Vape tax from 1 June 2023 !

That's the interpretation that all people in the trade have been giving me and I noticed that nicotine prices haven't changed post 1st June

@Grand Guru do you have any documentation stating this? Just curious as all the reading material out there regarding this tax is either vague or speculative.
This is a snippet from the official SARS letter that was sent out:
1686147829155.png

A open meeting was then held with SARS to get clarity and in there they confirmed it is only on manufactured juices. So for now, DIY is safe.

I did an online spot-check of about 10 vape shops to see if they put their prices up on 1 June. No-one should have, since everyone would have stocked up before 1 June.

I'm glad to say that the prices hadn't changed from 30 & 31 May to 4 June, when I checked again.

The tax in my opinion is the least of our worries ... Has anyone bothered to read and absorb the TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND ELECTRONIC DELIVERY SYSTEMS CONTROL BILL, (attached below);

Attachments

• B33_2022_Tobacco_Products_and_Electronic_Delivery_Systems_Control_Bill.pdf
    81.6 KB · Views: 24
The tax in my opinion is the least of our worries ... Has anyone bothered to read and absorb the TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND ELECTRONIC DELIVERY SYSTEMS CONTROL BILL, (attached below);
Not read it all, but the parts I have is scary. But the question remains, how they going to enforce it all?

Not read it all, but the parts I have is scary. But the question remains, how they going to enforce it all?

Do they need to try? ... We South Africans demonstrated during Covid that we've devolved into a complacent, compliant Sheople nation. Certainly the lack of input into the various initiatives to provide testimony or even a signature to the vaping petitions substantiates my erm "outburst", or ... Was it the fear of another draconian Marikana stance that broke our spirit? :rolleyes:

The document nonetheless excludes any thought that either Big Tobacco and or Pharma are behind the move in my opinion ... So who is? and; What do they stand to gain?:think:

They just government gazette it and make it law.
Taken from page 10 of the doc.

Standards for manufacturing, processing and importing of relevant product and
related product

8. (1) The Minister may make regulations regarding the standards for the manufac-
turing, testing, measuring and processing of the relevant products and the related
products, including the—
(a)
component;
(b)
design features;
(c)
contents and emissions;
(d)
ingredients, additives, colourants and characterised flavourings;
(e)
reduced ignition propensity; and
(f)
the type, shape and size.
(2) No person shall manufacture and process for sale or import a relevant product or
a related product unless it complies with such standards as may be prescribed and has
been tested in the prescribed manner, using the prescribed methods.

Do they need to try? ... We South Africans demonstrated during Covid that we've devolved into a complacent, compliant Sheople nation. Certainly the lack of input into the various initiatives to provide testimony or even a signature to the vaping petitions substantiates my erm "outburst", or ... Was it the fear of another draconian Marikana stance that broke our spirit? :rolleyes:

The document nonetheless excludes any thought that either Big Tobacco and or Pharma are behind the move in my opinion ... So who is? and; What do they stand to gain?:think:
I can only surmise that illegal cigs will benefit, they will have none of the hoops that the vape and tobacco industry will have to jump through.

I did an online spot-check of about 10 vape shops to see if they put their prices up on 1 June. No-one should have, since everyone would have stocked up before 1 June.

I'm glad to say that the prices hadn't changed from 30 & 31 May to 4 June, when I checked again.

Voodoo1.jpg

Unfortunately I came across a store who increased their prices almost immediately - I checked their prices on Monday 05 June 2024 so they could have increased prices before then.
Other stores are still using their pre 1st June prices.
Rather disappointed with @Zeki Hilmi since Miss Daisy WAS my favourite juice - will never pay R640 for 100ml juice
DIY ONLY from now on.

If this thing passes more or less as is, I'll personally start a side hustle blackmarket business with a darkweb store.

Last edited:
So are we in business or not?
I sure as heck hope not. Did you check the bill out?
TLDR: Tobacco = vape = non-nic vape, no advertising, strict plain packaging, no import or sales of products without compliant packaging (so no import at all unless overseas manufacturers comply with RSA packaging), postal AND COURIER services not allowed, no online sales, no display allowed, no sponsorships, no smoking or vaping (including non-nic) allowed anywhere where there is a non-smoker,......etc...

TLDR: Tobacco = vape = non-nic vape, no advertising, strict plain packaging, no import or sales of products without compliant packaging (so no import at all unless overseas manufacturers comply with RSA packaging), postal AND COURIER services not allowed, no online sales, no display allowed, no sponsorships, no smoking or vaping (including non-nic) allowed anywhere where there is a non-smoker,......etc...
I just read the whole thing and this was my favourite part by far:

IMG_6543.jpeg

Also the minister of health can pretty much do whatever he wants if that bill gets passed. Absolute and total power!

IMG_6544.jpeg

Well, they are definately wrong about that. Drastically reducing smoking will decrease the sin tax the state receives.
Nothing reduces smoking except us vaping guys and gals and that’s what they want to squash!

So to do a few sums

Gold nic 100ml/100mg is 200 bucks. I only need 3ml of that for a 100 ml mix so 5.85
Plus lets say 22 mls of Red pill one shot 58.66
then lets say 8 ml of PG 2.80
and 67 of VG to make a 70/30 mix 19.76

R 87.07

If that nic gets increased to 490, then I jump to 14.7

R8.85 difference

R95.92

View attachment 274120

Unfortunately I came across a store who increased their prices almost immediately - I checked their prices on Monday 05 June 2024 so they could have increased prices before then.
Other stores are still using their pre 1st June prices.
Rather disappointed with @Zeki Hilmi since Miss Daisy WAS my favourite juice - will never pay R640 for 100ml juice
DIY ONLY from now on.

Unfortunately I don't keep stock and it comes straight from the distro. So I have to put the prices as from the 1st June. However, you can grab stock from one of the stores that did bulk buys before the 1st of June.

Back