Warning: Super Glue

Probably unrelated, but if you add baby powder to superglue you can use it as a paste to make small repairs in plastics/resins, the baby powder also makes it so it sands off and smooths easier. Often used it in my RC heli days to do body repairs

Is still do that to make a filling compound for my model aircraft

Forensic technicians use superglue vapour to lift fingerprints. They have to do it in a sealed chamber because of the cyanide fumes produced by heating the superglue
(I watch too much Investigation Discovery channel)
Its probably because it causes the chemical composition of the superglue to break down that causes the cyanide gas

Forensic technicians use superglue vapour to lift fingerprints. They have to do it in a sealed chamber because of the cyanide fumes produced by heating the superglue
(I watch too much Investigation Discovery channel)
Its probably because it causes the chemical composition of the superglue to break down that causes the cyanide gas

Its called Cyanoacrylate, used in Fuming chambers to develop latent fingerprints on smooth surfaces like glass

See below what good old Wiki is saying (Was even used in the Vietnam war to close emergency wounds)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Toxicity[edit]
The fumes from CA are a vaporized form of the cyanoacrylate monomer that irritate sensitive membranes in the eyes, nose, and throat. They are immediately polymerized by the moisture in the membranes and become inert. These risks can be minimized by using CA in well ventilated areas. About 5% of the population can become sensitized to CA fumes after repeated exposure, resulting in flu-like symptoms.[18] It may also act as a skin irritant and may cause an allergic skin reaction. The ACGIH assign a Threshold Limit Value exposure limit of 200 parts per billion. On rare occasions, inhalation may trigger asthma. There is no singular measurement of toxicity for all cyanoacrylate adhesives as there is a wide variety of adhesives that contain various cyanoacrylate formulations.

The United States National Toxicology Program and the United Kingdom Health and Safety Executive have concluded that the use of ethyl cyanoacrylate is safe and that additional study is unnecessary.[19] 2-octyl cyanoacrylate degrades much more slowly due to its longer organic backbone that slows the degradation of the adhesive enough to remain below the threshold of tissue toxicity. Due to the toxicity issues of ethyl cyanoacrylate, the use of 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for sutures is preferred.

Its called Cyanoacrylate, used in Fuming chambers to develop latent fingerprints on smooth surfaces like glass

See below what good old Wiki is saying (Was even used in the Vietnam war to close emergency wounds)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Toxicity[edit]
The fumes from CA are a vaporized form of the cyanoacrylate monomer that irritate sensitive membranes in the eyes, nose, and throat. They are immediately polymerized by the moisture in the membranes and become inert. These risks can be minimized by using CA in well ventilated areas. About 5% of the population can become sensitized to CA fumes after repeated exposure, resulting in flu-like symptoms.[18] It may also act as a skin irritant and may cause an allergic skin reaction. The ACGIH assign a Threshold Limit Value exposure limit of 200 parts per billion. On rare occasions, inhalation may trigger asthma. There is no singular measurement of toxicity for all cyanoacrylate adhesives as there is a wide variety of adhesives that contain various cyanoacrylate formulations.

The United States National Toxicology Program and the United Kingdom Health and Safety Executive have concluded that the use of ethyl cyanoacrylate is safe and that additional study is unnecessary.[19] 2-octyl cyanoacrylate degrades much more slowly due to its longer organic backbone that slows the degradation of the adhesive enough to remain below the threshold of tissue toxicity. Due to the toxicity issues of ethyl cyanoacrylate, the use of 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for sutures is preferred.
I guess it's safe as long as you don't heat it up or swallow it. I think the risk of using it to seal wounds isn't in the superglue but the germs sealed in the wound

@VapeViper I've posted on numerous occasions since Feb 2014 regarding this specific contaminant in super glue, but the majority will not take head. Thanks for posting this, hopefully one sod will will take head from your post.

@VapeViper I've posted on numerous occasions since Feb 2014 regarding this specific contaminant in super glue, but the majority will not take head. Thanks for posting this, hopefully one sod will will take head from your post.
I hope so too. Cyanide isn't a pretty way to go

Back in world war 2, super glue was used on the battle field to keep wounds closed with no risk of breaking stitches and also a quick and easy fix. But that was back then. Today Not sure on if/ how much there is in superglue.

