Constructive suggestions

Any chance we can allow animated signatures? The avatar panel is so big , so obviously size aint a restriction?

Dont know if you can but is there a place i can see my own post or forums that i created. Maybe if you want to edit ot or check if it has realy gine online?
Yes, go to your profile page - hover on your forum name top right and click on "Your Profile Page" near the top. Once there, click on the header "Postings". At the bottom of the page that opens you have the option to see all of your posts (contents) or all of your threads.

Good day.

Is there any chance we can get province specific sub forums. This being my first post I do not want to get into politics nor do I care for it. I have been following this forum for more than a year and only recently signed up.

Reasons for Provincial sub forums: It will be much easier to find vape enthusiasts closer to you. This includes vendors, meets or just people wanting to broaden their horizons. The people in the more isolated / rural areas will benefit greatly on this. Will also be better to plan vape orders, I have yet to receive a over night delivery, my average wait times ranging 3-4 days, once even went on as long as 7 working days.

Also if people are planning to go on a road trip or something similar they can scout the area for shops or get togethers.

Draw backs might include taking traffic away from other topics, but I deem it a worthy sacrifice.

Have a good one

Good day.

Is there any chance we can get province specific sub forums. This being my first post I do not want to get into politics nor do I care for it. I have been following this forum for more than a year and only recently signed up.

Reasons for Provincial sub forums: It will be much easier to find vape enthusiasts closer to you. This includes vendors, meets or just people wanting to broaden their horizons. The people in the more isolated / rural areas will benefit greatly on this. Will also be better to plan vape orders, I have yet to receive a over night delivery, my average wait times ranging 3-4 days, once even went on as long as 7 working days.

Also if people are planning to go on a road trip or something similar they can scout the area for shops or get togethers.

Draw backs might include taking traffic away from other topics, but I deem it a worthy sacrifice.

Have a good one

There probably won't be any less traffic, just way more focused routes, to help us connect with the people we live around?

Good day.

Have a good one

Thanks @PsiSan and welcome to the forum
We will take your comment onboard and discuss with the team
Lots happening at the moment so please be patient ;-)

Thanks @Silver for the welcome, understandable with VapeCon coming up etc. It was simply just a suggestion.:aplastao:

You keep well

Is there any way to set up email alerts for certain posts; eg. post with the text "Cape Town" in Classifieds?

I'm not getting emails from here anymore. Why have you forsaken me?

Hi, I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but maybe have a regional section so that people from different regions can arrange meat ups etc.
Thanks

I very much doubt that one forum will be the winner and the other the loser. Both have lost already.

For every post that says Viva Forum number 1 there will be a counter remark in favour of Forum number 2. Every nasty remark about Forum number 1 will be met with a nasty remark about Forum number 2.

Am I the only one who sees this?

It's simple. Any aggressive comment, either way, should be met with censure.

I think banning is extreme. It is counter productive. It should be a last resort against someone who has no hope of ever contributing positively to the community. The guy's will say the most extreme things while in the middle of an argument. I would say it is similar to a brawl in the pub. Someone says something, someone else takes offense, and now you have pandemonium with all and sundry taking sides, swearing, punching, and so forth. Two hours later, most of the guys are sitting there drinking together with a few protagonists having fled the scene.

Deleting ugly posts will get even the most angry person to actually say what is really bugging him. If the problem is an individual, then a public post is NOT called for, a private message is how you approach an individual.

As for grouping the moderators into one big group. That is hardly fair. They live far and wide. Come from different walks of life. Have different skill sets when moderating too. They are human as well. If you swat them, they will not only duck, they will defend themselves too. They though have the task of trying to calm everyone down.

That is NOT easy here.....

Do I know what I am saying? Maybe.... I was head moderator/manager of a 21 000 member forum in the USA. I am owner of a 3000 member forum in South Africa. I have belonged to many other forums too (very big ones). Events like this always happen. It is not unique. Everyone needs to be respectful to each other. People are people, they will behave differently, the will have different likes, interests, styles, and so forth. Some can simply never tolerate others. Most however can tolerate everyone without a problem.

I agree with @Big B that members should not be banned simply because of an emotional tirade. Rather send them a personal, diplomatic message to cool down. However, there are some circumstances where members should most certainly be banned. For example, a seller selling fake goods (there was a recent post - and banning - about this) or the goods not being what was advertised. I think it's very important for us to be able to trust any sellers on this forum.

By the way

In case you are wondering why I am posting this - it is because I and the team of Admins and Mods genuinely care about this forum.

I know I have personally been guilty in the past of harrassing members to post all the correct info in their Classifieds ads and put in their locations and their avatars - and if that offends you - well then I am sorry - but I genuinely think it adds value. Just on this point for example (which is a fairly trivial thing) - if you feel things should be otherwise, then here is your space to air your views and to explain why you say what you say.
@Silver it's essential that Admin harasses sellers to include all specifications and photos of what they're selling. This is par for the course in today's world of online purchasing.

