Wick and Wire Misc

Pozzi

New Vaper
LV

Awards
efeec01899d0f0a84931b110cbf3ee64.jpg

For the guys who build a lot of different stuff, has anybody tried making coils with say two strands of 28g wire spun together first with a pair of wire lockers like these? Could be interesting, I just don't know much about the building to try it out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3334a6122f7aeb3b87d03ab546c528ec.jpg

Something like that wire, and then turned into a coil...

Haha, I saw our engineer busy wire locking some bolts on our plane yesterday, and the the idea popped into my head. My thought was you effectively get double the surface area of the coil for the same length of wire.

You feed the two wires through the centre of the pliers and then pull the silver end and it spins the pliers, twisting the wires together.

Wick and Wire discussion that doesn't fit in any other thread.

True, I wasn't sure where to put it, or to start a new thread. Thanks @RobFisher

For the guys who build a lot of different stuff, has anybody tried making coils with say two strands of 28g wire spun together first with a pair of wire lockers like these? Could be interesting, I just don't know much about the building to try it out yet.

@Pozzi is tool available commercial?

Yes indeed they are, here are two links, one is a vid showing how they work:

https://m.takealot.com/#product?id=PLID42455971&ui-state=dialog

I use a drill with the wires locked in the chuck, in fact you can even use a pen to twist your wire ... lots of vids on youtube about that. Don't use Riptrippers method with the allen key, bloody ridiculous. I'm not sure how the pitch may affect flavour? Possibly some other peeps here can tell us more on that, also that method used to flatten the twisted wire, apparently wicks better. :wondering:

Haha, I saw our engineer busy wire locking some bolts on our plane yesterday, and the the idea popped into my head. My thought was you effectively get double the surface area of the coil for the same length of wire.

Hi Pozzi,

not sure if im overlooking something but twisted coils have been around for a long time, yes you double your surface area but you also half your resistance, they come in handy if you are in a pinch ( dont have the desired gauge wire, can quickly twist 2 or 3 strand of a higher guage) . . . I find twisted coils springy & spit more then any other common wire though, maby thats just me.

Kind regards

Hi Pozzi,

not sure if im overlooking something but twisted coils have been around for a long time, yes you double your surface area but you also half your resistance, they come in handy if you are in a pinch ( dont have the desired gauge wire, can quickly twist 2 or 3 strand of a higher guage) . . . I find twisted coils springy & spit more then any other common wire though, maby thats just me.

Kind regards
Yes, I also find the flavour to be much better. To help get rid of the metal's elastic memory, especially SS 316L, you need to blowtorch the twisted wire before coiling. Looks ugly but at least then you can use temp control. This is a pic of my first build, fugly but flavour far exceeds single wire coils. No wonder people love their claptons and all those other coil types. I think Kanthal is already annealed, so you don't need to burn it.

WP_20170308_001.jpg

Interesting.

Well remember safety wire pliers from my military aviator days in the mid 60's.

I used an old Fuller Brush hand drill to make twisted wires for coils back when I was doing them.

1spycoiler1.jpg

Back