Augvape Merlin Mini RTA

MerLin Mini test drive begins... Single Coil deck fitted... air hole wide open... 24g Ni 80 7 wraps 3mm 0.57Ω Wicked with Fibre Freaks Cotton Blend on top of the Stab Wood Ohmsmium 80W with XXX in the tank!
View attachment 77003 View attachment 77004

Great to see @Rob Fisher !

Which airflow "pin thingie" did you put in? I think the pre-installed one is the largest one and there are two smaller ones. I am interested in trying the smallest one for mouth to lung.

I can't remember now who it was in the shop at Vape Cartel's opening - but he gave me a toot on his - set up for MTL and he had a stainless steel coil in it and was using it in temp control mode - I was quite impressed - was quite tight.

Hi Ho @Silver I have it wide open with no restricting screws... flavour and air flow for a DL is great but I'm fighting with air lock issues. :(

Hi Ho @Silver I have it wide open with no restricting screws... flavour and air flow for a DL is great but I'm fighting with air lock issues. :(

Oh no Rob - if its not the bubble fighting its the dreaded airlock
I hope when I get to mine somehow it plays ball - maybe in MTL mode it will

I solved that by ripping it apart, giving it a thorough clean, and reseated all the o - rings, and using slightly less wicking material than I normally would have.

Flavour profile was a little more subdued, but it solved my issue.

I solved that by ripping it apart, giving it a thorough clean, and reseated all the o - rings, and using slightly less wicking material than I normally would have.

Flavour profile was a little more subdued, but it solved my issue.
I haven't experienced any airlock so far. Mine wicks fine.

I hope when I get to mine somehow it plays ball - maybe in MTL mode it will
At the moment I'm running mine in a MTL setup with the smallest airflow insert/screw and a 1.6 ohm single coil. It's definitely a tight draw and works well as a MTL setup. I like how this tank can be a MTL or DL setup.

At the moment I'm running mine in a MTL setup with the smallest airflow insert/screw and a 1.6 ohm single coil. It's definitely a tight draw and works well as a MTL setup. I like how this tank can be a MTL or DL setup.

Music to my ears @daniel craig
Thanks

Definitely tighter than any RTA I've tried. I have the previous Merlin and this mini is a tighter draw than that. I'm loving this MTL setup

I think thats how I would like to run it too!
In MTL mode - with a high ohm coil like yours - with stronger juice

PS - what type of coil did you put in there if I may ask?

I just need to get some stronger juice. I'm using 6mg and it isn't even tickling me gonna need a 9 or 12mg.

Oh yes - without question
12mg all the way!
What are your coil specs in there?
And what juice are you vaping on?

Oh yes - without question
12mg all the way!
What are your coil specs in there?
And what juice are you vaping on?
26g kanthal 7 wrap 3.5mm ID single coil, reads at 1.16 ohms. I had some 70/30 3mg DIY juice but it was way too weak so decided to use my 60/40 6mg XXX in it. It vapes really well, flavor isn't as good as when I had removed the airflow insert but that's probably because of my coil and 20w where as before I had a twisted clapton at 40w.

26g kanthal 7 wrap 3.5mm ID single coil, reads at 1.16 ohms. I had some 70/30 3mg DIY juice but it was way too weak so decided to use my 60/40 6mg XXX in it. It vapes really well, flavor isn't as good as when I had removed the airflow insert but that's probably because of my coil and 20w where as before I had a twisted clapton at 40w.

Thanks @daniel craig

I need to still try this tank - and will still get to it

I have found though that for MTL the thinner wires and high mg 50/50 juices work best -
I like it crisp

Will see how this goes and report back when i get to it

Thanks @daniel craig

I need to still try this tank - and will still get to it

I have found though that for MTL the thinner wires and high mg 50/50 juices work best -
I like it crisp

Will see how this goes and report back when i get to it

I will definitely be playing around more with this single coil. I had some 32g but that seems way too thin to use. I'll get some 28g some time this week and give it a try again. I agree on the 50/50 ratio. I had no intention of testing out MTL because the DL worked so well. I will definitely be testing it at MTL in its favor with 28g wire; 50/50 mix and see how it performs.

I will definitely be playing around more with this single coil. I had some 32g but that seems way too thin to use. I'll get some 28g some time this week and give it a try again. I agree on the 50/50 ratio. I had no intention of testing out MTL because the DL worked so well. I will definitely be testing it at MTL in its favor with 28g wire; 50/50 mix and see how it performs.

I will do so too and let you know
Then we can compare notes
Maybe I will go 28g 7 or 8 wraps - say 2mm ID - around 1.3 ohms I estimate

Hey @daniel craig, any tips you have to avoid leaking? I just got this tank today and its leaked every single time I wicked it:-@

Disclaimer: first time Rta owner:wasntme:
Could you post a picture of your wicking? Since its your first time with an RTA, I would assume you are using too little cotton. I will post a picture just now of what my wicking looks like.

Could you post a picture of your wicking? Since its your first time with an RTA, I would assume you are using too little cotton. I will post a picture just now of what my wicking looks like.

I thought it could be that and on the third try I loaded the cotton and still not joy. Pics below..

Attachments

• IMG_8813.JPG
    IMG_8813.JPG
    337.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8814.JPG
    IMG_8814.JPG
    372.5 KB · Views: 29
@Faheem777 This is how I do my wicking.
5d3854c15c248d34e71ce6ed793ac325.jpg

a84658013fb263b27cf34bf60afd6876.jpg

432d0beb4915f2f6a250ea4b841d8dbf.jpg

394b1c84eae38440ae69834744f2da53.jpg

The wicks should be slightly tight in the coil with a little tension when you pulling it through. It shouldn't be too tight that you have to use a lot of force to thread the cotton through or too loose that it threads in freely but rather it should have a little tension. After threading the cotton through the coil and cutting the cotton, be sure to to tuck the wicks in and it should block the juice flow holes as shown in picture 3. Using this method, I have gotten 0 leaks and 0 dry hits.

@Faheem777 This is how I do my wicking.
5d3854c15c248d34e71ce6ed793ac325.jpg

a84658013fb263b27cf34bf60afd6876.jpg

432d0beb4915f2f6a250ea4b841d8dbf.jpg

394b1c84eae38440ae69834744f2da53.jpg

The wicks should be slightly tight in the coil with a little tension when you pulling it through. It shouldn't be too tight that you have to use a lot of force to thread the cotton through or too loose that it threads in freely but rather it should have a little tension. After threading the cotton through the coil and cutting the cotton, be sure to to tuck the wicks in and it should block the juice flow holes as shown in picture 3. Using this method, I have gotten 0 leaks and 0 dry hits.

Thanks for the pics @daniel craig! I'm gonna give it another try now. One more question if you don't mind me asking, do you cut of 2/3 of the wick tails like what the guys have been doing with the SM25?

@Faheem777 It seem that what you did was try to get the cotton to stick out of the juice holes rather than just block them.
fbf91c2e35d0708b83a5098fcd2371ae.jpg

The areas circled in blue show the areas that you didn't cover with cotton. What you seem to have did was tuck the cotton in and through the juice holes rather than just get them to sit behind and block the juice holes. If you refer to my pics above you'll see that I don't have the wicks sticking out of the juice holes but rather I have them just blocking it. If you look closely where you tuck the wicks at the Base, you'll see some kind of cup. This area should be covered with wicks.

Back