I would like to say that @Andre idea is an excellent one. One cannot censor people to protect your baby. The baby is now an adult it will survive on its own if you let it.

@Raslin is quite right. Censoring is control and sometimes we have to learn to let go - within reason, which is subjective.

Peeps shouldn't be censored because of WHAT they say, but rather HOW they say it. It's acceptable to have a heated argument; it's not acceptable - or necessary - to become insulting or abusive. However, as I said somewhere above, Admin could send the abusive person a PM asking them to cool down. A friendly message and NOT an authoritarian one, works wonders.

Ok, here goes off the cuff, and in broad inelegant lines:
  1. Ecigssa and Vapehaven become one forum, the name can be discussed (e.g. Ecigssa, your Vapehaven). We are too small to be divided. I can only imagine the extra burden for a vendor to maintain 2 places. And members trying to be at 2 places are not better off in the process imo.
  2. This forum is not to be owned or run in any way by a vendor, if at all possible.
  3. The forum is initially to be run by a team consisting of members of the management teams of both forums. This team shall determine how admins/mods will be elected/chosen in future.
  4. The forum shall be not for profit.
  5. Cost of running the forum shall be by way of fees by supporting vendors.
  6. The rules of the forum shall be set in consultation with members and vendors. Courtesy and respect for one another, whether in a closed forum or in the open forum shall be rules number one to ten.
  7. Major changes to the rules or the way the forum is run or the features of the forum or spending beyond the running of the forum shall not be changed/done unless consulted with both members and vendors.
  8. The rules of the forum shall be applied.
  9. Decisions of admins/mods shall be final and not discussed or debated in the open forum. Maybe an appeal process could be done via PM. Banning, whether permanently or for a period, shall only be effected if a quorum of admins/mods agree.
  10. Admins and mods shall be paid if at all possible.
  11. Finances shall be run transparently, with reporting to members and vendors and with a measure of audit if possible.
  12. ?
  13. ?
  14. ?
  15. ?
I wholeheartedly agree with @Andre .His rule suggestions make sense and are if nothing else fair.It seems that many members desire transparency concerning donations and what they're used for.This is reasonable though I leave it to greater minds than yours truly to sort this matter out.This has crossed my mind but the quality of the administration and the character of the forum members have earned my trust,and hopefully the forum will continue to be my oasis in a world of B.S.So with this trust I log on each day to relax and talk to my forum mates.Vapeing is a major form of relaxation as well as a hobby, an escape if you will and the forum a vehicle to attain such.So far I've seen no evidence (IMO) of malfeasance or dishonesty and until it pokes it's ulgy head I'll continue to enjoy my time logged on.

Last edited:
I would like to suggest changes to the layout of the forum in order to make it more user-friendly.

1) Homepage
The "Create Thread" button" should be at the top of the page, not the bottom.
Rationale: It's a schlepp to scroll down to the bottom of the page.

2) Homepage
Remove the categories of Diamond, Supporting and International vendors and have only one category of "Vendors' Posts" or just "Vendors".
Rationale: Currently a forum user has to go to three different places just to see what the latest is from the vendors' side of the fence. One place would be easy.

3) Homepage
Move all the forum headings i.e. Community, General, Hardware, e-Liquid, Reviews, Private Market to the top of the page, instead of at the bottom where are currently.
Rationale: Makes it easy to find a sub-forum, instead of scrolling down to the bottom of the page where they are currently listed.

4) Homepage - List of New Members

4a) Move the list of new members elsewhere.
Rationale: We automatically start reading from the left-hand margin. If one does that with the current format of the page, it looks as if the new member has posted that which appears to the right of their name.

4b) Instead of just a boring list, give them a 'category' just as Community, General, Hardware etc. are categories.
Rationale: This would resolve the issue in (4a).

4c) Highlight the category name with a vibrant colour (not black as the other categories are). Put some smileys or welcoming gifs on the highlighted bar.
Rationale: Make new members feel good about having joined the forum.

4d) Change "New Members" to "New Members of our ecigssa Family"
Rationale: Psychologically the words "our" and "family" are inclusive and will thus make new members immediately feel that they are part of the ecigssa community.

4e) Within the new members category post a welcoming message to EACH NEW MEMBER, mentioning/tagging them by their forum name. The welcoming letter can be the same for everyone, but it's important to include the member's forum name.
Rationale: An individual message will make the new member feel that their presence is acknowledged in a far more personal way than simply having their name on a list.

5) Creating a new post within a thread
The button currently says "Reply" but it should rather be changed to "Post New Comment" or just "Post". Rationale: "Reply" is confusing, as that is what we use to reply to a person's post in that thread. To post a new thread should therefore have different wording on the button.

