Mixing with pipette help (asseblief tog)

Rude Rudi

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
As part of my DIY journey, I got a set of pipettes and a pipette pump form Blck Vapour yesterday...

My enthusiasm to mix a new brew with me new toys was quickly dashed when I realised that it is not as simple as I thought... The pippettes are serological and the measurements are in reverse, ie not like a normal syringe form 1-10ml up but form 10-1... This added much frustration as it is quite tricky to work out...

I searched Mr Google stukkend and could not find any simple usage instructions/deciphering on how to accurately measure small quantities. I have a 2ml and a 10ml.

Do any of you clever folk use pipettes to measure and if so, please give me some pointers/tips on how to use them properly as I am about to stick them up the cat's a%$.

This is the only reasonable explanation I could find but I'm still battling..

use_serological_pipette.jpg

https://www.blckvapour.co.za/collections/accesories/products/copy-of-pipette-pump-4-piece-combo
https://www.blckvapour.co.za/collections/accesories/products/pipette-pump

You fill it from concentrate up to the 0ml mark, drop out what you need into the mix, ie if you need 3 ml you release until the level drops to 3ml, and then release the balance back into concentrate container.

I have never used these to measure. I use them to pull up and then dispense in to a jar on a scale (mixing by weight)
It looks as if the one in the picture is 10ml and it makes provision for the first ml in the tip section. So the 3,2ml is 9 8 7 (3ml) and ,2 the 2 lines like on a syringe.
Eg 4,6ml would be 9 8 7 6 and 6 lines.

I have never used these to measure. I use them to pull up and then dispense in to a jar on a scale (mixing by weight)
It looks as if the one in the picture is 10ml and it makes provision for the first ml in the tip section. So the 3,2ml is 9 8 7 (3ml) and ,2 the 2 lines like on a syringe.
Eg 4,6ml would be 9 8 7 6 and 6 lines.

You see the frustration!

Yip, fill to zero and measure from there as you turn the wheel.

I used those initially for my PG and Nic, but only for some flow control as I use a scale. Nowadays I use a little glass beaker (also from BlckVapour) for Nic and spouts (ValleyVapour) on my PG and VG bottles.

Yip, fill to zero and measure from there as you turn the wheel.

I used those initially for my PG and Nic, but only for some flow control as I use a scale. Nowadays I use a little glass beaker (also from BlckVapour) for Nic and spouts (ValleyVapour) on my PG and VG bottles.

Cool, thanks for the tips!
Also using spouts - the intention was to use the pipettes for the concentrates for more accuracy...

If you haven't got a scale, Dischem sells 1ml and 3ml syringes that work reasonably well for small measurements. And they're cheap.

I do use a scale but wanted to give this a shot - It somehow seemed more "authentic" than a scale...

Scale is the best and easy. When I mix 10ml batches for testing only I sometimes need so little of a flavour that I will use an insulin syringe for those. Also on some I stick to the basics like 1 drop per 10ml of Koolada and Menthol.
On bigger batches like 30 / 50 or 100ml the scale is perfect. If the scale measures to 2 decimal places it does not matter if the last digit is 1 or 2 over or under.

I use 10ml, 5ml and 1ml syringes. best way to mix in ml. Pipettes bring out the worst in me.

Scale is the best and easy. When I mix 10ml batches for testing only I sometimes need so little of a flavour that I will use an insulin syringe for those. Also on some I stick to the basics like 1 drop per 10ml of Koolada and Menthol.
On bigger batches like 30 / 50 or 100ml the scale is perfect. If the scale measures to 2 decimal places it does not matter if the last digit is 1 or 2 over or under.
What is the concentrate volumetric density compared to vg pg and nic?

Is a scale really reliable?

You cannot get more accurate than a scale imo. The specific gravity differs per concentrate, but are typically between 0.93 g per ml to 1.07 g per ml. Seeing that it makes up a relatively small volume of your mix, most just use a value of 1 for all concentrates, but the real figure for PG, VG and Nic.

I stand corrected, but:

PG: 1ml = 1.038g
VG: 1ml = 1.26g
Nic in VG: 1ml = 1.235g

your concentrates will be in the region between PG and VG depending on the contents

Most online e-juice calculators will give you the weight per ingredient in your recipe. Agree with Andre, you cannot get more accurate than mixing by weight.

I stand corrected, but:

PG: 1ml = 1.038g
VG: 1ml = 1.26g
Nic in VG: 1ml = 1.235g

your concentrates will be in the region between PG and VG depending on the contents

Most online e-juice calculators will give you the weight per ingredient in your recipe. Agree with Andre, you cannot get more accurate than mixing by weight.
Quite correct, except for the Nic - there it depends on the concentration of the Nic. A list and calculation method here.

Two factors to consider when measuring by weight:

1) Let's say that the recipe estimate of 1.036g for PG flavour is slightly off. Is it going to be as inaccurate as trying to measure the meniscus in a pipette or syringe with your eye?

2) The scale only reads what is in the mixing bottle and therefore in your juice. When you mix by volume, not all of the flavourant goes into the mixing bottle. Some stays in the syringe needle, or coating the inside of the syringe itself. When you rinse out a syringe after mixing, you will get a strong aroma of the flavour. That is flavourant that you measured out visually but which didn't make it into your juice.

That said, I think both methods are acceptably accurate. No doubt, HIC can taste the difference between 0.3 and 0.4g of a flavour in a juice. I can't.

Two factors to consider when measuring by weight:

1) Let's say that the recipe estimate of 1.036g for PG flavour is slightly off. Is it going to be as inaccurate as trying to measure the meniscus in a pipette or syringe with your eye?

2) The scale only reads what is in the mixing bottle and therefore in your juice. When you mix by volume, not all of the flavourant goes into the mixing bottle. Some stays in the syringe needle, or coating the inside of the syringe itself. When you rinse out a syringe after mixing, you will get a strong aroma of the flavour. That is flavourant that you measured out visually but which didn't make it into your juice.

That said, I think both methods are acceptably accurate. No doubt, HIC can taste the difference between 0.3 and 0.4g of a flavour in a juice. I can't.
Yip, I agree - both methods are accurate enough. But by weight is not only more accurate, but far easier. And it is the easier, less messy part that convinced me.

I agree with all above posts.
I personally use 1.036g/ml for all my flavours. Not that it makes a significant difference.

I can't emphasise enough how much better and easier it is to mix by weight. The only hard part is punching and configuring the grams per ml for the VG, PG, Nic etc. All easily available online.
I use mostly TFA concentrates so to work out the average weight per ml, I simply copied everything to excel and ran average on the weight column. Profit :D

I attached a pic of what my grams are set at. Google easily revealed the PG, VG and Nic but as I said I averaged tje weight of all TFA concentrates to get the flavours weight.

869fe8fe04e7514572450e0878d0bcfb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I can't emphasise enough how much better and easier it is to mix by weight. The only hard part is punching and configuring the grams per ml for the VG, PG, Nic etc. All easily available online.
I use mostly TFA concentrates so to work out the average weight per ml, I simply copied everything to excel and ran average on the weight column. Profit :D

I attached a pic of what my grams are set at. Google easily revealed the PG, VG and Nic but as I said I averaged tje weight of all TFA concentrates to get the flavours weight.

869fe8fe04e7514572450e0878d0bcfb.jpg

Would you say that all concentrates weigh the same roughly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you say that all concentrates weigh the same roughly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are some that are quite a bit heavier than others but we're talking about 0.2 of a gram which isn't much at all.
I still have the spreadsheet on my laptop I can post if anyone else would like it.

Back