Does it taste what it says ?

Tiaan Wilters

Experienced Vaper
Supporting Vendor
LV

Awards
Fellow Vapers..

Can't seem to find such a thread, please point me in the direction if there is one ?

So Vape Juices

There is a lot of people springing up recently that don't even know how to make juice , not all eccigssa certified, my personal opinion is existing well known vendors not handling widespread complaints correctly, anyway thats another topic

My issues is juices not tasting what they say, i do understand that everyone has a different taste & factors to keep into mind is vapors tongue, also keeping in mind a juice is how it what it supposed to taste but one bottle is enough & steeping for better or worst etc

Where i live is hard to come by testers, the shop i buy from lets me try out but i obviously cannot expect them to open everything for me, keeping in mind their prices are not overpriced, also the range is not very big

Now ive tried many juices, order online etc and its a lot of them probably from close to 60 different flavours i found 5 including those that "one bottle is enough"

DIY route for single flavours , advice from people on the forum is a no go

If i think back to twisp days, every flavour tasted like what it said, even if i didnt like it, it tasted like what it said, on that note, i wonder what the Orange by Twisp flavours taste like

Am I the only one or are there others out there with the same problem ?

Lol I have the same problem too.

Out of 14 that I won in a comp, only 5 were chosen. The rest were too perfumey for me.

This is mainly why I diy my own juice.

Best brand I've used so far and intend to stick to is Capella concentrates

@Faraaz I agree with you. I've often found that the juice doesn't taste like its flavour description at all.

@Faraaz I have the same problem. I sit and listen to people saying that they can taste this on the inhale and that on the exhale and so on. It's really very seldom that I taste what the description of the flavour says it should be. I've resigned myself to this and all that matters to me is whether or not I like the flavour. That's also why I mix my own!

Glad I’m not the only , yes I also get the this on inhale and that on exhale , and now that I think I also get the perfume story , I’ve vaped things and all day taste is the mint , but everyone says this is what you vaping and I’m like I don’t even taste that

I don’t want to mention brands but that’s the only way I would be able to give an example , I don’t want to mess up people’s names because I do get the fact that everyone’s taste is different ,

I can compare to food , I mean there’s items that taste the same to everyone if you like it or not , if I put cinnamon in the food or cake or whatever , most people are gonna taste it , some may like it and others may not

Another thing on the exhale story I personally think it’s more the perfume then actual taste

How has the DIY been going ? Do you throw a lot away ? I have tried and had to throw the whole bottle away, not just pour down the drain , gonna get a second attempt with a scale this time

Oh ... I used to think that it's a problem with my taste buds because of all the spicy Indian food I have been eating for ages :p

@Faraaz the DIY is going well. Of course there have been a bottle or 2 that ended up down the drain. I have reached the point where I am making fewer mistakes and have got about 12 flavours that I make that I like. That doesn't mean that anybody else will like them though! I have been told that my taste (or taste buds) are different to most other peoples!

@Faraaz the DIY is going well. Of course there have been a bottle or 2 that ended up down the drain. I have reached the point where I am making fewer mistakes and have got about 12 flavours that I make that I like. That doesn't mean that anybody else will like them though! I have been told that my taste (or taste buds) are different to most other peoples!

Lol maybe then you are just like me , I have found someone that likes what I do on most items

The rest don’t agree with me

Taste is subjective. The same reasoning can be used for example people who love sushi vs those who dont. Or All Gold vs Heinz, Durex vs Trojan. The one person might find a hint of vanilla while the other finds it tasting like compost. For me its finding the flavour profile u like just as long u stay away from the stinkies

Fellow Vapers..

Can't seem to find such a thread, please point me in the direction if there is one ?

So Vape Juices

There is a lot of people springing up recently that don't even know how to make juice , not all eccigssa certified, my personal opinion is existing well known vendors not handling widespread complaints correctly, anyway thats another topic

My issues is juices not tasting what they say, i do understand that everyone has a different taste & factors to keep into mind is vapors tongue, also keeping in mind a juice is how it what it supposed to taste but one bottle is enough & steeping for better or worst etc

Where i live is hard to come by testers, the shop i buy from lets me try out but i obviously cannot expect them to open everything for me, keeping in mind their prices are not overpriced, also the range is not very big

Now ive tried many juices, order online etc and its a lot of them probably from close to 60 different flavours i found 5 including those that "one bottle is enough"

DIY route for single flavours , advice from people on the forum is a no go

If i think back to twisp days, every flavour tasted like what it said, even if i didnt like it, it tasted like what it said, on that note, i wonder what the Orange by Twisp flavours taste like

Am I the only one or are there others out there with the same problem ?

Hi @Faraaz

I hear you on the descriptions often not being good at helping you to know what you will taste.
I think it does to a certain extent depend on the variety of palates out there. We all taste things a bit differently. What tastes like chocmint to one person may taste more minty to some and more choccy to others. And some may think it doesnt even taste like that at all. Ive seen that type of thing a few times.

I also think that the mixer sometimes tries to get a particular flavour and when he/she gets it they think thats it - but it tastes different to others. Maybe they also exaggerate some of the flavour components in the description. For example, some juices are called "Ice" and i Cant taste much ice in them.

I dont pay too much attention to the details in these flavour descriptions. I just want to know if its a fruity menthol or tobacco type of vape. Then i take it from there. And i do my research and ask other vapers what they thought. Try find vapers with a similar palate to you. It helps a lot.

