Nets (naturally Extracted Tobaccos)

it looks like what you've got there is Cassia bark - as used in curry. You can get cinnamon in rolls...only way i can describe it - rolls of thin inner bark.

i filtered Boxer infusion after 4 weeks, through 3 paper coffee filters. it seems to have slight coil gunking effect, but only slight.

Good stuff. Also ethyl maltol and or sweetener I use with nets. Helps round flavour. Also about 5 drops white vinegar (cheap spirit kind) per 30 ml helps to bring out tobacco flavour. Enjoy! :D

White vinegar? please explain more about this.

@TylerD I added some honey to mix, really nice :)

Actual Honey? will the sugars in it not burn?

These questions are not criticisim, I am working on my own Nets and just wondering how what and why.

White vinegar? please explain more about this.

Here are some quotes from ECF and other places. I'm still experimenting myself.

Vinegar
Best in tobacco mixes to enhance flavor or used to make sweet flavors more bitter .
Apple Cider Vinegar
Increases acidity, which helps some flavors to "pop". Usually used in tobacco mixes, whereas lemon juice is used in fruity mixes.
Initally, mixes with ACV appear to have better flavor, but over time tend to have more muted flavors. Some like the effect it has on flavor though, so to counter the muted flavor, you can up the percetage a bit.
Use sparingly. Start with 1 drop per 10 ml and work from there.

ya, i see you found apple cider vinegar. i came across it in one of those lists a few days ago - ACV, apple cider vinegar. i was going to say, i would rather use ACV than spirit vinegar. You know, maybe it's things like that that contribute to making it like a "premium ejuice" :-D

@Rooigevaar , check out the lonnng thread on ecf. There are two - about NET - i was reading some of it yesterday. Lots to learn. i started copying-pasting into a text file, NET notes.txt ..... one oke, buying tobacco leaves to make the extract, uses PG/VG +nic to do the infusion. i think it's a good way, once you know how to manage the strength of the infusion, proportion of tobacco to PG/VG. So you would make it much weaker than we've done with making infusions to use as flavouring. i was thinking of asking him, like how much experimentation, trial and error, did he do before he got it right. So, with PG/VG/nic premixed, you would only need a day or two of steeping.
i could get you the link if you want, it'll be in my browser history.
One or two interesting things mentioned about HHV.
And goodejuice, also one of the most highly-rated, say only 50:50 PG:VG, something to do with the extraction process - which means theirs is done like that, not extracts to be used for flavouring additive.

I see what you mean @Cat I did an extract in pure PG and only left it for 10 days, the flavour was intense but I could see that if I had left it for say 5 days it would have been the perfect flavour without having to mix it into more PG or VG. Next experiment will be the total mix less days and see what happens.
I also notice that using pure PG after extraction it gets allot thicker so it will take some trail and error not to put too much VG in rendering the juice too thick to filter.
One of us needs to start growing tobacco already!

I think its illegal to grow tobacco with out proper permits lol

I see what you mean @Cat I did an extract in pure PG and only left it for 10 days, the flavour was intense but I could see that if I had left it for say 5 days it would have been the perfect flavour without having to mix it into more PG or VG. Next experiment will be the total mix less days and see what happens.
I also notice that using pure PG after extraction it gets allot thicker so it will take some trail and error not to put too much VG in rendering the juice too thick to filter.

i'd forgotten about that. VG through paper coffee filter - no ways. it would take days,...or it might even block the filter.
Pity, though, because it would reduce the steeping time to just a day or so. ...Even if it was warmed, it wouldn't go through easily. The PG was slow enough.

i'd forgotten about that. VG through paper coffee filter - no ways. it would take days,...or it might even block the filter.
Pity, though, because it would reduce the steeping time to just a day or so. ...Even if it was warmed, it wouldn't go through easily. The PG was slow enough.
Tip of the day: leave the jar with vg in a warm water bath for 5min and its much easier to work with. Strains in half the time.

^^ Have you put it through paper coffee filter?

