Vape tax from 1 June 2023 !

On the proposed new legislation.

Putting this in perspective once this has been implemented

The Vape Shop
1. All products will have to be hidden away with nothing on display..
Only a printed list can be stuck up detailing what items are in stock.
2. The vape shop sales guy cannot recommend/assist or guide any customer what's so ever on vaping.
So basically the customer has to walk in and ask for a specific product and not any recommendations.
In essence you will find a bland empty unbranded shop with a guy literally sitting behind an empty display counter.
3. The vape shop cannot have any form of marketing, advertising or website. So zero marketing anywhere on the internet or in print.
4. No online sales or retail in any form
5. No shipping or couriering of products.
6. No vaping in the shop or sampling

So in summary a vape shop will rely 100% on walk in business only.
How do they run their business with regards to:
1. What stock do they order and keep instore given they pay for it upfront.
2. What is their revenue stream going to be given its only walk in business
3. How does their profitability work given this narrative with regards to shop rent, staff salaries etc..versus their revenue stream.

As for the consumer
1. You will no longer be able to order items online
2. No courier of items
3. You will have to drive to a vape shop
4. Once in shop you cannot be assisted and have to ask for a specific product

So in summary you will need to know where a vape shop is as they cannot advertise then drive there. So for guys living in towns and cities that have no vape shops how do you get your items.

With regards to DIY
1. Where will you get your NIC. Bearing in mind there will be no online retail or sales and no courier of nic.
2. Where will you get your flavours.
Lets be real here there is only a handful of retailers selling flavours.
If you are in Bloemfontein are you gonna drive all the way to JHB for a few bottles of flavours.
Bearing in mind that these retailers of the flavors might not survive under the new restrictions. Right now everybody is saying, it's easy I'll DIY..is it really gonna be that easy..

So that is the reality of the bill.

Just further to that.. this bill has been in the making for 4 years plus and has been fought every inch of the way by the industry, at all levels, and still the goverment is stubbornly pushing forward. Look at the tax legislation as to the government's stance on the vape industry. They don't give a dam.
This is only part of the legislation there is still the whole issue around packaging and labeling.

The key here now regarding timelines on when this bill will be implemented is this simple fact...

Right now the government sits with a dilemma. They have now done something that has never been done before in this country.
They have put taxation on an industry that has not been legislated.
So now they are on the back foot to get this bill implemented so it will be coming, the only question now is when.
9917ccc01880c46aa6ab203ac494bbc3.jpg

Last edited:

The Vape Shop
2. The vape shop sales guy cannot recommend/assist or guide any customer what's so ever on vaping.
So basically the customer has to walk in and ask for a specific product and not any recommendations.
In essence you will find a bland empty unbranded shop with a guy literally sitting behind an empty display counter.
3. The vape shop cannot have any form of marketing, advertising or website. So zero marketing anywhere on the internet or in print.

3. How does their profitability work given this narrative with regards to shop rent, staff salaries etc..versus their revenue stream.

As for the consumer
2. No courier of items

So in summary you will need to know where a vape shop is as they cannot advertise then drive there.

With regards to DIY
1. Where will you get your NIC. Bearing in mind there will be no online retail or sales and no courier of nic.
If you are in Bloemfontein are you gonna drive all the way to JHB for a few bottles of flavours.
Bearing in mind that these retailers of the flavors might not survive under the new restrictions. Right now everybody is saying, it's easy I'll DIY..is it really gonna be that easy..

Just further to that.. this bill has been in the making for 4 years plus and has been fought every inch of the way by the industry, at all levels, and still the goverment is stubbornly pushing forward. Look at the tax legislation as to the government's stance on the vape industry. They don't give a dam.
This is only part of the legislation there is still the whole issue around packaging and labeling.

The key here now regarding timelines on when this bill will be implemented is this simple fact...

Right now the government sits with a dilemma. They have now done something that has never been done before in this country.
So now they are on the back foot to get this bill implemented so it will be coming, the only question now is when.
Thank goodness they're focusing on vaping and trying to lock us all up for vaping when there are murders, rapists and thugs getting away with all sorts of heinous crimes daily but they doing this to us. I would love to be a fly on the wall at one of their meetings to hear them justifying this bullcr@p to each other and patting themselves on the back for doing such a good job!

Thank goodness they're focusing on vaping and trying to lock us all up for vaping when there are murders, rapists and thugs getting away with all sorts of heinous crimes daily but they doing this to us. I would love to be a fly on the wall at one of their meetings to hear them justifying this bullcr@p to each other and patting themselves on the back for doing such a good job!
The irony of this whole thing is that they claim to want to keep nicotine out of the hands of the youth.

The Taxation does exactly the opposite. It makes disposables and illegal cigarettes the quickest, easiest and affordable way forward.

The legislation will do exactly the same..it will have people selling cheap Chinese disposables out of their car boots near schools and public places. If anything COVID restrictions showed us how quickly an illegal industry can sprout and grow

Sent from my CPH2357 using Tapatalk

The irony of this whole thing is that they claim to want to keep nicotine out of the hands of the youth.

The Taxation does exactly the opposite. It makes disposables and illegal cigarettes the quickest, easiest and affordable way forward.

