Vape tax from 1 June 2023 !

That was the proposal. The final amendment was different.
I do understand that, normally whatever was initially proposed will end up on that corrupt bill eventually.
Just my thoughts, I was proven right before so let's hope this time I'm wrong.

Meanwhile in the UK

I DIY, so I'll just stock up on a shitload of nicotine. F*** them.

Meanwhile in the UK

Very good, but I don't agree with pregnant women being given an incentive. They should rather be given an incentive to stop smoking without switching to vaping.

I DIY, so I'll just stock up on a shitload of nicotine. F*** them.
Have you calculated how much nicotine you would need?

Take myself for example, I vape about (rounding up and adding a small bit for stressed times) 150ml per week. 150ml @ 3mg is 4.5ml nic per week. 52 weeks per year makes it 234ml. Not too bad. Now let's say I have another 30 years ahead of me (not that nicotine would last that long but that's a different argument) that would then be 7 Litres. On quick glance cheapest I could find per 500ml is Flavourworld who offers their CBE nic, 100ml 500ml, at R750. R750 x 7 is R5250. That's quite an investment amount on very short notice. Alas, I will not keep nicotine for longer two years at absolute maximum (so one bottle should technically be fine) and even then I'd store it in my freezer, so eventually I will have to pay this new exorbitant tax of theirs.

With that tax, that little 500ml bottle will now cost R2200....

I see your reasoning,but nowhere doesn't it say any different. In a country where corruption is the order of the day... Nicotine content is still nicotine content doesn't matter the container.
"View attachment 271825
Check the proposal... It says" nicotine and non nicotine solutions"
So Im all for giving them the benefit of the doubt, but all that been happening eversince I can remember is when the doubt becomes real, there is no benefit.
Remember nicotine is also still part of the import /export trade.
I might be wrong in everything I said so if I am I'm apologizing now already.

It's very true what is being said here, there is no mention of nicotine itself being taxed, but knowing SARS this may likely be the case. Also, if one references the letter from SARS to manufacturers, it does not mention nicotine on its own:

1681453328090.png

Alas, the whole thing is so ambiguous with varied loopholes, etc. Let's hope the people who are busy fighting this has some form of resolve before the deadline.

Reached out to some contacts and got this back already:

"Hi
Thanks for reaching out to us

As it stands, DIY seems to be unaffected. Meaning that, yes, you are correct. Nicotine on its own cannot be vaped so it is not a vaping product.

However, we are currently monitoring the situation and reviewing the information available in order to determine the full effect of the tax."

"Hi

As it stands, DIY seems to be unaffected. Meaning that, yes, you are correct. Nicotine on its own cannot be vaped so it is not a vaping product.

However, we are currently monitoring the situation and reviewing the information available in order to determine the full effect of the tax."

If thats how they will argue what can be taxed and what not, I guess next they will want tax for just VG, that can be vaped by itself :-D

If thats how they will argue what can be taxed and what not, I guess next they will want tax for just VG, that can be vaped by itself :-D
Vaping makes up less than 1% of total VG use in South Africa. I know this as Geoff from Clyrolinx used to import VG for a company before he went on his own and the amounts he brought in was staggering. So the chances of them taxing that, at that rate, is not something I am lying awake over at the moment.

Vaping makes up less than 1% of total VG use in South Africa. I know this as Geoff from Clyrolinx used to import VG for a company before he went on his own and the amounts he brought in was staggering. So the chances of them taxing that, at that rate, is not something I am lying awake over at the moment.

Ye for sure, it was just sarcasm, with these incompetent people running the country you never know what scheme they will come up with next.

Will this affect CBD products at all?
No idea to be honest. I do not think it falls into the realm though because they very specifically state "nicotine and nicotine substitute".

No idea to be honest. I do not think it falls into the realm though because they very specifically state "nicotine and nicotine substitute".
Might be another loophole. Can always do what they did in lockdown. Add a insignificant amount of CBD and say it's for "medical purposes". Sell a 10 ml bottle of nic on the side to mix in. Can save a rand maybe.

Might be another loophole. Can always do what they did in lockdown. Add a insignificant amount of CBD and say it's for "medical purposes". Sell a 10 ml bottle of nic on the side to mix in. Can save a rand maybe.
If it is in vape juice it will fall under this act for sure.

