Votes: 26 24.3%
  • I mainly use POWER mode - I like it more than Temp Control

Votes: 36 33.6%
  • I occasionally use Temp Control - sometimes I like it - it has its place

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • I use Temp Control mostly - love it!

Votes: 19 17.8%

• Total voters
@Nico_gti are you running a spaced or compressed coil build? Something we discussed in a thread a few days ago that compressed coils lead to 'Sympathetic' heating of each other and throw the entire TC system out. Perhaps that is your issue?

This may be the problem as they aren't spaced. Will have a search for that thread and have a read. Thanks @Soutie

I've been an advocate of TC for quite a long time, but I don't vape TC exclusively. There are one or two of my setups which only do normal power mode. However, in the TC realm, I have wide ranging tastes. I build Ni coils quite regularly, because I absolutely love the clean and swift vape Ni gives. I also love using twisted Ti for cloud builds. Finally, SS I love for the no-fuss of it (especially with the newer firmware upgrades and mods giving much more accurate SS TC), and the ability to build crazier Claptons and whatnot while still operating in TC.

As to the growing pro's and cons list:

• I have never really noticed a decrease in battery life when using TC. I know that, in theory, you operate at a lower wattage in TC mode. However, I've also noticed that my ramp-up wattages tends to be higher in TC. So, for me at least, I find that I mostly operate on the same average watt output when using TC than the constant wattage used in power mode.
  • The same goes for juice consumption. If anything, I think my juice consumption is higher in TC. I don't really understand some of the arguments made for TC's supposed lower juice consumption. Generally speaking, in power mode, the temperature of the wire increases linearly until it reaches an equilibrium built from the heated wire and cooling air/vaporisation. In most TC setups, the temperature reaches the limit (usually around the same equilibrium in order to give a satisfying vape) much quicker - which would mean it generally vaporises more juice, right?
One or two points missing:
  • TC is great for juice tasting. Whether you are a commercial mixologist, a DIYer, or just somebody who likes tasting and reviewing juices, TC is a great way to figure out a) the various profiles present in a juice, and b) the optimum temperature (whether limited by TC or produced in Power mode) for all the notes of a juice to work in harmony. By limiting temperature deferentially, you can get a qualitative profile of which flavour notes peak at specific temperatures. This is very useful not only to identify present notes in a juice, but also for juices which are currently being figured out - a desired flavour note maybe only comes out at a specific temperature, but is masked by another note at a different temp. TC juice tasting allow those of us with less finely tuned senses to identify which notes to strengthen and which notes to weaken.
  • TC allows for different styles of vaping. Whereas the general Power mode vaping effectively gives a buildup of coil temperature until it reaches the equilibrium temperature (or goes beyond it and starts burning), TC allows for various other styles, such as "Quick ramp-up and then sustain", or "high-power without fear of dry-hitting". At the moment, I have an interesting setup in my Theorem, where I have a large pre-heat (giving an instant bang of flavour), but then drop to low wattages and then ramp up to the limited temperature. It gives surprisingly interesting vape, especially with flavoured coffee juices (such as hazelnut lattes), where I've found that the coffee can easily mask other flavours which need higher temperatures to complete. For more of my own speculations, see this link (Section 6. Everything else is highly outdated though!).
  • TC is great for research. I know this is not an active area, or even anything of importance to the average vaper, but aen tty manufacturers and tinkerers alike can gain so much information regarding the performance (cloud/flavour/spitback/etc.) by investigating temperature profiles through software such as EScribe. I myself embarked on this a couple of months ago, and unfortunately got way to busy at work to finish it. However, there are still so many questions which I want definite answers for, questions such as "What makes a flavour atty?" or "what is the result of smaller ID builds in specific chambers?". While we can speculate many reasons (such as smaller chambers = better flavour because of X), computer-aided TC gives at least some way to measure and monitor what is going on in your atty.
Finally, I do agree that TC is finicky as hell. It is not yet consistent (250 deg C in one atty/build is the same as 220 dec C in another), it is too reliant on the environment (resistance locking, cold-resistance and RT properties of mods are not yet fully optimised solutions) and the need to set everything just right (TCR, ramp wattages, etc.) gets very annoying at times. If you have a Kanthal setup which works absolutely for you, then TC is probably not going to add anything on top of that. But that said, when TC is done right, it just works beautifully.

