To Mech or not to Mech, that is the question.

Is a mech setup worth the cost, or is the money better off staying in the budget for other things?

• Total voters

Michaelsa

Nicotine Connoisseur
LV

Awards
So shortly after going to a cloud comp and trying out of of the "trickster's" mech mods, I began thinking about my early days of vaping, when I finally found a mod. Things like the nemasis and so on. I immediately started craving those days of building below 0.1 ohms. Those days of having to carry millions of batteries in my bag...

I did some research and soon realized that my meager bank account definitely doesn't not negotiate on the terms which authentic mods provide. So clones would be my only option.
AV able and SCNDRl clones are roughly $30 plus the import fees and shipping et cetra, so it comes out to about R700 roughly
Or I can get a Sub Zero Shorty and a Goon clone from thevapoury.co.za for R850 in total, and thus still have the security of returns et cetra.

I am sadly obsessed now with single battery mechs. I have been pouring my eyes out at them for literal weeks. This means one thing and one thing only. I shan't stop until I get one or drop
Attempting to do so.

Is this a silly idea which I will regret or is it viable?

What insight to you have?
IMG_6658.JPG

-Mike

Personally, I have switched from VW Mods to Mech mods or "Semi-Mech" Mods. I love the simplicity, strength and the fact that they will inevitably outlast a VW mod. They also have a raw, rugged appeal. I have always had an affinity for brass and copper items. I love the metals. If I look at the picture you posted, I see an object of beauty. It looks stunning. The feel in the hand it so rewarding.

Every time I have tried to use temperature control on one of my VW mods, I get problems. I hate TC. I am also a vaper who does not like to buy mods, try them out and then sell them. I but to keep. I see myself as a collector as well as a vaper hobbyist.

In ten years time, vaping will have evolved so much that some of these awesome Mech mods will be collector items. Whereas I am guessing that many of our VW mods will have conked in.

The answer to the question for me is: Mech mods all the way! And RDA's. I love my RDA's - no glass to break, it's fun engaging in the dripping ritual and the flavor is better than a RTA.

Most Mech mod enthusiasts are also RDA users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all comes down to personal preferences, and there are valid arguments for both side. I personally love both, VM and mechs, but whatever floats your boat and gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. I would like to add, that if you want something to last you a long time, then you cant go wrong with a mech. you might need to spend a bit more in the beginning, but if you take what VM mods cost now and how they hardly last longer than a year (for me atleast) then you cant go wrong with a mech

An authentic SOI Shorty Competition Kit without any extras will cost you upwards of R3k before shipping and import fees.

Do I still want one? Hell yes.

d050934ee16ee63aaa4322c1a4f00f7e.jpg

I reply to both of your comments @SmokeyJoe and @Waine .

I fully agree with your statements, at most I get 6 months out of a reg mod. And the qualms are many with them. Be it the leaking which may destroy a board or the switches failing. To the terrible build quality.

Mechs are like cockroaches to me. But sexier...

Do you recon that sub zero and goon combo is decent? It's not hybrid though, which I am rather scared of, in terms of voltage drop.

Am not a tube mech user but been vaping on the REOs (mechanicals) for over two years. I like the directness of the power delivery (no buzzing or pulsing) and their durability.

Eyeing out a few nice tubes now

That said I also like my regulated devices for workhorse vaping. They all serve their purpose in my book.

Mechs have there a place in the Vaping world. They are quite awesome but I prefer to use a Regular VW Mod IPV4 for day to day use.

Long run they are awesome for DIY testing with a nice RDA. Constant power to the coil no drops. My Fav was the Fuhattan v2 I think. I dropped it a few times still worked wasn't too expensive R250.

You need to keep an eye on your mech they will roll off a table and then you atty glass all over the floor. :-D

I alos like both.
I love the Mechs for the simplicity and raw power.
I love my Regulated mods just as much for the fine tuning and the fact that you will get the desired power until the batteries are dead, where on a Mech the power diminishes as the batteries drain.
At the end of the day it comes down to what floats your boat and as stated, gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Enjoy the journey!

I alos like both.
I love my Regulated mods just as much for the fine tuning and the fact that you will get the desired power until the batteries are dead, where on a Mech the power diminishes as the batteries drain.
At the end of the day it comes down to what floats your boat and as stated, gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Enjoy the journey!

Yep, that battery drain on a mech is a *****.. Love the battery life of regulated mods more now from the Hana Mods to what we get these days.They have improved so much battery..Just convenient and Long lasting. Regulated Mod + 2x18650's just works better IMO

For those of us who have been vaping since 2012/2013 will know this is the return of a legend. However, it comes with caveats in my personal opinion:
The massive advancements in technology this really is nothing more then a novelty because they look cool in the hand and have that bad ass appeal to them.

I see passed that, there is little to no benefit for me. From the high battery drain and thus poor battery life. Limited builds and finally the lack of safety it provides for new vapers is staggering. Specially when everyone vapes on coils below 0.2ohm all the time..

If you are new to vaping please just avoid it. We at Vape King make customers sign and indemnity form when purchasing a mech mod due to its risks.

If you are a serious cloud chaser there is nothing like a hard hitting mech mod .... finish and klaar.

If you like me and you just like the simplicity of semi-mechs , get a NC II .....
There is definitely room for regulated mods , and I will keep my Minikin V2 just cause of the battery life for mindless vaping.

I can see older authentic tube mods becoming like collectors items , much like the knife world quality and aesthetics will always be sought after. That's if you the collector type.

