, far less than frying but you do still need it. If I do chips for example I toss them in a little oil and seasoning before I chuck them in the pan. Always pre heat.

The other thing I can mention, airfryers are not chuck in and forget appliances despite what is touted, they are like any other cooking device and your recipes and food must be monitored like any oven/fry/cook device. Yes they save time as the cooking space is much reduced from a large oven and they heat up quickly. Chips as an example need tossing every now and then so that they cook evenly.

Mine is used daily, even if it is just for the sides. Nothing more convenient than a bag of mixed roast veg tossed in there while you burn some meat on the braai.

Well, since you asked, mine is also really hard working but just like any cooking magufta, if you find it sticking, it means it has not been seasoned. First use should be a good wash and then coated in oil and then cooked for 30 mins on 200C. After that the dishwasher can take care of everything else.

All this " no oil" stuff is rubbish, it does need some, far less than frying but you do still need it. If I do chips for example I toss them in a little oil and seasoning before I chuck them in the pan. Always pre heat.

The other thing I can mention, airfryers are not chuck in and forget appliances despite what is touted, they are like any other cooking device and your recipes and food must be monitored like any oven/fry/cook device. Yes they save time as the cooking space is much reduced from a large oven and they heat up quickly. Chips as an example need tossing every now and then so that they cook evenly.

Mine is used daily, even if it is just for the sides. Nothing more convenient than a bag of mixed roast veg tossed in there while you burn some meat on the braai.

I must agree with you here.

90% of the food that goes into the AF gets a coating of Spray n Cook (olive oil). It makes the cooking better and much easier for my dishwasher.

Mine too is in daily use, with the list of stuff being air-fried forever increasing.

So after spending some research time I'm feeling like a Philips sales rep.

This one seems to tick most of the important boxes and not too bad for a beginner model.

My mates asked , how was your day " I told them I found fame and fortune on a vape forum, talking about air fryers" :facepalm:

Considering that the Braai thread gets more action than the Fitness thread, I don't think we are too bad for a forum of vaping hipsters.

EDIT

1. Pan/wok
2. Stove
3. Counter

Clean after airfrier:
5. Wipe down outside.

I'm usually the dishwasher because I make the most dishes according to my wife. But apparently coffee mugs doesn't count.

I have to give it a go. We can't keep on living off take aways.

When mates come for a braai, we end up with all the bags of chips and pretzels left behind. Me make spring rolls, chicken strips, those skinny chips, meatballs,. I steal all the potato skins when my wife makes roast potato's in the oven, lovely even when cold. If I can be bothered and want to impress, three cheese mushrooms. They last about ten seconds from when I put them down. A lot of this stuff i cook up and it gets served cold as appetizers. No one complains except me as I never get any left overs ...... except the bloody chips and pretzels, bluurg

The other thing I really like making is the chicken strips and then a cheese and carrot mayonnaise filling inside a wrap, but I don't do these for mates, it's a my thing, thing.

You guys do realise that air fryers are just convection ovens with a fancy dress on? Get yourself a nice little convection oven with more space at a lot cheaper… not a bad trade-off for an approximate increase of 10% cooking time (due to the bigger cavity).

I need something to shorten cooking time. I work 12 hours every night and my wife works almost 12 hours during the day. Between all the chores and kids there's not much time left for cooking. So we are quickly getting in the habit of take-aways every night. Not very healthy the hips or the wallet.

Guess I'm going to spend my Friday night watching air fryer reviews. What has become of my life?

Can't beat a microwave to shorten cooking time - but you won't get the crispiness!
And when you or your wife have a day/night off, cook up some meals that can be frozen. Then just reheat in microwave. I do that a lot.

Something else you might want to consider, is a slow-cooker. This is my favourite piece of kitchen equipment! It's great for making soup and bredies etc. and the beauty of it is that you can switch it on Low in the morning/night and when you get home your meal is ready and waiting for you. It won't burn or dry out and there is no need to check on it while it's cooking - in fact, you shouldn't. Once it starts don't take the lid off. I absolutely swear by mine!!!

For example, in winter I make a big pot of soup in the slow-cooker, then freeze it in individual containers. The day before I'm going to eat it I let it defrost, then just pop in the microwave to reheat.

My mates asked , how was your day " I told them I found fame and fortune on a vape forum, talking about air fryers" :facepalm:

Sometimes I'll tell my brother about something that I read on the forum e.g. air-fryers, COVID. "What's that got to do with vaping?" he asks, with surprise.

You guys do realise that air fryers are just convection ovens with a fancy dress on? Get yourself a nice little convection oven with more space at a lot cheaper… not a bad trade-off for an approximate increase of 10% cooking time (due to the bigger cavity).

That's a jolly good suggestion @CJB85! I still prefer an ordinary (stove) oven. Washing up is easy as I've used an oven tray. But I do worry about how much electricity it's using. A smaller convection oven would solve that problem!

Can't beat a microwave to shorten cooking time - but you won't get the crispiness!
And when you or your wife have a day/night off, cook up some meals that can be frozen. Then just reheat in microwave. I do that a lot.

Something else you might want to consider, is a slow-cooker. This is my favourite piece of kitchen equipment! It's great for making soup and bredies etc. and the beauty of it is that you can switch it on Low in the morning/night and when you get home your meal is ready and waiting for you. It won't burn or dry out and there is no need to check on it while it's cooking - in fact, you shouldn't. Once it starts don't take the lid off. I absolutely swear by mine!!!

For example, in winter I make a big pot of soup in the slow-cooker, then freeze it in individual containers. The day before I'm going to eat it I let it defrost, then just pop in the microwave to reheat.

All great ideas. But there's one thing with my family. They are full of kak when it comes to food. Wife only has Butternut soup (that is great in a pressure cooker), boy doesn't eat any chicken or any meat with fat, stew or bredies are a no go. Heated frozen foods also gets eaten with a very long tooth. Only my daughter is daddy's girl. She will eat anything.

But my mind is set on this. If anything, I'll have an appliance to make some quick veggies for the braai as @Stranger mentioned. And maybe next year I'll join the crossfit team in the park or something.

So after spending some research time I'm feeling like a Philips sales rep.

This one seems to tick most of the important boxes and not too bad for a beginner model.
I have that one. I love it.

we eat a lot of chicken and potatoes and veg and this is just a winner. Best money I’ve spent this year.

I have that one. I love it.

we eat a lot of chicken and potatoes and veg and this is just a winner. Best money I’ve spent this year.

Thats good to hear. Did you get the baking accessory for it? Or any accessory that works with it?

Thats good to hear. Did you get the baking accessory for it? Or any accessory that works with it?
I didn’t but I want to get the baking accessories but I’ve made rolls and bread in it without any accessories and they came out pretty well I must admit.

meat and roasts are an absolute winner though.

tiny bit of oil rubbed on a chicken and some spices and plop it in and an hour later it’s done. No basting or fussing. Win.

Back