To Mech or not to Mech, that is the question.

Is a mech setup worth the cost, or is the money better off staying in the budget for other things?

• Total voters
I remember @Waine mentioning a mech mod with built-in safety measures or something like that? Sounds ideal ...

Hi there. Since that post, I make reference to these as "Semi-Mech" mods for want of a better description I.e. My 2 Noisy Cricket II -25's and 2 Tesla Invader III, which I really enjoy. They hit hard and raw but have very basic safety chips that will avoid building too low or placing the batteries in the wrong way around. Basically they prevent you from blowing off your hand.

I only have 3 Pure Mech mods: One Noisy Cricket 1 and 2 SIMPL tube mods. The latter are really cheap and not that great. The former is a cute little work horse.

I intend to treat myself with a decent Pure Mech mod for my birthday in January. By then I predict there will be an explosion of awesome new Mech mods on sale. Just look at the Sir Vape website. They release a new Mech mod almost every week now. They sell like hot cakes albeit at very high end prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fully agree that it is quite a dilemma, with making certain dangerous things available to those who are able to safely use them versus having a mostly regulatory free (currently) industry.

I do think that the indemnity is rather important when buying one, just so that people understand the brevity of the device.

With regards to Geek vapes "starter kit"
That is just appalling. Honestly their name just leaves a rather sour taste in my mouth now.

I have been using mechs pretty much since I started a couple years back. Just to clarify I am fully able to safely use these devices. Within the limits of my own knowledge.

I would however like to know if I should go for the Sub Ohm Inovations Shorty with a Goon (all clone)- like the OP image- or the Able/ Scndrl.

Perhaps someone has some experience with them?

I have never been without a mech. Have 5 at the moment they get a good clean every now and then ( button maintenance is a thing) and have never had ro replace one of them. One I've had for 3 years. I do have a regulated mod graveyard though

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

It all comes down to personal preferences, and there are valid arguments for both side. I personally love both, VM and mechs, but whatever floats your boat and gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. I would like to add, that if you want something to last you a long time, then you cant go wrong with a mech. you might need to spend a bit more in the beginning, but if you take what VM mods cost now and how they hardly last longer than a year (for me atleast) then you cant go wrong with a mech
I thoroughly agree although dual battery mech's row my boat.A good mech will always have it's place in the vape world,especially a semi with a bit of safety measures thrown in the mix,such as the Cricket v2.Series mech's are cool,though I think they should stay in the home.Not out and about mods IMO.

Last edited:
I have never been without a mech. Have 5 at the moment they get a good clean every now and then ( button maintenance is a thing) and have never had ro replace one of them. One I've had for 3 years. I do have a regulated mod graveyard though

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
A man's man.

Just looking at the @SirVape website, they have got some stunning new Mech mods on sale. I just cannot hold back. At the end of the month I will be getting one. Either the RIG V3 by Vapeamp (25mm) or the
Authentic Kennedy Roundhouse 25mm. There is such an appeal to these style of mods, hard to describe.

0b42a04118f0e74e12b722d1785cf260.png

21bc040470d08f907909c6ff19a0614b.png

9c5661e2e2f2e0e216ed5f43457cffbb.png

To all Mech mod lovers. Out of these three, which two do you recommend I get? I'm holding thumbs that they are not sold out by month end.

To all Mech mod lovers. Out of these three, which two do you recommend I get? I'm holding thumbs that they are not sold out by month end.

Rig V3 without a doubt.

For me its a toss up between the Roundhouse or the RigV3. I'd go with the Roundhouse if I needed a daily driver but I'd go with the RigV3 if I was just adding to my mech collection ....and then get Roundhouse later.:rofl:

Just looking at the @SirVape website, they have got some stunning new Mech mods on sale. I just cannot hold back. At the end of the month I will be getting one. Either the RIG V3 by Vapeamp (25mm) or the
Authentic Kennedy Roundhouse 25mm. There is such an appeal to these style of mods, hard to describe.

Has anyone checked out the Piglet?

For me its a toss up between the Roundhouse or the RigV3. I'd go with the Roundhouse if I needed a daily driver but I'd go with the RigV3 if I was just adding to my mech collection ....and then get Roundhouse later.:rofl:

@DoubleD Thanks for that. As gorgeous as the Asmodus is, it is 24.5 mm, which is a bit of a bummer, so there will be a slight overhang when using 25mm Attys. Whereas the V2 and the Roundhouse are both 25mm.

Decided to dust off the old Nemesis and used one on the Nemi. Looks weird with the glass cap but it Vapes pretty decent for a single coil build and I can see how much to drip.

46dd5e11227432580542fb006059c3de.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to dust off the old Nemesis and seeing as the crap FT Velocity BF atties does not fit on any of my mods used one on the Nemi. Looks weird with the glass cap but it Vapes pretty decent for a single coil build and I can see how much to drip.

46dd5e11227432580542fb006059c3de.jpg
Always good to pull out an oldie but goodie

A while ago I resurrected two old mech mods, like @kev mac (Nemesis and Stingray). Really enjoyed them for a while, particularly the Stingray, but went back to regulated mods. I think that I am always aware of the dangers of mech mods and therefore prefer the relative safety of regulated mods.

Every month I scour my favorite vendors website, plotting what to buy within my vaping budget. (I always exceed my budget)

I have made a decision to buy only Mech mods from now on. Well, for a while anyway. "Never say never". (Not to say I will never buy a VW mod again.)

There are so many new VW mods coming out, but it's always the same thing, re wired, re hashed and re-presented.

In my mind, as beautiful as these VW mods are, will they still work in 2 or 3 years time? Most are made in China. Most cell phones give in after 2 or 3 years.

I like the idea of owning a high end (non Chinese) Mech mod, a chunk of shiny copper, brass or Stainless Steel, with a bullet proof firing button, that hits hard and will last me for many years to come.

I cannot wait for month end to pick up the Rig V3 and the Kennedy Roundhouse 25 Tube mechanical mods. And the fun lies in building coils safely to suit the strength of the desired hit.

I am so excited. I am definitely jumping on this new Mech mod craze.

Im also interested in one but have you seen the switch yet? That one part I have yet to see of the Sheamus
Think oom @KZOR did a review on it maybe he can comment. Think it's a recessed switch so no fiddling with locking rings etc. And it's brass so hits like a freight train....

Im also interested in one but have you seen the switch yet? That one part I have yet to see of the Sheamus

Yes it does have a recessed fire button and is really nice... no issue standing it up. ONe of the better fire buttons as far as I'm concerned on a mech.
Shamus 001.JPG Shamus 002.JPG

Can I run my Phenom Mech with a Goon 24mm RDA?

What build (im ohms) would be suitable for that with a green Samsung battery?

My 3 cents: I would suggest staying within 0.30 to 0.40 Ohms, as a "ball park" figure when experimenting with a new RDA and a tube Mech mod. Keep it high to start with, then work down lower if you feel you want a bit more kick. Or go higher if it is too hard. Use Steam-engine and test on a VW mod first.

There is no vape like a 0.1 ohm dual Aliens on a mech, just carry a box of batteries in your bag and you are sorted :p

This is my build on the CSMNT Rda, running it on my Paddy or VGOD mech, paddy hits a tad harder though.

20161228_183352.jpg

Back