Show Us Your Working Wick And Coil Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice @CraftyZA - I personally prefer the coil much closer to the air hole on sweeter juice, on tobacco flavours I prefer the warmer vape.
Call this an experiment. High ohms, so it preserve the sweetness, but warmer :)
I think this setup will be a winner on desert juices. Will try it with gambit. However gambit is phenomenal at low ohms.

Call this an experiment. High ohms, so it preserve the sweetness, but warmer :)
I think this setup will be a winner on desert juices. Will try it with gambit. However gambit is phenomenal at low ohms.

Super @CraftyZA

In line with my observation in my review of VM Legends Dean on the mPT2. It tasted sweeter at lower power. So the sweeter flavours like lower power or in mech terminology, higher ohms.

By the way, your coil being a bit higher surely increases the throat hit too? Not only higher temperature?

Super @CraftyZA

In line with my observation in my review of VM Legends Dean on the mPT2. It tasted sweeter at lower power. So the sweeter flavours like lower power or in mech terminology, higher ohms.

By the way, your coil being a bit higher surely increases the throat hit too? Not only higher temperature?
Slightly, but marginal. When i vape for satisfaction, i need it to hit like a freight train. These low power ones are simply for playing and taste, not so much "smoking" satisfaction.

Ok thanks i see.
I suppose the coil positioning makes more impact on throat hit at higher power/lower ohms

Using kayfun for sweet juices for now, so here a rather boring sweet juice coil.
8e6a7u9a.jpg

That leg on the left does not touch. 1.5 Ohm. Coil a bit closer to the chimney to increase temp. Prefer a warmer vape, even at higher ohms.
30g kanthal around screwdriver.
My experience on the Reo: Most sweet juices prefer low ohms, high heat. The closer to the air hole the coil, the more of the sweet tones you get. In fact, I prefer the coils quite far away - otherwise the sweetness is just too much for me. Of course, that also gives more throat hit, which I like. Vertical coiling should also lessen the sweet tones.

@Matthee, i think we should consider starting a "tuning" section, perhaps by major model
Ie how to tune the build for different types of flavours as well as throat hit and vapour.
Perhaps one for REOs, Kayfuns, iGOL etc

Here is a new coil design I tried. I call it the "Wat die fok is daie ding" coil.

Basically it is two coils made out of one strand of wire. Added to this I did a twist of 28 and 32g Kanthal to see what would happen.

2014-03-28 23.07.38.jpg

The idea is to make one coil, then make a loop for the center post, make a second coil on the other side, and secure the two loose legs to the outer post.

2014-03-28 23.11.01.jpg

2014-03-28 23.55.54.jpg

Wow its a pain securing two coil legs under one screw. Will be opting for slotted post atomiser designs as much as possible going forward.

It came out at .61 Ohms, and hits damn hard on the Igo. Too hard in fact for 12mg juice, but a great build for cloud chasing

Wow, things progress at a great pace. Your guys coils are absolutely awesome. Inspiring @devdev, that is a beautiful coil, very nicely done. And the ingenuity is superb. This thread has been a great inspiration to me(well, as of yesterday, because of @Cape vaping supplies, both this thread and the Reo thread are now my favorites). There is no way someone could read a thread like this and not try some of the builds.

Today after 5 failed attempts and 4 hours, I finally managed to make a twisted 32gauge Kathal, dual coil build on my Aqua RBA. She came out to 0.6 ohms, thanks @Matthee, this seems to be the sweet spot for this Aqua.

Ohm%20One.jpg

I tried getting the coils to a more 'Micro/Nano' spec but once I saw them I did not have the heart to undo it and redo them with tighter spacing.

Ohm%20Three.jpg

These are the babies glowing in all their glory. There where some hot leads, so I red warmed/pulsed them, and then pinched them a couple of times until only the coil was glowing. These coils get hot.........very quick. In fact, it glows so much that taking a picture is a miss and hit affair. This was after depressing the firing button for 3 seconds.

Anyways, I am super stoked with this, literally 3 second hits on the 'power' and then a deep vape is all you need for tremendous clouds and flavor. Running it on My Chi-You at the moment, very cautiously. No vape train for this baby, it is a hit every now and then, don't want to blow up. But, the battery does not get hot and I am using the Efest 18650 1600mah LI-MN 30Amps, so I am sure she will be fine. Still scared of sub ohm vaping after all the reading I done on the subject.

Thanks for this thread, thanks for this awesome community, and thanks for time of my life. LOVING VAPING!!!!! 0.6 ohms is however the lowest I will ever need to go, me thinks.

Here is a new coil design I tried. I call it the "Wat die fok is daie ding" coil.

Basically it is two coils made out of one strand of wire. Added to this I did a twist of 28 and 32g Kanthal to see what would happen.

View attachment 2632

The idea is to make one coil, then make a loop for the center post, make a second coil on the other side, and secure the two loose legs to the outer post.

View attachment 2633

View attachment 2630

Wow its a pain securing two coil legs under one screw. Will be opting for slotted post atomiser designs as much as possible going forward.

It came out at .61 Ohms, and hits damn hard on the Igo. Too hard in fact for 12mg juice, but a great build for cloud chasing

@devdev damn :eek: when i grow up i wanna build coils like you

Sent from my S4 LTE using my finger

Wow, things progress at a great pace. Your guys coils are absolutely awesome. Inspiring @devdev, that is a beautiful coil, very nicely done. And the ingenuity is superb. This thread has been a great inspiration to me(well, as of yesterday, because of @Cape vaping supplies, both this thread and the Reo thread are now my favorites). There is no way someone could read a thread like this and not try some of the builds.

