Wismec Reuleaux DNA 200 - Review

BumbleBee

Vaping Master
VIP
LV

Awards
I've been playing with this mod for 2 days now, I haven't really gone into too much detail with the Escribe software just yet, just playing with the simpler stuff. This is in no way a detailed review, it's just my initial impressions, you guys are more than welcome to chip in and give your thoughts and findings too.

12277255_10208049331412602_1905001104_n.jpg

Firstly, the build quality is great. Right out of the sturdy black box you can see that this is a premium quality mod, it feels great and the paint finish is flawless, the gunmetal grey paint is especially nice with it's shimmering but not overdone glittery effect. The mod feels solid even without batteries installed. Once the batteries are loaded up it really does put on some weight, but in a good way. Flinging this at someone will do damage.

12305884_10208049679661308_623114131_n.jpg

Every atty that I've tried on it fits well and snuggles comfortably in the slightly recessed juice well. The magnets on the door hold on like sh!t to a sheep's ass. The one top corner of the battery cover sits slightly proud of the main body on mine, very slightly, it doesn't bother me. Wiggling the door around on mine produced no movement in any direction and absolutely no rattle whatsoever, that thing is on there!

12305849_10208049682821387_84407775_n.jpg

I installed 3 brand new 25R's in mine, the very last cell to go in wouldn't make contact because that little safety ring thingie on the battery sled touched the insulator on the battery, it looks like that little plastic ring is supposed to slip inside of the battery wrap. A bit of wiggling and spinning of the battery seems to have sorted the issue out though.

12305625_10208049615219697_1483718884_n.jpg

Now, on to some of the stuff that I found very disappointing, things that I should have found out about first but kinda expected to be standard on a device in this price bracket. These things may not bother others or may just be minor nuisances but these things bug me. I realize that they are not limited to this mod only but are limitations of the DNA200 chipset.

1. You can't set up a power curve for Kanthal, so you can't set an initial boost of power to warm up your coil quicker. So if you set your dual clapton build to 100W you will get it.....eventually. There are no "Soft, Normal, Hard" modes like on the SX Mini and you can't set up a curve like most Smok devices.

2. I can't find a way to change the temperature limit on the mod, it has to be done on your pc and then uploaded onto the mod. So if you set up your profile for a Nickel build at 60W and 230C you may be happy with it but an hour or two later you're away from your pc and feel the need to up it to say 250C you're screwed, all you can do on the mod is change the wattage setting.

3. Every time you plug the mod into the pc to change settings or upload a new profile or whatever, it starts charging the batteries. I'm no expert here but it can't be good to do that too many times, giving it a 5 or 10 minute charge while the batteries are only at 70 or 80% o_O

4. I'm used to clicking the fire button 5 times to turn a device off, doing this only locks the device and the screen stays on and still reacts to button presses.

5. If you've set up a TC profile and set the screen to show the Temperature setting and decide to use a kanthal build on a different profile the screen info doesn't change, you will just get ---C which to me is a waste of space, I'd like to be able to set that section of the screen to show Amp Draw instead when in a power profile.

I do hope that these things get updated in the software soon because I'm starting to wonder if the RX200 wouldn't have been a better choice for me.

Overall I am really enjoying the Rolo, I like the weight, I like the shape, I like the ridiculous amount of power under the hood, I like that I have been vaping on a 0.35 dual claptonned TFV4 at 65W since last night and the batteries are still at 3/4 full.

I've been playing with this mod for 2 days now, I haven't really gone into too much detail with the Escribe software just yet, just playing with the simpler stuff. This is in no way a detailed review, it's just my initial impressions, you guys are more than welcome to chip in and give your thoughts and findings too.

View attachment 39927

Firstly, the build quality is great. Right out of the sturdy black box you can see that this is a premium quality mod, it feels great and the paint finish is flawless, the gunmetal grey paint is especially nice with it's shimmering but not overdone glittery effect. The mod feels solid even without batteries installed. Once the batteries are loaded up it really does put on some weight, but in a good way. Flinging this at someone will do damage.