Cigarettes contain cyanide, in small traces, people still be walking around.

And I am that sorry sod. :--P Asked you last year about what glue to use.

Pratley Clear was the answer iirc and I am still alive so I guess you were right. ;):-D

Ok let me google and try and explain. Most people seem to assume that Super glue is the same as Surgical glue (aka Medical grade super glue)

What is the difference between super glue and medical grade or surgical glue?

Ordinary commercial Super glue:

SG-1.png

Ethyl cyanoacrylate (ECA), a cyanoacrylate ester, is an ethyl ester of 2-cyano-2-propenoic acid. It is a colorless liquid with low viscosity. It is the main component of cyanoacrylate glues and can be encountered under many trade names. Super glue and Krazy glue are believed to be ECA. Mercury Adhesives is an example of an American made ECA. [1] It is soluble in acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, nitromethane, and methylene chloride.[2] ECA polymerizes rapidly in presence of moisture. source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_cyanoacrylate

Medical grade superglue in DERMABOND ADVANCED™ and a few others:

SG2.png

2-Octyl cyanoacrylate is an cyanoacrylate ester used in medical adhesives. It is closely related to octyl cyanoacrylate. source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Octyl_cyanoacrylate

Medical grade superglue in Histoacryl® Topical Skin Adhesive and a few others:

SG3.png

n-Butyl cyanoacrylate (n-BCA, NBCA), a cyanoacrylate ester, is a butyl ester of 2-cyano-2-propenoic acid. It is a clear colorless liquid with a sharp, irritating odor. It is insoluble in water. Its chief use is as the main component of medical cyanoacrylate glues.[1] It can be encountered under various trade names, e.g. MediBond, MediCryl, PeriAcryl, GluStitch, Xoin, Gesika, VetGlu, Vetbond, LiquiVet, Indermil, LiquiBand, Histoacryl, and others.[2] source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyl_cyanoacrylate

As you can see, the molecular formulas are a bit different (namely, the ester tails on the right side of each illustration). Three other differences:
  1. Non-medical superglues utilize solvents that are toxic to human tissue, such as methanol, hence the common complaint of "burning" or irritation reported by those who use it on wounds.
  2. The butyl, isobutyl and octyl esters used in medical-grade superglues have been reported to contain bacteriostatic properties.
  3. The medical-grade superglues apparently have less of an exothermic reaction, reducing the chances of heat damage to tissue.
If I'm in the bush with a life threatening gushing wound, I would definitely use any superglue and hope for the best. In all other situations I will rather go for a stich up, but that just my opinion.

The best super glue story I have is a friend of mine about 20 years ago smoked some mountain cabbage and wanted eye drops to clear his red eyes, put super glue in by mistake, rushed to doctor who had to surgically reopen his eyes! :-D
I cringe , sh@t that must have been sore!

Time & time again I read postings on this forum of guys resorting to Super Glue to fix something vape related. I just feel compelled to do this post here:

Do not use Super Glue! as 99% of Super Glue purchased in South Africa comes from China and contains CYANIDE. Cyanide is highly toxic in any form and can kill you.

The best to use is Pratley's 2-part clear epoxy - it's non-toxic in cured form, much more durable, does not off-gas toxic fumes when exposed to heat (like Super Glue does).

Please be safe and vape alive!
What about Sticks like Shit? I have a drip-tip that keeps falling out, so I used Sticks like Shit to glue the base into the tank.

What about Sticks like Shit? I have a drip-tip that keeps falling out, so I used Sticks like Shit to glue the base into the tank.

Instead of doing that, try using dental floss. wrap it tightly between the o-ring and the groove, so that it pulls underneath the o-ring.

Hi @Hooked - i would agree with @Alex - rather go for a solution like that instead of using adhesive products. Those products may contain components that are dangerous to ingest - or the heat may somehow interact with them and the fumes let off may be poisonous.

Am not sure if this applies to all adhesives - but personally I wouldn't risk it.

