VapeCon 2018 - DIY E-Liquid Competition!

I would prefer you don't. A good recipe will tell the vaper it's profile without using visual stimulation or guidance or worse having me open a box of my favourite childhood biscuits in the middle of the aisle to see if I either forgot the taste or perhaps they changed the profile.

I hear you, but I thought about this also, there is a couple of problems here. So if I read the competitions rules they ask us to provide a cool name. So in my mind the only reason to do this would be to provide that on the table next to the juice. Contestants will be placing information about their profile into their names. So you already have a concern here.

The other things - to give out zero information does not really simulate real world DIY or DIY competitions for that matter. Where a person finds a few recipes that they want to test, read the profile description - and test the juice. If you go look at DIYorDIE competitions as an example, they test a juice based on how true it is to the profile. They also look at creativity on how ingredients were used. Some avid DIY'ers would love to geek out by reading the profile info and ingredients used.

Also to give zero information might have people confused - if you create a 3 fruit recipe that transcends into something new and exotic, a voter will have no clue what they are vaping.

Also if someone creates a potent menthol juice - a voter might want to taste that last to save their taste buds. Imagine a menthol juice is stacked right next to your juice in the competition, that could wipe out their taste buds when they have to test your juice next. (also some people hate menthol, coolant and tobacco) so we might want to be upfront it - so we don't let them try something they knowingly hate.

Just my thoughts, what do you guys think? We also need to know what the voters thinks who will be testing. So let us know...

Was wondering if there was another comp this year.

Could I perhaps request that all 10 recipes are published this year after the winner is announced and not just the top 3?

I hear you, but I thought about this also, there is a couple of problems here. So if I read the competitions rules they ask us to provide a cool name. So in my mind the only reason to do this would be to provide that on the table next to the juice. Contestants will be placing information about their profile into their names. So you already have a concern here.

The other things - to give out zero information does not really simulate real world DIY or DIY competitions for that matter. Where a person finds a few recipes that they want to test, read the profile description - and test the juice. If you go look at DIYorDIE competitions as an example, they test a juice based on how true it is to the profile. They also look at creativity on how ingredients were used. Some avid DIY'ers would love to geek out by reading the profile info and ingredients used.

Also to give zero information might have people confused - if you create a 3 fruit recipe that transcends into something new and exotic, a voter will have no clue what they are vaping.

Also if someone creates a potent menthol juice - a voter might want to taste that last to save their taste buds. Imagine a menthol juice is stacked right next to your juice in the competition, that could wipe out their taste buds when they have to test your juice next. (also some people hate menthol, coolant and tobacco) so we might want to be upfront it - so we don't let them try something they knowingly hate.

Just my thoughts, what do you guys think? We also need to know what the voters thinks who will be testing. So let us know...
Thanks for the input @Chukin'Vape !

You do raise some valid points, however for this comp the tasting will be completely blind. This is for the simple reason that we want to try and avoid it becoming a popularity contest in terms of, "Hey guys, my juice is the one called Pearl Jam so please go vote for that one".

The main reason for the no naming is to make the competition absolutely fair. No names means no-one can vote for you intentionally as make you win.

I agree diy has allot to do with the profile... but I this case it's a guess.
Last year we were allowed to take a break and not taste all 10 at 1 time and vote. We were allowed to have a drink and return to taste other numbers before having to vote.

I think this is one of the reason the comp allows only 10 entrances.

My only suggestion is an upgrade in the devices used for testing. Maybe a cheap rda to help get the flavour through although that may not simulate a general vape user (subohm).

Vape on

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I agree with @Chukin'Vape here. A ‘trick’ that DIY’ers use is ‘bending’ which is a way of ‘tricking’ the taster into tasting what was intended by using ingredients in a clever way to coax the taster into believing it is a chocolate milkshake by not actually using chocolate, for example.

I blind tastings, the taster usually find it near impossible to accurately identify the ingredients/flavours in a product until it is pointed out to them.
It’s like a wine tasting - when drinking red wine, all you taste is is, well, red wine until a smartass tells you about the freshly cut grass or gooseberry nuances. From there on in, all you can taste is freshly cut grass or gooseberries. The wine contains no gooseberries off course but you now taste gooseberries as that is what you are focusing on. Same with juice tasting. My example is CLY Malva Pudding. Give it to someone to taste and they will NEVER in a million years guess that it is Malva unless you tell them...

Thanks for the input @Chukin'Vape !

You do raise some valid points, however for this comp the tasting will be completely blind. This is for the simple reason that we want to try and avoid it becoming a popularity contest in terms of, "Hey guys, my juice is the one called Pearl Jam so please go vote for that one".
Good point...
Perhaps a short flavour description then?

Hi

Can I spot if there is please.

Tnx

Sorry @Nabeel Osman !

You were number 11 so you only just missed a spot!

I have updated the second post on this thread with our entrants. A good list so I think we are in for some tasty juices!

Sorry @Nabeel Osman !

You were number 11 so you only just missed a spot!

I have updated the second post on this thread with our entrants. A good list so I think we are in for some tasty juices!
No problem

I shall try next year. If anyone wants to drop out I'm here hahaha.