View attachment 39929

Every atty that I've tried on it fits well and snuggles comfortably in the slightly recessed juice well. The magnets on the door hold on like sh!t to a sheep's ass. The one top corner of the battery cover sits slightly proud of the main body on mine, very slightly, it doesn't bother me. Wiggling the door around on mine produced no movement in any direction and absolutely no rattle whatsoever, that thing is on there!

View attachment 39928

I installed 3 brand new 25R's in mine, the very last cell to go in wouldn't make contact because that little safety ring thingie on the battery sled touched the insulator on the battery, it looks like that little plastic ring is supposed to slip inside of the battery wrap. A bit of wiggling and spinning of the battery seems to have sorted the issue out though.

View attachment 39926

Now, on to some of the stuff that I found very disappointing, things that I should have found out about first but kinda expected to be standard on a device in this price bracket. These things may not bother others or may just be minor nuisances but these things bug me. I realize that they are not limited to this mod only but are limitations of the DNA200 chipset.

1. You can't set up a power curve for Kanthal, so you can't set an initial boost of power to warm up your coil quicker. So if you set your dual clapton build to 100W you will get it.....eventually. There are no "Soft, Normal, Hard" modes like on the SX Mini and you can't set up a curve like most Smok devices.

2. I can't find a way to change the temperature limit on the mod, it has to be done on your pc and then uploaded onto the mod. So if you set up your profile for a Nickel build at 60W and 230C you may be happy with it but an hour or two later you're away from your pc and feel the need to up it to say 250C you're screwed, all you can do on the mod is change the wattage setting.

3. Every time you plug the mod into the pc to change settings or upload a new profile or whatever, it starts charging the batteries. I'm no expert here but it can't be good to do that too many times, giving it a 5 or 10 minute charge while the batteries are only at 70 or 80% o_O

4. I'm used to clicking the fire button 5 times to turn a device off, doing this only locks the device and the screen stays on and still reacts to button presses.

5. If you've set up a TC profile and set the screen to show the Temperature setting and decide to use a kanthal build on a different profile the screen info doesn't change, you will just get ---C which to me is a waste of space, I'd like to be able to set that section of the screen to show Amp Draw instead when in a power profile.

I do hope that these things get updated in the software soon because I'm starting to wonder if the RX200 wouldn't have been a better choice for me.

Overall I am really enjoying the Rolo, I like the weight, I like the shape, I like the ridiculous amount of power under the hood, I like that I have been vaping on a 0.35 dual claptonned TFV4 at 65W since last night and the batteries are still at 3/4 full.

il go buy an RX now ! and swap... sounds like a plan buddy :)

View attachment 39927

View attachment 39929

View attachment 39928

View attachment 39926

so a quick question..... how long exactly as you saying before my claptons get the 100w? i understand there is no immediate PUNCH! of power but it is a noticeable lag or an acceptable ramp up time

so a quick question..... how long exactly as you saying before my claptons get the 100w? i understand there is no immediate PUNCH! of power but it is a noticeable lag or an acceptable ramp up time
Keep in mind that my regular devices usually run the Bellus, Goblin, Billow v2 etc with 0.4 ohm dual coil builds so I'm used to instant power. I'm using the CLP2 coil that came with the TFV4 mini, it's the ramp up time that I was hoping to beat with the Rolo. There isn't any lag as such.

@BumbleBee , In the Reuleaux box, there's a little postage stamp size manual the folds out, it will help with some of the basic DNA-noob issues you're having.

@BumbleBee , In the Reuleaux box, there's a little postage stamp size manual the folds out, it will help with some of the basic DNA-noob issues you're having.
Ha! When all else fails, read the manual. I did that earlier and figured out how to change the temp on the mod, happy day! :D

You need to lock the mod (5 clicks) then hold the up and down buttons to get to the temp adjust setting :)

Great write up and photos @BumbleBee - thanks for sharing!

Was going to say, not being able to change the temp on a temp control mod sounded really dumb of them.
Glad you got that bit sorted!