The legislation will do exactly the same..it will have people selling cheap Chinese disposables out of their car boots near schools and public places. If anything COVID restrictions showed us how quickly an illegal industry can sprout and grow

100% agree. The "sense" behind this is crazy. Yes tax the industry, thats fine but also within reason as Im sure we all agree the flat rate of R2.90/ml is ludicrous. But to install all these totalitarian measures just to squash an industry and put hundreds if not thousands of people out of work is backwards to say the least. The knock on effect of this will be huge. Its very sad.

The blackmarket is going to be so dangerous with juice made goodness knows where and sold as you say directly to kids!

100% agree. The "sense" behind this is crazy. Yes tax the industry, thats fine but also within reason as Im sure we all agree the flat rate of R2.90/ml is ludicrous. But to install all these totalitarian measures just to squash an industry and put hundreds if not thousands of people out of work is backwards to say the least. The knock on effect of this will be huge. Its very sad.

The blackmarket is going to be so dangerous with juice made goodness knows where and sold as you say directly to kids!
It's just sad because when taxation and legislation are both implemented I think the entire existing legitimate vape industry will literally be wiped out. The only stuff you will get will be disposable nic salt devices, mostly on the black market.

I cannot see from a business perspective how a vape shop will survive.
What stock do they order, bearing in mind they cannot advertise and market it.
How do you balance cash flow against buying stock and the associated costs around selling that stock, in premises where you cannot display or market said stock, and your only revenue stream will be walk in clients.

Last edited:
It's just sad because when taxation and legislation are both implemented I think the entire existing legitimate vape industry will literally be wiped out. The only stuff you will get will be disposable nic salt devices, mostly on the black market.

I cannot see from a business perspective how a vape shop will survive.
What stock do they order, bearing in mind they cannot advertise and market it.
How do you balance cash flow against buying stock and the associated costs around selling that stock, in premises where you cannot display or market said stock, and your only revenue stream will be walk in clients.
the no courier thing is going to kill it almost overnight. My local vape shop in Durban is always pretty empty when i go in there but the courier bags are lined up by the dozen every day.

the no courier thing is going to kill it almost overnight. My local vape shop in Durban is always pretty empty when i go in there but the courier bags are lined up by the dozen every day.
You meant the whole online retail situation, of which the courier is the last element.
No websites, no advertising, no marketing and no shipping

Last edited:

The Vape Shop

As for the consumer
2. No courier of items

So in summary you will need to know where a vape shop is as they cannot advertise then drive there. So for guys living in towns and cities that have no vape shops how do you get your items.

With regards to DIY

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully we can start opposing this thing the right or wrong way soon when someone leads/shows us the way.

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully we can start opposing this thing the right or wrong way soon when someone leads/shows us the way.
It's past that stage now it's been opposed and fought for 4 years now by industry players like VPSA and VSML.

Last edited:
It's past that stage now it's been opposed and fought for 4 years now by industry players like VPSA and VSML.

and the public has had the oppoortunity to have their say as well, for the little that it's worth.

Guess what can happen if Vapers block the roads and burn some tires ;)

Please fill and sign and pass as far and wide as you can. Let's not let this happen like we did the vape tax:

Please fill and sign and pass as far and wide as you can. Let's not let this happen like we did the vape tax:

Done... 85 submissions so far... come people, there are more than 85 vapers on this forum that will be impacted by this bill.

88 now, including mine

Agreed! ... and reminding those who fail to sign and pass on, for whatever reasons you chose to justify your inability to stand for what you believe in, that you lose the right to complain forthwith should this bull#### go ahead.

My submission included the following;
How is it that our government, made up of unqualified, inexperienced and generally incompetent people, continues to pass ridiculous laws such as this?
For the love of God … Could you as a government please rather focus on fixing the many screw ups you have made instead of making more of a mess of our country! The provision of a safe environment that fosters investment should be your priority, followed by maintaining infrastructure that has been allowed to decay without maintenance under your watch, namely our sewage, water supply power, road infrastructure to name but some … and there are the failed SOE's, such as Eskom, SAA, and The Post Office to name but three, and then there's your history of silly laws that have cost this country dearly, such as your Covid-19 laws, which you are now trying to replicate in a sense … The definition of an idiot is someone who continues doing the same thing, expecting a different result, so it's safe to call our government Idiots, as you continue to pass laws under the egotistical pretext of being right, without any modicum of research to back the calls. Stop this nonsence now before it becomes yet another failed ANC initiative. What was proven during Covid-19 Lockdowns with the smoking and alcohol bans, is that people continued on unabated, you simply facilitated a black market trade, which hurt the poorest AND the government by virtue of the diminishing taxation.
I managed with the help of vaping to quit a 50 year old habit of 40 cigarettes a day, I won't apologise for your lack of revenue now that I have managed to beat the habit / addiction. I may add that I unsuccessfully tried various prescription tablets, nicotine patches, nicotine throat spray, nicotine gum, and even hypnosis and acupuncture ... I do agree that stricter controls are required for minors, however prohibition, taxation, and labelling vaping as smoking is not the answer.

Sadly so it begins
They had 16 shops
1fa3e4f182a7dfab82bfd0d7fbde84be.jpg

Last edited:
Sadly so it begins
They had 16 shops
1fa3e4f182a7dfab82bfd0d7fbde84be.jpg

I bought my first vape as an impulse buy from them about 6 years ago. Last week I saw the stock was very thin. I assumed they were getting ready to close shop.

DONE

Back