Bad news on LG HG2s

Question, not sure if it was discussed, but these clones/counterfeits. Are they actually cells produced for the pure fact of being sold off as the orginals. Or are they cheap batteries bought for cents, and rewrapped for another couple of cents, and then sold for little bit more than a couple of rands?

No matter which it is, it is a PITA.

EDIT: @Feliks Karp answered while I was busy typing it seems

My guess is that they are mass produced and wrapped differently. So the same batteries used in laptop battery packs, battery banks, torches and sold loose (and bought for vaping purposes) - same battery, different wrap

I saw one of the write ups even had them re-wrapping an HE2 and passing it off as an HG2!

I saw one of the write ups even had them re-wrapping an HE2 and passing it off as an HG2!

That is actually not so bad, as the amp rating is almost the same, but the mAh differs about 500mAh, so not so dangerous, but still ethically wrong.

Attachments

• HE2 HG2 compare (resized).jpg
    HE2 HG2 compare (resized).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 24
Ironically its the mythical reputation and popularity of these batteries that created the counterfeit market for them, same happened to Sony. The hype demand raised prices to the point where there is now a nice niche profit margin for counterfeiters to operate in. I think today there are actually more fake Sony batteries in circulation than original Sony 18650s and it looks like the HG2 is catching up fast on that score .. :-(

That is actually not so bad, as the amp rating is almost the same, but the mAh differs about 500mAh, so not so dangerous, but still ethically wrong.
Imagine they used fake HE2 cells to make the fake HG2 cells! :-D

Imagine they used fake HE2 cells to make the fake HG2 cells! :-D
I believe that actually did happen. Started producing fake HE4's (and possibly HE2's?) for use in fake HG2's. There was some info going around when that issue became known on the forum.

I believe that actually did happen. Started producing fake HE4's (and possibly HE2's?) for use in fake HG2's. There was some info going around when that issue became known on the forum.
Tjerrrr!

Back