Vapour Mountain Legends

Until Collivery is confirmed, we can ship packages overnight with Aramex @ R99.

I don't mind the 3 day wait with fastway @R35, however something faster as an option for emergency situations like Aramex would be nice.

@Oupa - i think it is a good idea to make those speedier delivery options available on your website when it goes live.

Will doma full review soon
What i will say in the mean time, Guevara is my ultimate so far.
Very sweet, complex. This is where my main focus has been for the last 2 months.
I get that hint of rooibos, but not so much the citrus.perhaps some orange zest bitter if i really concentrate had.
Will followmwith my own reviews soon!

Let me add about the rooibos, it is not so much the taste as it is the character of rooibos.

Ok, so all of those who are waiting on reviews for Legends range (from me at least) are going to have to wait a little while longer. I am letting the juice steep - as I do with all my VM liquids.

By Monday I think enough time will have passed to allow the flavours to develop fully.

@Oupa I am sure you are itching for feedback, just hang on a little longer. So far I am amazed at the Dean, but that is the only one I have given a proper test. Now I have sealed it up and left it to steep some more.

just got my hands on some LEE. awesome vape produced. smooth down the throat. and the taste... reminds me of Fresca. big thumbs up to vapour mountain for quality juices

Hi all

After a much anticipated launch, I got myself a full set of all four juices from the new VapourMountain Legends range. They are made in Cape Town by VapourMountain (@Oupa on this forum). They are positioned as complex juices and as a "top class Artisan Vapour Blend."

They are marked on the bottle as 60/40 PG/VG. I opted for the 18mg strength. I got all four from VapourMountain on their opening special deal for R600, but their normal price is R180 per 30ml bottle.

In the spotlight first is DEAN.

Dean in the Spotlight.jpg

I have been vaping this juice almost exclusively for the past 4 days, commencing the 24th March 2014. The date marked by hand on the bottle is 18 March 2014, which I presume is the date it was mixed. Today, the juice will be 10 days old.

I have vaped it at higher power on my trusty IGO-L dripper setup many times to get the flavours and assess the throat hit. I have also been through many tanks of it at lower power on the mini Protank 2. I will discuss my views initially from the dripper experience and then follow up with comments and differences on the mini Protank 2.

Here goes...

VapourMountain Legends - DEAN (18mg)

I like it.

It smells amazing - like a coffee liqueur. It is very dark in colour.

On the dripper (1.3 ohm coil at 12.5 Watts)
This is a very tasty juice. It tastes like a chocolate coffee liqueur to me. The combination is quite unusual but pleasant. I do pick up a slight tobacco but it's feint. This is definitely a complex juice.

A healthy throat hit straight away. It's a no-nonsense juice. Not the most intense I have experienced, but it packs a decent punch. Nice burn in the throat. I suppose the 60%PG and the 18mg nicotine helps.

The initial flavour seems "chocolaty" and subsequent exhales through the nose gives off a pleasant coffee taste. The chocolate is quite rich and of a premium kind. Perhaps slightly more premium than the chocolate flavour in the VM Choc Mint juice, but I can taste a similarity. The coffee is definitely of the dark kind, not milky. I like that. I found it most pleasurable to exhale through the mouth and the nose. This way you get the chocolate and the coffee.

I found that there was a very slight artificial tone to the flavours, during the initial few puffs of a dripping session. This became less noticeable as the session continued. It's as if the flavours were perhaps not rounded enough or blended enough. Maybe more steeping is required, but I did sample every day (day 6 to day 10) and I changed cotton numerous times. I would not say this is a major negative at all, just something my taste buds picked up.

This is a rich and strong-flavoured juice. It is quite sweet. It is more wet than dry.

I loved that I could almost taste the coffee and chocolate and it made me want to eat it.

The aftertaste is really good. I got the coffee and chocolate lingering for a long time. Also a tingling, perhaps from the tobacco in the mix. But definitely a pleasant. long-lasting and natural aftertaste.

Vapour was reasonable to good - I would say on par with many other juices.

On the mini Protank 2 (2.0 ohm standard coil at 7-9 Watts)

The main difference here was that I got more of a coffee and tobacco taste and less of the chocolate. Therefore the vape is not as sweet and the tobacco comes out a bit more. So I would say its like a roasted coffee tobacco. Very nice indeed. Definitely unusual and not like any other juice I've tried so far.

I found that as I increased the power from 7 Watts up to 9 Watts, the vape becomes less rich and less sweet. As if the higher power turns off the chocolate. My favourite was at 7.5 Watts where there is a nice balance of all three: chocolate, coffee and a bit of tobacco. It's still quite a bit less sweet than on the dripper though.

