Coil life

Jakey

Reonaut ;)
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
read on another thread that some of you manage to get an increadible life cycle out if a single coil, HOW?? Is it purely the wire being used? The UD and geekvape wire i use last a staggering 2 - 3 days . After a dry burn they gunk up faster than than it took me to clean them

read on another thread that some of you manage to get an increadible life cycle out if a single coil, HOW?? Is it purely the wire being used? The UD and geekvape wire i use last a staggering 2 - 3 days . After a dry burn they gunk up faster than than it took me to clean them
Also want to know the answer to this one. I can run a 20g Nichrome build for two wicks maximum but anything else I change the wick, I change the whole build.

I buils a ud ssteel 24ga in my first sm25 almost 2 months ago.

Still vaping that same coil. 2nd wick. Same juice.

Sent from my Serpent Minikin

My Findings is SS gunk up really fast.
For me using either 26g kanthal for my single coil rta work well and on bigger build decks ive been using 24 nichrome. I rewick once a week and coils last me 2 months+

I dry burn every time i rewick the old fashion way not using water and just blow the gunk with pure lung power.

Rewicking offten (once a week and dry burning properly is key)

Remember we working with metal and metal rusts with time so dry burning is really important to make sure all moisture is removed from the coil.

Stainless steel coils last the longest. I prefer the flavour produced from them the best as well.

Here is a very interesting summary to read regarding a lot of the aspects surrounding sub-ohm vaping.

Agree 100%
Stailess do last the longest cause they dont rust. Only issue i had with stailess i had to rewick 3 times a wick because of coil gunking up super fast.

I have had the same experience as @boxerulez. Simple contact coils in SS or Ni80 last me months, with occasional rewicking every month or so. I don't get any flavour improvement from re-coiling or re-wicking. Quite the contrary, it takes several hours for the new coil and wick to reach the same flavour intensity as the old.

Wow i really need to sit with somebody then, i have an ss coil in my rda atm, two days in and the coil has gone tk sh@! If i dry burn and rewick itl be back to this condition within a day, doesnt matter the juice i use

image.jpg This is a two day old stainless steel build

Might wattage be a factor? My coils start out like Mustrum's but must at some point look like yours. I drip through the drip tip so I don't inspect coils regularly. But I only rewick once a month and my coils look much like yours when I rewick. However, the flavour isn't killed for me. As I said, it takes a few hours on the new wick (and/or new coils) to get the flavour up to where it was prior to rewicking.

I vape at around 40W (dual Ni80 coils at 0.4Ω) and have never had a burnt taste, even with coils that are totally gunked up. My cotton is also never burnt even though I don't use TC ever. It gets discoloured from the colouring in the juice but never burnt. I also tend to avoid Sweetener in my DIY juices, which might help with coil gunking/burnt taste.

Last edited:
Might wattage be a factor? My coils start out like Mustrum's but must at some point look like yours. I drip through the drip tip so I don't inspect coils regularly. But I only rewick once a month and my coils look much like yours when I rewick. However, the flavour isn't killed for me. As I said, it takes a few hours on the new wick (and/or new coils) to get the flavour up to where it was prior to rewicking.

I vape at around 40W (dual Ni80 coils at 0.4Ω) and have never had a burnt taste, even with coils that are totally gunked up. My cotton is also never burnt even though I don't use TC ever. It gets discoloured from the colouring in the juice but never burnt. I also tend to avoid Sweetener in my DIY juices, which might help with coil gunking/burnt taste.
So this is after two days @37watts on a 0.35 stainless stell build, dry burning it never gets the coils to be all shiny again, they have a tusted look after just three days

OK, if that's at 37W then I'm stumped. The lack of shine is not major imo, even just pulsing my coils to ensure even glow after installation takes the shine off them. But the burnt taste is a mystery and just wrong. I've used both Geekvape and UD wire and prefer the Geekvape. But it's not a chalk and cheese thing, it's not like the UD gives me massive problems that the Geekvape solves. I just think the Geekvape holds better over time.

View attachment 78315 This is a two day old stainless steel build

The difference between your coils and @Mustrum Ridcully is his are spaced and yours are compressed.
Much hotter core temps result from compressed coils caramelising the juice which gives the burnt flavour and soon leads to a caramel scale buildup that isolates the juice from the coil.

The difference between your coils and @Mustrum Ridcully is his are spaced and yours are compressed.
Much hotter core temps result from compressed coils caramelising the juice which gives the burnt flavour and soon leads to a caramel scale buildup that isolates the juice from the coil.
Been battling like crazy to keep these 20g coils compressed properly. Will wrap fine but every second build or so they space out after pulsing. I do not always like this, they space out just enough to cause some serious spitback, so more of a fail at compressed coils than intentional spacing. Advice on how to prevent this would be killer, I like very quick 1 second or less high power hits so compressed is better, no spitback. Spaced coils suddenly getting all of 150w up the yahoo tend to complain about it on occasion.

I found that having spaced coils dont gunk up so fast as the contact coils that i some times build and i also vape high vg juices that has this bad habbed of realy gunking a coil fast.

So i get why some coils would gunk up quick, but im stilled baffled by the difference in mine lasting 2-3 days as opposed to some people sitting at 3 months......

So i get why some coils would gunk up quick, but im stilled baffled by the difference in mine lasting 2-3 days as opposed to some people sitting at 3 months......

That doesnt sound right @Jakey
Maybe there is something wrong with the wire you are using

My coils are mainly Kanthal or NI80

I vape on about 5 or 6 devices at one time and most of my coils usually last about a month or two.
I find the thicker gauge coils 26g and 24g last longer than the thinner ones

The flavour on a 1 month old coil is still very good - but when I do recoil i can taste it fires better and the flavour is slightly better

That doesnt sound right @Jakey
Maybe there is something wrong with the wire you are using

My coils are mainly Kanthal or NI80

I vape on about 5 or 6 devices at one time and most of my coils usually last about a month or two.
I find the thicker gauge coils 26g and 24g last longer than the thinner ones

The flavour on a 1 month old coil is still very good - but when I do recoil i can taste it fires better and the flavour is slightly better
Im thinking its the wire too, but then Again theres guys here using the same wire and getting much better results, perhaps its the coil builder himself that has the problem.

Being a noob means i have a long way to go compared to some of the experienced guys out there ;)

Im thinking its the wire too, but then Again theres guys here using the same wire and getting much better results, perhaps its the coil builder himself that has the problem.

Being a noob means i have a long way to go compared to some of the experienced guys out there ;)

Still sounds strange
I mean if you attaching the coils properly and firing at the correct wattage - the wire should last longer than 2 or 3 days
Unless you vaping some really wicked coil demolishing juice! But even that shouldnt demolish wire in 2 days

Still sounds strange
I mean if you attaching the coils properly and firing at the correct wattage - the wire should last longer than 2 or 3 days
Unless you vaping some really wicked coil demolishing juice! But even that shouldnt demolish wire in 2 days
Lol im also stumped, honestly in the 3 years ive been vaping i dont remember having this dilemma, cant pin-point which variable has changed, so cant fix the bug.

Back