MTL advance setup, Nautilus 2, eleaf iStick query

Smokey_Robinson

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi...
I please need assistance in the following matter:
I started vaping 4 years ago, and due to personal issues, stopped about two years ago. Recently I had a heart attack and I know I have to start again vaping.

I started two months ago vaping again and moved into the pod system and nic salt route (aspire breeze 2 and 25mg salts). I haven't smoked in a month, but a month ago I started realizing the pod and salt system wasn't helping as a permanent device. Luckily I still had 3 x Eleaf Istick 20/30watt rechargeable battery kits from when I started and 3 Aspire Nautilus mini tanks. So I bought BVC 1.8ohm coils and 12-18mg normal juices, and at this stage I prefer them over the salt nics, probably old school loving the throat hits.

My question is that after 2 years not using these Istick batteries would they still be save to use in the long term, they still charge and hold a day to day and a half on 2000mha capacity. I normally vape on 4 - 4.8V (8.8 - 11W) settings on these VV/ VW batteries/mini mods.
I'm looking to replace the mini tanks with new nautilus 2 tanks as after two years the bases had a lot of gunk at bottom and in the process of cleaning them, I found the springs mounted on base had all broken in half or partly, but they still seem to work, should I go on with them or should I replace them? Looked on all SA websites, no replacement base sections.

My issue is not finding any battery/mod that falls within the 20-40 Watt range as I think 50/60 W is an overkill for me, and those available do not have the display/led screen with VV/VW settings and also not a big fan op pen styles. It does seem in the time I stopped vaping there has been a move away from MTL advanced kits and a move to sub ohms, and now these mini kits for salt nics, which is not working for me, only kit I could clearly find in S.A was the Aspire Zelos 50w kit, which seems to have issues also on the battery/mod section i.t.o. charging pins.
And I get mixed feedback, some say the mini tanks better then the nautilus 2 and visa versa.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

What juices are you mainly vaping @Smokey_Robinson ?

@Silver Honestly at this stage using 25mg of Pods and salts (RY4, appelkoosie) and Liqua 18ml (Two mints, American blend). Not lots of choice if you like 12 - 18mg normal e juice, most likely also give VapeKing's high nic home brand a try, as VapeJunction and Vapeking is close to me when I do shopping in Potch, but do also order...Many of the local companies I used to support sadly only seems to producing DL juice for sub ohms @ 0,3,6mg....

Hi @Smokey_Robinson

Look that Nautilus Mini is still a super tank and thats why I think one or two vendors still sell it. Not easy to find other MTL commercial coil tanks that beat it hugely I think.

Here's what I would suggest

Firstly, contact @BumbleBee at The Vape Guy and check if he might be able to assist you in sourcing those bases. You never know he might just be able to.

Then, put up a Wanted advert in the Classifieds Wanted subforum:
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/forums/wanted/
Even if you can get an old Nautilus Mini, you can use its base.

I would also suggest putting up a thread in the "Who has stock subforum"
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/who-has-stock.f68/

I dont think its a good idea to buy 3 bases from the overseas sites. It will either get delayed by SAPO here for months or if you pay DHL delivery it will negate the cost benefit of getting just the bases. I think DHL fast delivery would be around $50 or thereabouts.

If all the above fails, I would suggest getting maybe one or two of the new Nautilus Minis from The Vape Guy.

Then perhaps down the line get a rebuildable MTL tank. And perhaps a Pico mod.
So what I am suggesting is instead of having your 3 Nautilus Minis running - you could have 2 of them running and another vape setup - over time.

I got my Rose MTL also from the Vape Guy. Lovely little tank and it has a great flavour. It even comes with 4 prebuilt coils and you just wick it with your own cotton. Better flavour than the Nautilus Mini and you will save a lot in the long run not buying the commercial coils. To give you an idea - I am running Havana Nightz in my Rose MTL. I have been doing that for about 6 months and I am only on the second coil (out of 4) that came with it. I rewick about every 30ml of juice. Which takes me about 5 minutes. Easy tank to rewick. And we will show you how - its really not difficult.