Hi guys, might veer off topic slightly.
Got myself an Rx 200 and wanted to try out temp mode. Running 24ga ss, 7 wraps coming in at .24ohms. Got the rx set at 210c and 60w and keep hitting temp protection thus not really enjoying the vape. Any assistance?

Which SS wire are you using? SS304, 316 or 316l?

Got myself an Rx 200 and wanted to try out temp mode. Running 24ga ss, 7 wraps coming in at .24ohms. Got the rx set at 210c and 60w and keep hitting temp protection thus not really enjoying the vape. Any assistance?
I think your temp is too low and its reaching the cutoff point rapidly.
Drop the watts/joules to 55 and bump the temp up to 220, then play from there.
If its still an anemic vape then check your TCR, should be .00088 for 316L, and finally, make sure to set the initial coil resistance at room temp.

Maybe start a new thread? Or move it to another thread? I've never had a problem with compressed coils and TC. But a number of other things can be wrong. A big culprit more often than not is non-identical dual coils, or non-identical wicking. Is the base resistance measured at RT? Have you tried pushing the temperature up?

Tried Temp control on my Pico Mega. Didn't work. Used temp control on my Reuleaux 2/3 worked great, until I did the firmware upgrade. Now it refuses to work.

Messed around with TC on my Eleaf I sticks 60W with Nickel factory coils. Wasn't impressed.

In conclusion, I am not into TC. I prefer Wattage mode. I like to keep it simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have no experience at all using TC. But after coming to this forum I boned up some on it when I started buying all the TC mods. I decided not to bother with it at all. I'm in KISS mode these days with vaping after getting burned out with trying/doing the hype's for almost anything during my early years of vaping. So I only run my TC mods in power mode and have no desire to ever use TC despite any hyped so called benefits. The benefits I get in power mod on these toys is good enough for me. I'm Old Skol, stubborn and set in my ways. But this works just fine for me with the TC mods whether right or wrong in others opinions. In the end I'm the only one I need to please.

The TC mods were bought in support of this forum because that is what most of the active folks here run. They will never replace the Reos.

None of the options were an exact fit @Silver, so I didn't vote in your poll.

Have no experience at all using TC. But after coming to this forum I boned up some on it when I started buying all the TC mods. I decided not to bother with it at all. I'm in KISS mode these days with vaping after getting burned out with trying/doing the hype's for almost anything during my early years of vaping. So I only run my TC mods in power mode and have no desire to ever use TC despite any hyped so called benefits. The benefits I get in power mod on these toys is good enough for me. I'm Old Skol, stubborn and set in my ways. But this works just fine for me with the TC mods whether right or wrong in others opinions. In the end I'm the only one I need to please.

The TC mods were bought in support of this forum because that is what most of the active folks here run. They will never replace the Reos.

None of the options were an exact fit @Silver, so I didn't vote in your poll.

Thanks @Spydro - as long as you are happy with your vape - then that is all that counts!

I have used TC for a while trying to figure it out. Not really for my style of vaping but i loved the fast ramp up, and then my mod had an update that added pre-heat function and have never been back to TC. With the pre heat i can do nice build and and run it in power mode without the slow ramp up, so for me the pre heat function killed temp control!
Just my 2c!
Interesting topic still !

I just bought another Mod, The EVic VTC Duel - 75 - 150W. Went through the menu, acquainted myself with it, read the instructions. Quite a nice Mod, value for money. Just to highlight my take on Temperature Control, I vaped on in it all day, and I am not in the slightest interested in even trying out the TC modes. Even though I have many Attys ready to try on.

I suppose we are all different. Perhaps I just enjoy a nice full hit if Vape somewhere in between 40 to 55 Watts without any fuss. Don't get me wrong, I like the technical side of Mods, with all the bells and whistles, but I have resolved that TC is not for me.

Now I have my eye on the VGod Mech pro. I just love the design, the simplicity and robustness of this mechanical mod. It looks bullet proof, almost like it is built to last a life time.

I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread to gauge how many of you are using temp control regularly in your vaping.

