OBS Engine Reviews & Rambles

I have both and in limited humble experience, wicked right, the Serpent 25 gets the win regarding flavour. But once again ,,,, taste is very subjective.

You made me go search for this post @Deckie... and I have to agree... I don't think the OBS Engine is better for flavour... well for me and my XXX anyway. :-(

You made me go search for this post @Deckie... and I have to agree... I don't think the OBS Engine is better for flavour... well for me and my XXX anyway. :-(

Rob here is the post, my reasoning ....

Yes building on the OBS Engine is easy but once you have the building & wicking on the Serpent 25 waxed, it's a win in my circumstances. Yes the draw on the Engine is smoother but I found despite that, having the air hit the coils from the top, due to the design (which is ingenious regarding leaking), one tends to loose flavour. To me I found the flavour rather diluted with air, if you get what I'm saying. The flavour from the serpent is more full.

Flavour wise the OBS is maybe so gently less than the SM25 BUT for me the less fuss no spit back etc pushes it over the Serpent

@Daniel
Have tried various round wire builds and find flavor with them is not up there with Serpent.
Spaced Fused claptons, on the other hand, are on the money with regards to flavor.
This dec definitely appears to perform best with bigger wrapped wire type builds (claptons, fused claptons etc)
I also found better flavor the closer I could push the coils to the posts leaving as much space as possible on sides of coil for air to get down there
Also watched 11 different YouTube videos regarding wicking and cotton length.
In 8 of them wicks are cut in line with outer edge of build deck base and tucked in so they just appear under dec
1 has wicks cut long and tails tucked through holes and spread out along bottom base
2 have cotton just lightly tucked ontop of holes

So this is how I setup the engine. I basically use this technique on all my velocity style decks. What you do is you put the bottom lead of your coil in the top hole of your post and vise versa, the top lead into the bottom hole of your post. You start off with something like this.
2c5417bac9ccec7f7130428bc5975637.jpg

Make sure you don't pull the coils to close to the post as it will move closer to the posts when you straighten it out. So I left mine close to the edge of the inside base like so.
edb6ef814cbfe4c587d575b00a8f5e1c.jpg

Twisted it straight and this is what you end up with.
6ee4832bb5b3e8a3abcf8580608fff98.jpg

e2ab197a2df657f76a2b81445fadc688.jpg

Sent from my E2333 using Tapatalk

Don't let that stop you @Viper_SA , this tank is a real good one and I echo the accolades mentioned.Plus Daniel says can do!
So decided to try a single coil build as per the German video...

Single Clapton 0.85

2696f22a9205e8e48cbad74f292a3e90.jpg

All wicked and juiced with Rayon
5ba64c201bc9d3c9ff8ebe05bc3ca61c.jpg

8414d6d725bc660aac946379141442bf.jpg

Epic fail its true Rayon does NOT do well in tanks, dry hit highway.

OK redo with CBV2, Epic fail again unscrewed as you can mos rewick without emptying the tank. Yes that's if you unscrew the whole bloody thing and not leave the tank behind.... Curses...

135a576bc854211f5c07a9f9e7002e4a.jpg

Needless to say I stripped my moer and the little engine is on a timeout in the corner

Back to the SM25 for now, incedently the OBS drip tip actually works Lekker on the Serpent

6f5e6c195e09d7c1a10b6bb462493f09.jpg

Single Clapton 0.85

OK redo with CBV2, Epic fail again unscrewed as you can mos rewick without emptying the tank. Yes that's if you unscrew the whole bloody thing and not leave the tank behind.... Curses...

Needless to say I stripped my moer and the little engine is on a timeout in the corner

Back to the SM25 for now, incedently the OBS drip tip actually works Lekker on the Serpent

I enjoyed this more than i should have, bottom line = sm25 8--)

I would love to give the engine a go though, then there's the geekvape Ammit around the corner! Will wait for the 25mm "mini" though:nod: (fighting urges)

Last edited:
I enjoyed this more than i should have, bottom line = sm25 8--)

I would love to give the engine a go though, then there's the geekvape Ammit around the corner! Will wait for the 25mm "mini" though:nod: (fighting urges)

Haha , it was a bit 'tongue in cheek' but i am first to admit if certain things don't work well ... and this time it was my own stupidity ;) (dropped the SM25 as well LOL , just my luck no replacement glass either)

I will give the OBS another chance when I get the time. For now I'm grafting to get to Thursday and then the bush for 4 days next week!

Single Clapton 0.85

You made it look like it was designed for single coil.

Subjective is the key word, I get excellent flavor out of her.I love everything about the Engine. I am anxious though to try a Serpent Mini,she has created quite the reputation and the single coil does it for me. I am pretty sure one will be joining the family.Santa,are you listening?

Still trying to catch up on my current goodies under review... but this is on my list.
Happy to report that I have just ordered the Serpent mini on a flash sale at Gearbest for $16.95.I guess Santa was listening.

Mine had some serious oil spillage going on when I first got it. It's an awesome tank though. I couldn't get my hands on a SM25 at the time so I went for this.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
@Caveman , flash sale at Gearbest I just ordered it for $16.95usd

I think I need to rebuild the coils... at 0.28Ω the vape is too dry and a little too warm compared to the SM25... any suggestions?

Calling @BigGuy!
I don't know if this helps but I 'm doing dual Aliens (32 over 26g) .32ohm ramping OK at 36w,comfortablly warm at a lower,medium setting.

I don't know if this helps but I 'm doing dual Aliens (32 over 26g) .32ohm ramping OK at 36w,comfortablly warm at a lower,medium setting.

Funny I never seem to get better flavor from fancy coils vs my standard Ni80 builds... but there must be something to these fancy coils because I lot of people rate them so I will keep trying...

Funny I never seem to get better flavor from fancy coils vs my standard Ni80 builds... but there must be something to these fancy coils because I lot of people rate them so I will keep trying...
@Rob Fisher, i have encountered the exact same thing and im happy with my simple Ni80 builds. The only difference is these fancy coils need more power.

Same here, I like my plain coils.

I hear you Rob,some of the logic the Twisted Messes type of builders give such as more surface area and nooks and crannies for the juice makes sense but is the reward worth the effort?I mean a 6 wrap ,24g kanthal on a 3mm rod still works well,and I 'm vapeing on it in 5 minutes. I have found great flavor on the fancy builds but mainly I just like to build as a hobby type thing,it's fun for me.That is what makes vapeing so great.I had no idea when I picked up my first ego-vape where it was leading,to meeting new friends on line,exchanging ideas of all kinds and how much I enjoy all the cool things vapeing has to offer.And not to mention improving my health.Where the hell did this all come from?You only wanted info on builds,DOH!

Does anyone else obs seem to fire off gunshot pops when firing it for the first time after not using it for a while. Mine does this on every build. Quite scary how it pops on the first initial heat up

Does anyone else obs seem to fire off gunshot pops when firing it for the first time after not using it for a while. Mine does this on every build. Quite scary how it pops on the first initial heat up
Yup I benched it after I got some nice Piping hot juice on the tongue.... 'pop!' 'eina f... '

Back