^^ Have you put it through paper coffee filter?
This is how I do mine

Tea strainer
Coffee filter x 3-4
Syringe stuffed with organic cotton balls.

VG stays warm for long. That being said it does require a reheat after the first pass through the paper filter.

Thats a 50/50 mix

I now extract with pg only. Works better for me somehow.

problem with apple cider vinegar is me thinking it goes down great as a shot. nice little zap to system :)

[hypothetical]
coffee paper filters, does 4th pass filter out any more particulates or given that it is still basically the same "mesh", same micron size (filter gauge whatever it is called), it doesn't filter out any finer particulates,...except that these filters are uneven, random hit-or-miss, so some particles that got through the 3rd pass might happen to hit a denser/finer area of the filter on the 4th pass.
(phewh)

Mayybe the tendency to clog coils [that we've sometimes heard about with DIY NET] is not caused by tobacco particulates but by additives that crystalise on the coil/wick...? Chemicals or "casings" / flavourings. Apparently sugar is not unusual.

i do want to get some tobacco that is "organic" (without pesticide) and without chemical additives and flavourings.

[hypothetical]
coffee paper filters, does 4th pass filter out any more particulates or given that it is still basically the same "mesh", same micron size (filter gauge whatever it is called), it doesn't filter out any finer particulates,...except that these filters are uneven, random hit-or-miss, so some particles that got through the 3rd pass might happen to hit a denser/finer area of the filter on the 4th pass.
(phewh)

Mayybe the tendency to clog coils [that we've sometimes heard about with DIY NET] is not caused by tobacco particulates but by additives that crystalise on the coil/wick...? Chemicals or "casings" / flavourings. Apparently sugar is not unusual.

i do want to get some tobacco that is "organic" (without pesticide) and without chemical additives and flavourings.

The rum and maple extract I did kills coils quick. Thats an aromatic tbac so yeah additives. The organic stuff seems easier on the coils but nets are known to clog coils quickly if I put 5ml of nicotickets H1N1 through my aqua it need a cotton change and dryburn so thats just the way it is with nets.

On the paper filter issue 3 passes normally does it. With organic tbac the second pass is already clear. If I can still see particulate on the filter I do another pass. Another tip I picked up is to not crush or cut the tbac and never shake while you extracting, just gently swirl the jar every week. It makes filtering easier.

Agree, no mashing, no crushing. No need. (I noticed "maceration" mentioned in that thread on ecf; i wondered why.)

The maple did it, it caramelises. i suppose.

NET generally,...i saw a comment somewhere, that HHV is so good, so easy on the coils /etc. My experience too.
Currently, HHV Sludge...i dunno, because i've been using only Kangertech Mega/new version coils,....so i think it's not the Sludge that's the problem.

http://www.leafonly.com/
organic Virginia tobacco leaves,
but there are many others that are more interesting to me...not organic, so there can be pesticide but no chemical additives.
Can get sample quantities 1/4 lb around $5 to $9.

All of our CT tobacco leaves come straight from the farms right here in Connecticut! Below, you will find some miscellaneous pictures taken of some of the whole leaf tobacco farms in Connecticut during planting season. It's no wonder why Connecticut produces some of the best cigar wrappers in the world!
At Leaf Only, we want you to know that our tobacco is 100% Natural. It doesn't undergo chemical curing processes, and it never touches the hands of the large corporations. There's nothing like farm fresh tobacco, and when you order from Leaf Only, it comes directly from the farm, straight to you.
100_3787.JPG

Did some research, it is NOT illegal to grow tobacco, and you do not need any licences... So here goes nothing!

Not like we have much law enforcement in SA anyway.
Sometimes that sort of law is only applicable when doing it for commercial purposes. When it applies to what you do for private use, law and bureaucracy has gone too far.