Perhaps the juice awards results from 2017 will give you an idea of which juices many vapers enjoy and might give you some ideas of what you could try. It should at least offer good starting points for most vapers.

https://www.ecigssa.co.za/top-of-the-top-best-of-the-best-local-juice-2017-result.t40499/

@Faraaz and others try @kzors juices or throw in the towel.or speak to him and tell him what you would like and he will surely make a plan for you.

Sent from my X30 using Tapatalk

Also you will get better flavour with a RDA than a tank although some tanks outshines the others and also you choice of coils make a huge huge difference

Hi @Faraaz

I hear you on the descriptions often not being good at helping you to know what you will taste.
I think it does to a certain extent depend on the variety of palates out there. We all taste things a bit differently. What tastes like chocmint to one person may taste more minty to some and more choccy to others. And some may think it doesnt even taste like that at all. Ive seen that type of thing a few times.

I also think that the mixer sometimes tries to get a particular flavour and when he/she gets it they think thats it - but it tastes different to others. Maybe they also exaggerate some of the flavour components in the description. For example, some juices are called "Ice" and i Cant taste much ice in them.

I dont pay too much attention to the details in these flavour descriptions. I just want to know if its a fruity menthol or tobacco type of vape. Then i take it from there. And i do my research and ask other vapers what they thought. Try find vapers with a similar palate to you. It helps a lot.

Perhaps the juice awards results from 2017 will give you an idea of which juices many vapers enjoy and might give you some ideas of what you could try. It should at least offer good starting points for most vapers.

https://www.ecigssa.co.za/top-of-the-top-best-of-the-best-local-juice-2017-result.t40499/

I tried the award results from 2017 and this lead me even more astray, however this forum is a good place and from this post already i am meeting people that have similar taste as i do and its a great start

Also you will get better flavour with a RDA than a tank although some tanks outshines the others and also you choice of coils make a huge huge difference

I have a reload also, one of the best in flavour IMO, and i do clean my coils regularly , but thanks will pay some more attention to that

The issue of flavours not matching the description on the label seems restricted to certain flavours. Probably the two best-known examples are TFA VBIC, which is creamy, rich ice cream to some, pepper spray to others. And then FA Pineapple which is authentic fresh pineapple to some, burnt rubber with onions to others. Needless to say, any pineapple juice made with FA will not taste accurate to those who get the burnt rubber/onions taste.

I suppose that with more lines becoming available and the range of flavours expanding greatly, there are a lot of flavours and potential flavour combos that bend the flavour in a different direction - at least to some people's palates. I once combined Cap Sweet Strawberry with FW Candy Cane and got Mentadent P toothpaste from it. Yet neither flavour, on its own, is inaccurate to the profile. So the strange result is a case of alchemy between the two flavours. And it might just be me and a minority of others. Many vapers might get a minty strawberry from it.

Then we must also factor in that most companies are removing diketones now. The alternative chemicals they are adding might be exacerbating off-notes or pushing the flavour in a different direction, relative to the effect that diketones have. Again, only to some palates.

One thing is sure: we still have an awful lot to discover about our olfactory sense, especially in a vaping context. We don't yet fully understand exactly how the volatiles in vapour trigger our olfactory receptors and are interpreted by the brain.

I
The issue of flavours not matching the description on the label seems restricted to certain flavours. Probably the two best-known examples are TFA VBIC, which is creamy, rich ice cream to some, pepper spray to others. And then FA Pineapple which is authentic fresh pineapple to some, burnt rubber with onions to others. Needless to say, any pineapple juice made with FA will not taste accurate to those who get the burnt rubber/onions taste.

I suppose that with more lines becoming available and the range of flavours expanding greatly, there are a lot of flavours and potential flavour combos that bend the flavour in a different direction - at least to some people's palates. I once combined Cap Sweet Strawberry with FW Candy Cane and got Mentadent P toothpaste from it. Yet neither flavour, on its own, is inaccurate to the profile. So the strange result is a case of alchemy between the two flavours. And it might just be me and a minority of others. Many vapers might get a minty strawberry from it.

Then we must also factor in that most companies are removing diketones now. The alternative chemicals they are adding might be exacerbating off-notes or pushing the flavour in a different direction, relative to the effect that diketones have. Again, only to some palates.

One thing is sure: we still have an awful lot to discover about our olfactory sense, especially in a vaping context. We don't yet fully understand exactly how the volatiles in vapour trigger our olfactory receptors and are interpreted by the brain.

I also lose my sense of smell after 4 or 5 whiffs on test bottles . That also happens if I chain vape too long. When I switch from peppermint crisp to cool strawberry, I get a burnt paper taste for a few vapes. Ick!

I also lose my sense of smell after 4 or 5 whiffs on test bottles . That also happens if I chain vape too long. When I switch from peppermint crisp to cool strawberry, I get a burnt paper taste for a few vapes. Ick!

I am very wary about either vaping a flavour for too long, or about hitting my olfactory receptors with too many flavour molecules. So I mix as low as I can go in terms of total flavour %, and then also switch juices every fifteen minutes or so. I think this has helped me to avoid the dreaded vaper's tongue.

Vaping is a completely 'unnatural' phenomenon in that our bodies are interpreting it as the constant supply of a particular foodstuff. Somebody might have a blueberry cheesecake as an ADV. But they would never in their lives have been in a situation where they eat blueberry cheesecake constantly, all day every day. What physical effect and anatomical reaction will arise from that sensory overload? It's a fascinating field and one in which there are currently more questions than answers.

Back