DIY Tobacco - Rum and Maple

GregF

Reonaut
LV

Awards
OK so the title got your attention but sadly this is not a completed rum and maple tobacco recipe but rather a group effort to try and create one. There are a few threads here where we post our completed recipes and our finds and we all benefit from them. What about trying to create something together. There seems to be quite a bit of interest in a rum and maple tobacco so lets start there and see how this goes.

I am by no means a rum and maple, or for that matter, a tobacco connoisseur but we all try. Well my wife says I am very trying but that's another story. I thought it best to try and stick with a popular/common manufacturer for the base, FA in this case, but any added tobacco might need to move around a bit.

From my understanding and the little investigation I have done a rum and maple tobacco is mostly Burley with Virginia, the maple stronger than the rum and some manufacturers include Latakia.

With that in mind I think something along these lines for the base, we can add more tobacco later.....

FA Burley - 2%
FA Virginia - 1%
FA Oak - 1.5%
FA Black fire - 0.5%
FA Jamaican Rum - 2%
FA Maple Syrup - 1%

I have had some of @Viper_SA recipes with maple and rum at these percentages and they tend to work, thats why I am starting there. The black fire for the smoke and the oak for some wood in the maple. I wanted to add 0.25% FA Latakia but not just yet.

I have not tasted this or even mixed it, just looking for somewhere to start and maybe together we can crack this monster.

Great idea @GregF!

Maybe one of the tobacco connoisseurs could shed some light on this flavor profile. Is it quite a sweet tobacco? It sounds like it should be with maple... And Rum is quite a sweet liquor too.

Wow, @GregF, I remember when I was smoking my Kyser pipe, I mix rum and maple together with black and white for that extra kick. @Andre, time to step in.

That is an option @Rooigevaar but it would be great to see how far we get with standard concentrates

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I mixed this up (10ml) and the story so far......

FA Burley - 2%
FA Virginia - 1%
FA Oak - 1.5%
FA Black fire - 0.5%
FA Jamaican Rum - 2%
FA Maple Syrup - 1%

The dry burley is the first thing that hits you, I like it so a win there. There is also that little bit of virginia in the background.
The maple and rum were a no show so I upped them each by 0.5%. A little better on the rum but the maple was still lacking so I upped that by a further 0.5%. It was a bit better and surprisingly nowhere near as sweet as I thought it would be. It did take the edge off the burley a bit so I added that one drop latakia (0.2%) which brought it back to life. I still think it might need more maple if that is to come nearer to the foreground. I will let this sit for a while to see how it steeps.
If all else fails I have found a new tobacco mix that I am quite enjoying.:D

So I ended up here......
FA Burley - 2%
FA Virginia - 1%
FA Oak - 1.5%
FA Black Fire - 0.5%
FA Jamaican Rum - 2.5%
FA Maple Syrup - 2%
FA Latakia - 0.2% (1drop per 10ml)

This is a great thread @GregF
Thanks for starting it - I wish I could contribute - but I will be watching...

Great thread @GregF. Watching with anticipation.

If the Maple Syrup is too sweet, consider Loco Maple.
Thanks, I did see that in the Loco reviews.
From where I am ATM it does not seem too sweet at all, which surprised me.
My idea was to use concentrates that I assumed most of us have, thats why I stuck with FA.
I am trying to get a group effort going here but dont know how far I am going to get with it. Would be nice to have some varied palettes on any hit and misses. Like all sitting around a table and sampling/comparing/suggesting....the problem is we are all scattered and too far from each other to coordinate any group diy sitting so it does mean that we all have to make the same recipe so as to make any informed suggestion or recommendation.
I have already got a new recipe out of it so win either way.

I can't vouch for how good it is but I figure it's worth a shot, even if you need to add something to it to make it work.

Opened the bottle to give it another try. First thing that you smell is the rum.
The little Latakia I put in seems to have strengthened a bit, but nothing overpowering.
I must admit that this is something I could vape all day as it is. It is a little sweet but nowhere near as sweet as I thought it would be.
Thought I would go with HIC's suggestion and add some FA Custard and Vienna Cream.
"or even a smoother/brighter tobacco - any time you need bright-sweet-creaminess - try adding FA Custard. You can use along with Vienna Cream to minimize the lemon flavor"
I added 0.25% of each and didn't notice any difference. Upped it to 0.5% of each and it does give it a smooth sweet creaminess.
It also dropped the Latakia and Burley, might have to increase that to compensate. Will let it sit a while and see what happens.

This will be the last update as I have a reached a stage where I like what this has become.
I am calling it Greg's R&M because there is a Rum and Maple concentrate I will be trying that will most likely take the rum and maple name.

