I want to stop... he doesn't want to...

wildheart

Noob Vaper
LV

Awards
I have been reading quite a bit of threads.... I will admit my head is now deurmekaar (spinning) and I feel further than closer to making a choice.

Details are I am a chain smoker, even wake up during the night to smoke. Been at it for 32 years now. Husband the same except he sleeps like a baby at night (me very jealous haha).

I was dying for a smoke inside East Rand Mall over the weekend when a couple walked past blowing 'smoke'. My eyes were glued to the puff of smoke and then I had to find an exit fast to go kill an analog. (My first time using that word!)

Husband has no idea that I want to change 'us' to vaping.... So I need something simple, effective, hassle free, as close to an analog as possible that doesn't give problems. In other words I want an analog in vapor style or as close as possible to it. We are both technical orientated so a bit of assembling or whatever will be ok as long as it is not too time consuming because I have non to my disposal. I did see suggestions for Eleaf - iStick Pico Kit and found it on thevapery. Would you recommend that to us as well and is thevapery the best site to buy from? We are currently on 12 mg tar so I need something similar, if there is something like that. Any suggestions please?

My goal is to get us both off analogs before we go to visit my daughter in Ireland in July.

Lastly I do not want to visit a shop, I prefer online shopping. Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Go to twisp and get yourself a Clearo 2. Probably the closest quality device to a cigarette and the liquids they sell can be substituted with liquids from the supermarket. Quite a few around that sell e-sense liquids which are correct for the tiwsp device.

Hey there

I don't have the pico, but it is highly recommended. You can't go wrong. Just remember to get an external charger and extra batteries. It sucks when you can't vape cos the device is plugged in.

My online vendor of choice is Sir Vape, but we are spoiled rotten with excellent vendors around here. Take a look at the participationg vendors on the forum and they will do good by you.

As far as the juice goes, maybe try buying at least 6mg. An idea would be to buy stronger juice (12mg) and medium (6mg) of the same flavour. Start on the heavier one and the mix the 2 to go down to a lower level. Or stay at 12mg, plenty do.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the conversion!!!

I have been reading quite a bit of threads.... I will admit my head is now deurmekaar (spinning) and I feel further than closer to making a choice.

Details are I am a chain smoker, even wake up during the night to smoke. Been at it for 32 years now. Husband the same except he sleeps like a baby at night (me very jealous haha).

I was dying for a smoke inside East Rand Mall over the weekend when a couple walked past blowing 'smoke'. My eyes were glued to the puff of smoke and then I had to find an exit fast to go kill an analog. (My first time using that word!)

Husband has no idea that I want to change 'us' to vaping.... So I need something simple, effective, hassle free, as close to an analog as possible that doesn't give problems. In other words I want an analog in vapor style or as close as possible to it. We are both technical orientated so a bit of assembling or whatever will be ok as long as it is not too time consuming because I have non to my disposal. I did see suggestions for Eleaf - iStick Pico Kit and found it on thevapery. Would you recommend that to us as well and is thevapery the best site to buy from? We are currently on 12 mg tar so I need something similar, if there is something like that. Any suggestions please?

My goal is to get us both off analogs before we go to visit my daughter in Ireland in July.

Lastly I do not want to visit a shop, I prefer online shopping. Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum @wildheart
Where there's a will there's a way!

I can vouch for the Pico kit and many folk here also like the iJust S.
Both are good. One is a small little thing and the other is a tube shape.
With the right coils in them and a high enough nicotine strength juice (say 12mg or 6mg) I think you will be just fine. Just make sure you try several juices to find a flavour you like.

Online vendors - there are plenty on the home page of this forum.

All the best and let us know how it goes.

I agree with @boxerulez, getting a twisp device will be the closest thing to imitate that throat hit of an analog. People always say "BAAH TWISP IS #*@# and (@*&^$..Yes they are a bit pricey, yes there juices aren't the most flavorful, BUT if you a heavy smoker, there is nothing better than that feeling of 18mg nicotine liquid burning a hole in your chest to satisfy that craving.

I honestly do not think I could have stopped the stinkies on 3mg juice, or I would have vaped 25 hours a day lol. Once you used to the vape experience, and do not feel the need for stinkies anymore, then I would suggest going for something with more power and clouds and that whole 9 yeards.

I know you said you do not like going to stores but what better way than to try a twisp at the kiosk and going to try another device at a vape shop and seeing which one you prefer instead of buying something and it doesn't work for you.

