Mech queries (advanced)

A VTC5 is rated at 20 amp continuous, assuming you are getting 3.7V you will be drawing 19.4 amps, personally that is a little close for my comfort.

But to answer your question, a mech should fire anything you throw at it, there's no safety

Are you using the Karma RDTA?

Thanks

Does this chart below look correct to what i am doing? (did i put the resistance in correctly?)

Appreciate the help

upload_2017-7-12_12-58-12.png

Your coil is 0.19 and in the chart you put in 1.9..
You kinda want to be spot on when it comes to resistances and mech mods..;

Thanks, appreciate it....now i gotta figure out why the firing is so erratic......1 in every 10-15 button presses

Thanks, appreciate it....now i gotta figure out why the firing is so erratic......1 in every 10-15 button presses

1.Take the battery out the mod
2.Unscrew RDA/TA and test on ohm reader with cap on. Make sure the resistances is reading fine, no shorts.
3.Check the mods contacts, if they are not clean, you've got work to do lol Use a tiny bit of petroleum jelly on the contacts to help prevent arcing.

On a side note: You should try some simple builds using normal round wire, I like to refer to them as KISS coils, it may not be all fancy pants like framed staple rhinoceroses but it may surprise you, they vape fantastically and they are great for mech mods because they have less wire to heat up which means you save energy, which means you vape more on the same battery. win win ;-)

Last edited:
wowser...now i

wowser now im confused as f&*K

The reputable Vape Store where i bought my VTC5 said that it can easily handle 0.1, they even said 0.08 should be fine...this calculation says it can barely go below 0.19....

View attachment 100992

Some guys push their batteries but the chance of it venting increases a lot when you go lower.
Honestly, I've never gone below 0.22 on a mech. I'm sure there are guys here who can explain how you can go lower with an 18650 battery

wowser...now i

wowser now im confused as f&*K

The reputable Vape Store where i bought my VTC5 said that it can easily handle 0.1, they even said 0.08 should be fine...this calculation says it can barely go below 0.19....

View attachment 100992

I wouldn't run a 0.08ohm build on my VTC4's let alone VTC5's..... You received some very irresponsible advise from that store IMO

I have a Karma Mech Tube with Sony VT5 and placed 2 stapled coils in as below

It is coming out at .19ohm and not firing......should it fire?

View attachment 100971
anytime you get a mech not firing, press the button centre and harder, if that does not work, RED FLAG!!
Something is either shorting out, or not making contact (Hope for the latter here).

pull everything apart, and check everything, and remember ALWAYS put your atty on first, then the battery and then the button assembly, if you put the atty on last, you could dent your battery top.

Loving this thread!
Thank you.

On an impulse I bought an Athena today. It will be my first mech mod - so a lot was learned in reading this thread.
I bought a 30Q battery with it, my other 30Q's are married in an alien and I have married LG chocs in my voopoo.
My main worry is how do I know when the battery should be charged?
Do you vape until it just turns off?

Cheers

@stephen.johnson2 where did you find that calculator?

Just to add, I feel I have a good grip of ohms law

Loving this thread!
Thank you.

On an impulse I bought an Athena today. It will be my first mech mod - so a lot was learned in reading this thread.
I bought a 30Q battery with it, my other 30Q's are married in an alien and I have married LG chocs in my voopoo.

Cheers

Short answer: No
Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooo please don't do that.
When vaping you'll feel the mod will get a bit weaker, that's when you stop. Or as a rule of thumb, no chain vaping and use it for a maximum of about 30 minutes. This unfortunately is all build dependant. Another thing to remember is that mech mods have no safety features, so maybe do a bit of research before using it so that you're absolutely prepared, there is a wealth of information out there.

Loving this thread!
Thank you.

Cheers

As @Halfdaft Customs said, you will notice when the quality (and quantity) of the vape drops.

When I started on Mechs I was terrified of over-discharging a battery, and would check often. However, after one or two batteries worth of vaping you definitely can notice. On the REO I pick it up at about 3.9 volts, but it is on a high build (around 0.9 ohms), but I'm sure you'll notice on a lower build too. I feel that as long as you're actively thinking about it the first couple of times and checking, you'll find out.

Thanks guys!
Rather err on the side of caution.
I only really intend on using this mod at night when chilling.
looking forward to learning with it

Loving this thread!
Thank you.

Cheers

Yo bro, welcome to the fantastic world of mech squonking

Rule one: ask questions, especially dumb ones
Rule two: listen to advice
Rule three: respect mechs

With mech squonkers I would advise 1 bottle per battery, you should feel the difference from start to finish, usually after 6 - 7ml the vape is less than desirable

IMO 30Qs are best suited for single coil 0.27 - 0.30 ohm or higher

Oh and I wouldn't stress too much about over discharging, I have never been able to discharge a cell on a mech as low as my reg mods do

Kind regards

Last edited:
Yo bro, welcome to the fantastic world of mech squonking

Rule one: ask questions, especially dumb ones
Rule two: listen to advice
Rule three: respect mechs

With mech squonkers I would advise 1 bottle per battery, you should feel the difference from start to finish, usually after 6 - 7ml the vape is less than desirable

IMO 30Qs are best suited for single coil 0.27 - 0.30 ohm or higher

Oh and I wouldn't stress too much about over discharging, I have never been able to discharge a cell on a mech as low as my reg mods do

Kind regards
The only problem is that you can discharge it lower if you keep using it

The only problem is that you can discharge it lower if you keep using it

100% true , but in my experience its highly unlikely if you stick to 1 bottle per cell

With 3000 mah cells I run 0.2 ohm (Ijoy 20700) to 0.4 (LG turds) , after 7.5ml a reg mod reads the cells at roughly 60%+ (I forget the volt reading)

I wouldn't recommend trying to push another bottle as the vape will be anemic and run the risk of over discharging

I feel 99.9% of mech users remove there cells at a higher voltage than Reg users

Just my experience/opinion
Kind regars

As @Scissorhands has said

Ask dumb qeustions.

I have one and i get confused about it.

Would i be correct to understand that 0,1 = high(higer resistance) ohm coil and 0,9 would be a low(low resistance) ohm coil?

Oh and how do i measure mah on a multimeter? Is it possible or should i just pop the batteries into a charger to see?

No, the other way around.
And I agree with @Scissorhands - the vape will become anemic before the battery is discharged too low.

Oh and on that the drop in vape is due to the mah being low and can not supply the amps reqiired and as a result the volts drop on the battery?

Oh and on that the drop in vape is due to the mah being low and can not supply the amps reqiired and as a result the volts drop on the battery?

The drop in vape is due to the drop in voltage, mah is related to the physical capacity (the amount of goo in the cell) where amp limit is related to the gauge or thickness of the inner walls , they both take physical space , that's why one is sacrificed for the other

A higher mah cell usually has a higher internal resistance (compared to a high amp cell) due to the thinner internal walls giving you a higher volt drop from the start but should have a longer run time as the high amp cell will drop off before the high mah cell ( this all depends on the load (ohms))

Please forgive my terrible terminology but that's my understanding

I'm sure someone with a tech background could correct nd polish my understanding

Back