Anyway. It's not just about growing...? What about the curing, that is a whole subject itself. Flue-cured, fire-cured...

i will check the leafonly.com list again and pick two or three to try. The only "organic" /pesticide-free tobaccos there though are those two Virginia tobaccos, and i'm more interested in darker tobacco...so i'll accept the pesticide and be glad that at least it doesn't have chemical additives - that's a big improvement over the usual brand name tobaccos we know. '
1/4 lb, i wonder how much that is. Probably quite a lot. Maybe i should do a sort of group buy, if 1/4 lb is too much, we could get three or four different tobaccos and then compare, our different methods of extraction and so on.
2 leaves probably enough for making 20 ml of extract/flavouring? Easy to post them - put in Gladwrap bag and envelope.

Not like we have much law enforcement in SA anyway.
Sometimes that sort of law is only applicable when doing it for commercial purposes. When it applies to what you do for private use, law and bureaucracy has gone too far.

Anyway. It's not just about growing...? What about the curing, that is a whole subject itself. Flue-cured, fire-cured...

i will check the leafonly.com list again and pick two or three to try. The only "organic" /pesticide-free tobaccos there though are those two Virginia tobaccos, and i'm more interested in darker tobacco...so i'll accept the pesticide and be glad that at least it doesn't have chemical additives - that's a big improvement over the usual brand name tobaccos we know. '
1/4 lb, i wonder how much that is. Probably quite a lot. Maybe i should do a sort of group buy, if 1/4 lb is too much, we could get three or four different tobaccos and then compare, our different methods of extraction and so on.
2 leaves probably enough for making 20 ml of extract/flavouring? Easy to post them - put in Gladwrap bag and envelope.

I think sun or air curing would be the most practical, I also wonder what the technical side of importing leaves would entail, law wise and tax wise. We have a tobacco industry in SA and plenty farms still grow it comercially. May be an easier option to try and get a hold of a farmer that would be willing to sell us some of his leaves. My latest extraction was done with a Rhodesian blend and although it is good the dark flavour is a bit too "pipey" for me, I am looking for something a bit crisper.

mm, depends on how they label it. i suppose if they label it tobacco leaves... :-/ even just a few leaves, if it says 'tobacco', it will get their attention. i think i did see something on the website about it - i mean, suggesting that they do not...fake it.
Rodesian bland, dark flavour, "pipey", sounds like what i want. :) Is it from that Cape town shop, Sturks? LightRhodesian that capetocuba got, but i think i saw Dark Rhodesian on the website too.

SA tobacco farmer, big problem to find one and ask for a few leaves. Then that would probably be one type, one flavour, only.

wrt dark and light, and pipe, or Virginia or whatever, i don't know. i like toasted, darker cigarette tobacco, not Virginia golden kind, but who knows? Maybe quite different with extract and vaping.

After a bit more than three weeks of steeping i gave my NET a vape and i must say i am impressed. Nice tabacco taste, i taste my pipe the Black & White is more on the fore ground now with the Boxer and Rum & Maple on the back notes.

The taste is just about spot on :)

I thought i will do the desert vapes as a ADV but after tasting this OMG i love the taste

Found a local supplier that is willing to sell organic leaves frome Zim... minimum order 50kg at R7000 a pop... not willing to sell smaller batches, back to the drawing board.
I have some Rooibos tea extracting now, anyone else do this before?

Did some research, it is NOT illegal to grow tobacco, and you do not need any licences... So here goes nothing!

Richards Bay boys trying to cook their own Blackbird.... :-D:-D:-D:-D
Call me when you have something vapeable.... would love to see how this turns out.

Found a local supplier that is willing to sell organic leaves frome Zim... minimum order 50kg at R7000 a pop... not willing to sell smaller batches, back to the drawing board.
I have some Rooibos tea extracting now, anyone else do this before?

What i thought. i will get back to that leafonly place.
All we need is a farmer, who'll send us a bunch of leaves.

rooibos, ja, i think it could be quite nice, especially if it is creamy on the exhale like some of HHV - like Dragon's Fire and Sludge. i dunno how to do that; 50-50 but it's always more "creamy", good vapour than anything i've mixed.
Did you get natural, i mean..you using teabags? i think they use something to make it draw quickly, same as normal tea. Last time i looked, last couple years, the old plain rooibos for boiling was not there anymore. i used to love it, now i don't like the smell.

Back