6) Search function - Child forum
The search function gives the option of including "child forums". Change the wording!
Rationale: "Child forum" would give someone who is against vaping (and spying to see what's being said) a field day!
Comment: I was shocked, and I still am, to see "Child forum". Children shouldn't be vaping at all, yet here there's a forum specifically for them!? What on earth is the Child forum ?? I'm asking this as a genuine question, as I don't know what the Child Forum is all about, or even where it is. Surely other new members must be as shocked as I am?

And that's it from me!

I would like to suggest changes to the layout of the forum in order to make it more user-friendly.

1) Homepage

2) Homepage
Remove the categories of Diamond, Supporting and International vendors and have only one category of "Vendors' Posts" or just "Vendors".
Rationale: Currently a forum user has to go to three different places just to see what the latest is from the vendors' side of the fence. One place would be easy.

3) Homepage
Move all the forum headings i.e. Community, General, Hardware, e-Liquid, Reviews, Private Market to the top of the page, instead of at the bottom where are currently.
Rationale: Makes it easy to find a sub-forum, instead of scrolling down to the bottom of the page where they are currently listed.

Rationale: We automatically start reading from the left-hand margin. If one does that with the current format of the page, it looks as if the new member has posted that which appears to the right of their name.

4b) Instead of just a boring list, give them a 'category' just as Community, General, Hardware etc. are categories.

4c) Highlight the category name with a vibrant colour (not black as the other categories are). Put some smileys or welcoming gifs on the highlighted bar.

Rationale: Psychologically the words "our" and "family" are inclusive and will thus make new members immediately feel that they are part of the ecigssa community.

4e) Within the new members category post a welcoming message to EACH NEW MEMBER, mentioning/tagging them by their forum name. The welcoming letter can be the same for everyone, but it's important to include the member's forum name.
Rationale: An individual message will make the new member feel that their presence is acknowledged in a far more personal way than simply having their name on a list.

The button currently says "Reply" but it should rather be changed to "Post New Comment" or just "Post". Rationale: "Reply" is confusing, as that is what we use to reply to a person's post in that thread. To post a new thread should therefore have different wording on the button.

The search function gives the option of including "child forums". Change the wording!
Rationale: "Child forum" would give someone who is against vaping (and spying to see what's being said) a field day!
Comment: I was shocked, and I still am, to see "Child forum". Children shouldn't be vaping at all, yet here there's a forum specifically for them!? What on earth is the Child forum ?? I'm asking this as a genuine question, as I don't know what the Child Forum is all about, or even where it is. Surely other new members must be as shocked as I am?

And that's it from me!
That is quite the shopping list. you must have loads of free time on your hand :)

1) Homepage

2) Homepage

3) Homepage

And that's it from me!

Thanks for your comments and all the effort you put in to this @Hooked
We will take your comments onboard and discuss them amongst our team.
I like how you explained it from a new user's point of view because some of us are so used to the forum we sometimes dont see things the same way.

Much appreciated ;-)

I'd like to see a medal for Vapeing Advocate for members that constantly bring important vapeing issues and news to the members.If this already exists please excuse me.If not I'd like to nominate Alex.
I agree with both your suggestion and your nominee. I've read articles posted by @Alex and they're excellent!

It would be helpful if there were a "How to..." somewhere e.g. I want to send a PM to someone but I don't know how to do it. I'm not being hypothetical - I REALLY want to send someone a PM and I REALLY don't know how to!

So, for example, you would have:
How to send a PM - and the instructions
How to sell something - include a link to the correct forum and give instructions e.g. a photo and detailed specs of the item must be included.

I have just one suggestion to bring to the party.

Currently when viewing a thread under the (E.g.) Off Topic category, clicking "home" takes you back to the home page's default category selection "Vape discussions". Would it be possible to return to the category (Vape Discussions, Diamond supporting vendors, ... , Recent, Hot) the previous thread was entered from or have the categories displayed atop each page so one can return to the category of one's choice?

Ok, not a big deal but seeing we are putting in requests...

Regards

I have just one suggestion to bring to the party.

Currently when viewing a thread under the (E.g.) Off Topic category, clicking "home" takes you back to the home page's default category selection "Vape discussions". Would it be possible to return to the category (Vape Discussions, Diamond supporting vendors, ... , Recent, Hot) the previous thread was entered from or have the categories displayed atop each page so one can return to the category of one's choice?

Ok, not a big deal but seeing we are putting in requests...

Regards

Thats a good suggestion @Raindance
Am not sure if that is possible but will note it down for some technical input when we next do some modifications.

For now, perhaps a suggestion (if you are browsing on a PC), keep one window on the home page and when you select one of those threads from say the "off topic" tab, right click (if on Windows) and open it in a new tab/window. Then close that when you finished and your original window/tab will still be on the "off topic" tab.

Back