Greg's R&M
FA Burley - 2.5%
FA Virginia - 1.5%
FA Jamaican Rum - 2.5%
FA Maple Syrup - 2%
FA Oak - 1.5%
FA Black Fire - 0.5%
FA Latakia - 0.5%
FA Custard - 0.5%
FA Vienna Cream - 0.5%

You open the bottle and you can smell the rum and maple. This is nowhere near as sweet as it looks. It is smooth and light on the tobacco side and I would guess most people would prefer it like this. For myself on the other hand I wanted something a little stronger and more in the pipe tobacco line so I added

INW Classic For Pipe - 0.5%

The website blurb for Classic For Pipe "Taste of brown sugar, oak and rum on a strong tobacco base"
So it fits in perfectly with the theme. It adds strength and wraps everything up in a pipe tobacco but it does make it a little sweeter, again though, I do not find this overly sweet.

I think the base (without the Classic For Pipe) could go well with a few other tobacco concentrates and I intend trying that at some stage but for now I am quite happy as it stands.

[edit] Normal tobacco/cream steeping so give it at least 3 weeks

Last edited:
This will be the last update as I have a reached a stage where I like what this has become.
I am calling it Greg's R&M because there is a Rum and Maple concentrate I will be trying that will most likely take the rum and maple name.

Greg's R&M
FA Burley - 2.5%
FA Virginia - 1.5%
FA Jamaican Rum - 2.5%
FA Maple Syrup - 2%
FA Oak - 1.5%
FA Black Fire - 0.5%
FA Latakia - 0.5%
FA Custard - 0.5%
FA Vienna Cream - 0.5%

You open the bottle and you can smell the rum and maple. This is nowhere near as sweet as it looks. It is smooth and light on the tobacco side and I would guess most people would prefer it like this. For myself on the other hand I wanted something a little stronger and more in the pipe tobacco line so I added

INW Classic For Pipe - 0.5%

The website blurb for Classic For Pipe "Taste of brown sugar, oak and rum on a strong tobacco base"
So it fits in perfectly with the theme. It adds strength and wraps everything up in a pipe tobacco but it does make it a little sweeter, again though, I do not find this overly sweet.

I think the base (without the Classic For Pipe) could go well with a few other tobacco concentrates and I intend trying that at some stage but for now I am quite happy as it stands.
Looks great. Thank you @GregF. Shall certainly give it a go, probably adding something for more tobacco. Maybe INW Black for Pipe.
Steeping?

Looks great. Thank you @GregF. Shall certainly give it a go, probably adding something for more tobacco. Maybe INW Black for Pipe.
Steeping?
Normal tobacco/cream steeping so give it a month. I will edit the post.
I dont have INW Black for Pipe. From the reviews it sounds like it is something I should have.
Initially I thought you were talking about Black Cat for Pipe but that has a fruit note to it.

Thanks @GregF, I will definitely give it a go, and again....... back to the online stores.

Some feedback @GregF after steeping for about 5 weeks.

As suggested I added 0.5 % of INW Black for Pipe (in stead of the INW Classic for Pipe, which you added). I did not believe you at the time, but this is not too sweet at all. In fact, from what I remember, this is spot-on the real thing - including the level of sweet. The Black for Pipe supports the bright Burley and Virginia well and adds a very authentic pipe tobacco vibe. Stunningly contrasted with the Rum and Maple. Great recipe - thank you for sharing.

For the record - I made another bottle using Loco Maple in place of FA Maple Syrup. Vapeable, but not nearly as good. Almost too dry, and thin in the mouth feel department.

Thanks. Yup I don't know where all the sweetness goes because from the looks of it you would think it would be too sweet.
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Some feedback @GregF after steeping for about 5 weeks.

As suggested I added 0.5 % of INW Black for Pipe (in stead of the INW Classic for Pipe, which you added). I did not believe you at the time, but this is not too sweet at all. In fact, from what I remember, this is spot-on the real thing - including the level of sweet. The Black for Pipe supports the bright Burley and Virginia well and adds a very authentic pipe tobacco vibe. Stunningly contrasted with the Rum and Maple. Great recipe - thank you for sharing.

For the record - I made another bottle using Loco Maple in place of FA Maple Syrup. Vapeable, but not nearly as good. Almost too dry, and thin in the mouth feel department.
@Andre, would you be so kind and post your final recipe. A new mod inbound, and so a new recipe. Thanks.

@Andre, would you be so kind and post your final recipe. A new mod inbound, and so a new recipe. Thanks.
Exactly as @GregF posted it. With the addition of INW Black for Pipe (bought mine from TFM). Like so:

Greg's R&M
FA Burley - 2.5%
FA Virginia - 1.5%
FA Jamaican Rum - 2.5%
FA Maple Syrup - 2%
FA Oak - 1.5%
FA Black Fire - 0.5%
FA Latakia - 0.5%
FA Custard - 0.5%
FA Vienna Cream - 0.5%
INW Black for Pipe - 0.5% (my addition for a touch more pipe tobacco as @GregF suggested)

Hi guys! Sorry to revive an "oldish" thread, but this the only forum/site that I've seen that references a Rum & Maple 0mg product/recipe.

I'm a first time casual vaper, and desperately looking for a Rum & Maple juice. Any help on where I can buy this? I don't want to spend like R500 on ingredients and then I might not like it.

Thanks!

Back