The down button on my DNA200 was sticking but now seems to be working fine again. For a short while it would not spring back and ran the wattage down to 1.0W even after I let go. Not good for a brand new device.

Mine worked 100% right out the box. No problems at all. I love this thing. :p

Thanks @BumbleBee. Here are some points from an ECF member:

Kind of important to know how you typically vape. I have a SXmini M and a DNA 200 as comparison. I don't anticipate any major improvements with the ML over the SXmini m tbh just more features possibly more ram and perhaps a faster cpu but I think for all practical purposes it will be hard to tell the difference on the vaping experience between the two. As to the software I'll be gutted if the functions or settings become unavailable on the device like the DNA board is and only accessible through the PC.

If you always vape high power the ML may not be for you. Max single cell is 75W / Joule, it may benefit you to wait for custom dual battery build or other higher powered device if you typically vape higher power than that.

My experiences between the SXmini M & DNA 200

SXmini m
Vaping experience: Easy to setup and get going, intuitive menu system, throw atty on and start vaping adjust as needed
Consistency: Has always vaped exactly like it did when setup no fluctuations
Accuracy: Very accurate no problems with over or under power deviating from settings
Ease of use: Set it and forget it tank after tank
Portability: Easily portable in the front pocket. All settings can be adjusted on the device, Some have found it to be too heavy for them though.
Reliability: Very few failures reported across the forums

DNA200
Vaping experience: Very limited in functionality out of the box. Non-intuitive 3 button access to the limited settings available on the device, Setup Escribe on PC, Create and upload profiles, set Preheat, tweak and tune as needed.

Consistency: Inconsistent Preheat providing a lot of vapor on initial pull then less on subsequent back to back pulls, Ohm's Lock may unlock if resistance changes, Refinement may cause skewed readings of the coil resistance causing either an anemic or burnt hit, Profile settings and TCR may be ignored if the board doesn't like how the coil changed resistance on firing and go into Power mode.

Accuracy: Due to the consistency it makes the board perform inaccurate unless specific conditions are met.

Ease of use: Required a couple changes in how I vaped due to some negative reinforcement via dry hits burnt coils. Prior to vaping make sure the resistance hasn't changed if not Ohm Locked especially if going between different environmental temperature changes (inside/outside) , Fire the device to make sure it will stay in the selected profile if running in Temp mode prior to vaping.

Portability: Only if you always have Set Profiles and the same coils sizes, wire types and know you won't need to make adjustments to Preheat or will have access to Escribe.

Reliability: Numerous failures reported from most all makers. Resolution is often Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA).

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...sx-mini-ml-class.699844/page-20#post-16949182

Last edited:
Thanks @BumbleBee. Here is some points from an ECF member:

Kind of important to know how you typically vape. I have a SXmini M and a DNA 200 as comparison. I don't anticipate any major improvements with the ML over the SXmini m tbh just more features possibly more ram and perhaps a faster cpu but I think for all practical purposes it will be hard to tell the difference on the vaping experience between the two. As to the software I'll be gutted if the functions or settings become unavailable on the device like the DNA board is and only accessible through the PC.

If you always vape high power the ML may not be for you. Max single cell is 75W / Joule, it may benefit you to wait for custom dual battery build or other higher powered device if you typically vape higher power than that.

My experiences between the SXmini M & DNA 200

SXmini m
Vaping experience: Easy to setup and get going, intuitive menu system, throw atty on and start vaping adjust as needed
Consistency: Has always vaped exactly like it did when setup no fluctuations
Accuracy: Very accurate no problems with over or under power deviating from settings
Ease of use: Set it and forget it tank after tank
Portability: Easily portable in the front pocket. All settings can be adjusted on the device, Some have found it to be too heavy for them though.
Reliability: Very few failures reported across the forums

DNA200
Vaping experience: Very limited in functionality out of the box. Non-intuitive 3 button access to the limited settings available on the device, Setup Escribe on PC, Create and upload profiles, set Preheat, tweak and tune as needed.

