Why should I consider a Reo?

Wow, what a thread....

I really enjoyed reading this thread and all the valuable input that was given.

In the same breath I am surprised at the public lynching of @MarkK, after reading the entirety of the thread, did I not once pick up the vibe that the guy is punting his device for sale, maybe bragging yes (as Im sure some who has accomplished that and is proud of it would do and have in the past) but definately not punting. I think he's only mistake was taking on a battle he was clearly out numbered for...

Furthermore I am not really surprised, in all my experience with different forums I have seen the same general pattern emerge, there is a cult movement within that field and valuable debates (where the pattern is usually pro cult following with strong and equally compelling facts are given for the otherside) that could be benifical to new users; digress into flaming sessions when the real resistance or input is given on the subject. This is quite sad as these do provide good insight but at the cost of lowering the respect/belief in the process and the members who participate. NOTE:This is not a blanket statement about these forums and their integrity but merely on the "Healthy debates" conducted within...

Saying this, I do not want to mention names or who did what or bad mouth anyone particularly but it does make me question the concept of "a family" within this forum as it seems that this is only if you dont step to far or deviate from opinions accepted boundaries and opinions... But this is just my opinion after reading the facts and is not meant to flame but to voice my dissappointment at this, if you directly feel affected their should be a reason for it and this should be focussed on more than my ranting..

This is part of the reason I bearly post or participate often on the forum personally

GETTING BACK TO THE REO...

Since I have been a vapist I have been into the Regulated mods, love the tech aspect and found rejuvinated love for vaping through the Kayfun. But over the past couple of days, I have found my self asking the same question about why are the Reo's so sought after, and after a fair amount of research; I have come up with the following which are important to me as a vapist:

Pros:
  • More direct power delivery and in turn a better kick than a reg.
  • Near indestructable
  • No electronics
  • Waterproof
  • Larger juice capacities
  • On the fly juice changes without needing to rinse and wipe out the tank (Not to bothered by the short flavor mixing during change)
  • Easily sold and holds value better than other mods
Cons:
  • It's a mech which does not have battery over discharge protection (Risk of killing your batteries is a bit higher).
  • The price is pretty steep (regardless of original or not, just taking a nice setup in mind)
  • Higher battery consumption
  • stuck on output power unless coils are changed (Usaully stick to the same watts so not major train smash)
With this all being said I will be venturing into buying a Reo shortly as I think there are a few things about it I may like and wish to test it. One thing that is for certain is that after this, I do not think I will be moving to the Reoville suburbs...

Sorry for the Necromacncing and if this offends but it is how I feel and I felt I had to say it...

Last edited:
Wow, what a thread....

I really enjoyed reading this thread and all the valuable input that was given.

In the same breath I am surprised at the public lynching of @MarkK, after reading the entirety of the thread, did I not once pick up the vibe that the guy is punting his device for sale, maybe bragging yes (as Im sure some who has accomplished that and is proud of it would do and have in the past) but definately not punting. I think he's only mistake was taking on a battle he was clearly out numbered for...

Furthermore I am not really surprised, in all my experience with different forums I have seen the same general pattern emerge, there is a cult movement within that field and valuable debates (where the pattern is usually pro cult following with strong and equally compelling facts are given for the otherside) that could be benifical to new users; digress into flaming sessions when the real resistance or input is given on the subject. This is quite sad as these do provide good insight but at the cost of lowering the respect/belief in the process and the members who participate. NOTE:This is not a blanket statement about these forums and their integrity but merely on the "Healthy debates" conducted within...

Saying this, I do not want to mention names or who did what or bad mouth anyone particularly but it does make me question the concept of "a family" within this forum as it seems that this is only if you dont step to far or deviate from opinions accepted boundaries and opinions... But this is just my opinion after reading the facts and is not meant to flame but to voice my dissappointment at this, if you directly feel affected their should be a reason for it and this should be focussed on more than my ranting..

This is part of the reason I bearly post or participate often on the forum personally

GETTING BACK TO THE REO...

Since I have been a vapist I have been into the Regulated mods, love the tech aspect and found rejuvinated love for vaping through the Kayfun. But over the past couple of days, I have found my self asking the same question about why are the Reo's so sought after, and after a fair amount of research; I have come up with the following which are important to me as a vapist:

Pros:
  • Near indestructable
  • No electronics
  • Waterproof
  • On the fly juice changes without needing to rinse and wipe out the tank (Not to bothered by the short flavor mixing during change)
Cons:
  • It's a mech with no protection.
  • The price is pretty steep (regardless of original or not, just taking a nice setup in mind)
  • stuck on output power unless coils are changed (Usaully stick to the same watts so not major train smash)
With this all being said I will be venturing into buying a Reo shortly as I think there are a few things about it I may like and wish to test it. One thing that is for certain is that after this, I do not think I will be moving to the Reoville suburbs...

Sorry for the Necromacncing and if this offends but it is how I feel and I felt I had to say it...

No offence taken and IMO a very well written observation. I just humbly want to disagree with 2 points on your Cons list; 1'st being - the Reo does have protection in the form of a collapsible spring, and secondly - "higher battery consumption" ?

