Need help with battery safety - Sigelei 150w

My understanding is the same as stated in your original post @Gambit.

I have seen it bandied around that the device will cut out or something if the discharge rating of the battery is too low for the device or the battery heats up too much. In the case of your Sigelei the limit for amp draw is 40A - my logic tells me the Sigelei will allow amp draw up to 40W then. So, for your Samsung 25R, that is above the continuous discharge rating, which is generally accepted as being the rating to base safety on. There is no current standard on pulse discharge rating - some base it on 1 second pulses, some on longer pulses. If the battery overheats should there not be some sort of temperature sensing inside of the device? If so, I have not heard of it.

All in all, I think you are sensible in your decision to stay around 0.4 ohms with the Samsungs if you intend to go high wattage.

So it doesn't really matter what batteries I use? The device will just fire lower if the batteries are not powerful enough?

Most regulated mods worth a damn in use today will monitor the input it receives from the battery pretty closely. When it senses that the battery just can't keep up, it will cut out and display a battery error.

That being said, the damage to the battery might already be done. No mod is ever so safe that it cant/wont damage your batteries if the batteries cant handle the load.
Batteries do not have self preservation mechanisms. They will try as hell to provide as much as they can without any regard to their own survival. Sure, some batteries have fuses strapped in, but thats the extent of it...
If a battery is indeed putting out more than it should/can, internally it will start to chemically create metallic compounds. Those metallic compounds, once formed is permanent. Those same metallics can cause an internal short to occur.

At that point, whether youre firing it or not is inconsequential. That battery could be laying in a drawer doing nothing and simply start internally shorting. Venting, fire, explosions, whatever is imminent.

So yes, regulated mods try to protect us.
But no, that does not mean we get to ignore any and all safety measures and forget ohm's laws altogether.
Play safe, regardless of what a mod allows or doesn't allow.

sjoe @WHeunis i kak myself every time i see a post from you. that pic man lol.

sjoe @WHeunis i kak myself every time i see a post from you. that pic man lol.
kittenanimation-11.gif

If the forum accepted animated avitars I woudve used that 1

FormulaWheelElectronics.gif

Batteries are connected in series so the voltage will be doubled ie. 8.4v freshly charged.

You can use one of the above formulas to work out the current drain.

E.g. I (amps) = Power / volts
150W/8.4V = 17.85 Amps

As the battery is used the voltage drops so if the voltage is at 3.7v the current is
150W/7.4V = 20.27 Amps

This does not take into account the voltage drop from the mod.

Also I don't think that resistance matters as much on regulated devices as the device will adjust the voltage to get to the power.

My understanding is the same as stated in your original post @Gambit.

I have seen it bandied around that the device will cut out or something if the discharge rating of the battery is too low for the device or the battery heats up too much. In the case of your Sigelei the limit for amp draw is 40A - my logic tells me the Sigelei will allow amp draw up to 40W then. So, for your Samsung 25R, that is above the continuous discharge rating, which is generally accepted as being the rating to base safety on. There is no current standard on pulse discharge rating - some base it on 1 second pulses, some on longer pulses. If the battery overheats should there not be some sort of temperature sensing inside of the device? If so, I have not heard of it.

All in all, I think you are sensible in your decision to stay around 0.4 ohms with the Samsungs if you intend to go high wattage.

I'm not sure about the Sigelei 150W, but the 100W is in series, not parallel, so the amps of the batteries remains at 20amps, it's the voltage that increase. This is according to the post @johan made in the thread I mentioned earlier.

did u open mine up though hehe

and @Andre i look to my left, see my Reo and smile every time i see yours :p

hahaha, thats one way of looking at it.

snap. i was running 0.2 build for like a week on my sig
And what happened?

Been reading a lot of reviews and discussions this past week that say that the purple Efest and Vappower with 35A continuous discharge rate are actually re-wrapped Samsung 25R (Smurfs).

Using the Smurfs in my Sigelei 100w+ & don't have any problems. Actually bought 2 more for my KUI. I just feel safer with them. Maybe it's brand loyalty...

And what happened?

Been reading a lot of reviews and discussions this past week that say that the purple Efest and Vappower with 35A continuous discharge rate are actually re-wrapped Samsung 25R (Smurfs).

Using the Smurfs in my Sigelei 100w+ & don't have any problems. Actually bought 2 more for my KUI. I just feel safer with them. Maybe it's brand loyalty...
Nothing bad happened, worked perfectly, but going by what ive read, dont know if any damage was done to the batteries

Back