I actually prefer this juice on the mini Protank 2. It feels more balanced and more rounded. More sophisticated and less harsh.

Throat hit on the mPT2 now seems tiny on any juice since I have discovered the dripper ;-) But compared to other juices, I'd say this one is probably above average. It's a bold juice and it comes through. Multiple inhales gives a nice tingle.

Once again a very pleasurable aftertaste and good vapour production.

I didn't enjoy this juice much first thing in the mornings. I found it to be a great after-dinner or evening vape and enjoyed it in the late afternoons as well.

Verdict

Overall, this is clearly a complex juice with rich flavours. I like the unusual coffee, chocolate and tobacco taste. A bit too rich for me for regular vaping, but a great after-dinner vape. I would re-order it.

Equipment used:
- Dripper set up - IGO-L with 1.3 ohm micro coil and cotton wick. SVD at 12.5 Watts
- mini Protank 2 setup - standard 2.0 ohm coil and MVP at 7-9Watts

Impressions of the juice packaging:
- Firstly, I love the theme of the Legends. Very well conceived and implemented. Well done @Oupa.
- Definitely more premium than the "normal" VM juices.
- The cobalt blue glass bottles are lovely. They keep the light out.
- Nice dripper tops but you will need a syringe for filling a small tanks such as the mini Protank 2.
- The caps are not "child-deterrent" so keep them out of reach of children
- The labelling on the bottle is great with all the important metrics marked. (PG/VG ratio, Nic strength, bottle number and date) I suggest @Oupa you change the "Pg" to "PG" to make it consistent with "VG" ;-)
- The cardboard holder is functional. It is very strong and protects the bottle. It perhaps detracts slightly from the premium nature of the juice since it is a bit plain looking without any design on it. But it does the job well.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: 30 Sep 2014

My experience vaping this juice on the Reo Mini

It's been a long while since I've vaped Legends - Dean, so I tried it on the Reo Mini. Haven't tried it in a Reo before. On a 1.2 ohm coil, so not much power (12 to 15 Watts).

I am pleased to say that I picked up most of the things as I wrote in my original review in March.

The vape is good on the Reo Mini. I still get that rich dark chocolaty taste with a bit of roasted coffee. The tobacco is in the background but it's feint. I get a bit more of the tobacco on the exhale.

There were some additional things I picked up. That sweeter taste initially had a bit more of a caramel slant to it. The first few vapes before I got used to the taste said Caramel to me. So it's like caramel and dark chocolate. I am pleased to say I could not pick up any artificial taste . What I referred to in the original review must have been a steeping issue. This juice has been sitting quietly in its cardboard covered darkness for several months ;-)

After vaping it for about two days I appreciated just how rich and decadent this juice is. It is very tasty but it's a bit too sweet and rich for me as an all dayer. Lovely on occasion.

Those that like richer sweeter vapes with a coffee twist, give this one a try.

Equipment used:
- REO Mini/RM2 with 1.2 ohm single coil - cotton wick (12 to 15 Watts, depending on battery level)

Last edited:
Awesome review Hi Ho! I love the way you break down the flavours...

Thanks Rob - not easy with these juices ;-)
I would love to know what flavours @Oupa put in there.
We all perceive them slightly differently

Thanks Rob - not easy with these juices ;-)
I would love to know what flavours @Oupa put in there.
We all perceive them slightly differently

Nope it's not... I eventually had to give up trying to describe them... they are too complex for me...

The fun thing for me is discovering all the other VM Juices now... each day I try a new one and am surprised to see how different I feel about it the second time round... but the VM Juices are all keepers and will be consumed over time. The biggest surprise to me is the Strawberry which I really enjoy...

Fantastic review, you identified the one nuance I couldn't identify and bugged me - the creaminess / richness of the chocolate.

Excellent Silver!

Also great to compare my own mental notes on the same juice. I have not given it a go in the dripper yet, only the PT2. I didn't get much choc flavour at all, but definitely the coffee. Haven't explored much else, but I will see what else I can discover next time I vape it

Great write up though :)

Thanks for your reviews so far guys, much appreciated as always! Yip @Silver , I wondered who was going to be the first to mention it... I noticed the "Pg" mistake too late and if I had to have it corrected the Legends would have been pushed out by another week at least. The next batch of labels will be corrected to "PG". Also look out for some additional cosmetic improvements to the packaging tube in the not too distant future ;)

Thanks for your reviews so far guys, much appreciated as always! Yip @Silver , I wondered who was going to be the first to mention it... I noticed the "Pg" mistake too late and if I had to have it corrected the Legends would have been pushed out by another week at least. The next batch of labels will be corrected to "PG". Also look out for some additional cosmetic improvements to the packaging tube in the not too distant future ;)
Our @Silver might like to use the couch from time to time, but he never misses anything in a review!