My worry is misreading this act will cause unnecessary pain, nic suppliers have to be very careful not to exacerbate this problem for vapers and close avenues for possible solutions. Please remember the vaping community and you are interdependent. We are in this together, let's stick together.

There's the spirit and the letter of the law. In this case the spirit screams greed and corruption, so I focus on the letter of the law.

The sad thing is these clowns will find that instead of increasing their revenue it will decrease it by a lot. Nobody is going to pay R600 for a 100ml of juice. Your revenue can only increase if people are buying.

I've read quite a lot of the discussion and motivation about this. The crude calculation of the R2.9/ml is laughable to say the least but it is what it is.

Last edited:
If it's nicotine that they want to tax, then a 60ml bottle of vape juice with 3mg nic would increase by R8.70 only (3 x R2.90).
That's reasonable.

If they tax the entire bottle, it means that they're taxing VG, PG and flavour concentrates.

"Hi

I thought as much. Wondered when that part would come out of hiding.
For now there are multiple uses for nicotine. Let's just hope the current situation remains as is for now.
... Still before this gets out of hand we need to do something as a vaping comunity and as a forum.

If they're going to charge tax on liquid produced for vaping, including 0mg, I wouldn't be surprised if CBD and THC is also taxed, as it is also liquid produced for vaping, regardless of nicotine.

Have you calculated how much nicotine you would need?

Take myself for example, I vape about (rounding up and adding a small bit for stressed times) 150ml per week. 150ml @ 3mg is 4.5ml nic per week. 52 weeks per year makes it 234ml. Not too bad. Now let's say I have another 30 years ahead of me (not that nicotine would last that long but that's a different argument) that would then be 7 Litres. On quick glance cheapest I could find per 500ml is Flavourworld who offers their CBE nic, 100ml 500ml, at R750. R750 x 7 is R5250. That's quite an investment amount on very short notice. Alas, I will not keep nicotine for longer two years at absolute maximum (so one bottle should technically be fine) and even then I'd store it in my freezer, so eventually I will have to pay this new exorbitant tax of theirs.

With that tax, that little 500ml bottle will now cost R2200....
I don't care. I'll take out a loan just to buy nicotine and will stock up. Again, f... them....lol

Vaping is adults only.
What are the forum rules? Can I vent here and direct crude language at the honourable persons behind this tax business?

Vaping is adults only.
What are the forum rules? Can I vent here and direct crude language at the honourable persons behind this tax business?
Crude language out and about on the forum is frowned upon no matter how deserved it is but I promise you I share your sentiments about the honourable persons!!

Crude language out and about on the forum is frowned upon no matter how deserved it is but I promise you I share your sentiments about the honourable persons!!

There are emojis for that though :)
:cursing2::swear:

How exactly do SARS propose to implement this tax, when all the components of eliquid are used for purposes other than eliquid, and;
At what point in the manufacture chain, does juice as we know it, become; "a nicotine or nicotine substitute for a vaping product", as SARS refer to it?

The answer to our woes I believe lies in definition, and we may well find that by re-labelling eliquid and related products, (citing their use(s) as other than vaping), resolves the issue(s) ... We all know after all that flavour concentrates are used primarily in the food and beverage industry, and both PG and VG are used in the food and beverage as well as cosmetic, and automotive industries ... As to nicotine, well ... it's uses are primarily in the pharmaceutical industry, with limited useage in both agriculture and pest control.

I can live with buying four additional products from the local grocer every month ... Koos se' Geheime Plaagbeheer, (aka Nicotine), along with Ouma's Snoepgoedere - Geheime Konsentraat no.65536, (aka a one shot of sorts), along with Vegetable Glycerine and Propylene Glycol. ;)

How exactly do SARS propose to implement this tax, when all the components of eliquid are used for purposes other than eliquid, and;
At what point in the manufacture chain, does juice as we know it, become; "a nicotine or nicotine substitute for a vaping product", as SARS refer to it?
This is why vape eliquid manufacturers have to apply for a license. And the tax will be applied to any sales they make. So the components up to that point are not taxed but once it becomes part of a manufactured product, a eliquid for vaping, then it will carry the new tax. Just like eggs, flour, oil, etc. are not taxed but as soon as you bake a cake from it, then it would carry a sugar tax.

Back