Consistency: Inconsistent Preheat providing a lot of vapor on initial pull then less on subsequent back to back pulls, Ohm's Lock may unlock if resistance changes, Refinement may cause skewed readings of the coil resistance causing either an anemic or burnt hit, Profile settings and TCR may be ignored if the board doesn't like how the coil changed resistance on firing and go into Power mode.

Accuracy: Due to the consistency it makes the board perform inaccurate unless specific conditions are met.

Ease of use: Required a couple changes in how I vaped due to some negative reinforcement via dry hits burnt coils. Prior to vaping make sure the resistance hasn't changed if not Ohm Locked especially if going between different environmental temperature changes (inside/outside) , Fire the device to make sure it will stay in the selected profile if running in Temp mode prior to vaping.

Portability: Only if you always have Set Profiles and the same coils sizes, wire types and know you won't need to make adjustments to Preheat or will have access to Escribe.

Reliability: Numerous failures reported from most all makers. Resolution is often Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA).

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...sx-mini-ml-class.699844/page-20#post-16949182
Thanks @Andre, a lot of that confirms my initial experience. I've already had a dry hit on my dual nickel build, I purposefully let the tank run dry to see what it would do, bam.... fire :mad: Not sure if it's my build, wicking or the device, I'll play with it later as I've left it charging at home.

Triggered my order on a ROLO last night, from @KieranD at Vapecartel. (been wanting to get some gear from him for a while now, but things just never aligned right on both sides - ala Vaporshark...)
Smashed an atty, batteries, and Ni wire in there for good measure...

@Andre - I have read through a lot of posts and comments like that on quite a few forums. The thing that hits my brain everytime is how almost every YT-reviewer out there has stated that this will not be a good toy for beginners, as it specifically designed with enthusiasts in mind...

Can't blame Evolv if the product they designed for a different market-scope doesnt work too well for people in other market-scopes...

That said, I'm pretty sure that it won't be very long before we see the DNA40 get upgraded/updated/replaced to a 60-80W with some more of the nice features off the DNA200 design, but coming in as more user-friendly.

Hey guys

Picked up a Rolo at the Vapemeet from @KieranD.... and then headed to an excessively boring conference in Durban, so my time has been limited (despite going to sleep each night at 2am+ due to tinkering)...

Here are some initial thoughts. I might write up a full review a bit later. My best comparison will be to the SMOK XCube2. I've been running it with a few different tanks and drippers, over a quite wide range of vaping capabilities.

The construction of the Reuleaux is great. It feels great, and it is surprisingly easy to forget there's 3 batteries in there. The buttons click very satisfyingly, and the display is very clear. I've been using the in-built charger, since I only have a charger taking 2 batts, but it seems to work very great. (I've been monitoring the charging specs through EScribe... and yeah, it limits whatever input you give it to 1.0 A max, which is good, and it is very clearly visible how it balances the input voltage on the three batteries in real time).

That said, it is NOT a device for beginners. Even beginners who might want a high powered (160W +) TC device. The customizability on the mod is staggering, but the menu on the device is annoying and very limited.

Cons:
The lack of ramp-up time for Kanthal (Power) mode is very dissapointing, and given the power of the chip and software, I'm very surprised that they didn't include it. It makes me want to stop using Claptons and move over to only TC wires. In comparison, the SMOK have decent settings for ramp-up time in Wattage mode.

The menu interface is ridiculous. Lack of memory features for Wattage mode is very unfortunate, and changing wattage is a pain - initial change is super slow, but then ramps up way too fast. Again, in comparison, the SMOK lets you set quick references in Memory mode for desired wattages.

No off-functionality - only locking. Probably not a big problem, but I like knowing my device is off...

Pros:
EScribe. It is genuinely fantastic. I had quite a number of initial problems trying to get a Ti build correctly sensing, and getting the power/ramp-up power/temp/initial ohm right.