Amazing review as always silver.. Your writing is incredibly smooth to read and well thought out on each paragraph :)

Thanks guys - @devdev - you are right, the mPT2 has less chocolate flavour. I found it a less sweet vape on the mPT2

@Matthee, many thanks for the kind words - I try to notice all the things ;-) Looking forward to the improved tube packaging @Oupa.

@Gizmo - many thanks - gives me great pleasure to read your feedback!

First impressions of VM Legends:

Firstly, I have to say @Oupa outdid himself with these juices. Each has been delightful in its own way and they live up to their names by having a truly "classic" flavour. I am by no means an expert and still have a long way to go on my vaping journey, so YMMV.

Technical details: Each at 12mg nic and vaped on a Kayfun with a micro-coil build and cotton wick.

Dean: A rich, dark coffee flavour with an almost burnt caramel follow through. Reminds me of proper "moer koffie" made on a fire in the bushveld and sweetened with a touch of condensed milk.

Monroe: A luxurious dessert flavour with a perfect twist on the exhale. Reminds me of a hot dessert with a touch or three of chocolate liqueur.

Guevara: A very rich and strong tobacco flavour with sweet, but not distracting, undertones. Best way I can describe it is that it tastes the way a high-end cigar shop smells.

Lee: EDIT: I am leaving my original impression below in blue for posterity.

You know when you are looking at a puzzle, but you are missing a piece? It just doesn't seem to make sense although there are bits and pieces you recognize? My wife found the missing piece of this puzzle for me this morning. She took a puff and the first thing she said was "Tequila?" Suddenly Lee as a whole came together. Everything swam into focus. Lee is a Tequila Sunrise and now that I know that, it is an excellently executed Tequila Sunrise at that.

A blend of citrus flavours with a touch of menthol to round it off. Initially I was not fond of it at all. Then I started upping the power and found the menthol to fade a bit and the rest of the flavours to come to the fore. It starts off as a marmalade, not overly sweet, with bitter undertones. Then the lemon and lime take over, refreshing and completely changing the character. On the exhale, as the citrus fades, the menthol makes an appearance and allows the whole to linger for a short while longer.

I was not surprised that there have been no in-depth reviews of Lee. It is certainly the odd one out and I would not be surprised if some people did not like it at all. It defied my expectations completely and the smell of the liquid barely hints at the flavour of the vapour.

This range does not lend itself well to all-day vaping imho. Although I am sure they will suffice, I feel their depth, richness and character will be lost. I will certainly buy them again and hopefully enjoy them for a long time to come.

Last edited:

Firstly, I have to say @Oupa outdid himself with these juices. Each has been delightful in its own way and they live up to their names by having a truly "classic" flavour. I am by no means an expert and still have a long way to go on my vaping journey, so YMMV.

Technical details: Each at 12mg nic and vaped on a Kayfun with a micro-coil build and cotton wick.

Dean: A rich, dark coffee flavour with an almost burnt caramel follow through. Reminds me of proper "moer koffie" made on a fire in the bushveld and sweetened with a touch of condensed milk.

Monroe: A luxurious dessert flavour with a perfect twist on the exhale. Reminds me of a hot dessert with a touch or three of chocolate liqueur.

Guevara: A very rich and strong tobacco flavour with sweet, but not distracting, undertones. Best way I can describe it is that it tastes the way a high-end cigar shop smells.

You know when you are looking at a puzzle, but you are missing a piece? It just doesn't seem to make sense although there are bits and pieces you recognize? My wife found the missing piece of this puzzle for me this morning. She took a puff and the first thing she said was "Tequila?" Suddenly Lee as a whole came together. Everything swam into focus. Lee is a Tequila Sunrise and now that I know that, it is an excellently executed Tequila Sunrise at that.

A blend of citrus flavours with a touch of menthol to round it off. Initially I was not fond of it at all. Then I started upping the power and found the menthol to fade a bit and the rest of the flavours to come to the fore. It starts off as a marmalade, not overly sweet, with bitter undertones. Then the lemon and lime take over, refreshing and completely changing the character. On the exhale, as the citrus fades, the menthol makes an appearance and allows the whole to linger for a short while longer.

I was not surprised that there have been no in-depth reviews of Lee. It is certainly the odd one out and I would not be surprised if some people did not like it at all. It defied my expectations completely and the smell of the liquid barely hints at the flavour of the vapour.

This range does not lend itself well to all-day vaping imho. Although I am sure they will suffice, I feel their depth, richness and character will be lost. I will certainly buy them again and hopefully enjoy them for a long time to come.
Awesome review Rex!

dude your description of LEE has given the juice a whole new life for me.

Thank you!

Back