Hi @Hooked - i would agree with @Alex - rather go for a solution like that instead of using adhesive products. Those products may contain components that are dangerous to ingest - or the heat may somehow interact with them and the fumes let off may be poisonous.

Am not sure if this applies to all adhesives - but personally I wouldn't risk it.
@Alex and @Silver the dental floss is a brilliant idea, thanks! However, Sticks like Shit does exactly what the name says, so too late now. That means that I have to throw away my iJust Start, which is OK because the battery only lasts for about an hour anyway! Not having much luck with my devices ;( ... iJust Start is stuck for good and I positively hate the iJust S which I bought recently. Going to buy something else within the next few days! Going to post under General Vaporizer asking for suggestions now.

dunno about cyanide but all superblue is cyanoacrylate. does not withstand high heat or water.
Not all are cyanoacrylate. People in the marine tank hobby use super glue in their tanks, but it must have Cyanoacrylate.

Cyanoacrylate glue's ability to resist water has made it popular with marine aquariumhobbyists for fragging corals.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

In future I'll look before I leap. I've now done some belated googling on Sticks like Shit. The packaging says that it contains Acetylacetonate and "May produce an allergic reaction". I googled Acetylacetonate and it's highly toxic. Fortunately for me I haven't used the iJust Start which I "fixed" very much and I've had no discernible side-effects. For those interested in more information (which I should have googled BEFORE using it on my iJust Start) read on, while I continue to berate myself.:ambulance::smiley_1140:

"acetylacetonate is (organic chemistry) any salt of the enol form of acetylacetone."
http://wikidiff.com/acetylacetonate/acetylacetone

And what is acetylacetone? Apparently it's Product Name is Aluminum (III) Acetylacetonate

Danger Hazard statements:
Fatal if swallowed.
Causes skin irritation.
May cause an allergic skin reaction.
Causes serious eye irritation
May cause respiratory irritation.

Precautionary statements:
Avoid breathing dust / fume / gas / mist / vapours / spray.
Wash skin thoroughly after handling.
Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product.
Wear eye protection / face protection / gloves.
IF SWALLOWED: Immediately call a POISON CENTER or doctor / physician. Rinse mouth.
IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of soap and water.
IF INHALED: Remove victim to fresh air and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing. Call a POISON CENTER or doctor / physician if you fee unwell.
IF IN EYES: rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing.
If skin irritation or rash occurs: Get medical advice / attention.
If eye irritation persists: Get medical advice / attention.

GHS Classification:
Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/.../Globally_Harmonized_System_of_Classification_and_Lab...
The Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS) is an internationally agreed-upon standard managed by the United Nations that was set up to replace the assortment of hazardous material classification and labelling schemes previously used around the world.

Acute toxicity, Oral - 2
Skin irritation - 2
Eye irritation - 2A
Skin sensitization - 1
Specific target organ toxicity - single exposure - 3

HMIS ratings (scale 0-4):
The Hazardous Materials Identification System(HMIS) is a numerical hazard rating that incorporates the use of labels with color developed by the American Coatings Association as a compliance aid for the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard.
Hazardous Materials Identification System - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazardous_Materials_Identification_System

Health hazard: 4*
Flammability: 1
Physical hazard: 0

https://noahtech.com/data/safety.14700.pdf

No wonder its called "Sticks like Shit" - in my books "Shit" is highly toxic ;).

hooked if you still have it you can remove it with an organic solvent if you want. try a mineral oil or or natural turpentine available from a arts store.
Johan is right.rather go with parley epoxy once cured its good to go or better yet they got a marine grade clear epoxy and it cost the same price its got a green tab

Can't you use acetone to remove superglue?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I've been using superglue to close cuts and wounds since waaay back. If it was that bad, I'd be dead.

However, Cyanide is only released when heated as the original molecule degrades and releases Cyanide in gas form. Which is lethal even in small amounts. And a lot of mods do get very hot.

This is a solid thread. Definitely something to spread.

acetone.xylene toluene,toluol,water based paint stripper.but it needs to be flushed properly...which bring us to my next invention,waterproof vaper.you can now vape in the comfort of you shower

Back