Am not a tube mech user but been vaping on the REOs (mechanicals) for over two years. I like the directness of the power delivery (no buzzing or pulsing) and their durability.

Eyeing out a few nice tubes now

That said I also like my regulated devices for workhorse vaping. They all serve their purpose in my book.

Reos have always been an aspiration of mine, unfortunately I just can't justify that kind of money on one. For myself a thousand rand mod is a large investment in vaping. Hence my Necessity for cloned devices.

But the reos I have used have made me almost splurge on one :p

They are just so gosh darn addicting.

Mechs have there a place in the Vaping world. They are quite awesome but I prefer to use a Regular VW Mod IPV4 for day to day use.

Long run they are awesome for DIY testing with a nice RDA. Constant power to the coil no drops. My Fav was the Fuhattan v2 I think. I dropped it a few times still worked wasn't too expensive R250.

You need to keep an eye on your mech they will roll off a table and then you atty glass all over the floor. :-D

By all means regs are far superior when it comes to both battery life and safety. But that raw feeling of a mech is just so much better for that occasional vape

I alos like both.

Enjoy the journey!
I most definitely get the fuzzy's from mechs:inlove:

Yep, that battery drain on a mech is a *****.. Love the battery life of regulated mods more now from the Hana Mods to what we get these days.They have improved so much battery..Just convenient and Long lasting. Regulated Mod + 2x18650's just works better IMO
It is more convenient, but as a special occasion device I think it would be fantastic IMO

For those of us who have been vaping since 2012/2013 will know this is the return of a legend. However, it comes with caveats in my personal opinion:
The massive advancements in technology this really is nothing more then a novelty because they look cool in the hand and have that bad ass appeal to them.

I see passed that, there is little to no benefit for me. From the high battery drain and thus poor battery life. Limited builds and finally the lack of safety it provides for new vapers is staggering. Specially when everyone vapes on coils below 0.2ohm all the time..

If you are new to vaping please just avoid it. We at Vape King make customers sign and indemnity form when purchasing a mech mod due to its risks.
I've only been vaping for almost three years, but I certainly have seen the vast improvements in technology.
But nostalgia is as it is, I miss me old mods...

If you are a serious cloud chaser there is nothing like a hard hitting mech mod .... finish and klaar.

If you like me and you just like the simplicity of semi-mechs , get a NC II .....
There is definitely room for regulated mods , and I will keep my Minikin V2 just cause of the battery life for mindless vaping.

I can see older authentic tube mods becoming like collectors items , much like the knife world quality and aesthetics will always be sought after. That's if you the collector type.
They will most definitely be seen as a collectors item in a short while, I'm busy fixing up my mates vanilla (authentic) while he is away on holiday, so I have it for roughly a month, gosh it's just making my drool for my own. :inlove:

There is a huge craze on its way - I see all the vape shows / reviewers are talking about the return of the Tube Style Mech - which has left me with mixed emotions about it. On the one side, Mech Tubes could become more affordable - and easier to come by, and also include better safety features. (this excludes hybrid tubes of course).

On the other side I see china pushing less safe clones into shops all over the world - and everybody buying one, who has no clue what they dealing with. They just want a bigger cloud, and we all know where that will end up - More tragic burns and explosions - and bad publicity due to outright stupidity, and negligence.

Unless you are entering cloud compo's - there is no need for mech mods, other than novelty.
IF YOU ARE A NEW VAPER DONT GET SWOOPED UP IN THIS LATEST CRAZE !!

There is a huge craze on its way - I see all the vape shows / reviewers are talking about the return of the Tube Style Mech - which has left me with mixed emotions about it. On the one side, Mech Tubes could become more affordable - and easier to come by, and also include better safety features. (this excludes hybrid tubes of course).

On the other side I see china pushing less safe clones into shops all over the world - and everybody buying one, who has no clue what they dealing with. They just want a bigger cloud, and we all know where that will end up - More tragic burns and explosions - and bad publicity due to outright stupidity, and negligence.

Unless you are entering cloud compo's - there is no need for mech mods, other than novelty.
IF YOU ARE A NEW VAPER DONT GET SWOOPED UP IN THIS LATEST CRAZE !!
If i could, i would have given you 2 thumbs up for this post

I've been vaping for quite a while, and have never had a mech mod. So I will be purchasing one just for the sake of having tried one and owning one. I also love the look of them

I remember @Waine mentioning a mech mod with built-in safety measures or something like that? Sounds ideal ...

That would be the Noisy Cricet II 25mm, but by pure definition that would not be a Mech any more. A mech mod consists of a button, a holder for the batteries and a 510 connection, all mechanical. The moment you start adding electronics to regulate current it becomes a regulated mod. But again, that is just my take on it.

That would be the Noisy Cricet II 25mm, but by pure definition that would not be a Mech any more. A mech mod consists of a button, a holder for the batteries and a 510 connection, all mechanical. The moment you start adding electronics to regulate current it becomes a regulated mod. But again, that is just my take on it.

I'm with you on this one 100% the NC II 25mm is a regulated mod. Its just regulated with extremely basic electronics.

The Karma Kit comes to mind, originally marketed as a 'starter kit' and quickly changed to a 'pure mech mod kit'. It's irresponsible tactics like this from distributors that irks me....

It's up to the major reviewers to stress the importance of battery safety and knowing ohms law for the masses out there. Last thing we want is some kid in Texas blowing his face up on a 'starter kit'

Back