@Silver Honestly using 25mg of Pods and mods (RY4, appelkoosie) and Liqua 18ml (Two mints, American blend). Not lots of choice if you like 12 - 18mg normal e juice, most likely also give VapeKing's high nic home brand a try, as VapeJunction and Vapeking is close to me when I do shopping in Potch, but do also order...Many of the local companies I used to support sadly only seems to producing DL juice for sub ohms @ 0,3,6mg....
Lots of 12mg Freebase Nic options available these days. Give Wiener Vape - Good Boy a go if you want an absolutely stunning Ry4 experience. Panama is also a great juice From them available in 12mg freebase. Then, J-E-L has also brought most of their range to freebase MTL and Nic Salts. Naeem is an excellent juice maker.

@Silver Honestly at this stage using 25mg of Pods and salts (RY4, appelkoosie) and Liqua 18ml (Two mints, American blend). Not lots of choice if you like 12 - 18mg normal e juice, most likely also give VapeKing's high nic home brand a try, as VapeJunction and Vapeking is close to me when I do shopping in Potch, but do also order...Many of the local companies I used to support sadly only seems to producing DL juice for sub ohms @ 0,3,6mg....

There is now a bit of a resurgence to MTL and some of the juice vendors are launching their juices in higher strengths again (and in salt nic format). But in normal nic they are offering MTL versions - 12mg on offer by some of them.

And then you get vendors like All Day Vapes and Vapour Mountain that can mix you the juice in whatever strength you like all the way up to 18mg. There are bound to be good juices from a few vendors that you would like that would work very well for you in MTL.

Also check with The Vape Guy as well. He makes his own juices too and some of them I have tried are fantastic. I am sure he could offer it to you in the strength you like.

@Silver and @Dela Rey Steyn .

Many thanks for your input, advice and time with me being a semi newbie again. Silver will follow your advice, and contact Vapeguy and maybe 2 other suppliers on two bases....see what happens. Rewick and build-able coils make me scared but I need to take the DIY route sooner or later, will try your option once I have my feet firm on the ground with two setups working and breeze 2 as backup while driving and fly fishing.
Thanks for juice info Dela Rey Steyn, will contact them, and Silver also. Nice kit, Dela Rey Steyn, but holding onto my iStick setup with nautilus for now.....might buy the Geek Vape flint down the line if the coil suppliers increase, still a new kit, maybe something else better or affordable might come in the new MTL revival....seems my timing to return was good :--)

Awesome thanks again guys!!!!!

Great to hear @Smokey_Robinson

Don't worry I promise you the rebuildable route is not hard. You will pick it up quickly. So much so that after your first few tries you will say 'I can't believe i didn't do this earlier'. Also a good idea to go to a vape Shop and they can help you in person the first time so you see how it's done.

I wouldnt give up on nicsalts before trying a 50mg. Have you yet? Three to 5 puffs and I'm sorted for another half hour.

Regarding batteries, I think I remember mooch stating that a fully charged battery stored will degrade by about 1% per year. Something like that. So as long as they still work I see no reason to replace them. Merely rewrap.

I wouldnt give up on nicsalts before trying a 50mg. Have you yet? Three to 5 puffs and I'm sorted for another half hour.

Regarding batteries, I think I remember mooch stating that a fully charged battery stored will degrade by about 1% per year. Something like that. So as long as they still work I see no reason to replace them. Merely rewrap.

The issue with the nic salts @Spyro is the lowish throat hit. Ie you get the cumulative nic loading which stems the cravings but with limited throat hit while taking the puff itself. This is something I have observed for myself too. Obviously it is different for each person but I suspect Smokeys requirement is similar to mine.

Smokey's batteries are the little iStick mods, not rewrappable 18650s

My personal opinion, for someone that recently had a heart attack, you should maybe consider trying really hard to go on 6mg nic and get it down to 3mg as quick as possible.
Im pretty sure I did not see a vapeshop in Viljoenskroon last time as was there so if you always have to drive 50km to buy something or order coils etc its costing more. So do the build your own coil and wick, its cheap and easy. A roll of wire and pack of cotton will cost R200 and can last a year, and you will get better flavour. Just do the maths on what youre bought coils cost, plus these bases that you want to replace and shipping etc, and maybe just buying another mtl tank or two will work out cheaper,

Hi @Smokey_Robinson

Look that Nautilus Mini is still a super tank and thats why I think one or two vendors still sell it. Not easy to find other MTL commercial coil tanks that beat it hugely I think.