Today after 5 failed attempts and 4 hours, I finally managed to make a twisted 32gauge Kathal, dual coil build on my Aqua RBA. She came out to 0.6 ohms, thanks @Matthee, this seems to be the sweet spot for this Aqua.

Ohm%20One.jpg

I tried getting the coils to a more 'Micro/Nano' spec but once I saw them I did not have the heart to undo it and redo them with tighter spacing.

Ohm%20Three.jpg

These are the babies glowing in all their glory. There where some hot leads, so I red warmed/pulsed them, and then pinched them a couple of times until only the coil was glowing. These coils get hot.........very quick. In fact, it glows so much that taking a picture is a miss and hit affair. This was after depressing the firing button for 3 seconds.

Anyways, I am super stoked with this, literally 3 second hits on the 'power' and then a deep vape is all you need for tremendous clouds and flavor. Running it on My Chi-You at the moment, very cautiously. No vape train for this baby, it is a hit every now and then, don't want to blow up. But, the battery does not get hot and I am using the Efest 18650 1600mah LI-MN 30Amps, so I am sure she will be fine. Still scared of sub ohm vaping after all the reading I done on the subject.

Thanks for this thread, thanks for this awesome community, and thanks for time of my life. LOVING VAPING!!!!! 0.6 ohms is however the lowest I will ever need to go, me thinks.

Great coiling there @Chop007 - yip not that easy to get dem twisted coils tight, well I cannot, but they give great flavour. Your are perfectly safe with that Efest battery at 0.6 ohm. And don't be afraid to vape train it, all that will happen is the battery will get drained quicker:). So all you really have to look out for is not to drain your batteries below around 3.5 V, but you will in any event feel the power becoming not enough at around 3.7 V.

Geez as soon as I think I've mastered 1 coil, there are suddenly 10 more types !
I have given up on keeping up - now I just look and admire.

Great coiling there @Chop007 - yip not that easy to get dem twisted coils tight, well I cannot, but they give great flavour. Your are perfectly safe with that Efest battery at 0.6 ohm. And don't be afraid to vape train it, all that will happen is the battery will get drained quicker:). So all you really have to look out for is not to drain your batteries below around 3.5 V, but you will in any event feel the power becoming not enough at around 3.7 V.

I have given up on keeping up - now I just look and admire.
Awesome, thanks a ton for your help, you are a credit to this forum and to vapers all over S.A. Your good deeds will be known by many before you even meet them. Your guidance has helped me and many stay away from those stinkies and that is tops in my book. Thanks a bunch.

As soon as I feel that battery draining even a little and the vape becomes less pronounced, then I check the voltage and bang, it needs a charge. It does drain about 60% faster though I must say. But that kick-ass vape is worth it.

Build @Zeki Helmi a little coil for his Russian.

ahupamyv.jpg

8ahahyzy.jpg

vy7e4edu.jpg

1.4 ohm
1.5 mm ID
7 wraps 30g kanthal

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Wow! That's an awesome build @Chop007 - go past your local dischem and get your hands on the pink, yellow and blue syringe needles. They are excellent mandrels for forming micro coils around. Try to grind off the sharp point if you can before you use them. It's easy to stab yourself.

Seeing your build has settled it, I am now going to get my hands on the Aqua. Those coils posts look like such a pleasure to work with instead of tiny screws.

Also, with your twisted build, did you use an electric drill to do the twist? That makes a much more uniform twist, and probably results in a tripling of the surface area, Check Riptrippers on twisted coils, its very very easy to do.

@Cape vaping supplies won't that coil land up shorting on the edge of the Reomiser's chamber? Or am I missing something here

im on the edge. flavor is awesome right there. there is like 3 strands of hair space between the coil and cap. I fired it up and there is no shorts just need to be careful not to disturb the coil

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Wow! That's an awesome build @Chop007 - go past your local dischem and get your hands on the pink, yellow and blue syringe needles. They are excellent mandrels for forming micro coils around. Try to grind off the sharp point if you can before you use them. It's easy to stab yourself.

Seeing your build has settled it, I am now going to get my hands on the Aqua. Those coils posts look like such a pleasure to work with instead of tiny screws.

Also, with your twisted build, did you use an electric drill to do the twist? That makes a much more uniform twist, and probably results in a tripling of the surface area, Check Riptrippers on twisted coils, its very very easy to do.

@Cape vaping supplies won't that coil land up shorting on the edge of the Reomiser's chamber? Or am I missing something here
No doubt, the Aqua is a pleasure to build and wicking is so easy. But you have to spend some time with the beast to sort out filling, gurgling and slight leaking.

I do agree the aqua is a tad too complicated to get right imo. I can't stand the air control on it :(

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Awesome thanks @devdev, I will get some of those needles, seen on riptrippers they use the piano wire. I used a coil jig that I made with some stainless steel wire to twist the wire, took forever. I have seen the dude using the battery powered drill, I have one just like it, excellent idea, thank you, that should make the build more uniform, you are correct.

Out of curiosity, can one safely use a sub ohm coil in a protank on a mech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back