Kanger Subtank 22mm and Nano 18mm

I have to agreed will all that this is an amazing little tank. And right now its all I'm using.

I do however have a bit of an issue and really hope that you guys can help me or at least point me in a direction.

So whenever I use the RBA I get a check atomizer on my rDNA40, well mostly. Pop the OCC coil back in and no issue. Put the RBA in, check atomizer. So something is wrong on the RBA right? Well here's the kicker, if I put the Subtank with RBA on my SVD 2 there's no issues what so ever. Put it back on the rDNA40 and I get a check attomizer. So perhaps something is wrong on the rDNA40 however with OCC Coils it's fine and every other RTA I have works fine on the rDNA40. So in summery:

rDNA40 with Subtank RBA - Check Attomizer
rDNA40 with Subtank OCC - Just fine
rDNA40 with Other Attys - Just fine
SVD 2 with Subtank RBA - Just fine.

Initially I thought perhaps the center pin is not making connection but then why does it work on the SVD 2. I'm really confused and would appreciate some help.

It could be that the pin is not making contact on the rDNA 40 and the SVD2 it does.
Maybe you need to "wiggle" something on the rDNA 40 or adjust something on it to make it make proper contact.

I have to agreed will all that this is an amazing little tank. And right now its all I'm using.

I do however have a bit of an issue and really hope that you guys can help me or at least point me in a direction.

So whenever I use the RBA I get a check atomizer on my rDNA40, well mostly. Pop the OCC coil back in and no issue. Put the RBA in, check atomizer. So something is wrong on the RBA right? Well here's the kicker, if I put the Subtank with RBA on my SVD 2 there's no issues what so ever. Put it back on the rDNA40 and I get a check attomizer. So perhaps something is wrong on the rDNA40 however with OCC Coils it's fine and every other RTA I have works fine on the rDNA40. So in summery:

rDNA40 with Subtank RBA - Check Attomizer
rDNA40 with Subtank OCC - Just fine
rDNA40 with Other Attys - Just fine
SVD 2 with Subtank RBA - Just fine.

Initially I thought perhaps the center pin is not making connection but then why does it work on the SVD 2. I'm really confused and would appreciate some help.

That is indeed strange and all I can guess is that the pin of the RBA is slightly shorter than the OCC pin. This pin seems to push down on the pin in the base a little and it might be that the RBA pin does not push it quite as far, causing the bottom of the 510 pin to protrude less. I'm only guessing here, but this seems to be the only way for this to happen.

Unfortunately I just refilled my tank and don't want to deal with all the juice, but it would be easy to check. Put the RBA base and OCC coil on their pins next to one another then look whether the top of the threading is aligned or not. If not, then it is definitely a pin length issue, otherwise it might be that the RBA has a short that only shows up every now and then (and maybe by pure coincidence only when you attach it to the rDNA o_O

The pin on the RBA screws out completely, so you could also (for testing) unscrew it a bit before inserting the RBA base.

Edit:
Almost forgot, there is also an insulator around the RBA pin screw (as well as under the RBA deck)...make sure these are in place and preventing the pin/base from touching other parts.

Checked the center pin on the RBA and at first it looks like it's shorter however the RBA is screws in deeper so if you compare it at the rubber seal its the same length as the OCC Coil. Both the rDNA and the SVD 2 has spring loaded center pins however the SVD's pin is harder to push down than the rDNA so perhaps that? But then why does the OCC Coils work fine, so damn confused right now. As soon as I'm finished with the juice in the tank I'll take everything apart and have another go.

EDIT:

Yes checked the insulators and they are in place. Figured that IF that was the case I could rather get a "short" or "low resistance" error instead.

Checked the center pin on the RBA and at first it looks like it's shorter however the RBA is screws in deeper so if you compare it at the rubber seal its the same length as the OCC Coil. Both the rDNA and the SVD 2 has spring loaded center pins however the SVD's pin is harder to push down than the rDNA so perhaps that? But then why does the OCC Coils work fine, so damn confused right now. As soon as I'm finished with the juice in the tank I'll take everything apart and have another go.

In that case I'd recommend checking the insulators. So basically do a full disasembly of the RBA base.

In the video below Rip does this to show the insulators - it's around the 11:00 mark :D

In that case I'd recommend checking the insulators. So basically do a full disasembly of the RBA base.