I see it has come a long way from those early days when Ni200 coils were finicky and difficult to work with. Nowadays temp control is possible on many coil materials - even Kanthal - with the Hohm Slice I see!

My experience with temp control is very limited. Have vaped on a few setups of my vaping mates and have dabbled a bit with temp control using stainless steel coils. It has left me rather underwhelmed and i have not enjoyed it much. I usually get a weaker vape and want more intensity. If I set the temp high enough its very similar to power mode. Hence i almost always use power mode on my several temp control mods.

Maybe it's just me and my vaping style - or that I havent experimented enough. Or maybe its just that I like that build up of intensity as the coil fires so the last part of the vape is more mighty! Maybe it has to do with the menthol burn I crave on longer restricted ling hits - which intensifies at the last part of the draw. I dont know.

Please vote on the poll above and feel free to comment in the thread on this.

What is your experience with temp control?
Are you using it alot?
Are you enjoying it?
Is it juice dependent?
Using it a lot more with my Hohm Slice,i do still enjoy conventional t.c. on occasion and juice consumption is not an issue since I make my own.

Never use TC anymore. Tried it for a while with SS coils, worked ok-ish, if a bit finicky, but just naturally drifted back to wattage mode. It's a bit like driving an automatic. No feeling the machine under your control. Just didn't find it worth the effort.

Temp control definately saves my juice consumption and helps with coil life. It also has the protection factor, but my mod already has that built it so its not a factor. I can also take much longer hits. But in power control I can get a much better flavor, and much denser clouds with shorter hits. The flavor is not really brought out in temp control, even at max temp (600F). I go between the two, but if money were no factor, I would definately prefer cranking up the watts and enjoing the increased taste, and bigger clouds. Using SS .25 Ohm DCs @ 48 Watts, and its optimal. In TC using the same coil I run it at 600F MAX and it is just short of getting the optimal taste. I also havent had much time with TC as I recently purchased a SMOK Micro TC 80. Maybe it needs to be calibrated? Also havent tried different VG:pG ratios with it, and have been using Max VG.

Temp control definately saves my juice consumption and helps with coil life. It also has the protection factor, but my mod already has that built it so its not a factor. I can also take much longer hits. But in power control I can get a much better flavor, and much denser clouds with shorter hits. The flavor is not really brought out in temp control, even at max temp (600F). I go between the two, but if money were no factor, I would definately prefer cranking up the watts and enjoing the increased taste, and bigger clouds. Using SS .25 Ohm DCs @ 48 Watts, and its optimal. In TC using the same coil I run it at 600F MAX and it is just short of getting the optimal taste. I also havent had much time with TC as I recently purchased a SMOK Micro TC 80. Maybe it needs to be calibrated? Also havent tried different VG:pG ratios with it, and have been using Max VG.
The flavour is also dependant on how easily juice flows through your wick. Temp control prevents any killing of your wicks, and can also survive longer than normal kanthal mods.

You will be using Titanium, Naaichrome, or Stainless Steel {my fav} - normal stainless is great for flavour. My max wattage in TC will be between 26,7 and 36,9 watts - Temperatures will be around 190-250 degrees celsius. -

You should notice different tastes or flavours as you adjust the temperature. All tanks are now TC compatible since I've been enjoying this predominantly.

However, the performance of TC: depends on your building skills - Spacing can be important, depending on your reps per coils etc. as well - Low Ohm builds are very easy, but Im wanting to try high-er ohm builds these days. Trying for 0,5 -because i can use less amperage on the batteries; when the mod is drawing less amps due to higher resistance, instead of leaking a battery, on say 0,19 ohms.

TC = The best = ∞ & every ever ∞

Nothing can beat it, and it's also nice to compare the wattage taste/clouds etc compared to TC;

It is always a work in progress to get the right vape for your time in need though - TC = your settings should always be in Flux, due to wanting to try something different with the same juice/taste-melody;

Juice consumption has been dramatic - 100ml's can last me longer than a month :) >3ml per day :D

Tried Temp control on my Pico Mega. Didn't work. Used temp control on my Reuleaux 2/3 worked great, until I did the firmware upgrade. Now it refuses to work.

Messed around with TC on my Eleaf I sticks 60W with Nickel factory coils. Wasn't impressed.

