Very harsh bitter flavour.

Nick

I want to be the person my dog thinks I am
LV

Awards
Afternoon guys and girls.. first post so be gentle with me.. so gave up the smokes 6 days ago.. swimming along nicely at the moment with my twisp (which I now realise is Hellishly exspensive) and I have hit a deal breaker.. the very harsh bitter after taste.. I spoke to twisp and they seem to think I am using the clearo wrong.. I am not a rocket scientist but it's a very simple procedure.. does anyone having any ideas what causes this? I was a pack a day smoker so am currently using 18mg tobacco liquid.. which when I started last week it tasted great... I put a 3 coil in today because I thought I may have dry burnt the others but I now realise it's not this as the taste is still the same with a new coil.. thanks guys and girls in advance

This is on the Twisp you are referring to? Sorry if that question seems stupid, just trying to determine if variable wattage and resistance are factors we can eliminate

This is on the Twisp you are referring to? Sorry if that question seems stupid, just trying to determine if variable wattage and resistance are factors we can eliminate
Hi SHIBBY. . Thanks for the response yes it's on the twisp clearo...

You have me stumped, @Nick. Maybe you opened a new bottle of juice, which is off? Or your taste buds are awakening? Best I can suggest if you visit a VapeMob store and let the peeps there help you in person. Or, if we know whereabouts you live, someone from that area might offer to come around and check it out in comparison with his/her gear and juice.

You have me stumped, @Nick. Maybe you opened a new bottle of juice, which is off? Or your taste buds are awakening? Best I can suggest if you visit a VapeMob store and let the peeps there help you in person. Or, if we know whereabouts you live, someone from that area might offer to come around and check it out in comparison with his/her gear and juice.
Hi Andre. . Thanks I am in Cape Town? Durbanville.. it's just ruining the experience for me.. I really enjoyed the first couple of days and I have tried everything to give up smoke including hard prescription drugs and failed .. the vaping option I really think can work..

Hi Andre. . Thanks I am in Cape Town? Durbanville.. it's just ruining the experience for me.. I really enjoyed the first couple of days and I have tried everything to give up smoke including hard prescription drugs and failed .. the vaping option I really think can work..
If no one here offers - you can find the VapeMob store locations here: https://www.vapemob.co.za/contact-us/
I am a bit far away unfortunately.

Thanks again Andre. I think there is a store in Cape Town. . I work in the city so may pop in and see them... only thing is I am a grand in the hole with the twisp so I am hoping I can find a solution.. I know going forward I will want to upgrade my gear but at this stage want to get my monies worth from this first...

Thanks again Andre. I think there is a store in Cape Town. . I work in the city so may pop in and see them... only thing is I am a grand in the hole with the twisp so I am hoping I can find a solution.. I know going forward I will want to upgrade my gear but at this stage want to get my monies worth from this first...

The Twisp Clearo is a very nice piece, it could be something small that's wrong, maybe coil defective...again? I'm sure the Twisp guys can be of more assistance to you?

The Twisp Clearo is a very nice piece, it could be something small that's wrong, maybe coil defective...again? I'm sure the Twisp guys can be of more assistance to you?
Thanks pixstar. . Am going to pop down and speak to twisp tomorrow they phoned me today with various possibilities but most of them were user errors and I struggle with that as I said it's not a difficult thing to master . .. hope it's fixable or solvable just genuinely need this to work for my health and my 2 young children.. smoking is killing me slowly.

Hi @Nick and welcome to the forum. The only thing I can think of is that the device is flooding and spitting juice into your mouth. The twisp clearo is a top coil device which by design puts the atomising chamber very close to your mouth, bottom coil designs have their coils closer to the battery section and further away from the mouthpiece. The juice on its own (especially 18mg) can be very harsh and bitter, almost peppery. Another thing is that perhaps the nic concentration is too high.

As @Andre has suggested, try to get yourself to a reputable and trustworthy retailer who can help you get your issues sorted out, either with the correct juice or with a better more effective device.

And, you are quite correct when you say vaping can work. It certainly can and it does. I was a 2 pack a day camel filter smoker. @Andre was doing 80 a day.