Good luck to all

I shall be placing my vote carefully.

The main reason for the no naming is to make the competition absolutely fair. No names means no-one can vote for you intentionally as make you win.

Last year we were allowed to take a break and not taste all 10 at 1 time and vote. We were allowed to have a drink and return to taste other numbers before having to vote.

My only suggestion is an upgrade in the devices used for testing. Maybe a cheap rda to help get the flavour through although that may not simulate a general vape user (subohm).

Vape on

I see your point - but you can just tell your friends to vote for the "strawberry cream" profile. So there is no real way to get around the friend voting aspect. So just make everything visible in my opinion.

No problem

I shall try next year. If anyone wants to drop out I'm here hahaha.

Good luck to all

I shall be placing my vote carefully.

at least you took 1st place last year! Well done!

@Chukin'Vape here are the rules no names or profle wil be showed

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-26-07-59-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-07-26-07-59-25.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 21

Vape on

I agree with this 100% keep it fair

Aaaah didn't see that bit thanks Caveman - here's me thinking I could swing voters with my creativity. DAMMIT :-D
Lol i think ime the most noob mixer of you all whahahawhahaha

It will still be heaps of fun in the end.

What is @RichJB s excuse?

You have to be present on Sunday the 26th of August at VapeCon 2018 in order to win

Well, that and also that I generally don't publish recipes. I would need to make a Simply Cannoli or St Louie level recipe before releasing it. I get that taste is subjective and that even if I think a recipe is mediocre, somebody somewhere might think it's the most banging juice ever. But I honestly believe that 90%+ of DIY recipes are released prematurely. It took Wayne six months to balance Funfetti, and it shows. It takes a ton of batching, balancing, experimenting with other flavours, subtly tilting the balance this way and that before settling on the final recipe. I'm not at that level of progress on anything I've done. And I'm not sure if I'll ever get to that level. I tend to tire of a specific profile quite quickly. Vaping a juice for three months solid while I tweak and refine and perfect it isn't an attractive proposition to me. By the time I released a recipe, I'd probably be so sick of it that I'd never vape it again. :D

Juices will be sampled in an IJust device (or equivalent)

Most important question i think, Can you guys perhaps confirm what tank will be used? as this makes a BIG difference in regards to percentages in recipes. Ijust tank with standard coil i would think would require more % to taste the flavors when compared to a RTA tank which you dont need such high percentages to taste.

im thinking back to the very first Ijust 2 tanks, havent vaped one of the new Ijust tanks so might be wrong and it has improved alot?

Well, that and also that I generally don't publish recipes. I would need to make a Simply Cannoli or St Louie level recipe before releasing it. I get that taste is subjective and that even if I think a recipe is mediocre, somebody somewhere might think it's the most banging juice ever. But I honestly believe that 90%+ of DIY recipes are released prematurely. It took Wayne six months to balance Funfetti, and it shows. It takes a ton of batching, balancing, experimenting with other flavours, subtly tilting the balance this way and that before settling on the final recipe. I'm not at that level of progress on anything I've done. And I'm not sure if I'll ever get to that level. I tend to tire of a specific profile quite quickly. Vaping a juice for three months solid while I tweak and refine and perfect it isn't an attractive proposition to me. By the time I released a recipe, I'd probably be so sick of it that I'd never vape it again. :D

Its a real problem @RichJB - I loose interest in the profiles im chasing, just because I know how much effort is still ahead - and I get profile fatigue just like you. I went on a custard expedition just before winter - and was busy with 3 batches chasing one profile for a month, and now the thought of custard makes me :vomiton22je:

Most important question i think, Can you guys perhaps confirm what tank will be used? as this makes a BIG difference in regards to percentages in recipes. Ijust tank with standard coil i would think would require more % to taste the flavors when compared to a RTA tank which you dont need such high percentages to taste.

im thinking back to the very first Ijust 2 tanks, havent vaped one of the new Ijust tanks so might be wrong and it has improved alot?
Can't confirm with you at this point in time @StompieZA , but I think this is a perfectly valid statement and will let you know as soon as I do. In the meantime work on something with an IJust + Standard Coils in mind.

Great the only chick between the dudes!
Good luck to everyone.

Good luck to you as well :)

Ive ordered my Rule 1 concentrates, will mix up my recipe tonight and take it from there.
Didnt think there was so much research and planning involved hahaha but i want to alteast try and create an good recipe and not just thumbsuck percentages and throw flavors together.

@Stosta really looking forward to it.

@Silver will make sure im there both days bro-first time I am ever entering a comp like this.

Good luck guys! :D

I agree with every word you said and it would be relevant in a competition where you are solely judged by diyers...I've never been to a Vapecon before but I can assume that the DIY only vapers must be less than 20% of the crowd...keeping that in mind, the strategy with the recipe changes completely. Actually thought about this last night, there's 1 specific concentrate on the list, if used and accompanied by a specific name of your juice, good or mediocre, if I tied the 2 together I would automatically give you the thumbs up and Im convinced so would the rest.

Back