So I spent a lot of time in the diagnostics window. It is great - there is really nothing like it. You can watch your temp change as you vape, without activating temp-limiting. Doing so let me tweak absolutely how I wanted to set my TCR profile. In the end I played around to get the utmost perfect TCR for my exact build and wire. There is no way that a linear TCR curve, or even a Steam-engine produced one could match what I got in the end. I feel like cloud-chasing in TC mode, which is a first for me. In addition, SS was (up till now) a pain for me to get right in TC mode - I've melted two wires before. However, Escribe allows for very, very good SS TC - if you are willing to do many diagnostics. I'm also now considering more interesting Ti/SS builds due to this functionality.

The resistance checker (and atomizer analyser) is very accurate, considerbly more so than any other device that I own. It is accurate to 3 decimals... quite nice.

Initial cold-resistance modifier works nicely, and I haven't once needed to lock in a resistance - something which I consider a very weak solution.

The battery analyser works great, and is worth a big time investment to do once. I'll check when my batteries start losing lifetime power exactly how useful this is, but it does allow me much more accurate control and info on my batteries' actual usage and safety.

Playing around with the display settings is also nice. It took me a long while to figure out how to display watt-hours/input current while charging directly on the mod, but figured it out eventually. Changing what to display while firing is quite nice.

The profiles for each atty is very nice. Once you have a build/settings figured out, just changing profiles is a nice feature. To the point that I'm now just carrying loaded tanks around instead of one tank with a bunch of juice like I did in the past.

Finally, battery life is nice to have...

Conclusion...

This is a great, experienced TC device. It is a weak high-powered wattage device, and it is definitely not for beginners.
But if you invest time into her, she'll reward you exponentially! I am really not sad that I invested - even though I was at the beginning. (It was a euphoric Vapemeet decision...)

I also hope for strong community engagement with it - suggest a build and upload the exact settings for it. Hopefully it will catch on.

If you are on the fence, please reply/PM me and I can provide more info!

Btw guys... I've played with this thing quite a bit. I've also watched all the tutorial videos, and downloaded the entire Internet looking for info. I'm in no way an expert, but I can do a tutorial if anybody is struggling with this great mod and need a bit of advice!

Btw guys... I've played with this thing quite a bit. I've also watched all the tutorial videos, and downloaded the entire Internet looking for info. I'm in no way an expert, but I can do a tutorial if anybody is struggling with this great mod and need a bit of advice!

By all means Ezekiel post the tutorial. No need to stand on ceremony, would love some advice. I must however point out that I myself am no novice with this device! For example the first step is to carefully remove the device from the box it arrives in. That explains the most important step of all. You can take it from here Ezekiel

Thanks for your input @Ezekiel :)

I haven't played with mine since I initially set it up, still have to play with the analysis parts of escribe when I have some time to myself again. So far I am really enjoying my Rolo, well except for that annoying lack of a Kanthal booster.

By all means Ezekiel post the tutorial. No need to stand on ceremony, would love some advice. I must however point out that I myself am no novice with this device! For example the first step is to carefully remove the device from the box it arrives in. That explains the most important step of all. You can take it from here Ezekiel
Damn!! Thats what I was doing wrong all the time... gosh.

Ill give it a shot after another build or two!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Hey guys

Picked up a Rolo at the Vapemeet from @KieranD.... and then headed to an excessively boring conference in Durban, so my time has been limited (despite going to sleep each night at 2am+ due to tinkering)...

Here are some initial thoughts. I might write up a full review a bit later. My best comparison will be to the SMOK XCube2. I've been running it with a few different tanks and drippers, over a quite wide range of vaping capabilities.

The construction of the Reuleaux is great. It feels great, and it is surprisingly easy to forget there's 3 batteries in there. The buttons click very satisfyingly, and the display is very clear. I've been using the in-built charger, since I only have a charger taking 2 batts, but it seems to work very great. (I've been monitoring the charging specs through EScribe... and yeah, it limits whatever input you give it to 1.0 A max, which is good, and it is very clearly visible how it balances the input voltage on the three batteries in real time).

That said, it is NOT a device for beginners. Even beginners who might want a high powered (160W +) TC device. The customizability on the mod is staggering, but the menu on the device is annoying and very limited.

