Vaping Legislation RSA

If they ban vaping in SA. I'll still vape. No matter what they do, I'll still vape. The changing of the labelling system on the juices won't affect us that much. I DIY, so I'm good. If I have to smuggle nicotine into the country, I'll do that. No matter what, I'll vape.

Not all of us DIY. I tried and i'm no good at it. There will be bans on importing as well. Risking it for massive fines or even jail time. You can see all over the news how hard SARS Customs are clamping down on illegal importing of cigs..

Not all of us DIY. I tried and i'm no good at it. There will be bans on importing as well. Risking it for massive fines or even jail time. You can see all over the news how hard SARS Customs are clamping down on illegal importing of cigs..

I know some people...

This is my personal opinion....not the company i work for, but personal:

The goal of vaping is to get you off burning material to get a small amount of nicotine. Nicotine in itself is not the culprit of smoking. Cigarettes contain MANY additives to increase the nicotine delivery and additives to make you recognise the 'hit'. The reason why many fail at quitting is that slapping a patch on your arm or chewing bubblegum does not achieve habitual satisfaction.

Vaping is the easiest way to get people to forego cigarettes, the flavour options in pre-made juices allow people entry to vaping is part and parcel in the initial stages of switching from cigs to vaping. Stating that because i DIY it is fine is a very short sighted view on the proposed bill. A selfish view will not help people to abandon smoking.

I changed my career path to help people off smoking, not to pad my ego or to increase my vaping budget.... to help people off smoking.

I cannot imagine how any Vaper will look at the proposed bill and not realise that the potential of moving people off cigarettes will be taking a 180º turn. The bill 100% makes cigarette use much more alluring than vaping. How do you get someone to vape when you are only able to show a plain box (with a graphic picture of the damage smoking does....for a flippen ego pen??). How do you get someone to vape when you cannot say that vaping is a safer option than smoking?? On a recent study it was shown that people in SA believe that vaping is equally(21%) or more dangerous than smoking(18%)...how will you be able to educate people now?

i1007^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.png
Screengrab of the youtube vid from The Smoker's Show (hosted by Phil Busardo and Dimitris Agrafiotis)
SA is 4th from the left.

Flavour chasers and even cloud chasers will have a HARD time vaping when the only option is a bland tobacco, or clean vg.

This is my personal opinion....not the company i work for, but personal

Last edited:
So what should we tell them? That vaping isn't as dangerous as vaping? If it's not clear, read the excerpt of your post that I quoted again:

On a recent study it was shown that people in SA believe that vaping is equally(21%) or more dangerous than vaping(18%)

Is there something in there that you might want to reword?

So what should we tell them? That vaping isn't as dangerous as vaping? If it's not clear, read the excerpt of your post that I quoted again:

thanks. Did not see that mistake, hence the same response to yours sorry. In the heat of the moment and all

If this goes through and is enforced, you will sadly see many vapers (no, not all - probably none of us here) going back to smoking.
Ironic, isn't it.

Yes, but again - if there's no nicotine in the juice, it cannot fall under the scope of this legislation. So that part doesn't worry me too much.
I agree that it's likely to be menthol they're after. Probably not weed. I'm sure nobody that uses that is doing so for the taste.

Unfortunately the way its worded, it would seem even Nicotine free products are covered.

Page 8 section under component

"(b) In respect of electronic delivery system, whether or not sold seperately from the system, includes cartridge, cartomiser, clearomiser, tank system, drip tip, mouthpiece, atomizer, internal power source, any programmable software, liquid solution, whether containing nicotine or not, and any source of flavourings and substances."

Unless i'm missing something, this regulation covers components as well.

Unfortunately the way its worded, it would seem even Nicotine free products are covered.

Page 8 section under component

"(b) In respect of electronic delivery system, whether or not sold seperately from the system, includes cartridge, cartomiser, clearomiser, tank system, drip tip, mouthpiece, atomizer, internal power source, any programmable software, liquid solution, whether containing nicotine or not, and any source of flavourings and substances."

Unless i'm missing something, this regulation covers components as well.
No seems you are correct - they made this bill ambiguous as hell. Quoted from page 8 of the bill, bolded emphasis mine:

"electronic nicotine delivery system" means an electronically operated product designed to deliver an aerosol to users by heating a solution comprised of nicotine and typically. but not necessarily, propylene glycol, glycerol or both. and often flavouring and any other solution intended for use with or in the product:

"electronic non -nicotine delivery system" means an electronically operated product designed to deliver an aerosol to users by heating a solution of substances that does not contain nicotine and any other solution intended for use with or in the product:

"component" -
(b) in respect of an electronic delivery system. whether or not sold separately from the system. includes the cartridge, cartomiser. clearomiser. tank system. drip tip, mouthpiece. atomiser. internal power source. any programmable software. liquid solution. whether containing nicotine or not. and any source of flavourings or other substances:

So juice manufacturers would have to market their juices as "flavour syrups not for use in electronic delivery systems". Whether they'd get away with it or not is obviously another story.
Having said that, a non-nicotine hazelnut juice tastes great in coffee, so....

