What's the difference?

Captain Chaos

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
I've geen Googling, but have not really found the answers that I'm looking for.

Where can I find info and pictures about various coil wire? I still have no idea what a Clapton, Caterpillar, Alien etc etc etc is.

I was with a bunch of guys in TFM today and they were talking about their fused clapton, Alien and whatever. Felt like a complete dumbass. :notagain:

Where can I find info and pictures about various coil wire? I still have no idea what a Clapton, Caterpillar, Alien etc etc etc is.

I was with a bunch of guys in TFM today and they were talking about their fused clapton, Alien and whatever. Felt like a complete dumbass. :notagain:
Chances are they were just faking it very convincingly. Talk loud and act confident and most will believe you. Jokes aside, you are not alone as I think many of use have an idea but are not quite that sure about the more exotic stuff. This is worsened by conflicting information out there in googleworld.

Would be nice to have a type of reference or industry standard of exactly what is what. Hope people more knowledgeable than me assist in removing some of the mystery.

Regards

Chances are they were just faking it very convincingly. Talk loud and act confident and most will believe you. Jokes aside, you are not alone as I think many of use have an idea but are not quite that sure about the more exotic stuff. This is worsened by conflicting information out there in googleworld.

Would be nice to have a type of reference or industry standard of exactly what is what. Hope people more knowledgeable than me assist in removing some of the mystery.

Regards

Ditto. I'd love to build my own but I got lot to learn so sticking with premade coil wire til I feel more confident in making them.

I've seen these chain coils and mesh coils. Way out of my league. Lol. Claptons and aliens are more down my alley when I start building them eventually, after I find my confident spot.

I am sure @smilelykumeenit will chime in with his knowledge as a coil maker.

Here is a start for you - a picture from my coil app. I'm sure you will find much better pics on the internet if you Google

0999780403772bcf00d27a814791981b.jpg

Sent by iDad's iPhone

i agree with the post above! @RenaldoRheeder
that app is Coil Builder, it's a good one.

there are also braided coils, tsuka coils and staggertons.
a tsuka coil is when cores are claptoned with twisted ribbon wire.
staggertons are stacked ribbon cores, stagger-claptoned, then framed by round wire and then all fused together between the ribbons' stagger. it is like an outside-in staple staggered fused clapton.

i trust this clears things up haha

I keep coming back to using my twisted coils :dance1:

Good question @Captain Chaos
I also get so confused about these different types of coils

The Clapton (where you wind a thinner wire around a fatter wire) seems to be a good choice
Supposed to give better flavour because of more surface area in contact with the wicks
Also i have heard that since you may get slightly different temperatures on different parts of the coil, you get a well rounded flavour (the different flavours get accentuated at different temps) - don't ask me which ones or which temps but that's how i understand it.

i think the issue is finding a coil that works well for you in your device with the juice you want to vape. Takes a lot of time and i am nowhere near where id like to be in testing these different "exotic" coil types

Loved that picture above @RenaldoRheeder

Last edited:
Good question @Captain Chaos
I also get so confused about these different types of coils

The Clapton (where you wind a thinner wire around a fatter wire) seems to be a good choice
Supposed to give better flavour because of more surface area in contsct with the wicks
Also i have heard that since you may get slightly different temperatures on different parts of the get a well rounded flavour (the different flavours get accentuated at different temps) - dont ask me which ones or which temps but thats how i understand it.

i think the issue is finding a coil that works well for you in your device with the juice you want to vape. Takes a lot of time and i am nowhere near where id like to be in testing these different "exotic" coil types

Loved that picture above @RenaldoRheeder

From one of my apps @Silver. I use it quite often

The other app is ready for when I get my Reos looks like the next trip to SA will now only be in June when my wife comes down
b497df3aef99d8762a5cf4fc9524d87c.jpg

:-(

Sent by iDad's iPhone

Here are framed clapton and tsuka coils. Both are amazing for flavour, but the tsuka more intense.
48e697b4f0238bcee03fece785d585db.jpg
4cc1e1d402d040fe08f8434600bd0b5b.jpg

staggertons are stacked ribbon cores, stagger-claptoned, then framed by round wire and then all fused together between the ribbons' stagger. it is like an outside-in staple staggered fused clapton.

Always make it sound so simple @smilelykumeenit then I go, buy some wire and well let's just say it keeps me busy. Lol

None of this will make sense if you don't know what Clapton is: it's wire wrapped with wire. ex. 24 gauge wrapped with 36 gauge.

None of this will make sense if you don't know what Clapton is: it's wire wrapped with wire. ex. 24 gauge wrapped with 36 gauge.
Exactly this. I kept hearing people talking about claptons and couldn't understand what a guitarist/singer had to do with vaping.

Another thing that a lot of people don't know is that wire gauge (thickness) actually gets smaller as the number goes higher. So 24g is a lot thicker than 36g. That one took me a while to figure out as well...

Exactly this. I kept hearing people talking about claptons and couldn't understand what a guitarist/singer had to do with vaping.

Another thing that a lot of people don't know is that wire gauge (thickness) actually gets smaller as the number goes higher. So 24g is a lot thicker than 36g. That one took me a while to figure out as well...
The Clapton was actually named after Eric Clapton if I understand correctly.

The Clapton was actually named after Eric Clapton if I understand correctly.
Correct, if I remember the story correctly it was actually named after his guitar strings, hence the construction of the coil (wire wrapped in wire, like a guitar string).

Correct, if I remember the story correctly it was actually named after his guitar strings, hence the construction of the coil (wire wrapped in wire, like a guitar string).
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I honestly thought they where called that because of the crackling sound it makes...

Now I know that if I ever run out of wire I can just use some of my replacement strings:-D

Borrowed and changed a tad:

So single clapton you is 1 core wire and 1 wrapped around it all the way.
Fused is when you have 2 core wires that is then Claptoned.
Aliens have 2+ cores, but the outer wrap is wrapped by wire that was first used to Clapton other wire and then removed. This gives aliens that wavy appearance.
Staple coil is when you have flat ribbons stacked together, then wrapped like a clapton.
Framed is when you have 2 larger wires with smaller ones sandwiched in between them that is claptoned together.
Staggered claptons are when you have 2 outer wraps that alternate. Juggernaut is 2 regular claptons in parallel wrapped with flat ribbon. Fraliens are framed staple alien coils
Twisted are coils made from twisting 2 or more pieces of wire together.

Well. It just goes to show that you never stop learning. Thanks to all those above that educated me on the origin of the naming. Pity it's not called the Hendrix coil though. If someone heard you were vaping on a dual Hendrix build then they'd know you mean business.

Well. It just goes to show that you never stop learning. Thanks to all those above that educated me on the origin of the naming. Pity it's not called the Hendrix coil though. If someone heard you were vaping on a dual Hendrix build then they'd know you mean business.
A Clapton is balanced...like a good song needs a guitar and a songwriter.

You're an expert coil builder so I have a question for you:

When building a framed staple; do you ever find that your coil bends out of shape when wrapping? I built it a few times and it always bends out of shape. I am guessing that either the ribbon wire it too big or I need more ribbon cores.

Specs:
2 x 26g Nichrome
36g Nichrome clapton
6 x 0.5*0.1 Kanthal ribbon

Thoughts?

Back