Thank you @johan,

I stand corrected on the spring, I actually forgot about that, I will correct it!

In terms of high battery consumption I was thinking on regulated power vs the voltage drop which makes the performance drop through the course of use and therefore needed replacing more often than a regulated battery before feeling the difference. Im not sure if that is correct but this is how I interpreted it.

Thank you @johan,

I stand corrected on the spring, I actually forgot about that, I will correct it!

In terms of high battery consumption I was thinking on regulated power vs the voltage drop which makes the performance drop through the course of use and therefore needed replacing more often than a regulated battery before feeling the difference. Im not sure if that is correct but this is how I interpreted it.

Regulated vs unregulated battery consumption is a personal perception "thing" and contradictory to basic physics.

Regulated vs unregulated battery consumption is a personal perception "thing" and contradictory to basic physics.
Won't a regulated mod that increases battery voltage to keep it constant use more battery power? Logic tells me the battery would last longer in a unregulated mod at the expense of voltage drop.

Won't a regulated mod that increases battery voltage to keep it constant use more battery power? Logic tells me the battery would last longer in a unregulated mod at the expense of voltage drop.

Yes but a regulated mod can also down step the voltage at a lower wattage that will make the battery last longer. You cant do that on an unregulated mod.

Your logic is 100% correct, thats why I said its a personal perception "thing" ......

Yes but a regulated mod can also down step the voltage at a lower wattage that will make the battery last longer. You cant do that on an unregulated mod.

But then you compare apples with pears.

Hopefully by the end of the month (And depending on when and if I can get one from VM) I will be able to test this perception myself!!

IMO I dont think it is a perception thing at all, so lemme put this in my opinion if your battery goes down to lets say 3.8v and you have a coil at 0.6 ohms how many watts are you vaping at? and on my regulated mods when my battery is at 3.8v I can still vape the same coil at 30w, and I have measured the output from the mod to justify this.

This is actually one of the biggest downfalls on the reo for me personally, I go through at least 3 batteries a day cause I cannot get used to the voltage drop.

Fair enough there is is limitations but limitations are much less on a regulated mod because of the technology.

I think it is more of a constant vape than an actual battery consumption issue.

I really like to vape at high wattages, and I am loving my reo and the convenience of the reo but miss having the option to customise my vape as I would on a regulated mod. I am guessing that vapers that vape at higher ohms will not feel it as much as me.

just my 2c on the matter, no need for crucifiction

Pros:
  • Near indestructable
  • No electronics
  • Waterproof
Cons:
  • It's a mech which does not have battery over discharge protection (Risk of killing your batteries is a bit higher).

Hi @Mklops

Regarding your pros and cons - I think you have done a fine job on the research front to put that list together. Well done.

A couple of comments from my side on your list

Your Pros
- I think you have nailed them very well
- However, the one pro that I think is missing is that it combines a dripper vape with the convenience of a tank. This is from the bottom feeding aspect. To me, this is one of the main positives of the Reo. I like the dripper type vape and I really like my throat hit. But I don't like dripping and I want tank convenience. So for me, the Reo works extremely well on that front. I have said this before (I think it was the first post in this thread).

Your cons
- the issue of not having over discharge protection is not really an issue in practice. After a bottle of fluid, the vape does get weaker - at around 3.7 volts and you will know this. Battery damage only occurs to my knowledge if you go very low (like 2.5V), in practice I have never gone lower than 3.5V - the vape is just too mild at that point - so you just refill the tank and swop out the batt. I always refill when I put a new batt, then the juice bottle becomes my "battery meter".

- I agree with you on being stuck on one output power. If you only have one device, that can be a problem. Some juices like much more power to get the best out of them. So if your coil is set up for high power (i.e. low resistance) and you put a simple fruit juice in, you may not have a good vape. And vice versa. You could get a second Reomizer or atty and just have two setups and interchange the atty without having to build a new coil. But yes, it's not as convenient as toggling the wattage on a regulated. In practice though, after several months - I end up having two main setups. One for high power for juices like Blackbird and other complex ones - and one for lower power that is for more simple juices - typically the simple fruits that I like. I do wish I could "tweak" the power on the fly slightly to see if the juice changes.

- The other con you may be missing is the issue of "squonking". It's not a problem for many Reonauts myself included, but it could be a problem for some. Occasionally I do find squonking a mission if I am at the computer and just want to grab and vape. I don't think the Reo is an ideal "mindless vaping" device. But this depends a lot on personal preference and vaping style.

Hope it helps...

Last edited:
I have a REO myself. I don't really need a regulated mod, but I still would like the best of both worlds. However, a regulated bottom feed. There are many times when I would like to increase or decrease my vaping pleasure. Any unregulated mod won't allow you to just step it up or down with a press of a button. My main worry is (why I bought a Reo in the 1st place), electronics fails, water, falls etc. is not a very good friend of regulated mods. If the power drops, change it out, I have 5 batteries lol. There are many opinions whether regulated or unregulated is the way to go. I say, If you have the means, get both!

