Show Us Your Working Wick And Coil Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, can one safely use a sub ohm coil in a protank on a mech?
I've done it. Not recommended. Vape is a bit hot and you burn the rubber insulater very quickly. I won't be doing it again any time soon. 1.3 to 1.8 is where I like my pt coils.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

I've done it. Not recommended. Vape is a bit hot and you burn the rubber insulater very quickly. I won't be doing it again any time soon. 1.3 to 1.8 is where I like my pt coils.

Thanks man.. appreciate the info, guess I shall not be doing that.

I didnt say don't try just I don't recommend it :p

LOL

Well from your reasons for not recommending it I dont think I should give it a try, cant stand the burnt rubber smell or taste

So Ive been busy trying something new!
Loop D Loop
26g kanthal, 9 wraps (4 on each side, and 1 extra where it began), 1.1Ohms
IMG-20140331-00633.jpg IMG-20140331-00631.jpg IMG-20140331-00635.jpg IMG-20140331-00634.jpg IMG-20140331-00636.jpg IMG-20140331-00637.jpg IMG-20140331-00638.jpg
Vapes lika beast!!

And sommer cleaned everything last night so just went with a normal 9 wrap 26g coil 1.2Ohms on the Kayfun now rocking on the Nemi
IMG-20140331-00639.jpg IMG-20140331-00640.jpg

shew guys, some awesome looking coils here!!!

well done to all

Had to try the RSST. Coiled @ 1.1ohm, 7 wraps dual 28g @TylerD style. Wicked with some cotton. Not quite right for me. I will try some mesh and wire rope soon. I had to drill the airhole out to 1.5mm which works much better.
uploadfromtaptalk1396294355408.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1396294368135.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Had to try the RSST. Coiled @ 1.1ohm, 7 wraps dual 28g @TylerD style. Wicked with some cotton. Not quite right for me. I will try some mesh and wire rope soon. I had to drill the airhole out to 1.5mm which works much better.
View attachment 2782
View attachment 2783

Can you give us a review of how the cotton performs?

Am considering getting a genesis style RTA and not really keen on going the s/s mesh route.

the only wick for genesis style is ss rope with a layer of cotton.

tho cotton alone works but is finicky

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

@BhavZ the cotton has to be the right size. Too much cotton and there pretty much no wicking. I have used a much thinner cotton wick and it does work. It is still slow to wick though.
@Cape vaping supplies I think that ss rope will be the best judging from what I have read on the interwebs.

I have used a ceramic wick on mine. Perfect and it lasts for ages. SS mesh is not that difficult either, see peeps wrap it around silica or ekowool for better wicking. Wonder how does a plain silica wick work on it - that must have been about the only choice when they came out?

@Matthee , I tried a plain silica doubled over wick in the RSST, it really didn't work for me, it wasn't wicking fast enough and tilting didn't work well enough either. Cotton was better wicking, but still needed a little bit of a tilt every now and again to prevent a dry hit, ss mesh with a tiny cotton cover where the coil sits worked the best I think. I still need to try out the SS rope covered with a cover of cotten as @Cape vaping supplies suggests. But it's on the back burner, I never really had major joy with the RSST, there are other atty's which are easier to build so I kind of stopped trying! @thekeeperza your findings with cotton seem similar to mine!

@Matthee , I tried a plain silica doubled over wick in the RSST, it really didn't work for me, it wasn't wicking fast enough and tilting didn't work well enough either. Cotton was better wicking, but still needed a little bit of a tilt every now and again to prevent a dry hit, ss mesh with a tiny cotton cover where the coil sits worked the best I think. I still need to try out the SS rope covered with a cover of cotten as @Cape vaping supplies suggests. But it's on the back burner, I never really had major joy with the RSST, there are other atty's which are easier to build so I kind of stopped trying! @thekeeperza your findings with cotton seem similar to mine!
Thanks...saves me the trouble of trying with silica. The ceramic wick is amazing. No tilting required. But, unfortunately, not readily available.

Yup, @Matthee , I remember when you first told me about the ceramic I searched around a bit, but ultimately decided the cost and effort of importing wasn't worth it! I still always come back to a kayfun style RBA, so simple to set up and very consistent.

The Kayfun version.

Here's my hand at the double barrel. Two coils in parallel consisting of 10 wraps 3og kanthal around a 1mm id (20 gauge needle). Resistance is at 0.5 ohms.

DSC_0032.jpg DSC_0058.jpg DSC_0081.jpg
DSC_0083.jpg DSC_0093.jpg
DSC_0098.jpg DSC_0111.jpg DSC_0125.jpg

This did seem to eliminate the gurgling and leaking at first but as I'm typing this I hear that devilish *gluck gluck* and see some juice leaking out of the air hole. I turned it upside down and blew gently into the air hole with a tissue underneath the drip tip. The gurgling is gone now but I'm unsure for how long.

I've just completed this build so I'll give more feedback later but so far the vape has been very nice. Very warm with 8/10 throat hit and 9.5/10 flavour. Vapour production is a sub-par 6.5/10.

I do get an "almost" dry hit every 10 or so drags. Any ideas? Is it because the wick is too thin to accommodate the 1mm coil?

Is this how you suggest we wick the 4 channeled Kayfun @Cape vaping supplies?

Last edited:
Gorgeous coils - re the gurgling & dry hits I don't know, but surely someone will come with a solution.

yes thats the way.I think the ID is too small. try 1.5mm.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

The Kayfun version.

Here's my hand at the double barrel. Two coils in parallel consisting of 10 wraps 3og kanthal around a 1mm id (20 gauge needle). Resistance is at 0.5 ohms.

View attachment 2862 View attachment 2864 View attachment 2866
View attachment 2867 View attachment 2868
View attachment 2869 View attachment 2870 View attachment 2871

This did seem to eliminate the gurgling and leaking at first but as I'm typing this I hear that devilish *gluck gluck* and see some juice leaking out of the air hole. I turned it upside down and blew gently into the air hole with a tissue underneath the drip tip. The gurgling is gone now but I'm unsure for how long.

I've just completed this build so I'll give more feedback later but so far the vape has been very nice. Very warm with 8/10 throat hit and 9.5/10 flavour. Vapour production is a sub-par 6.5/10.

I do get an "almost" dry hit every 10 or so drags. Any ideas? Is it because the wick is too thin to accommodate the 1mm coil?

Is this how you suggest we wick the 4 channeled Kayfun @Cape vaping supplies?
Nice coils there! I would suggest at least 1.5mm coils to accommodate more cotton. Also, try and make the tails even longer to fit the whole channel even in the base.
I have found that coils smaller than 1.5mm give some try hits because the cotton cant keep up the wicking for 1mm coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back