Maggie Follett

Hi @maggie follett ! Welcome on board! Just click on the one you want and follow the instruction on the linked site.
Have a great stay!

Thanks man. I also appreciate the vote of confidence in me. I won't let the community down, and that's a promise! I can't pre-publish my article here until it comes out (journalistic protocol), but if you ask any of the FB buddies, I'm sure they'll give it a thumbs up, as I've posted draft bits and pieces.

Hi. I'm not sure if I'm the right place. I'm a Capetonian newbie (happy ex-puffer and three-week vaper) and journalist, who decided to take up vaping, partly so as to write a well-researched, unbiased article that informed the South African public about the practice, as there's so much bullsh*t in the media. I was concerned that the (higher) powers-that-be would squash the article, but I'm chuffed to say that the Cape Times has just told me they love it, and will publish the piece as is! I just need to add a comprehensive list of Cape Town outlets and online stores, plus a list of reputable online suppliers throughout SA. I have quite a few names, but I'm sure there are several out there. Can anyone help? This is urgent, but more importantly, I'm desperately looking for two or three 350 kb (minimum) photographs. I need one shot of a range of vaping gear (if possible, from e-cigs right up to mods), maybe with various juices, and another good one of someone/people vaping. They don't pay much for pics, but obviously I'll credit the sourece/photographer. Everyone is welcome to join my unbiased Facebook group VAPE ESCAPE MZANSI. And that's it from me. Looking forward to sharing with you. Best, Maggie

Hi Maggie, this is great! At last someone that will publish a good story about vaping.

Ill give you access to my FTP where you can download our photographs of the 2nd last vape meet. Im sure there is a few photos there that will catch your fancy :D Ill PM you the details.

Thanks man. I also appreciate the vote of confidence in me. I won't let the community down, and that's a promise! I can't pre-publish my article here until it comes out (journalistic protocol), but if you ask any of the FB buddies, I'm sure they'll give it a thumbs up, as I've posted draft bits and pieces.

When can we expect the article in the Cape Times? :)

Ok. I am there but not noticeable. Go from me :)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Would you guys mind giving your full names or do you want to use your forum handle?

Would you guys mind giving your full names or do you want to use your forum handle?

You can use mine and stroods full names :) Or forum handles whichever you prefer we dont mind :) Full names will be beneficial for us though

Stroodle - Sharri Van Zyl
Me - Warren Pleass

For me it's all the same, name Marnus Zwarts

Last edited:
You can use my handle
SILVER

I for one would certainly object to any pictures with me in them being published in the media, for professional reasons. I will not provide my consent for the pics of me from the vape meet being used. It is quite simply, not good for my line of business.

Thanks for changing your mind. Wait till you see the article!

As with any paper, you don't know what they will use until it comes out, but I promise you that the piece is intended to do the vaping community a service, and I'll be interested to see what comes of it!
Isn't there some cliche saying about there being no such thing as bad publicity? :nod:

I have no doubt it will be a balanced and intertesting read. I suppose your job requires a certain amount of impartiality, so as long as you have represented the benefits along side the negatives the readers will be able to draw their own conclusions.

Just wish they would hurry up and publish it!

Isn't there some cliche saying about there being no such thing as bad publicity? :nod:

I have no doubt it will be a balanced and intertesting read. I suppose your job requires a certain amount of impartiality, so as long as you have represented the benefits along side the negatives the readers will be able to draw their own conclusions.

Just wish they would hurry up and publish it!

Hmm. Nah. I think in our case bad publicity, written (and promulgated) by ignorant, uninvolved (or over-involved) people in both the smoking and non-smoking community has been most detrimental. Actually, I haven't listed any negatives, but tried to inform on a basic level. It's also quite tongue-in-cheek, and I take the piss out of myself and others, to make my point. It's very frustrating not knowing if it will definitely come out tomorrow. Unfortunately, as a freelance writer, I can't be demanding or needy in any way - especially as it's quite an honour to be in the Cape Times main body. Although I do fairly regular stuff for the Top of The Times supplement, the budgets for freelancers have been slashed, so only exceptionally interesting/relevant/well-written pieces make it past the editorial 'top brass' for the daily paper. I was really surprised that it passed muster in terms of topic and approach! I'm curious to know what the sub-editors do with it though, as they're paid to make changes, even if unnecessary. I guess we'll all have to just wait and see, hey.

Kicking Butt and taking names, the VOICE of the people. finally we have someone making a stand in the public domain. Thanks so much for your balanced perspective, truthful acknowledgements and awesome vaping Spirit. We Salute you, "Cry havok and let slip the dogs of war!!!".

I think this quote from Thomas Paine ecapsulates our struggle: "Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."

Thank you for your support, your reason and your Passion, you are dear to us and to all vapers of South Africa, even though many know not your name, they will surely reckognise you through your deeds. Give em hell, the truth shall and MUST be known.

Can I ask you Capetonians a favour :) When it does come out can someone get us a copy? I will get the couriers to collect

Back