Here's what I would suggest

Firstly, contact @BumbleBee at The Vape Guy and check if he might be able to assist you in sourcing those bases. You never know he might just be able to.

Then, put up a Wanted advert in the Classifieds Wanted subforum:
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/forums/wanted/
Even if you can get an old Nautilus Mini, you can use its base.

I would also suggest putting up a thread in the "Who has stock subforum"
https://www.ecigssa.co.za/who-has-stock.f68/

I dont think its a good idea to buy 3 bases from the overseas sites. It will either get delayed by SAPO here for months or if you pay DHL delivery it will negate the cost benefit of getting just the bases. I think DHL fast delivery would be around $50 or thereabouts.

If all the above fails, I would suggest getting maybe one or two of the new Nautilus Minis from The Vape Guy.

Then perhaps down the line get a rebuildable MTL tank. And perhaps a Pico mod.
So what I am suggesting is instead of having your 3 Nautilus Minis running - you could have 2 of them running and another vape setup - over time.

I got my Rose MTL also from the Vape Guy. Lovely little tank and it has a great flavour. It even comes with 4 prebuilt coils and you just wick it with your own cotton. Better flavour than the Nautilus Mini and you will save a lot in the long run not buying the commercial coils. To give you an idea - I am running Havana Nightz in my Rose MTL. I have been doing that for about 6 months and I am only on the second coil (out of 4) that came with it. I rewick about every 30ml of juice. Which takes me about 5 minutes. Easy tank to rewick. And we will show you how - its really not difficult.

@Smokey_Robinson I agree with @Silver that the Nautilus is great and, depending on which coil you use, it can be used for either freebase or nic salts. @BumbleBee of The Vape Guy stocks both types of coils (different ohmage). And I also agree that the best is to contact Bumblebee. I buy all my mods and coils from him as he really listens to what a customer's requirements are and doesn't try to sell you something which won't be right for you.

i think most starter kits can go fairly high with watts these days, you are going to struglle to find starter kits that are not pod systems that work in that low Watt range only.

here are some starter kit options i've found online:

https://www.vapeking.co.za/geek-vape-lucid-80w-kit-with-lumi-mesh-tank.html
https://www.vapeking.co.za/vaporesso-swag-80w-starter-kit.html

http://vapeguy.co.za/starter-kits/eleaf-amnis-mesh-kit
http://vapeguy.co.za/starter-kits/eleaf-pico-x-kit

https://www.vapecartel.co.za/collections/starter-kits/products/simple-ex-squonk-kit

https://www.thevapeden.co.za/collections/mods/products/vapor-storm-puma-baby-80w-box-mod
https://www.thevapeden.co.za/collections/mods/products/geekvape-flint-aio-mtl-kit-1000mah

The Pico's and the Swag kits are good starter mods and people use them often.

most of these kits can be bought with the mods alone at lower prices, the best is to have a look around, see what is in your budget and then ask on the forum for opinions from the people that have used them.

Good luck, and welcome back to the stinkie-free life!

@Dela Rey Steyn @Smokey_Robinson I'm sorry to say but I wouldn't get the Amnis. I have it and for me it gives no flavour, and the battery lasts for about 3 hours only. But if you're interested in buying it from me @Smokey_Robinson you're welcome to PM me.

The issue with the nic salts @Spyro is the lowish throat hit. Ie you get the cumulative nic loading which stems the cravings but with limited throat hit while taking the puff itself. This is something I have observed for myself too. Obviously it is different for each person but I suspect Smokeys requirement is similar to mine.

I hear you on that. Sorry, thought this was a standard pico.

@Silver

Jip, old school love my throat hits, doesn't matter the flavor. Nic salt work, but I found myself chasing the TH with salt and then sucking on salts of 25mg for 5minutes, and getting dizzy/ headaches.....not sure if it is due to restricted flow of breeze 2 or very light nic OD.

Love my box shaped kits, no fan of pen styles....