Cons:
The lack of ramp-up time for Kanthal (Power) mode is very dissapointing, and given the power of the chip and software, I'm very surprised that they didn't include it. It makes me want to stop using Claptons and move over to only TC wires. In comparison, the SMOK have decent settings for ramp-up time in Wattage mode.

The menu interface is ridiculous. Lack of memory features for Wattage mode is very unfortunate, and changing wattage is a pain - initial change is super slow, but then ramps up way too fast. Again, in comparison, the SMOK lets you set quick references in Memory mode for desired wattages.

No off-functionality - only locking. Probably not a big problem, but I like knowing my device is off...

Pros:
EScribe. It is genuinely fantastic. I had quite a number of initial problems trying to get a Ti build correctly sensing, and getting the power/ramp-up power/temp/initial ohm right.

So I spent a lot of time in the diagnostics window. It is great - there is really nothing like it. You can watch your temp change as you vape, without activating temp-limiting. Doing so let me tweak absolutely how I wanted to set my TCR profile. In the end I played around to get the utmost perfect TCR for my exact build and wire. There is no way that a linear TCR curve, or even a Steam-engine produced one could match what I got in the end. I feel like cloud-chasing in TC mode, which is a first for me. In addition, SS was (up till now) a pain for me to get right in TC mode - I've melted two wires before. However, Escribe allows for very, very good SS TC - if you are willing to do many diagnostics. I'm also now considering more interesting Ti/SS builds due to this functionality.

The resistance checker (and atomizer analyser) is very accurate, considerbly more so than any other device that I own. It is accurate to 3 decimals... quite nice.

Initial cold-resistance modifier works nicely, and I haven't once needed to lock in a resistance - something which I consider a very weak solution.

The battery analyser works great, and is worth a big time investment to do once. I'll check when my batteries start losing lifetime power exactly how useful this is, but it does allow me much more accurate control and info on my batteries' actual usage and safety.

Playing around with the display settings is also nice. It took me a long while to figure out how to display watt-hours/input current while charging directly on the mod, but figured it out eventually. Changing what to display while firing is quite nice.

The profiles for each atty is very nice. Once you have a build/settings figured out, just changing profiles is a nice feature. To the point that I'm now just carrying loaded tanks around instead of one tank with a bunch of juice like I did in the past.

Finally, battery life is nice to have...

Conclusion...

This is a great, experienced TC device. It is a weak high-powered wattage device, and it is definitely not for beginners.
But if you invest time into her, she'll reward you exponentially! I am really not sad that I invested - even though I was at the beginning. (It was a euphoric Vapemeet decision...)

I also hope for strong community engagement with it - suggest a build and upload the exact settings for it. Hopefully it will catch on.

If you are on the fence, please reply/PM me and I can provide more info!
Awesome review, thanks. Personally, I am glad I did not get one - exactly for the reason that I really do not want to invest that much time to get it right.

a lil update since I've gotten my Rolo.

Very nice, quality built mod. The battery compartment was a bit of a ewww moment.
Everytime I put a battery in or take it out, it rips the sleeve a little bit. Figured that out... (press down on the nobby side with the battery before sliding in the other side).

Setup was a little time-consuming.
Battery curves, wire TCR, case analysis, etc etc.
I am not 100% convinced that I have everything "just right" yet... even at 480F the vape still feels a little cold.
I'm pretty sure this is related to wire TCR...

Had a small problem with charging... not sure if battery or mod problem, but will test further before i can say with finality that X or Y is to blame...

Overall, I am enjoying this mod. Paired it with a Aromamizer RDTA - currently built with 28ga Ni200, dual coil, 0.053ohm.

I will say this again though... This is DEFINITELY NOT a beginner/novice device!
For those cases I would feel a whole lot more confident recommending something else, like SX Mini M, or Vaporshark DNA40, etc.

Damn... played with my battery graph but got it way off... I've now been vaping at zero battery life for the last hour supposedly...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Back