Just my 2cents and all the best on your vaping journey.

I know you said you do not like going to stores but what better way than to try a twisp at the kiosk and going to try another device at a vape shop and seeing which one you prefer instead of buying something and it doesn't work for you.

Have to agree with going to a reputable dealer in your area so you can try different devices and liquids before you buy... start out with what works the best for you.

No experience with a Twisp, but I have 4 Pico's. They are excellent inexpensive mods. If you get the kit it will come with a Melo III Mini tank that uses coil heads of various Ω values. The best of these coils last a long time and that helps offset their cost. When I ran my 10 tanks that can use the Vaporesso cCells I used .9Ω, but lots of folks there in SA use lower Ω value as well. I have lots of mods, but always take a Pico or two when I go out to run errands.

picopatrol.jpg

Good Luck to both of you.

Thank you all for your replies and advice. I read a few threads on the forum where people said they are not happy with twisp anymore. Regardless of their reasons that seed is now planted in my head ugh. Thanks for the liqued advice

I didn't know that you can try out the different products at the vendors! Thank you for your 2 scents!

I will then be searching for a vendor in east rand, any recommendations?

Twisp is a good starting point, but it's satisfying for a couple of months, then you'll want something better. I'm sure that most of the older vapers on here started with a Twisp and then moved on. I agree with everyone else. Rather go with the IJust-S or the Pico. They are awesome.

On the juice I also agree. Start with 6mg and go from there.

Im just echoing what has already been said.
From reading your OP i think the Twisp clearo 2 is a great Device and exactly what you are looking for.

But please one thing to keep in mind in regards to juice , never and i mean never.... Go and buy china mall kak juice.

You will be back on cigs before you even finish your first tank of kak china mall juice.

And welcome to the forum @wildheart , we have a great community hear always ready to help out in any way possible.

Vape on...

My friend tried the Twisp a few months ago but it got chucked into the drawer. I took a chance and got him the Pico kit for Xmas. He's now now smoking 10 cigarettes per day down from 35 so I'd say it was a good bet. Only thing is he is using the 18mg Twisp Tobacco juice since the 3mg fruit and desert flavours I gave him wasn't hitting the spot.

Note: he is smoking Styvie red cigarettes though at 18mg I think so it is stronger.

On a side note, strange thing is we used to smoke the same thing but I thought I was gonna die when I tried the the 18mg juice in it but I also started on 18mg juice almost 3 years ago and I could only smoke stuff that still tasted kinda like a cigarette.

Congrats on your decision, @wildheart. Rather than being apprehensive that you might pick the wrong gear, or confused by the huge range available, I would urge that you feel nothing other than excitement. You are embarking on the most rewarding journey you will ever make. You will make mistakes and regret some purchases, we all do especially initially. But you will also find your happy place in your own time. You have been given good advice, and know that ALL the gear that has been recommended to you is a thousand times better than smoking. Enjoy!

@boxerulez @Imtiaaz are right. If you want something as close to an analog in feel, then a twisp or twisp type device is probably the way to go. Honestly I don't know how long you will stick with it though until you move on to something else. You wont go wrong with a Pico but it will feel awkward in your hand to start with.
Just remember that vaping will help you stop smoking but vaping is not smoking. Each have their own quirks and nuances. The first time you held a cigarette in your fingers it felt awkward but you got used to it very quickly.
The same applies to any vape gear you decide to go with.
Good luck with your journey, you wont be sorry.

You guys are really awesome! I cant thank you enough and I will be visiting stoneridge, thanks CraigB, with all the recommendations written down.

I am excited! Must just get over the 'inform hubby' hurdle.... :grinning-smiley-048::ambulance:

As per above - the only other suggestion is to take him with you to the local Vape shop and let him (and you) touch, feel and taste all the various goodies on offer. He will like seeing like minded, normal people there and feel more comfortable that way.

Most vape stores will have sample juice and equipment for you to try out in store. You can then narrow down your selection and choose the best set-up for you.

Have fun!!!!

You guys are really awesome! I cant thank you enough and I will be visiting stoneridge, thanks CraigB, with all the recommendations written down.

I am excited! Must just get over the 'inform hubby' hurdle.... :grinning-smiley-048::ambulance:
Stoneridge is the bomb, wayne and brandon are 2 legend lads.