@Smokey_Robinson I agree with @Silver that the Nautilus is great and, depending on which coil you use, it can be used for either freebase or nic salts. @BumbleBee of The Vape Guy stocks both types of coils (different ohmage). And I also agree that the best is to contact Bumblebee. I buy all my mods and coils from him as he really listens to what a customer's requirements are and doesn't try to sell you something which won't be right for you.

Ok so here is my question.....

I have standard 1.8ohm BVC coils in my tank, so what prevents me from using nic salts in them? What will happen, because the ohms are over 1.0 ohms. Anybody please tell me?

@Silver

Jip, old school love my throat hits, doesn't matter the flavor. Nic salt work, but I found myself chasing the TH with salt and then sucking on salts of 25mg for 5minutes, and getting dizzy/ headaches.....not sure if it is due to restricted flow of breeze 2 or very light nic OD.

Love my box shaped kits, no fan of pen styles....
@Smokey_Robinson , That’s Nic overdose for sure, or pulling a Silver. One of the reasons I do not do nic salts or high nic. Weaned myself down to 2mg, and happy here as I love the flavour, so tend to take more drags more often, yet can go an couple of hours without any problems.

I can see no problem with the 1.8 ohm coils and salts, unless you do a 5 min session chasing the throat hit again. That’s where the danger lies. Imho you need a freebase high nic in a MTL setup for that TH you seems to chase with @Silver , no problems with that but you need the right tools for it, you don’t swat a mozzie on your face with a spade.

Many happy clouds to you and keep going, but be carefull with those nic salts.

@Room Fogger

Many thanks, I tend to use the breeze 2 and nic salt when on the move and in town, and at home have one nautilus mini on a iStick and another on a (don't laugh) a innokin gladius tank both with liqua 18mg (free base?) at home and vaping that for 5-10 minutes at a time, and it has helped reducing headaches. Think I will finish two 30ml bottles and switch to freebase completely....more for me vaping longer and looking for some TH.

Last edited:
Welcome back @Smokey_Robinson !

Those iSticks are legendary devices
I am still using my iStick20 with an Evod1 daily for MTL stealth vaping when out and about. And in the mornings - when I cant do direct lung hits. With 18mg Vapour Mountain Berry Blaze and extra menthol added. Works like a charm. That iStick20 of mine has been going for about 4 years or so - not a single problem.

I'd say keep with those iSticks of yours if you can. They are so great and a fantastic size. And the fact you have 3 of them is a big bonus.

Maybe just get some MTL tanks - cant really advise you here on ones with commercial coils (other than my Evod1) because for MTL I mainly use the Reos and rebuildable tanks (Rose MTL and Siren 2)

I fully agree with you on this advice @Silver.
@Smokey_Robinson just get a mtl tank or tanks. A good mtl tank is the twisp Vega tank. People don't hold on to these and for some reason it works for me. I had a glass issue but managed to fix it my way and it didn't leak yet.
Maybe you can post some pics of the tanks spring sections you are asking about and see what we can come up with in the meantime.
I tried Nic salts too and it just irritated my throat and lungs. And as you can see on the pic. I like a high wattage mtl so the pod systems is also not an ideal all-day vape although I use it throughout the day, I still feel that something is missing.

Attachments

• 15546210645981792762709817189951.jpg
    15546210645981792762709817189951.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 9
My kits....serious blast from the past :--)

But I kept them.....View attachment 162878

Ah and i spot the mighty Innokin MVP2
That was a legendary device indeed. Had two of them in daily use then transferred them to my wife (well she annexed them). They worked for about 4 years then the internal battery got tired and it wasnt showing the same life. But what an awesome mod! Big respect. Perfect for low power MTL.

I have standard 1.8ohm BVC coils in my tank, so what prevents me from using nic salts in them? What will happen, because the ohms are over 1.0 ohms. Anybody please tell me?
@Smokey_Robinson , That’s Nic overdose for sure, or pulling a Silver. One of the reasons I do not do nic salts or high nic. Weaned myself down to 2mg, and happy here as I love the flavour, so tend to take more drags more often, yet can go an couple of hours without any problems.

