Years Of Smoking

Gizmo

Catalyst
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Vendor
LV

Awards
How many years have you guys had been smoking before switching to ecigs.

I started around age 13, nothing serious just the odd smoke. I really took at around 17 where it was every weekend and by 19 it was pretty much daily. Stopped when I was 25. So year 12 years.. :(

Last edited:
i started in grade 7 (yes, primary school), and switched at the age of 30.

so thats a good ol 18 years of cigarettes.

Started at 22 - for 25 years - pack a day of the rough stuff - Winston and later Marlboro

Now I feel like an Idiot... I started at age 12 (thanks to my older brother CraftyZA), also just the odd one every other day, but by high school it was everyday. I switched 6 months ago at age 33, meaning 21 long years. That also means that was a smoker for longer in my life than I was a nonsmoker. Partially also why I struggled to just quit. It meant giving up a part of my personality (which i quite liked at the time). With E-cigs I just convinced myself that I switched brands... so in a way I didnt have to give up that part of my life, just make it healtier...

Started at 13, daily smoker by mid 14, quit at 35
How many years is that?
Minus about 2 years i managed to quit for a while until one fateful night in a pub in 2008... It just smelled so good!!

I started at age 20 and smoked 20 pd plus 1 zol per night. Actually I smoked 1 zol per night since age 18.
Got myself married at 27 and my parental brain kicked in and left the latter but upped my smokes to 30 pd.
Carried on for another 30 years until 29 months ago when I got me a good dose of lung infection and nearly pegged. Cough was so bad that some ribs literately popped off the surrounding flesh. Made a loud pop sound and I fell to the floor.
That was the last analogue I had.

That's intense story Johnny glad to see you found a great alternative

had a few smokes in my teens, started really smoking around age 25, mostly stopped now, so thats about 12 years of smoking

Started smoking around St 6, what's that Gr 8 so around 13/14 smoked till I was 24 quit for 9 months when I was pregnant with my daughter, started again till age 34 for 9 months, pregnant with my son vaping on and off for about 6 months so what is that roughly 22 years...wow that's a long time

Mmm, started messing with cigs at age 10.. puff, puff, burn the net curtain, puff puff. Started smoking loose ones daily in Std 7/Grd 9, age 13. Stopped age 15 to 18. From 19, point of no return till six months ago. So a total of 22 years avg. 25 cigs/day, ending with Winston Red Slide. Yep, about a R160 000+ up in smoke, pardon the punn :rolleyes:

I started at about age 21. It was at my second job. I was stressed out so a friend said come outside, have a smoke with me and it will calm you down. Ha ha. It did and i enjoyed it.

Since then, i smoked for 18 years about 20 cigs a day. Rothmans blue, then switched to Rothmans Red.

Had my last analog on 28 Oct 2013 after vaping for a week or so. I couldnt bear the taste of a real cig, so decided to only vape since that day. So far its been great. Am loving it. Just hope it lasts. Havent had much difficulty sticking to vaping so far

If you can stock to vaping for 3 day, then cigs is over. It will taste crap after this!

Started when I was 15, most of the time it was a pack a day, unless I was stressed out. Then it was about 30 cigs a day.
so, that makes it 32 years for me :(
I had a break from it about 8 years ago, for 16 months, until a big stress build up made me smoke again. At that time I stopped with the help of acupuncture (and a good amount of willpower...).

I really believe that vaping is the most effective way, because I still enjoy the ritual of puffing away, and that is still there with it.

Cripes I have to say about 22 years with a couple of gaps in between. Them boom 2 days after my 40th birthday I had a heart attack and that was it for me an stinkies. So glad to say ive been a ex smoker for 7 months now and going strong. Its actually amazing to me now how bad smokers can smell. Vaping has been the best quitting tool I've ever seen.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

16 years here, It's really easy to quit, I did it about 10 times.:D Atleast this time, it is much easier. I love my vaping hobby!

16 years here, It's really easy to quit, I did it about 10 times.:D Atleast this time, it is much easier. I love my vaping hobby!
Well I don't think i can start again. In August I was out hunt g the whole day one saturday, when i forgot my mod at camp the morning. So by saying that by 4pm i was craving would be an under statement. I then took a drag from a friend. Nearly puked my lungs out. Yip, at that moment I knew that I made the home run!

Well I don't think i can start again. In August I was out hunt g the whole day one saturday, when i forgot my mod at camp the morning. So by saying that by 4pm i was craving would be an under statement. I then took a drag from a friend. Nearly puked my lungs out. Yip, at that moment I knew that I made the home run!
One could call that a "eureka" moment. Personally I am just too afraid to even try that.

One day when you are brave you should - imagine a smelly ashtray, now add some nail polish remover and burnt paper with a hint of kakhibos

:)

I started at the age of 14 and after 28 years of smoking ended up at a 40+ per day smoker. That was until 2.5 months ago, when on a whim popped into a tobacconist shop while mall crawling and picked up a starter kit. Fortunately it stuck and I have made the switch completely. Unfortunately my wife has struggled and has stuck with her Kent Whites. OMG she stinks!!:p

I started at the age of 14 and after 28 years of smoking ended up at a 40+ per day smoker. That was until 2.5 months ago, when on a whim popped into a tobacconist shop while mall crawling and picked up a starter kit. Fortunately it stuck and I have made the switch completely. Unfortunately my wife has struggled and has stuck with her Kent Whites. OMG she stinks!!:p
Awesome. Give HRH time and patience, she will come around.

Very curious Mathee :) I see you referring to woman as HRH all the time? Does it stand for Her royal highness??
Only if referring to your wife/female partner or someone else's wife/female partner, yes, absolutely! You are or should be HRH to your partner! Always in capital letters, even if written out - Her Royal Highness:D.

Back