Last edited:
Good luck with kicking the habit. I personally started with 12mg Liqua tobacco juices to get me completely off the stinkies. I vary between the 3mg for desserts, 6mg tobaccos and then 12mg Liqua for that day when I feel I need to stink up the place. Monday comming will be 5 months completely off analogs and 6 months vaping.
IF you go for something like an iJust or Pico for your starting device, and you want to upgrade, head over to the classifieds and sell them there, or keep them as a backup.
Keep on asking questions, this forum really helped me get where I am currently and I learn everyday!

Congrats on the decision @wildheart , the big question you have to answer in your search for the device would be direct-lung (DL) or mouth-to-lung (MTL) The best way to describe it is: when you smoke, do you try and pull the smoke directly into your lung (use lung power to pull on the cig) or do you pull with your mouth, and from there transfer the smoke into your lungs (use mouth suction power) If it's DL I can suggest the Pico, whereas the Twisp is more suited to MTL. But you should preferably try to get to a vape store as per @Spydro 's suggestion and try for yourself. Good luck, we'll be keeping our eyes peeled for your story and progress. And well be quietly cheering you on all the way

Firstly well done on wanting to make the change, that is the right mindset to have.

Secondly, I agree with the Pico being a great starter kit and mod however I feel as if it won't be close enough to an actual cigarette.
I would recommend something like the AIO to start with, it is a lot simpler and cheaper initially and has a warmer and tighter pull.

To sum it up, I feel the Pico excels at a loose draw (similar to a Hubbly, a lot more clouds and flavour too).
The AIO is more like a cigarette I believe, tighter and warmer and less clouds and the flavour on the AIO is not as great / intense as on the Pico.

Links to the AIO:
http://vapeclub.co.za/products/joyetech-aio-kit
http://vapeclub.co.za/products/joyetech-aio-pro-kit

Pick either of them as they offer practically the same vape experience, one has a better battery (the pro kit).

Alternatively stop by one of the amazing vape shops near your area and try out a few devices, if you are able to handle and enjoy a looser pull - something like a Pico then I would recommend going for a Pico or similar device.

Firstly well done on wanting to make the change, that is the right mindset to have.

Secondly, I agree with the Pico being a great starter kit and mod however I feel as if it won't be close enough to an actual cigarette.
I would recommend something like the AIO to start with, it is a lot simpler and cheaper initially and has a warmer and tighter pull.

To sum it up, I feel the Pico excels at a loose draw (similar to a Hubbly, a lot more clouds and flavour too).
The AIO is more like a cigarette I believe, tighter and warmer and less clouds and the flavour on the AIO is not as great / intense as on the Pico.

Links to the AIO:
http://vapeclub.co.za/products/joyetech-aio-kit
http://vapeclub.co.za/products/joyetech-aio-pro-kit

Pick either of them as they offer practically the same vape experience, one has a better battery (the pro kit).

Alternatively stop by one of the amazing vape shops near your area and try out a few devices, if you are able to handle and enjoy a looser pull - something like a Pico then I would recommend going for a Pico or similar device.

A warning about the AIO. while it is an awesome device to get you off the stinkies, you will out grow it very quickly, and by the sounds of how much you guys smoke, you might need to buy 2 each.

Its what got me off the smokes, but was very frustrating when the damn thing was charging. And having to charge it after each vape break because I was chaining it hard.

I agree with @boxerulez, getting a twisp device will be the closest thing to imitate that throat hit of an analog. People always say "BAAH TWISP IS #*@# and (@*&^$..Yes they are a bit pricey, yes there juices aren't the most flavorful, BUT if you a heavy smoker, there is nothing better than that feeling of 18mg nicotine liquid burning a hole in your chest to satisfy that craving.

I honestly do not think I could have stopped the stinkies on 3mg juice, or I would have vaped 25 hours a day lol. Once you used to the vape experience, and do not feel the need for stinkies anymore, then I would suggest going for something with more power and clouds and that whole 9 yeards.

Well said bro

Hi there @wildheart . A warm welcome to this forum.

There are many different opinions. My advice is simple. Go into a reputable vape shop and talk to the most experienced sales person you can find. Try out stuff in the shop. Some shops will even let you have a vape off a "test" unit. Then you can feel what you are getting into. You may part with a lot of money if you buy online for the first time, and you may be disapointed.

The problem with going the Twisp route is that about 90% of vapers drop the Twisp within the first month or two for something bigger and better. I did that. Jump straight into something like the Pico which is a great starter device. Start off with high nicotine and work down over the weeks.

Good luck and persevere.

Back