I can see no problem with the 1.8 ohm coils and salts, unless you do a 5 min session chasing the throat hit again. That’s where the danger lies. Imho you need a freebase high nic in a MTL setup for that TH you seems to chase with @Silver , no problems with that but you need the right tools for it, you don’t swat a mozzie on your face with a spade.

Many happy clouds to you and keep going, but be carefull with those nic salts.
Those coils are in the Aio? Same coils for both i guess?
If it's in the mini tanks it should be OK for the salts too but on something like 7-12 watt. Anything higher would bring you heartache and headaches.

@Smokey_Robinson You are using the correct ohms for nic salts :). Nic salts must never be sub-ohmed i.e. below 1 ohm.

Furthermore, nic salts must never be vaped at a wattage higher than about 10 - 12W (12W max). Nic salts contain a chemical called benzoic acid which is released at high wattages and it is harmful.

Bottom line for nic salts:

- Coil should be 1 ohm or higher
(unless you're using the EGO AIO ECO, which takes a 0.5 ohm coil, but the device was designed specifically for nic salts and the output wattage is only 7W)

- Wattage must not exceed 12W (this is very important)

And then you're good to go!

Last edited:
Ah and i spot the mighty Innokin MVP2
That was a legendary device indeed. Had two of them in daily use then transferred them to my wife (well she annexed them). They worked for about 4 years then the internal battery got tired and it wasnt showing the same life. But what an awesome mod! Big respect. Perfect for low power MTL.

@Silver
Jip I paired the MVP2 with monster kangertech mega aerotank on 4.5ml.... really suprised the SOCC coils can still work in the tank and be bought. Lovely tank when it works, but always had some leakage somehow when replacing coils or refilling tank, so not seeing it as option now. But used the mvp 2's powerbank function with last eskom load shedding episode and got cellphone from 5% - 55% after hours charge so still working.

Just sad about my two innokin gladius tanks.....had a last coil from those days and using it now.....really looked for coils, but seems there has been a version 2 tank and innokin has downgraded supplies in S.A.

Those coils are in the Aio? Same coils for both i guess?
If it's in the mini tanks it should be OK for the salts too but on something like 7-12 watt. Anything higher would bring you heartache and headaches.

@Resistance

Hi, not sure.....the coil of breeze Aio pod looks different and chunkier then the bvc coils, i'm used to.....ordered the bvc coils from vape junction and had only this description: "
v3eqvj3iIBOpBUiq10ORnwao79vr9_RS-Bn597CWp1sviV_lTryPF47cuexcPnrtAz7pwjQIfB2_mcXRn7fxFrvzY9H5g5t0GUtCrSh6yQj1dRxNwl19FINh-86cA8Si3GPrYpl4DyM2jptCO8iFp4CUxTRf4U6PPNfDcqcSCfvKQBmS6w=s0-d-e1-ft
Nautilus Mini BVC Coil (Singles) × 1
1.6ohm

Not sure if these are the upgrades or still same old coils from days I started vaping.
Jip I normally vape freebase with mini/istick combo between 8-13 watts.

I fully agree with you on this advice @Silver.
@Smokey_Robinson just get a mtl tank or tanks. A good mtl tank is the twisp Vega tank. People don't hold on to these and for some reason it works for me. I had a glass issue but managed to fix it my way and it didn't leak yet.
Maybe you can post some pics of the tanks spring sections you are asking about and see what we can come up with in the meantime.
I tried Nic salts too and it just irritated my throat and lungs. And as you can see on the pic. I like a high wattage mtl so the pod systems is also not an ideal all-day vape although I use it throughout the day, I still feel that something is missing.

@Resistance ..... like your setup, looks modern, especially the mod/battery section!!! Here are pic of bottoms of nautilus tanks....sorry to scared to open them more and damage seal rings, but like I said the springs in middle of bottom have all broken partly or at least half of the original length of what the springs total length was.

Pod/ nic systems work for me on the go.... but when funds allow might go against my taste and buy a pen style like the Uwell or Geekvape Flint as I think they are still better then the pod systems and compact enough to carry around?

Sorry just add, on picture you can see top one has more then half of spring clearly but lower bottom the spring has broken lower down and is almost same lever or below middle section ridge.

Attachments

• IMG_20190407_113931086.jpg
    IMG_20190407_113931086.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back