In the video below Rip does this to show the insulators - it's around the 11:00 mark :D

Yes checked already and the insulators are in place. Figured that IF that was the case I could rather get a "short" or "low resistance" error instead.

Yes checked already and the insulators are in place. Figured that IF that was the case I could rather get a "short" or "low resistance" error instead.

Ah okay. Next idea :D

Check the bottom pin while screwing in the OCC and the RBA coil and see if it moves (i.e. extends out a bit or not). This would be the easiest way to determine if the pin extends more/less with the two different coils.

Ah okay. Next idea :D

Check the bottom pin while screwing in the OCC and the RBA coil and see if it moves (i.e. extends out a bit or not). This would be the easiest way to determine if the pin extends more/less with the two different coils.

Tank almost empty. Running at 20W, which for me is ALOT, sucking the life out of it. :smoke: aaaaand. Dry hit, she's empty.

Ha ha, just my luck. Damn I really just can't win. Popped everything in the USC. Removed and dried everything. Started building the RBA. Center pin through the round peek insulator then through the base and, no no no, its gone. The flat peek insulator that goes on top of the base, missing. But it was here just now. :-(

Any case let's see what the rDNA says/does when there's a missing peek insulator. Well it works I get a reading of 0.06, that's strange half expected a "low resistance" error. Wait it works! Well of course it works. Of course it will work now, now that I can't use it anymore.

Wonder if any of the vendors will be able to get spare part, more specifically peek insulators, on the subtanks.

Ha ha, just my luck. Damn I really just can't win. Popped everything in the USC. Removed and dried everything. Started building the RBA. Center pin through the round peek insulator then through the base and, no no no, its gone. The flat peek insulator that goes on top of the base, missing. But it was here just now. :-(

Any case let's see what the rDNA says/does when there's a missing peek insulator. Well it works I get a reading of 0.06, that's strange half expected a "low resistance" error. Wait it works! Well of course it works. Of course it will work now, now that I can't use it anymore.

Wonder if any of the vendors will be able to get spare part, more specifically peek insulators, on the subtanks.

Ah crap...that's terrible :(

I'm not sure if anyone will have just the insulators, but I've been thinking that someone should stock the RBA base - it is replaceable and can be damaged/lost just like a OCC coil, so they should be selling them separately. Haven't seen any though and I suspect it might be a while (if indeed it happens) before we see them on our shores :(

Time to start scouring around for your missing piece I think o_O

EDIT:
It just ocured to me that because the original teflon insulators were problematic, KangerTech did send out replacements - so they should be available. Just don't think any of the problematic versions ended up here. Maybe contact whoever you bought from (or Vape Club, they're very helpful always) to find out if they can get some.

Was thinking the same, peek insulators replacing the teflon ones, but fortunately the OCC heads are really easy to rebuild. 26 gauge kanthal 6/7 wraps, 1.04 ohms is running perfect. I do however prefer the lower juice holes on the RBA to the ones on the OCC heads.

About the RBA insulators, I impressed how quick Kanger responded, Gen 1 had the white Teflon which was quickly replaced by the clear gen2 PEEK, and I see in my Sub-mini that I picked up on Thursday that there is now a tan/brown gen3 PEEK insulators, which are even more heat resistant than the clear. Well Done!

PS: Even though we don't like it, the upside of US getting all the goodies first, is that they get to deal with any issues first, so when it hits our shores, we get a better product in the end

About the RBA insulators, I impressed how quick Kanger responded, Gen 1 had the white Teflon which was quickly replaced by the clear gen2 PEEK, and I see in my Sub-mini that I picked up on Thursday that there is now a tan/brown gen3 PEEK insulators, which are even more heat resistant than the clear. Well Done!

PS: Even though we don't like it, the upside of US getting all the goodies first, is that they get to deal with any issues first, so when it hits our shores, we get a better product in the end

That's great news, but I'm guessing that the gen3 insulators are really only required for builds at very low ohms (that get plenty hot) - with the 0.5 Ohm coil they included I had zero issues.

Great of Kanger to keep improving and solving a problem that won't even affect they majority of users though :clap:

Stop die klok. Stop the clock. I found the f̶e̶e̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶u̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ peek insulator.