I'm really not sure this bill passes muster in its current form. They're making provisions for non-nicotine juices where said juices have no banned or controlled substances (if you take away the nicotine). It's overreaching and this can be challenged.

Drip tips is a good example. The government can not possibly try to legislate driptips, it would be legislative overreach and not valid.

Even just the file format speaks of ineptitude. I realise it's directly from the government printers, but a 20-odd page pdf published for download really shouldn't be 20mb...

Be that as it may, this is precisely the type of heavy-handed overreach that I feared. Petitions are all well and good - and I would urge those adding their voices to expand on the generic wording of the sample response with their own experience - but this will take a joint and concerted effort from the local industry players to oppose. Retailers will need to stand in unison to ensure their voice is loud enough to be heard.

If the bill goes through in this state, it will decimate the local vaping scene overnight.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

The big problem with white labels is that most of the vape stuff specially hardware is imported. I doubt our market is big enough for manufacturers to bother with special packaging for us. With cigs we have large local manufacturers that will not have this as too big a problem.

So can shops sell hardware if they put device boxes in an outer white box?

Will this include medical nebulising equipment?
That's my point, it's overreaching to the point where they're making everyday things borderline illegal. Nebulisers, inhalers..... er... oxygen tanks too, for that matter.

That's my point, it's overreaching to the point where they're making everyday things borderline illegal. Nebulisers, inhalers..... er... oxygen tanks too, for that matter.
My vapes have all been repurposed as personal nebulisers for medicinal uses... Just for when they make this distinction!

My vapes have all been repurposed as personal nebulisers for medicinal uses... Just for when they make this distinction!
At least @Silver is already used to menthol which may pass inspection as personal nebulisers, :D the rest of are going to have to grow a pair and go totally menthol!;)

This is my personal opinion....not the company i work for, but personal:

The goal of vaping is to get you off burning material to get a small amount of nicotine. Nicotine in itself is not the culprit of smoking. Cigarettes contain MANY additives to increase the nicotine delivery and additives to make you recognise the 'hit'. The reason why many fail at quitting is that slapping a patch on your arm or chewing bubblegum does not achieve habitual satisfaction.

Vaping is the easiest way to get people to forego cigarettes, the flavour options in pre-made juices allow people entry to vaping is part and parcel in the initial stages of switching from cigs to vaping. Stating that because i DIY it is fine is a very short sighted view on the proposed bill. A selfish view will not help people to abandon smoking.

I changed my career path to help people off smoking, not to pad my ego or to increase my vaping budget.... to help people off smoking.

I cannot imagine how any Vaper will look at the proposed bill and not realise that the potential of moving people off cigarettes will be taking a 180º turn. The bill 100% makes cigarette use much more alluring than vaping. How do you get someone to vape when you are only able to show a plain box (with a graphic picture of the damage smoking does....for a flippen ego pen??). How do you get someone to vape when you cannot say that vaping is a safer option than smoking?? On a recent study it was shown that people in SA believe that vaping is equally(21%) or more dangerous than smoking(18%)...how will you be able to educate people now?

View attachment 131584
Screengrab of the youtube vid from The Smoker's Show (hosted by Phil Busardo and Dimitris Agrafiotis)
SA is 4th from the left.

Flavour chasers and even cloud chasers will have a HARD time vaping when the only option is a bland tobacco, or clean vg.

This is my personal opinion....not the company i work for, but personal

Yep I was told today, by a non-vaper/non-smoker, that vaping is as dangerous as smoking. There is nothing that will change such a person's mindset. They believe what they believe.

So juice manufacturers would have to market their juices as "flavour syrups not for use in electronic delivery systems". Whether they'd get away with it or not is obviously another story.
Having said that, a non-nicotine hazelnut juice tastes great in coffee, so....

I'm really not sure this bill passes muster in its current form. They're making provisions for non-nicotine juices where said juices have no banned or controlled substances (if you take away the nicotine). It's overreaching and this can be challenged.

Drip tips is a good example. The government can not possibly try to legislate driptips, it would be legislative overreach and not valid.

They would have to make provisions for non-nicotine juices - otherwise we'd all just say that we're vaping zero nic! The only way that they could disprove that is to analyse the juice. Ah... but wait ... perhaps they're already designing a breathalyser for vape juice, so as to catch all of us sneaky vapers who will no doubt go to the restrooms in malls for a quickie!

Yep I was told today, by a non-vaper/non-smoker, that vaping is as dangerous as smoking. There is nothing that will change such a person's mindset. They believe what they believe.

You see @Hooked, their has to be dumb people in the world to balance the intelligent, In SA the scale is very unbalanced thats why we see so much stupid on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

will this shinola affect Vapecon 18 ?

I've been wondering about what happens after the 3-month comment period is up. If the bill goes through in its current wording, how long before its passed by Parliament? And does it become law immediately, or do they say that it come into effect on a certain date? How much time do we have to stock up - that is the question!

Back