IMO I dont think it is a perception thing at all, so lemme put this in my opinion if your battery goes down to lets say 3.8v and you have a coil at 0.6 ohms how many watts are you vaping at? and on my regulated mods when my battery is at 3.8v I can still vape the same coil at 30w, and I have measured the output from the mod to justify this.

This is actually one of the biggest downfalls on the reo for me personally, I go through at least 3 batteries a day cause I cannot get used to the voltage drop.

Fair enough there is is limitations but limitations are much less on a regulated mod because of the technology.

I think it is more of a constant vape than an actual battery consumption issue.

I really like to vape at high wattages, and I am loving my reo and the convenience of the reo but miss having the option to customise my vape as I would on a regulated mod. I am guessing that vapers that vape at higher ohms will not feel it as much as me.

just my 2c on the matter, no need for crucifiction

No crucification necessary at all, as its a personal choice. Thats why I categorically stated in my review of the Reo (March/April 2014): "... if you prefer regulated devices, don't buy a Reo ..."

@Silver, thank you for the informative reply along with all else contributing.

When I wrote the pros and cons list I was thinking of it in terms highlighting my personal likings of the reo as a pure regulated (at this stage) user and to give similar users this perspective.

In terms of a complete list I think the professional Reo users such as yourself have really provided a conclusive list of pros and cons which really porvides a good look at what you would be getting into:clap:

No crucification necessary at all, as its a personal choice. Thats why I categorically stated in my review of the Reo (March/April 2014): "... if you prefer regulated devices, don't buy a Reo ..."

well personally I love the reo , with it's flaws
and I love my regulated mods for what they are also and their flaws

honestly tho the use of my reg mods has dropped quite a bit since I have the reo. The reo has now become my go to device for all day use. I just carry around a small ego case with a couple of batteries and 3 or 4 extra topped up reo juice bottles.

The reo is a different vape experience and I would advise anyone, whether they prefer regulated or not, to give the reo a try, It is an awesome device

I have a slightly different take on the whole regulated vs non regulated issue. The one advantage of having a unregulated mod is that even if your battery runs down, and you don't have a spare or charging facilities on hand, you can still continue to vape without the mod switching off and staying off. I have been caught like this a few times and although it's a weak vape and not good for your batteries, it saw me through until I could change batteries.

@Mklops, if I may respond to your introductory comments.

Ex post facto from your and others' comments, I agree that I, maybe others, were too critical in our response to @MarkK's posts in the Reoville forum in this thread. I have publicly apologized and shall do so again, if required.
From my point of view the intention of this forum is not to defend the Reo device to the death, but give good and balanced information for Reonauts as well as potential buyers of Reos. And of course to brag a bit about it.
When a device has a loyal following like the Reo, these followers are very easily branded as a cult. As has been the case with Provari. As a result a high standard is required when responding to comments and posts. If this is not done, as was the case here, you get snide comments in other forums and people with custom titles like "ReoNOT" and the like. And otherwise as might be believed, we Reonauts are hurt by these. As all forum members we have a duty to respect the preferences of others, but we also have a duty to correct facts in the case of misrepresentation.

We are looking forward to hear your impressions on your Reo, like it or not. And your objective voice will be more than welcome in this forum.

In any case. I've been through all this before. Never understood thus crap of Reo. Got one eventually and haven't bought any other piece of equipment yet.
I was also not keen for a long time. Using mine mostly nowadays.... The pro's are just too good. I will still keep my other mods tho, they have a place in my vape arsenal.

I thought id give my 2c, on the Topic.

Iv owned 2 Reo's and i loved them to bits, The lp Reo has opened so many doors to the over all vaping experience. Everyone has read the pros n cons to this device and i agree with all of them, some being a little over critical on some of the cons and some being over complimentary about the pros. IMO a Reo Grand lp almst negates the need of another mech device due to it being so versatile as a dripper for almst any atty or a device for almst any bf or modified dripper. Hells u can even put ur Kayfun on there if you liked. IMO it prob one of or even the most versitle mech mods you will ever get (btw i sold my first Reo to fund my sx350 bf mod which im getting to and my second was misplaced)

My Sx350 Bottom Fed mod

Pros
It does everything my Reo does and more

Cons
Its electronic if it gets wet its bricked.
To many small components on it that could go faulty.
Im not 100% confident in the sx board itself, software upgrades not 100% fool proof.
If i drop this mod its almst definitely trashed.

Lastly im scared to use it because its not my virtually fool proof or indestructible like the Reo.

Back to the topic " Why should i consider a Reo"?
Because 99% of Reo owners will give you theirs to try for a while knowing once you've used their properly setup Reo you will want to become a member of Reoville.

Last edited:
Ok guys I wanna know from the multiple reo owners, is there such a major difference between the SL and the std? I mean in comparison to a cana a std must already be lighter so is it really that worth it?

I personally don't really like the cut outs, makes it look like a British phone booth to me for some reason. Does everyone else or is it function over form?

Also takes away from the real estate available to customise it and express yourself. I've seen some pretty nicely done ones

Ok guys I wanna know from the multiple reo owners, is there such a major difference between the SL and the std?

There is no difference between the LP SL with the holes (Super Light) and the LP without.

Back