Ultrofite 18650 4200mAh batteries

John

Blerrie Mech Addict
LV

Awards
Hi everyone,

in anticipation of my soon-to-arrive (I hope) Sub-ohm tank and battery I've been doing some research into the gear, building coils and so forth and am now reading up on batteries, safe current draw limits etc. I have a few of these Ultrofite brand 4200mAh batteries lying around which I use in my 5W LED torch. They seem to last quite long in the torch (it takes two of them) and the torch is like a bloomin searchlight when the batteries are fresh of a charge...so I got to wondering how safe they'd be to use in say, a DNA30 or some other sub-ohm box mod with a .5ohm coil

This is my first venture out into the world of rebuilding and so forth and so please forgive me if my questions seem elementary. Its an exciting part of my vaping journey - I love tinkering and making things so this really appeals to that side of me.

Hoping to get some advice or information from the experienced Mech Warriors. Has anyone ever come across/used these batteries or would advise against their use? I know for one that the 4200mAh rating may be bogus - these things are from china and the well-known marketplace dx.com lists a similar 5800mAh model with a "specified rating" and an "actual rating" of 650mAh which is already dodgy straight off the bat. There is another, more reputable manufacturer called Ultrafire of which I suspect these UltroFites are knockoffs.

John

well it depends on the Amp ratting they give. does the label give you amp ratting?

Not a good idea @John

The higher the capacity of the battery (mah) the lower the amp draw. 4200mah for an 18650 already seems unbelievably high, I call BS on that rating. Personally I wouldn't trust them for vaping, not even on a 1.5 ohm clearomiser.

The efest 18650 3100mah is right on the edge of the safety limit with a 0.5 ohm build and might be better suited to 0.8 and up, I'd rather be looking at the purple efest 2500 or the blue samsung 25R starting to become more readily available.

fully agree @BumbleBee, the other thing is I don't personally know that brand and wont easily trust what it says on the label.

Yeah battery companies are infamous for overstating their mAh rating (especially the re-wrappers) , because it is not like the average consumer will be able to verify it.

There are some battery chargers that can charge & discharge your battery and tell you the mAh rating afterwards, but it is not common for people to own high end chargers like that

I have the same torch, those are fake ultrafires, which aren't great original.as stated above. .DONT VAPE ON THEM!

They sell those batteries at fleamarkets. The ultrafite is the ultrafire ripoff. I would strongly recommend not using them. I had an ultrafire in my first SVD. Got rid of it as soon as I upgraded.

well it depends on the Amp ratting they give. does the label give you amp ratting?
Surprisingly there is NO amp rating, (I'm not entirely surprised though.) Thanks to all that replied, you've confirmed my suspicions, I guess these batteries will remain in my torch where they belong.

Thanks also to those that recommended the Samsung battery, from the reviews they seem like great little powerhouses. I'll be getting a few of those :)

Last edited:
Ultrafire are not suitable for any kind of vaping... They're the batteries that people lose limbs to and burn their houses down. they are seriously bad mojo

What's scary is that in the torch, they are literally strapped to the back of your head.had mine a week and intend to upgrade batteries asap.doesnt like flat tops or I would run my spare efests
a085e46c204c734199644b594fb73c1c.jpg

bf785ec003fea820b15159da9a2d6946.jpg
I have one of these, so if they exploded I'd likely lose a finger instead of brain damage haha

lol, in a torch i think they're fine... but running a heating coil, puts a lot more stress on the battery.

LED torches hardly ever utilize more than 5W LED's, haven't seen any available with higher powered LED's yet, thus I assume those batteries are good for anything less than say 10W.

For what its worth I have never seen a 4200 mAh 18650 from a reputable supplier, but as @johan says the power draw on LED torches is low. Best is to use protected cells in them as they may be required for long periods.

This reminds though I do have a 10W LED and focusing lens lying around here somewhere .. maybe that can be my holiday project! :devil:

For what its worth I have never seen a 4200 mAh 18650 from a reputable supplier, but as @johan says the power draw on LED torches is low. Best is to use protected cells in them as they may be required for long periods.

This reminds though I do have a 10W LED and focusing lens lying around here somewhere .. maybe that can be my holiday project! :devil:

Yip, Ive worked with 100W cob LED's in the past, but never seen bigger than 5W in a torch utilizing size 18650 batteries.

Went to a Chinese market the other day, and saw these in a box - about half of them were Ultrafire and the rest Ultrofite.. I know all of our stuff basically come from China, but at least with the re-wrapped batteries (Efest, etc) we have some hope of QC.. When the Chinese start ripping off their own products - I run the other way! :)

I guess. but MNKE's which are unashamedly as Chinese, as Chinese can be, are among the best batteries you can get. Specially the 26650 ones.

I guess. but MNKE's which are unashamedly as Chinese, as Chinese can be, are among the best batteries you can get. Specially the 26650 ones.
All of my kit is Chinese - that is not the problem - my problem is the UltroFite is a misspelled ripoff of UtraFire.. :eek:

Back