Thanks bumblebee. . Yep I thought it might be liquid so I meticulously keep the section between the mouth piece and the liquid clean and check regularly. . 18mg could be to high for a newbie.. will check out lower mg rates tomorrow. . Been smoking since I was 11years old so it's been 35 years tried 5 times to give up but with no luck... two kids now 8 and 6 so must do it for them...

Thanks bumblebee. . Yep I thought it might be liquid so I meticulously keep the section between the mouth piece and the liquid clean and check regularly. . 18mg could be to high for a newbie.. will check out lower mg rates tomorrow. . Been smoking since I was 11years old so it's been 35 years tried 5 times to give up but with no luck... two kids now 8 and 6 so must do it for them...
18mg can be a good starting point for most newbies, I started on 24mg on a similar device and it still wasn't enough. It wasn't until a got a proper device that I finally quit the analogs.

Slightly of topic @BumbleBee .. when you say proper device? What's the best pen like device. . I might get into the boxes one day but I like the twisp because it's discreet and user friendl you and looks good in hand...

Slightly of topic @BumbleBee .. when you say proper device? What's the best pen like device. . I might get into the boxes one day but I like the twisp because it's discreet and user friendl you and looks good in hand...
That's a tricky question for me to answer as I'm not very fond of pen type devices. I do know what you mean about being discreet though. The Kangertech Evod kit was great, some people still use them (@Silver) but they're getting hard to find as the technology has since moved on. I am still a big fan of the iStick with a Nautilus mini tank, it's relatively compact, very dependable, noob friendly and most importantly, it's effective.

@Nick the eLeaf D16 battery is a nice VV/VW battery that is also in a pen shape. Puts out a maximum of 10W, but quite nice for driving. I think www.Vapeclub.co.za still sell them and the Evod. The Aspire ET-S is also nice and hold 3ml and not much bigger than the Twisp. Maybe @JakesSA or @VapeGrrl can correct me.

Best of luck mate. I also tried the prescription drugs, other drugs, and a whole lot of dark and sinister stuff to quit but never managed more than 3 months. Now I'm on my way to 6 months and no cravings at all. I'm broke though, but that is a story for a different day :D

Which twisp do you have? The twisp Aero is not a bad device. It is basically an Ego 1, just more expensive.

Which twisp do you have? The twisp Aero is not a bad device. It is basically an Ego 1, just more expensive.
He mentioned the clearo in his first post. I assume he was lured in by that "special" they're running at the moment.

He mentioned the clearo in his first post. I assume he was lured in by that "special" they're running at the moment.
Oh, I thought "clearo" meant "clearomizer". As far as I know they have Solo, Edge and Aero cleoromizers?

If its the aero which I'm guessing by the 1grand price tag then its not a top coil system like the older clearo model.

Just wondering if perhaps the coil resistance on the replacement coil is lower than the stock coil when you bought it. The lower resistance coil and 18mg juice could taste alot different from when you just bought the device

What if its due to coil not being primed on 1st use?

Wick gets burnt and taste lingers even afterwards

If its the aero which I'm guessing by the 1grand price tag then its not a top coil system like the older clearo model.

Just wondering if perhaps the coil resistance on the replacement coil is lower than the stock coil when you bought it. The lower resistance coil and 18mg juice could taste alot different from when you just bought the device
Thanks it's the clearo the first pic.. the coli is at the top...

Oh, I thought "clearo" meant "clearomizer". As far as I know they have Solo, Edge and Aero cleoromizers?
Twisp Clearo was the old top coil model similar to the Justfog Maxi. They were running a special recently, I can't find details of it now.

What if its due to coil not being primed on 1st use?

Wick gets burnt and taste lingers even afterwards
This I thought of as a rookie mistake.. so I primed a new coil and it still has the issue...

Hi @Nick, just in case you haven't seen this http://www.twisp.co.za/maintaining-your-twisp-clearo-and-replaceable-coil/ here it is again. I can't help you any more unfortunately, never having owned a twisp device myself.

One of the other things to try is diluting a small amount of the liquid with some VG from a chemist at a 50/50 ratio, just to rule out the nicotine level playing a role here. And best wishes on your quest to be smoke free, my family and I know the feeling very well after 28years of smoking them things.

Last edited:
Back