Turns out I threw it in the dustbin :oops:.

Stop die klok. Stop the clock. I found the f̶e̶e̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶u̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ peek insulator.

Super @dekardy
Hope you get it all going

Can you celebrate the find by now uploading a cool avatar pic for yourself!
Helps us all to recognise your posts

Ha, yeah still looking for a avatar pic, basically looking for Tux vaping, or for the less informed a penguin vaping.

1748747923_home_found_it_xlarge.jpeg

Super @dekardy
Hope you get it all going

Can you celebrate the find by now uploading a cool avatar pic for yourself!
Helps us all to recognise your posts

Congratulations :party::party:

Must have been quite relieved to find it :)

I suggest this as you avatar pic - so you'll never lose it again :rofl::rofl::rofl:

SubTank Mini Peek Insulators_c.jpg

Ha, yeah still looking for a avatar pic, basically looking for Tux vaping, or for the less informed a penguin vaping.

Cool idea, never seen little Tux take a vape...poor fella, he needs a kernel update :p

Here's the closest I've seen to a vape related penguin

HT1aRfLFOdXXXagOFbXY.jpg

Since I can't find the avatar I'm looking for I'll settle for this one for now cause it's pretty spot on lately with the subtank mini.

Ok so back to the initial problem, "check atomizer".

So it would seem that it's definitely the center pin not making contact with the RBA. Fixing it was fortunately, well for me at least, quite easy. Don't over tighten the RBA's center pin. So none of that "Frikkie gaan haal vir my die vise grip" stuff. A common mistake we Afrikaners or perhaps even South Africans have. That's how I stripped my nautilus mini. I also think that the softer spring on the rDNA is somewhat to blame here.

Ok so back to the initial problem, "check atomizer".

So it would seem that it's definitely the center pin not making contact with the RBA. Fixing it was fortunately, well for me at least, quite easy. Don't over tighten the RBA's center pin. So none of that "Frikkie gaan haal vir my die vise grip" stuff. A common mistake we Afrikaners or perhaps even South Africans have. That's how I stripped my nautilus mini. I also think that the softer spring on the rDNA is somewhat to blame here.

Glad you got it working...so it seems the RBA base pin is slightly "less long" than the OCC pin (and even less when tightened to the max) - makes sense since the two have very different pin designs :D

I don't really think that the softer spring has much to do with it but rather that the rDNA's pin is slightly lower in it's hole than the pin on the SVD...as long as the tank's pin makes contact with the mod pin it should work, the spring is only to ensure the tank can be screwed down completely (to sit flush) if the pin is longer - this is why I prefer adjustable+spring loaded pins :)

So all in all it was a good day for you and your SubTank Mini ;)
Had a check atomizer error - fixed
Lost a peek insulator - found
Needed an avatar - found (even if temporary)

:clap:

Great stuff @dekardy
Glad you got it sorted
And thanks dor uploading an avatar pic. I love that pic! So true!

Maybe it is just me but I am completely blown away with the Subtank Mini, like awestruck in fact. It started with the 1.2ohm coil and some Craft Vapour Pining Juliette. Flavour and vapour was in the stratosphere, airflow perfect at the widest setting and that pineapple and menthol… Mmmmmm Ohhh yeah complete explosion of flavour! Like I have never experienced it before with this juice even though it is my ADV.

Then watched Rip's vid on the RBA section and decided to give it a whirl… Gave it a good wash and chucked out the preinstalled coil. Plonked in a 26g spaced 0.7ohm 3mm id coil and wicked it with the cotton provided with the Subtank just for s**t's and giggles. Wicked it like a chop because I was struggling a bit with trying to get the cotton in properly so though "yeah, this is gonna taste like Grand Ma's ass…"

MIND BLOWN! It has been so epic, even at 35W she is running like a champ, not a dry hit in sight. Who would have thunk that a commercial setup like this would not only have amazing off the shelf coils like the OCC ones but when you rebuild it, it's even better. I mean every one goes on about "killer this" and "killer that" and for me personally, this kills my Lemo, billow, Aqua… In fact everything is dead. I went back to my Magma and chucked in some of the same juice with the same cotton just to compare and you know what. The Subtank mini killed that in terms of flavour.

So big ups to Kanger for ruining me when it comes to all my atties. This thing is the bomb!

Back