Rob Fisher

ECIGSSA Admin
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
FINES MASTER
LV

Awards
I have been toying with the idea of investing in an Ultra Sonic cleaner to not only help the steeping process but to clean Mods and Tanks etc... so I did a bit of Googling on YouTube and it seems you actually submerge the stuff you want to clean into water and add cleaning additives?

So this is no good for Electronic Mods then. So for mechanical and tanks only?

yes, it works with water. the thing i read last night, they guy telling how it cleaned coils, he just used water, not the jewellery cleaning stuff. i think it's not worth it for either purpose on it's own but if it cleans coils so well, and the agitation - ultrafast agitation at the molecular level [?] - or at small particle level - is good for reducing the steeping time, it's worth R350. But not worth R1000+ for bigger better more powerful.

Here is an interesting article on using ultrasonic cleaners to clean/salvage electronic equipment.

http://www.icsmag.com/articles/ultrasonic-cleaning-and-electronics-myth-vs-reality

Basically, yes you can use ultrasound to clean electronics, but don't have it plugged in. Also, you have to be sure it's dry before plugging it in again.

Also heard about this stuff http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008KOYVF8?pc_redir=1402812458&robot_redir=1 Clears out any water damage, if it should occur.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Best solution to use in u/s cleaner: 70% distilled water and 30% isopropyle alcohol (both available from pharmacy).

Tapatalk

I have no regrets with my one.

It does aid steeping, but it cleans things brilliantly.

The dirt (you can't see) on a mod literally fizzes out, in just pure water.

It's actually pretty grim how much grime gets on to kit.

Also used USC for cleaning reading and sunglasses, atomisers, UV filters for my camera lens, keys and knives.

if you are so inclined, you can also make some fancy vitamin C on the cheap using a USC. Basically increases the bioavailability of the vitamin C up to 80% or something

where does one get an affordable ultrasonic cleaner from?

Gerry optics in Jhb has them. @Rowan Francis and myself got ours from there.

Maybe not the cheapest, but seems to be best trade off between quality and capability.

There are some downright nasty ones on bid or buy

Agreed Dev. Gerry's has new stock arriving in a week but I am still happy with my 2.5 l version

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Gerry optics in Jhb has them. @Rowan Francis and myself got ours from there.

Maybe not the cheapest, but seems to be best trade off between quality and capability.

There are some downright nasty ones on bid or buy
If you don't mind me asking, which one did you get? the one with the heating capability or the other one? What was the price you guys paid? Their site does not have prices on the items.

Don't need heat facility as the u/s transducers automatically heats up the water during energy transfer.

Tapatalk

Don't need heat facility as the u/s transducers automatically heats up the water during energy transfer.

Tapatalk
Not looking for something state of the art, just an affordable device that will get the job done properly without breaking the bank

Some of them do look cheap - on bidorbuy - although good enough for my purpose as long as it doesn't conk too soon. But my biggest concern is how sketchy the information is there. i wanted to ask how deep the pan is, can't see whether they're deep enough for juice bottles, but i didn't because i don't want to give bidorbuy my phone number.

Mine went for about R1300 I think.

A bit steep, but it holds 2.5l of water and you could just about lay down a 2L coke bottle in there

Thanks guys... not sure I'll stick my Sigelei 20W's into it but I know my REO's (not the Woodvil's) would like an ultrasonic bath as would all my commercial tanks and old coils... I got a quote from www.goptics.co.za for a Medop CD 4820 Ultrasonic Cleaner for just under two grand excluding shipping.

Rob. That sounds like the biz. Need to check... Later
So who won the down down?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
@Tornalca if my spelling and memory serves me correctly
Thanks guys... not sure I'll stick my Sigelei 20W's into it but I know my REO's (not the Woodvil's) would like an ultrasonic bath as would all my commercial tanks and old coils... I got a quote from www.goptics.co.za for a Medop CD 4820 Ultrasonic Cleaner for just under two grand excluding shipping.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

The most common ones on ebay - and others are smaller, they're all for jewellery and dental stuff - the tank is 40mm depth and and 30ml juice bottle needs 80mm, so that's a deal breaker for me. if they vibrate water into small crevices...are these bottles sealed well enough? i suppose only one way to find out...

30W/50W R333-R340 variously, there are so many people selling them. 40mm tank depth.

19963-2.jpg

R742, can't really see how big it is, how deep is the tank.

$_12.JPG

PS: These cheapos aren't going to work for cleaning coils. Steeping only.

The ultrasonic cleaners has had mixed reviews for years. I tried to prove they work but not many had good experianced like me. They problem is the crud on the coil. Some cleaners are weak and won't break that crud lose. Some of the better ones have stronger and finer vibrations. Those have a better chance of loosening the crud. The crud is ejuice that has been burnt into a layer of crust over the coil. Even a great ultrasonic cleaner won't clean a coil as fast as a dry burn. If you search the forum we have a thread as old as the days with this very same topic and the same responses. Some say it works and some say it doesn't. The fact is that it's not efficient compared to a dry burn. As for the other parts of the ecig like the cone itself a run under run in hot water will clean it in seconds.??

Last edited:
Ok, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Plastic bottles are fine, the lids dont come off, but the issue is plastic prevents energy transfer. You want glass bottles (PS I can supply mini glass bottles, bought 300 as MOQ from Consol, let me know if you want)

See this thread for full run down on using a USC for steeping. Warning: THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF PAGES

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...eeping-times-ultrasonic-cleaner-part-iii.html

A dry burn then ultrasonic bath should give the coil a better clean than just dry burning. The question can the cheaper ultrasonic cleaners do a good job of cleaning mechs?

Sent from deep within a vape cloud

They would definitely clean the surfaces and the crevices but apparently not baked on gunk. They're saying vodka. But "the jury is out". This thread has many people saying yes. And cheapos. And you can leave the lid off, just need some way to keep the bottles standing up.

Coincidentally, isopropyl alcohol mentioned there, people talking about it like it's the same as surgical spirits.
Saying no to isopropyl alcohol - because the American stuff has methanol/etc added to stop people drinking it - like methylated spirits here. i have a few bottles of rubbing alcohol that i was put off using on clearo wicks because of that. Dischem. No ingredient list. So i assume the worst. Apparently surgical spirits may be isopropyl, may be ethanol but often includes methanol. i thought i'd bought isopropyl alcohol at a pharmacy years ago, but maybe they just told me surgical spirits is the same thing.

@devdev, yes, i have that tab open too, but i'm out of time. (ohhh, the learning curve!)
You got little bottles? 30ml? brown? blue? :)

They have waterproof screw on lids:

Hold at least 30mls, possibly up to 40 or so

2014-06-16 20.08.34.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back