In conclusion, I am not into TC. I prefer Wattage mode. I like to keep it simple.

What happened with the firmware upgrade? have you tried setting the values for TCR- to make it vape as you want it?

TC = ultimate control to what you want, without burning or overconsuming

I never use temp control...seriously....and I still love these new shiny VW mods...

I feel you @Waine! I love new and shiny things and despite getting a mod that is supposed to be the Bee's Knees for Temp Control (Knight with SX550J) I use it for a simple 28W in power mode. Some would say that is like feeding strawberries to pigs... Oink. :D
PitStop 013.JPG

I have consciously been trying to keep my temp below the 215°C to minimize the exposure of biproducts caused by higher temps. I tend to vape too hot in general so via TC I have kinda learned to curb my heat needs. I don't constantly use TC as for instance a spaced SS316L coil spits like a lisping Deamon in a Hadaly. But at least I have a feel for how hot 215°C feels now. I do slowly want to start gearing myself better for creating SS316L Claptons and Aliens for the Hadaly and Avo etc.
There is actually very few exotic TC coils available at this stage but I'm sure it will change in due time.

I have consciously been trying to keep my temp below the 215°C to minimize the exposure of biproducts caused by higher temps. I tend to vape too hot in general so via TC I have kinda learned to curb my heat needs. I don't constantly use TC as for instance a spaced SS316L coil spits like a lisping Deamon in a Hadaly. But at least I have a feel for how hot 215°C feels now. I do slowly want to start gearing myself better for creating SS316L Claptons and Aliens for the Hadaly and Avo etc.
There is actually very few exotic TC coils available at this stage but I'm sure it will change in due time.
Temperature control caught my interest a year or so back and haven't vaped power mode since. It's consistency of flavour, and I also vape at high temps and that's what temp control is useful for to me at least. Then again I like to mess around with settings, and so it won't be long before I go the escribe DNA route, keeps my little addiction/hobby interesting ... and the vendors financially solvent :p

Temperature control caught my interest a year or so back and haven't vaped power mode since. It's consistency of flavour, and I also vape at high temps and that's what temp control is useful for to me at least. Then again I like to mess around with settings, and so it won't be long before I go the escribe DNA route, keeps my little addiction/hobby interesting ... and the vendors financially solvent :p
Wait for DNA75-C. A tinkerers dream machine at this stage.

I feel you @Waine! I love new and shiny things and despite getting a mod that is supposed to be the Bee's Knees for Temp Control (Knight with SX550J) I use it for a simple 28W in power mode. Some would say that is like feeding strawberries to pigs... Oink. :D
View attachment 92021
@Rob Fisher ,You cease to amaze me,how long have you had the Knight?(please do a review) I understand the reference of strawberries to pigs as my Sx mini has superior T.C. but sometimes I love it and sometimes not so much but I haven't done due diligence like Darryn has,my laziness perhaps.Watts mode is set and forget,the easy life for me.

@Rob Fisher ,You cease to amaze me,how long have you had the Knight?(please do a review) I understand the reference of strawberries to pigs as my Sx mini has superior T.C. but sometimes I love it and sometimes not so much but I haven't done due diligence like Darryn has,my laziness perhaps.Watts mode is set and forget,the easy life for me.

@kev mac I have had my Knight for a couple of weeks now and was lucky enough to have gotten hold of the first Stab Wood Knight on the planet... I'm not really in a position to do a review (well and in-depth one) because I don't really study the chipsets in-depth... I use a device like a normal vaper would and if I don't have any issues then I think it's a good product... the Knight is a dual 18650 so it's not that small which is always a bit of an issue for me but the SX550J chipset is very advanced and I don't think I have even played with 95% of it's capabilities... I run it in power mode at around 28 watts to drive my Skyline... the battery life is great, the colour screen is brilliant, the vape is excellent and it well made and looks great... it can also be used when I need over 100 watts of power to test a fat tank...

If you want a Rolls Royce Mod that has tons of features, looks good and you have a wad of spare cash then it's for you. Yes I will keep mine because it is a special mod but I don't use it very much because I find the Billet Box just perfect for me from all points of view.

But in short when I spend some time using it I will do a review...

Back